Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 VW Passat problem- Fuel injector 2nd failure in 10 months

Options
  • 31-08-2010 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all,

My dad has a 2006 VW passat 2.0 TDi estate. Last december one of the fuel injectors failed and had to be replaced. This was handled by park motors and took over a month due to some horrendous service between themselves and VW.

Now the other day the fuel injector went again the exact same problem. The car just died on the m50, now warning nothing. As the service was so poor lastime and the price was so high my dad took the car to another garage he was recommended to by a friend, who said he cant tell if it was the new injector which failed. I however told his that he should take it straight back to the dealer and demand some action be taken.

Some info about the car

EST 80,000 KM
    Mainly driven 20k round trip to work mon - sat
    No accidents
    Always serviced within 1,000km of warning
    No other problems

Any help with this issue would be great as i think this may be a underlying issue with this model as the VW forum shows many also complaining about a similar issue. Luckily in Ireland we have decent consumer laws which may be able to force VW to do something if one could prove the car was not fit for its advertised purpose of a reasonable amount of time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

macken04 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My dad has a 2006 VW passat 2.0 TDi estate. Last december one of the fuel injectors failed and had to be replaced. This was handled by park motors and took over a month due to some horrendous service between themselves and VW.

Now the other day the fuel injector went again the exact same problem. The car just died on the m50, now warning nothing. As the service was so poor lastime and the price was so high my dad took the car to another garage he was recommended to by a friend, who said he cant tell if it was the new injector which failed. I however told his that he should take it straight back to the dealer and demand some action be taken.

Some info about the car

EST 80,000 KM
    Mainly driven 20k round trip to work mon - sat
    No accidents
    Always serviced within 1,000km of warning
    No other problems

Any help with this issue would be great as i think this may be a underlying issue with this model as the VW forum shows many also complaining about a similar issue. Luckily in Ireland we have decent consumer laws which may be able to force VW to do something if one could prove the car was not fit for its advertised purpose of a reasonable amount of time

Good luck getting blood from stone that is VWGI.

We have 100's of Passat's on fleet, and VW give us no goodwill at all on replacing injectors.

I wouldn't bother taking it back to a main dealer as they'll charge you to diagnose it. Take it straight to your friendly indy mechanic and get them to do it as reasonably as possible.

Our indy did injector no2 on one recently for around €700 + VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

thanks for the reply. My dads issue is that he payed to have the it replaced 10 months ago and its gone again. Surly these parts should last longer then 4 years the car was brand new when purchased.

From my reading a lot of people seem to e having related problems with the 2006 tdi model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

If your in dublin ring AD Dublin, their off the naas road and they will tell you what injector is giving the trouble in 2 mins. they can also repair the problem or replace parts if needed. all you will do complaining about this to the dealer is give yourself a headach, its been too long since it was with them and it may not even be the same injector!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If they are not giving huge fleet customers any goodwill, Id say its a lost cause. Having said that, they should get plenty abuse over each & every one of these failures. Those early cars of that model really are terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If it is the same injector surely there is a warranty on the replacement? I reckon you might have a case with a replacement part if it is under 12 months. I dont know about the labour side of things though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

I believe the loom could be the culpret in alot of the cases.Get it replaced first of all and if no success get the injector replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

thanks all
    its booked into local garage and he said its defo the injector. A few things are going to be done. If its the same part we will take our case to VW under warranty. If its a different one we are going to look into the quality of the parts and see if there may be a known issue as many people have a similar problem. My dad is also going to look into the diesel being used to see if poor quality diesel could be causing an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ktp

looks like I am in the same boat.. my 2.0L diesel 2007 B6 passat sat down on roadside the other day.. was removed to VW dealer and have said I have to replace the injector (and wire loom).

I gather from previous posts that no-one out there has got any satisfaction from VW Ireland??? or even some contribution.. the repairs are serious money.

any comments welcome..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Moanin wrote: »
    I believe the loom could be the culpret in alot of the cases.Get it replaced first of all and if no success get the injector replaced?
    ktp wrote: »
    looks like I am in the same boat.. my 2.0L diesel 2007 B6 passat sat down on roadside the other day.. was removed to VW dealer and have said I have to replace the injector (and wire loom).

