Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prostitution in Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

k_mac wrote: »
    Men have higher sex drives because of testosterone and inbuilt basic instinct.

Not sure if this is necessairly the case but theres definitely something to the notion that women (generally) dont think of sex in the same way as men (generally) do.

It may be down to nature, nurture or some combination thereof but thats the way it (generally) is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is necessairly the case but theres definitely something to the notion that women (generally) dont think iof sex in the same way as men (generally) do.

Despite what many people think, womean and men are very different. At the end of the day we are mammals and have specific reasons for being originally made and our bodies reflect this. All you have to do is look at other mammals. The same basic instincts are built into us but we have also been given the intelligence to choose our own ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I can't help but think that we can do so much better for our society. Learning to move beyond the understanding that women and men are merely sex objects to be used by one another would be highly productive.

Interestingly, the left right debate has come into this thread. Taking this as purely an economic standpoint it would seem more leftist to suggest that prostitution should collapse than right wing. If there wasn't a market of buying and selling in the same way anymore there wouldn't be a single soul involved in it. It is only when we treat sexuality as a commodity that we get into these issues. This doesn't really only happen in prostitution but in other related fields also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

28064212 wrote: »
    There would, of course, still be problems. The same way there are still smuggled cigarettes even though it's legal. What it would mean is that people who do choose to do it would be protected. And that resources could be dedicated to fight traffickers etc.

Examples? In the Netherlands, it has removed many of the problems associated with prostitution. "Seediness" is a perception issue, which is completely irrelevant

That's not true. Taking your example of the Netherlands, the vast majority of prostitution there is controlled by pimps. There was a pimp arrested for illegal activity in Amsterdam a few years back that impacted a third of the prostitution workforce.
    wrote:
    No-one said that. What they are saying is that if someone is willing to receive payment to provide it, they should be allowed do so.

That's a very short sighted view. It doesn't take into account why someone is willing to take payment. An individual's socio and economic circumstances will determine in many cases what they are willing to do for money., Have you ever begrudgingly taken a crap job because you needed the money?

With so many young foreign women involved I find it hard to accept that many girls get up aged 19 and decide to become a prostitute as a career move. Granted they're may be some women who enjoy but I expect they are in the minority and would probably ratter be doing someone else.

Studies have shown that over the long term many women develop psychological problems as a result of a career in prostitution.

If the rest of the world where it is legal is anything to go by, I don't see where the benefit is in legalising it. It only risks pushing more unwilling participants into it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Jakkass wrote: »
    Learning to move beyond the understanding that women and men are merely sex objects to be used by one another would be highly productive.

understanding that prostitution does not involve the sale of men and women as sex objects but rather certain men and women selling their "services" would be better

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    understanding that prostitution does not involve the sale of men and women as sex objects but rather certain men and women selling their "services" would be better

I honestly don't see the difference. You are selling your body to be used for sexual gratification in becoming a prostitute.

The world would be a better place if people were regarded for the fullness of their being rather than for a solely sexual purpose. This attitude is a blight to humanity as I would see it. It causes untold suffering and pain even if it can be argued that in isolated cases people are "perfectly happy" to do it.

Again, this seems much more like a free market economic stance that we should have no limits on what can be sold or bought, rather than a left wing point of view. Your view seems more "right wing" to me than that of MUSSOLINI's. Unless you are also including conservatism and liberalism in that definition, which as I would see it is inaccurate.

I honestly don't see the difference. You are selling your body to be used for sexual gratification in becoming a prostitute.

The world would be a better place if people were regarded for the fullness of their being rather than for a solely sexual purpose. This attitude is a blight to humanity as I would see it. It causes untold suffering and pain even if it can be argued that in isolated cases people are "perfectly happy" to do it.

Again, this seems much more like a free market economic stance that we should have no limits on what can be sold or bought, rather than a left wing point of view. Your view seems more "right wing" to me than that of MUSSOLINI's. Unless you are also including conservatism and liberalism in that definition, which as I would see it is inaccurate.

