Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merit Placing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 krisy

Hey i was just wondering who you phoned to see where your placed and how you work out your scores? Any help would be great thanks!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fingers Crossed

Having received the Dear John in the previous 2 campaigns the letter basically says something along the lines of - While you have scored high enough to make it to merit list you have not scored highly enough to be offered a place in training.

I also know someone who received a letter last year to say that they were not sure if they were going to be offered a position but they would be informed before end Sept 2010 (which I assume is when campaign 15 officially ends and 16 begins)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

What was your merit placing?

What I am wondering about is - if someone recieves a dear john, and subsequently someone who scored less is appointed due to 50/50, do they get a letter that explicitly says they were rejected because of 50/50?

merit placing 500's and late 300's in C15 and once you receive a dear john thats it you are out not to be contacted again and strange thing was received vetting forms first time and none last year!!! so work that one out.

So last year, if you were in the 300's, and 440 were apptd, you should have received a letter saying that you were not offered a place becaue of your background, no?

Also was it straight after the merit placings were given out?

What was your AC score last year?

• Advertisement

Can't remember if letter was before or after merit list but definately received it before end of Sept and no regarding 50/50 in fact received the same letter both times.
    not sure exact AC but mid 50's

That is strange. If anyone who scored less than you was appointed you should have been given a letter ref 50/50.

Also, my friend scored 54 and is NRC, he got in and just finished in GV around March 2010

Never really thought about them telling you you're being turned down on the basis of 50/50, but now that I think about it in my mind if that is the case they really should be. But then again they can't even really do that because if they are sending them out within the next couple of weeks then no calls will have been made yet, so they couldn't know if somone with a lower merit would be getting a call over you...obviously no calls will be being made for the foreseeable future with the freeze, but you get my point!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gert61

Merit placing 895 - 905, AC score 50. Well good luck to everyone up there, guess I can go back to eating junk and all again now :rolleyes:. I was in for an admin job as well and got got a Dear John today for that too, gutted. Well done those who get through, think I'll try to make friends with the pope, who said having friends in the right places don't get you anywhere? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

wanadrum wrote: »
    What was your merit placing?

What I am wondering about is - if someone recieves a dear john, and subsequently someone who scored less is appointed due to 50/50, do they get a letter that explicitly says they were rejected because of 50/50?

I have never heard of anyone getting a letter that explicitly stated they were not sucessful due to 50/50 operating.
    Has anyone ever heard of such correspondence ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

delancey42 wrote: »
    I have never heard of anyone getting a letter that explicitly stated they were not sucessful due to 50/50 operating.
    Has anyone ever heard of such correspondence ?

Don't think they would state that.

For legal reasons they would be unwise to say 'sorry your not getting the job due to your religion'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

I have never heard of anyone getting a letter like that, (but I can see why they might). It is already in the public domain the number of NRC's who are displaced each campaign due to 50:50. I do think they try to make 50:50 as transparent as possible.

But if you get a dear john stating you did not score well enough to progress, yet someone with a lower score does not get the same letter due to 50:50, than the reason being given for your application not being progressed is factually incorrect.

Surely if 50:50 was the reason, the should have to tell you, because giaing any other reason is a lie, no?

But if you get a dear john stating you did not score well enough to progress, yet someone with a lower score does not get the same letter due to 50:50, than the reason being given for your application not being progressed is factually incorrect.

Surely if 50:50 was the reason, the should have to tell you, because giaing any other reason is a lie, no?

I see where you're coming from but it is kinda 'splitting hairs' , is it not ?

Well I just think that you should be given the full reason for your application not being progressed. Would you not prefer to be given a full, open and transparent reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

wanadrum i can see your point but any job i have ever went for and gotten a dear john, it normaaly doesnt give a reason. just the old " good luck in your search for future employment".

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

Jsut spoke with a helpful lady, computers were down this morning.

I have got my merit number and it is a horrific 1100's anybody know what this would mean??

Im a RC but dont think itll make much difference!

Well your vetting is ongoing which is more than can be said for a lot of people, so I wouldn't give up hope just yet if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Well having tried about 10times to get through, I have eventually found out my merit score is in the top 80. Well chuffed with that one! Would be bouncing around right now if it was not for a certain freeze :(

Well done, that's a great placing!

I wouldn't worry too much about the freeze - i don't think it will last too long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

Well done, that's a great placing!

I wouldn't worry too much about the freeze - i don't think it will last too long.

What is your optimism based on?

Well I just think that there will be plenty of natural wastage and the current threat demands that numbers are kept up in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lauralush04

king_eric wrote: »
    Merit place between 360-380 with an AC score of 56. Don't think that will be good enough, being a non RC. Does anyone know roughly what the lowest placed non RCs have been to get a place in previous campaigns? Fingers, toes and everything else crossed.

Same here exactly same scores as you, did you receive vetting forms? i asked the lady but she said no one had requested them yet :(

not looking to hopeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ArtFlick

Does anyone know how many positions are going to be available?

And can someone please pm me the merit list hotline number, the more I read this forum the more shattered my nerves become. So I have decided that its better knowing than not.

Thanks in advance.:confused:

Previous campaigns have been for 440 places but given probable budget cuts it would be unwise to assume that is the number going this time - we'll have to wait and see....
    Will PM you the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pjd82

Can someone send me the all-important phone number please?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

pjd82 wrote: »
    Can someone send me the all-important phone number please?

Thanks in advance

done;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

Can someone advise me if the merit placing was in the 1000-1400 what doies this exactly mean? is it the amount in front of you? Am I totally cattle trucked?

sharan wrote: »
    Can someone advise me if the merit placing was in the 1000-1400 what doies this exactly mean? is it the amount in front of you? Am I totally cattle trucked?

In a nutshell, yes... Although if your RC maybe not. Take me for example, 840's, NRC, not a chance :(
    It's basically like your place in the queue based on how you scored compared to everybody else ...that's how I look at it anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

In a nutshell, yes... Although if ur RC maybe not. Take me for example, 840's, NRC, not a chance :(
    It's basically like your place in the queue based on how you scored compared to everybody else ...that's how I look at it anyways!

That's how it is....

Advertisement