Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merit Placing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

delancey42 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your bad news Bubbles . Thanks for sharing your experience here - did the letter refer to the freeze situation at all or was it the stock '' you have not made it to the pool of qualified candidates , etc '' ?

Yep, thats the one, "Although you have made it to the pool etc". No mention on the freeze at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 magee1986

got my dear john this morning, knew it was coming still gutted tho lol :rolleyes: plenty of room for improvement tho any one know if tuition is way to go to get a higher mark in ac?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

I had tuition and got high 50s on my first ever attempt, which I was happy with. I know some people on here are not proponents of tuition, but I found it extremely helpful. The better tutors (in my opinion) do not advertise and you have to know a 'friend of a friend' etc to get a place. It's also quite expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 magee1986

i only scored 49 i know there is a lot of room for improvement, think ill try get tuition for my next attempt fairly sure i left out a lot of buzzwords in my roleplays. i know its not cheap but surely worth a try as a few extra marks can make the difference lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

magee1986 wrote: »
    i only scored 49 i know there is a lot of room for improvement, think ill try get tuition for my next attempt fairly sure i left out a lot of buzzwords in my roleplays. i know its not cheap but surely worth a try as a few extra marks can make the difference lol

I can't say that ' buzzwords ' are the key to a good AC score - I undertook no tuition and scored comfortably over 60 which I attribute to having a lot of experience dealing with customers/staff in my job.
    That said , I have heard of some very good scores from people who took tuition which as has been mentioned can be expensive - very much a personal choice I guess.

Moderator note - Be sure not to post names or details of tuition providers - for PM only , thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 first_timer10

Cheers for the quick reply delancey42. Well got my merit score and as expected not good, 1150!First time applying for the police so will hopefully learn from my mistakes. RC, Vetting Forms sent but only managed a 49 in the AC. Situational Interview really let me down but at least i know were to improve for next time.

Looking forward to getting home to find my Dear John letter :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

I had tuition in the past.

It is a help, but it's not the golden ticket.

You still have to preform on the day and it comes down to your personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hereshoping

Phoned today for my merit score - AC result was 56 - merit place is in 300-320 bracket for a NRC.

Have not received vetting forms or medical info yet

Phoned today for my merit score - AC result was 56 - merit place is in 300-320 bracket for a NRC.

Have not received vetting forms or medical info yet

Same as myself.

A NRC, AC 57 and merit place of 295 - 305.

With no vetting or medical forms. I dont understand why we have not recieved any of these, as we are still in the race with those stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Same as myself.

A NRC, AC 57 and merit place of 295 - 305.

With no vetting or medical forms. I dont understand why we have not recieved any of these, as we are still in the race with those stats.

They seem to have put the starting point for vetting forms as 58 in the AC for NRC's. I looked at Beccas list before and thats the lowest mark any NRC has received vetting forms at.

I wouldn't fret mate though, we can only hope that firstly there is definitely an intake this year and secondly that it's a big enough one. I'm just over 200 on merit list and if there is an intake of say only 220, as I saw Gigity gigity suggest in the rumour mill forum, then with 50/50 in place I don't reckon I have a chance. I would need there to be a full 110 RC's above me to stop RC's behind me being able to jump the que and putting me further down the list than where my marks have put me.

• Advertisement

Lucky23 wrote: »
    They seem to have put the starting point for vetting forms as 58 in the AC for NRC's. I looked at Beccas list before and thats the lowest mark any NRC has received vetting forms at.

I wouldn't fret mate though, we can only hope that firstly there is definitely an intake this year and secondly that it's a big enough one. I'm just over 200 on merit list and if there is an intake of say only 220, as I saw Gigity gigity suggest in the rumour mill forum, then with 50/50 in place I don't reckon I have a chance. I would need there to be a full 110 RC's above me to stop RC's behind me being able to jump the que and putting me further down the list than where my marks have put me.

It would just be nice to have vetting in progress, as it takes so long.

All we can do is sit back and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anay75

I got 58 in the AC and am between 170-190 and still haven't received vetting forms yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

anay75 wrote: »
    I got 58 in the AC and am between 170-190 and still haven't received vetting forms yet :(

I guess I was lucky then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anay75

Lucky23 wrote: »
    I guess I was lucky then

I asked about vetting when I rang for my merit score and the girl contacted vetting for me as my name had been passed to them. Apparently vetting have made a priority list and I wasn't on it so not sure what that means.... Maybe they are pushing the vetting of the top ones through for the rumoured intake before Xmas....who knows!! That is me just totally guessing!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JP84

can anyone shed any light on a question for me? (i know its prob already been answered but here goes)if i ring up for my merit placing what really does it mean? what should I be aiming for to pretty much stand a good chance of getting in for a NRC. i dont want to get my hopes up for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Have a look at this thread, it should give you some idea of a merit range for your score.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056016209&page=2

ok so got my merit position, in 120-140. for a NRC should I be optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

JP84 wrote: »
    ok so got my merit position, in 120-140. for a NRC should I be optimistic?

Yea that's really good thou as said until vetting and medical are cleared isn't much good until.

What you score in ist ?

medical already passed an the girl told me today that vetting is cleared too! honstly cant remember what I got in IST. what was it marked out of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 somehelp?