How is it any different than selling your services as a cleaner or gardener? To many people sex is simply a need which must be satisfied like hunger or thirst.

faceman wrote: »
    Granted they're may be some women who enjoy but I expect they are in the minority and would probably ratter be doing someone else.

you can't assume this unless you interview each and every girl in the business
    Studies have shown that over the long term many women develop psychological problems as a result of a career in prostitution.

studies have shown that people have developed psychological problems as a result of careers in numerous fields, military, office work, medical; should we make those careers illegal too??

of course protitution in some cases will lead to psychological problems and most of those problems have to do with the fact thats its illegal in the first place
    If the rest of the world where it is legal is anything to go by, I don't see where the benefit is in legalising it. It only risks pushing more unwilling participants into it IMO.

the criminalisation of anything is far worse imo, we have seen time and time again this past 100 years that prohibition doesn't work in various fields, it only leads to a violent unregulated black market, same with prostitution

How is it any different than selling your services as a cleaner or gardener? To many people sex is simply a need which must be satisfied like hunger or thirst.

I'd see this as another damaging notion. Working as a gardener is entirely different to being a prostitute. In one case one is giving all of their dignity to someone, this is wholly different to working a day with ones skills to improve ones garden.

Regardless of how people may say it is a need to be satisfied, everyone knows that there is more significance to it than this.

People deserve more respect than this. That's a huge reason why I am opposed to it.

To many people sex is simply a need which must be satisfied like hunger or thirst.

In fairness thats a bit of an exxaguration,

While sex does have its benefits (and risks) to physical and mental health Im not aware of many instances of people dying from lack of sex ?
    Working as a gardener is entirely different to being a prostitute. In one case one is giving all of their dignity to someone, this is wholly different to working a day with ones skills to improve ones garden.
    Dignity is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. Some people may find more dignity in a minimum wage sweatshop than in prostution. Others mightnt !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I'd see this as another damaging notion. Working as a gardener is entirely different to being a prostitute. In one case one is giving all of their dignity to someone, this is wholly different to working a day with ones skills to improve ones garden.

Regardless of how people may say it is a need to be satisfied, everyone knows that there is more significance to it than this.

People deserve more respect than this. That's a huge reason why I am opposed to it.

Where you, I or anyone else likes it, some people see sex as nothing other than a pleasurable function. Many many people 'give themselves' to people they never met before, who they have barely exchangede two words with, and who they will never see again. They scarcely see this as 'giving all of their dignity to' that person.

All the proponents of legalised prostitution are suggesting is that individuals are allowed to make their own decision as to how they use their own bodies, and that they are not criminalised for it.

drkpower wrote: »
    Where you, I or anyone else likes it, some people see sex as nothing other than a pleasurable function. Many many people 'give themselves' to people they never met before, who they have barely exchangede two words with, and who they will never see again. They scarcely see this as 'giving all of their dignity to' that person.

All the proponents of legalised prostitution are suggesting is that individuals are allowed to make their own decision as to how they use their own bodies, and that they are not criminalised for it.

This a discussion forum, as such I can only provide you with my opinion. Other people no doubt differ, I've made as much clear.

I see such understandings of sexuality as being greatly harmful both on an individual level, and if they permeate much further than this damaging on a societal level.

I don't see how anyone could regard such interactions as being desirable in our society.

As for positions of legalised prostitution saying that they can make an informed decision. I doubt this can be achieved given the huge factor of financial coercion particularly in the case of immigrants with limited English. If people cannot find a job, one might feel as if there is no other option. Secondly, it is ignoring the huge problem of human trafficking in this country which leads many teenagers into the business.

I guess it is because of a strong belief that I have in human potential that I think we should leave prostitution as an archaic remnant of the past where it belongs. We have a responsibility to stand up and do what is best. Without a doubt as I see it it is eradicating prostitution.
    Dignity is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. Some people may find more dignity in a minimum wage sweatshop than in prostution. Others mightnt !

I'm not a moral relativist, I don't see how this position can make sense in moral judgement and decision making. Same point applies to drkpower also actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

This a discussion forum, as such I can only provide you with my opinion. Other people no doubt differ, I've made as much clear.

Fine; so you dont think other people should be criminalised for acting on the basis of their opinions then?

Because if you do believe they should be criminalised, it is far far more than merely your own opinion.

i ain't debating the morals of prostitution or whether its the right thing to do, i am debating that it should be legalised, prostitution will exist legal or not, its a huge business, its not going away just be turning our back and ignoring it; if we legalise it there will be many benefits both for the prostitute and the exchequer, if we keep it illegal many of the problems (ironically outlined by those opposed to its legality) will remain and get worse over time

I'm not a moral relativist, I don't see how this position can make sense in moral judgement and decision making.