I gather from previous posts that no-one out there has got any satisfaction from VW Ireland??? or even some contribution.. the repairs are serious money.

any comments welcome..

Add me to the list as well. 06 B6 Passat 2.0Tdi. 2 injectors, and 2 looms, in........3 month's ? €800 each time........:mad:

Only a matter of time before it does it again. Will not be replaced by another VW, I assure you.......

I was told by garage that the loom is a sacrificial part, but not sure how true that is..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

OP if it is the same OE injector that has failed then it would be covered under the manufacturers warranty as they are legally obliged under block exemption to provide a minimum of 12 months warranty on parts supplied and fitted at a dealership.
    However if it is the same injector and the fault has been caused by bad fuel then it would not be covered. Either way I would have thought that the only way for you to have any come back would have been to let the opriginal repairing dealer diagnose the fault at least then you could have decided to bring it to an indy repairer if it was not covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

macken04 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply. My dads issue is that he payed to have the it replaced 10 months ago and its gone again. Surly these parts should last longer then 4 years the car was brand new when purchased.

From my reading a lot of people seem to e having related problems with the 2006 tdi model
    Yep, the joys of modern diesels. They're pressed to within an inch of their lives for low CO2 and high bhp.
    Our diesel in this country is part of the problem. Some makes will be worse than others, but there's no such thing as a reliable diesel anymore. Petrol's for the win! (until twin-charging and other such low cc high bhp moves cripple those too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Yikes, VW have really gone to the dogs.

The list of really expensive parts that break on these cars is crazy.

DMF
    DPF?
    Injectors + looms

Any other expensive parts that go on relatively new VW's?

Surely total cost of ownership up to 100k km's on these diesels must be way higher than the petrol versions (unless you have a good one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Off topic kinda.......so what is the usual lifespan of diesel injectors & do they have any sort of service interval to be checked/cleaned etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Two points,

As somebody allready mentioned. If it is the same injector that has failed and you allready paid for one to be replaced ten months ago, it will be covered under warranty.
    If your new mechanic can't tell if it is the replaced injector that has failed again, its probably best to bring it to someone else that can determine this for you.
    If it is another injector that is the original from new, then thats just bad luck, there are two more there that could also fail over time.

Either way, its best to bring into any VW dealer to determine which injector is gone. You have no hope of getting warranty any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I always get worried with all this talk of problems in the TDi. I've a new model '05 1.9 one and that I bought in '08 and barring a DMF failure under warranty, she's perfect for me!

I'd did test drive a 2.0 Tdi one at the time I was buying her, that was a highline model with leather, but the price was a bit out of reach for me. I subsequently heard that the injector failed on it twice and in the end, the garage had to take it back.

Is the problem only with the 2.0 Tdi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

galwaytt wrote: »
    Add me to the list as well. 06 B6 Passat 2.0Tdi. 2 injectors, and 2 looms, in........3 month's ? €800 each time........:mad:

Only a matter of time before it does it again. Will not be replaced by another VW, I assure you.......

I was told by garage that the loom is a sacrificial part, but not sure how true that is..........

God your really having car trouble. First with the Mazda. Is there any way of preventing injector failure such as replacing the fuel filter more frequently..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

If your in dublin ring AD Dublin, their off the naas road and they will tell you what injector is giving the trouble in 2 mins. they can also repair the problem or replace parts if needed. all you will do complaining about this to the dealer is give yourself a headach, its been too long since it was with them and it may not even be the same injector!

Or if you know which injector is gone, snd it to them and they can fix / recondition it and sent it back, 01-4260552

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You guys really aren't making me feel better here! :p

I've a 06 2.0 TDI Passat with the DSG box and 137000 km on the clock. Haven't had any major issues - so far! - with it, although the DMF is gradually on the way out (there's a rattle coming from that area when the car is idling) and I've been quoted 1000 STERLING to fix it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

-Corkie- wrote: »
    God your really having car trouble. First with the Mazda. Is there any way of preventing injector failure such as replacing the fuel filter more frequently..