Hey jp84.. im in the same position as you, everyones telling me not to worry and its just a matter of waiting on the call! I know theyve started ringing people the last few days , the only thing is its the ones from the last campaign. Im just HOPING there isnt too many left from lastyears compaign!

• Advertisement

i read on another thread that a NRC merit list of 235 from last years campaign just got a call on tuesday and they had been waiting 18months!! dont understand why they ran another campaign if they still had people to take from last year!! how far down the list are they going to go???

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

JP84 wrote: »
    i read on another thread that a NRC merit list of 235 from last years campaign just got a call on tuesday and they had been waiting 18months!! dont understand why they ran another campaign if they still had people to take from last year!! how far down the list are they going to go???

Someone people take over year to clear vetting thou and the freeze has had a knock on effect as if I'm right c16 was first due to start in Oct .

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

somebody just got the call with a 900-1000 merit placing
    not begrudging the candidate, if it was me i wouldn't be complaining like!
    with that said, answer me this,
    "what is the point in merit placing at all?"

somebody just got the call with a 900-1000 merit placing
    not begrudging the candidate, if it was me i wouldn't be complaining like!
    with that said, answer me this,
    "what is the point in merit placing at all?"

He was a RC.

So it all depends on how many RCs were above him.

If he had been an NRC, he would have recieved a dear John letter about a year ago.

50/50 adds another dimension to the merit list.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Maybe the RC-NRC ratioo is final merit pool is something like 1:4

My merit score was crap but I hope I get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Not wanting to add to the whole 50/50 debate (something I've pretty much stayed out of while at the boards) BUT..........

The simple fact of the matter is there are far more NRC's than RC's that apply for the PSNI. That very simple fact means that there will inevitably be RC's with much lower (or higher, whatever way you want to look at it) merit scores than NRC's getting offered places.

Its a fact of life, whether you agree with it or not, and my personal opinion, being a serving member now for almost 2 years, is that no matter what your score in the IST and the Assessment centre to be given a place on that list reflects how you will perform as a police officer. Somebody right at the top of the list could be an absolute tool who just knows what the markers are looking and be a sh*t cop. Somebody, like my soon to be coleague who is in the 900 - 1000 bracket might be one of the best to come out of Garnerville.

How you perform as a train station manager or whatever in the AC doesn't set you up to do well in Garnerville. And better still, how well you perform in roleplays etc in Garnerville in no way sets you up to be a good peeler. You're training starts once you hit your station, and by that stage nobody will care one bit whether you are RC/NRC or number 1 or 1000th on the merit list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Agree with all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

ok, fully understand the boutye post, i have thought the ins and outs of what you posted a million times, but the fact is, this is a merit placing system, which means there is a bench mark process in place, on the "drumed up merit placing list on these boards" there is half a dozen rc's with a far higher score than 900, with a rough intake of 50 canditates is the suggestion from recruitment people telling us that there was only 25 suitable candidtates at this time, one of which had a merit placing in the 900's last year and 1000's this year.
    and, i'm sure there is plenty of peelers out there who did well in their role and are crap cops, i'm also sure there is plenty of people out there how should be cops and aren't, for what ever reason they've been deared john'd. read back through a load of posts from one patricular candidate, pure sense and logic all the way through, admired some of them actually, dear john this year.

50/50 is harsh, but i think deep down we all understand the bigger picture on that score.

again, no offence to the candidate, you but yourself in for this process and got where you wanted to be. good luck and be safe i to really mean that, would hate to think of somebody who maybe sat in a room with me getting injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

Having spoken to a few friends in the job, they all agree with what Boutye said. The IST and AC are taken in artificial environments and don't really reflect how suitable somebody is for the job and from past experience, the more you do it, more confident you are the next time round (although I managed to disprove this in this year's ac!). i know of only one person who got in on their first attempt. I also heard that this is one of the reasons that GV is so tough. Ultimately, the recruitment process is there to allocate places. I don't know why those RCs with higher merit scores weren't called this week, but to everyone who was phoned, congratulations!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

ok, fully understand the boutye post, i have thought the ins and outs of what you posted a million times, but the fact is, this is a merit placing system, which means there is a bench mark process in place, on the "drumed up merit placing list on these boards" there is half a dozen rc's with a far higher score than 900, with a rough intake of 50 canditates is the suggestion from recruitment people telling us that there was only 25 suitable candidtates at this time, one of which had a merit placing in the 900's last year and 1000's this year.
    and, i'm sure there is plenty of peelers out there who did well in their role and are crap cops, i'm also sure there is plenty of people out there how should be cops and aren't, for what ever reason they've been deared john'd. read back through a load of posts from one patricular candidate, pure sense and logic all the way through, admired some of them actually, dear john this year.

50/50 is harsh, but i think deep down we all understand the bigger picture on that score.

again, no offence to the candidate, you but yourself in for this process and got where you wanted to be. good luck and be safe i to really mean that, would hate to think of somebody who maybe sat in a room with me getting injured.

Forgive if I've picked you up wrong but you seem to have missed the point of my post. Its just shear bad luck for NRC's trying to get in because there are so many more of them applying. Thats why so many more of them have higher scores than RCs - its an enevitability.

Ultimately, yes your merit place makes a difference on whether you are offered a place or not, but in the same token, ultimately your Merit place doesnt make one single bit of difference on how good an officer your going to be.

Advertisement