In an ideal world people wouldnt be forced to choose between prostitution and minimum wage slavery but back here in the real world things arent so simple.

Id quite like to be the Queen of England but I suspect meeting the qualifications could be difficult and there hasnt been an opening for nearly sixty years :pac:

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i ain't debating the morals of prostitution or whether its the right thing to do, i am debating that it should be legalised, prostitution will exist legal or not, its a huge business, its not going away just be turning our back and ignoring it; if we legalise it there will be many benefits both for the prostitute and the exchequer, if we keep it illegal many of the problems (ironically outlined by those opposed to its legality) will remain and get worse over time

In this case they both coincide. The State can either stand up and do the right thing or not. Benefiting from what is wrong, is nonetheless wrong. It is akin to taking blood money albeit not quite as extreme.
    Mike 1972 wrote:
    In an ideal world people wouldnt be forced to choose between prostitution and minimum wage slavery but back here in the real world things arent so simple.

Excellent point. I'm an idealist, I want to see the world being a better place, and unless we take steps to tackle the problems that face us now, the world will never be a better place.
    drkpower wrote:
    Fine; so you dont think other people should be criminalised for acting on the basis of their opinions then?

Because if you do believe they should be criminalised, it is far far more than merely your own opinion.

I think we should adopt the Stockholm model of dealing with prostitution. Don't criminalise the victim, criminalise the exploiter, provide help and assistance for the victim.

I don't believe all opinions have equal validity, I assume that you don't either. Just because someone has an opinion that rape is OK doesn't mean that we should legalise rape, the same is true in this case.

There is only as much significance as you as an individual place on it.
    In fairness thats a bit of an exxaguration,

While sex does have its benefits (and risks) to physical and mental health Im not aware of many instances of people dying from lack of sex ?

It doesn't result in death but sex is very important for living a full life.

On a different note Ive often wondered why more prostitutes/ex-prostitutes dont write memoirs. Some of them would be quite interesting (even if they didnt name the various pillars of society whose custom they recieved :D)

Might help answer a few questions/clear up some myths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Just because someone isn't dieing, does not mean they are living. Though regular, empty sex with a prossie can not be as rewarding as passionate, lustful, loving sex, it certainly could break the monotony of w**king.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

2 stroke wrote: »
    Just because someone isn't dieing, does not mean they are living. Though regular, empty sex with a prossie can not be as rewarding as passionate, lustful, loving sex, it certainly could break the monotony of w**king.

Especially if it's a 2 stroke :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Biggins wrote: »
    * I would consider it as a sad measure of desperate person.
    * No.
    * Yes.
    * Very - thru work for the Dublin Rape Crises Centre
    * No. Absolute never.

Come on biggins, don't let me down :P

Not sure if this is necessairly the case but theres definitely something to the notion that women (generally) dont think of sex in the same way as men (generally) do.

Very true.
    It may be down to nature, nurture or some combination thereof but thats the way it (generally) is.

It's basic animal instict, women want to reproduce, men want to reproduce with as many women as possible.

It's this moral crap we created that prevents us from doing so. It's "wrong"... somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

As for positions of legalised prostitution saying that they can make an informed decision. I doubt this can be achieved given the huge factor of financial coercion particularly in the case of immigrants with limited English. If people cannot find a job, one might feel as if there is no other option. Secondly, it is ignoring the huge problem of human trafficking in this country which leads many teenagers into the business
    You are equating trafficking and forced prostitution with legalised, regulated prostitution. But the former is not made legal because the latter is.

What is your take on this scenario: a woman who decides, competely informed and of her own free will, that, rather than work in McDonalds or go on the dole, she would like to be a prostitute. She was not coerced, she was not trafficked, she is not on drugs, she employs herself, she was not abused as a child, she practices sex that is as safe as possible and she has no hangups about whether men see her as a sex object or not. Should what she wants to do be illegal? Why?