I don't think so, and a fleet manager I know, who has looked into his fleet, comprised of Renault, Mondeo, Mazda etc finds that troubles are across the board. Interestingly, he sees more trouble on diesel cars used within striking distance of NI. Make of that what you will.

Passat is co car, so no skin off my nose - my private car is a Saab 9-3 diesel which has, thus far, beaten everthing else..........

But, given my own money, I'd be back to petrol, and I like the idea of a Lexus GS in the future.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've 178,000km on my 05 2.0Tdi (BKD) and have suffered from nothing more than non starter one morning totally random about 4 months ago after an indy done an oil change. Just as a matter of interest are these cars remapped?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭dub7_2010

You should return to the dealer for a diagnostic to confirm which injector has failed. You have 2 years warranty on the injector that was replaced if it has failed. Looms are replaced with each injector as recommended by VW.

You say he had to wait 1 month for the repair to be completed.....why?
    Was that 1 month from the moment he gave authorization?
    Also the car is a 2006 model and well outside warranty. Was it serviced at a main dealer?
    Is it an import?
    How much did the repair cost and did he get any goodwill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Makes me feel a little better that I bought a petrol 2.5 legacy this year and turned up the chance at a diesel audi. Had a diesel Mondeo a couple of years ago, TDDI engine, had it for 3 years when the fuel lift pump went, cost just shy of a grand to fix after everything was added up, since then have had petrols with no problems. But in saying that most of my friends have diesels and have yet to encounter issues.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Off topic kinda.......so what is the usual lifespan of diesel injectors & do they have any sort of service interval to be checked/cleaned etc?

I had a 98 passat 110 bhp and it has gone to 250k MILES without problem on the injectors

after I sold on the 98 passat I had a year 2000 90bhp passat .. that is now heading for 200,000 miles ... again no injector problems... there can be no explanation for it other than the injectors being a deficient component... i.e. they are prematurely failing...it is clearly a weak point and very costly one for the owner unless VW help out with the costs.

Separately I ha

BigEejit wrote: »

DMF
    DPF?
    Injectors + looms

YES... you can add the steering column unit that goes.. it is causing problems in mine.. typical symptoms are having to insert/reinsert the key fob several times to get the car started. It happens intermittently ... could be 5 times in a day or 1 time in a week. It has often taken me 5+minutes to get the car going. It just started happening earlier in the year and has been there since. The repair costs have come down a lot as one time the whole column unit had to be replaced but now just a single component.. but can still cost 300-500 Euro I believe.

I agree with the other posts... there are new costs to owning and repairing diesels that were not there 10 years ago and they are crippling..

galwaytt wrote: »

did you have any joy wity your dealer or VW ireland helping out with the costs???

seems mad that VW would gain from us poor sods having to pay out big money to replace faulty components.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭dub7_2010

ktp wrote: »
    BigEejit wrote: »

DMF
    DPF?
    Injectors + looms

YES... you can add the steering column unit that goes.. it is causing problems in mine.. typical symptoms are having to insert/reinsert the key fob several times to get the car started. It happens intermittently ... could be 5 times in a day or 1 time in a week. It has often taken me 5+minutes to get the car going. It just started happening earlier in the year and has been there since. The repair costs have come down a lot as one time the whole column unit had to be replaced but now just a single component.. but can still cost 300-500 Euro I believe.

I agree with the other posts... there are new costs to owning and repairing diesels that were not there 10 years ago and they are crippling..

DMF and injector are a known issues . DPF's dont give any problem apart from the pressure sensor. Most faults with DPF's are because are due to customers not reading the owners manual regarding the regeneration process.

Steering locks are now being replaced without the need for the complete upper column. You can now expect to pay between 50 and 100% labour cost only (150-300 euros)

As some users may be aware failure of Injectors (unrepairable) in VAG PD170 diesel engines is more than common.. from looking at some UK forums it appears that Audi garages in the UK are replacing injectors in peoples cars that have suffered failure regardless of warranty and independent servicing. Anyone heard of any similar cases here in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Not yet did you email Vosa about it???

who are vosa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Advertisement