That's the fourth time I've posted that scenario (here and in the humanities forum) to the prohibition side, and so far no-one has responded to it
    I guess it is because of a strong belief that I have in human potential that I think we should leave prostitution as an archaic remnant of the past where it belongs. We have a responsibility to stand up and do what is best. Without a doubt as I see it it is eradicating prostitution.
    Replace prostitution with homosexuality in that paragraph. Would you agree with that sentiment? You are attempting to force your morals on someone else. I have no objection to you saying you don't think prostitution is a good idea, or to setting up support groups to help people who choose to leave prostitution. What I do have a problem with is you deciding what two consenting and informed adults are allowed to do
    In this case they both coincide. The State can either stand up and do the right thing or not. Benefiting from what is wrong, is nonetheless wrong. It is akin to taking blood money albeit not quite as extreme.
    It is not the state's job to stand up for morals. If it was, it would have to choose one set of morals that would restrict many, many people from what they want to do. People make moral choices. States do not
    I think we should adopt the Stockholm model of dealing with prostitution. Don't criminalise the victim, criminalise the exploiter, provide help and assistance for the victim.
    So drive it further underground? Make it in the pimps, handlers and traffickers best interests that prostitutes have absolutely nowhere to go and no-one to turn to?
    I don't believe all opinions have equal validity, I assume that you don't either. Just because someone has an opinion that rape is OK doesn't mean that we should legalise rape, the same is true in this case.
    Are both parties fully informed and have they consented to rape? Obviously not. So it has absolutely no relevance here. The law's job is to protect people who can't protect themselves. It is not/should not be to interfere in a transaction between two willing and informed

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

It's basic animal instict, women want to reproduce, men want to reproduce with as many women as possible.

Wouldnt attribute it entirely to nature. Id venture that cuture and upbringing have a role too. The old double standards and myths about "nice girls" might be a crock of shyte but its amazing how a lot of people will stat to believe (subconciously or otherwise) something when its repeated often enough.

Besides as a bloke I could do with more sex (PM for details :D) but im actually not that mad keen on all this reproducing stuff :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Just because someone has an opinion that rape is OK doesn't mean that we should legalise rape, the same is true in this case.

Is there a law forbidding rape between informed, consenting, adult humans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Nope. I have no desire to reproduce and never did. Guess what, there's loads of other women who feel strongly that they don't want to reproduce either.

Funny thing is, the internet is full of adult dating sites and place where you can hook up with men for No Strings Attached One Night Stands, not to mention the amount of married/attached men with kids who are looking for cybersex, or sex chat on IM.

Are they just too mean to pay for sex?? Why don't they just go straight to a prostitute?

Or do they actually think its somehow more 'moral' to treat women as some kind of unpaid sex worker?

You are equating trafficking and forced prostitution with legalised, regulated prostitution. But the former is not made legal because the latter is.

You can't but equate them. There is no effective way of weeding out people who do not wish to be in prostitution in prostitution from the minority of those who do. Prostitution goes hand in hand with human trafficking wherever you go whether the prostitution is technically legal or illegal.
    What is your take on this scenario: a woman who decides, competely informed and of her own free will, that, rather than work in McDonalds or go on the dole, she would like to be a prostitute. She was not coerced, she was not trafficked, she is not on drugs, she employs herself, she was not abused as a child, she practices sex that is as safe as possible and she has no hangups about whether men see her as a sex object or not. Should what she wants to do be illegal? Why?

I don't know if that would be possible entirely of ones own free will. There would be other factors involved in the decision. As for regarding being respected as a "hang up" this is absurd. All people should earnestly desire to be respected for who they are in their fullness not just as a sexual object.

Reach the pinnacle of your ability through education, find a job where you are thoroughly satisfied and where you are fully respected for who you are, raise a family, don't raise a family, see the world, so on and so forth. The world is ones oyster.
    That's the fourth time I've posted that scenario (here and in the humanities forum) to the prohibition side, and so far no-one has responded to it

The only problem with your scenario is that it is fictional.
    Replace prostitution with homosexuality in that paragraph. Would you agree with that sentiment? You are attempting to force your morals on someone else. I have no objection to you saying you don't think prostitution is a good idea, or to setting up support groups to help people who choose to leave prostitution. What I do have a problem with is you deciding what two consenting and informed adults are allowed to do

Again, I don't believe in moral relativism in the matter of prostitution which as I've said already causes untold suffering in a bucketload of cases. It is about respecting other people. In fact it is about human consideration and compassion.

Also this thread isn't about homosexuality, and there is very little comparison between either. I think if I was to replace prostitution with homosexuality in that passage I find something ridiculous arises. Namely this sentence.
    What is your take on this scenario: a woman who decides, competely informed and of her own free will, that, rather than work in McDonalds or go on the dole, she would like to be homosexual

The choice would never be between working in McDonalds and deciding to live an LGBT lifestyle.
    It is not the state's job to stand up for morals. If it was, it would have to choose one set of morals that would restrict many, many people from what they want to do. People make moral choices. States do not

It is the State's job to stand up for peoples welfare, rights and dignity. Prostitution compromises all three. As someone who believes in securing these, I stand up against prostitution.

I believe States do make moral choices in cases where it is significant to peoples rights.
    So drive it further underground? Make it in the pimps, handlers and traffickers best interests that prostitutes have absolutely nowhere to go and no-one to turn to?

Not at all. Help the people who are unfortunate enough to find themselves in the position of prostitution to seek better for themselves and to punish those who have exploited them.

More about the Swedish law, and the Icelandic and Norwegian versions adopted soon after.
    Are both parties fully informed and have they consented to rape? Obviously not. So it has absolutely no relevance here. The law's job is to protect people who can't protect themselves. It is not/should not be to interfere in a transaction between two willing and informed

In the case of prostitution many are financially coerced into it. I personally don't see any reason why this couldn't be considered rape.

The law's job is certainly to protect people who cannot protect themselves. In an awful lot of cases this is true in the prostitution business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

It should be legal IMO, I have been over to Amsterdam twice in the last 4 years and there is nothing wrong with it at all. Went in, did my business and left. Matter of fact, there are women coming from all over Europe to work in Amsterdam.

Another point, I have been to Madrid and London aswell, and it is "illegal" there aswell. But it is WAY more viewable. In Madrid, in 2PM in the afternoon the equivalent of Henry Street/Dublin or Oliver Plunkett Street/Cork is lined with prostitutes. About 10 prostitutes hanging around. There were many Gardaí (Policia Nacional) BTW around. In London I saw prostitutes a lot on the main streets, including one time looking down a back alley and seeing 20+ at the same times.

So while prostituion is "illegal" here and "illegal" in England/Spain, it is way more easier to access in those places. Here you normally have to wait till 1-2 in the morning, and even then you are not guaranteed anything. It just goes to show there is "illegal" and ILLEGAL. I think the church has a big part to say in prostitution/sex in Ireland ATM.

CorkMan wrote: »
    Another point, I have been to Madrid and London aswell, and it is "illegal" there aswell.

Is prostitution illegal in Spain ? I heard it wasnt although not 100% on the reliability of my source.

In London it is technically legal as long as one doesnt actually do it (something like that. Explained better earlier in the thread)

Do they still advertise in phoneboxes over there ? Or is it all done out of dogdy looking clubs where one is invited to "buy the girl a drink" for some astronomical price ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Is prostitution illegal in Spain ? I heard it wasnt although not 100% on the reliability of my source.

In London it is technically legal as long as one doesnt actually do it (something like that. Explained better earlier in the thread)

Do they still advertise in phoneboxes over there ? Or is it all done out of dogdy looking clubs where one is invited to "buy the girl a drink" for some astronomical price ?

In Spain it is the same as Ireland, technically legal but no brothels/soliciting etc.

I cannot recollect a phonebox in either place, but I saw all the prostitutes on the street. No club or anything, they approach you, sometimes grab you, and bring you up to a bedroom.

• Advertisement

In the case of prostitution many are financially coerced into it. I personally don't see any reason why this couldn't be considered rape.

were you financially coerced into your job or did you pick it because of others reasons??

of course people are financially coerced into it, many make very good money in the business, porn stars charge upwards of $1500+ an hour for their services, thats much more than many make in the porn business

whether you disagree or agree with the practice comparing rape and consensual sex between two adults for money is ridiculous
    The law's job is certainly to protect people who cannot protect themselves. In an awful lot of cases this is true in the prostitution business.

ironically the law's job is made much more difficult when something is illegal. many prostitutes won't go the police if attacked/raped/robbed etc because of the repercussions it would have on them personally and their line of work

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement