Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merit Placing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I can vouch for this too. I personally know an RC who got a merit pool placing over 1000 and they got in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wanball

Hi there, Iv been a follower of this forum since the start of the campaign.

Scored 60 in the ac, have sent off my vetting forms and done my medical!

Im now anxious to know my merit placing so if anyone can send me that all important number id be very grateful!!:)

psni wrote: »
    I can vouch for this too. I personally know an RC who got a merit pool placing over 1000 and they got in.

Kind of puts the effect of 50/50 into perspective! That's a bit insane.

I wished I hadn't got my merit score now, cop programmes have been completely ruined for me...I can't watch them now because they make me sad thinking about what could have been :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Genuinely gutted for you, and for the thousands who missed out all because of their beliefs or community background. Nobody ever said the system was fair, and I'll be the first to put my hand up and say (as I've said before many times) that there are some people that got in through 50/50 who should never have got in.

psni wrote: »
    Genuinely gutted for you, and for the thousands who missed out all because of their beliefs or community background. Nobody ever said the system was fair, and I'll be the first to put my hand up and say (as I've said before many times) that there are some people that got in through 50/50 who should never have got in.

Thank you...don't get me wrong now I'm not complaining about 50/50 (been there, done that) I know in a straight competition my score would still be in no way good enough, but I honestly never fully realised the impact it has until you start comparing the respective merits that can and has got a place with it.

Surely though GV would've sorted them out in the end? Even still I suppose that's a much sought after place lost...
    You maybe can't say, but I'm going to be a chancer and ask anyway out of interest...why shouldn't they have got in in your opinion?

• Advertisement

Surely though GV would've sorted them out in the end? Even still I suppose that's a much sought after place lost...
    You said it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Hey boardies! Long time no speak! Scored 52 at AC which has placed me 730-750 on merit list. Details have not been passed on for vetting or med :( So unless 500 of you's want to pull out or fail your vetting or medicals, I'm well out of the running! Well done to those who scored well, there's quite a few on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mal85

im an r/c merit is 390-400 a/c was 56 have a got a snow balls chance?? im sorry the whole thing is alien to me, as this is my 1st ever application to the psni

thanks

Mal

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Does anyone know how people they keep in the merit pool to offer jobs too? For example, if they had a 100 jobs to offer will they keep 200 in the merit pool until they have got 100 people to pass their medicals and vetting? Hope this makes sense ha ha thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

If the PSNI don't actually like people using this board, hence like super heroes we don't publicly divulge our identity, then does it not single out the people using this board by phoning the number and giving our details over to get our merit place? I have friends who applied but have never heard of this board and had no idea you could phone to get your merit place so surely anyone who does not use this board will not phone to get their merit place as the number isn't common knowledge. Just people chatting on this know it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Lucky23 wrote: »
    If the PSNI don't actually like people using this board, hence like super heroes we don't publicly divulge our identity, then does it not single out the people using this board by phoning the number and giving our details over to get our merit place? I have friends who applied but have never heard of this board and had no idea you could phone to get your merit place so surely anyone who does not use this board will not phone to get their merit place as the number isn't common knowledge. Just people chatting on this know it

Interesting point there but a lot of people here seem to have friends/relatives in the P.S.N.I. and anyone phoning for their merit score could have got the details that way - thats just 1 example.

Lucky23 wrote: »

I've always wondered that, when you think about it it really wouldn't be too hard for them to figure out who we all are, even with us only posting the ranges of our merits... Do a wee bit of investigating and it wouldn't take long to find any other scores we've posted, couple that with our merit ranges, for those inside with access to the exact merit scores I'd say we can be identified quite easily. Though I don't see what harm that could do unless you're being naughty on here :P

I've always wondered that, when you think about it it really wouldn't be too hard for them to figure out who we all are, even with us only posting the ranges of our merits... Do a wee bit of investigating and it wouldn't take long to find any other scores we've posted, couple that with our merit ranges, for those inside with access to the exact merit scores I'd say we can be identified quite easily. Though I don't see what harm that could do unless you're being naughty on here :P

Giving your merit score range on it's own will not identify you but combine that with unnescessary details like your occupation , area you live , if your Daddy was in the R.U.C. , how many kids you have , etc and so on and so forth and you do make it possible for yourself to be identified by Deloitte/P.S.N.I.
    You are all ( as good P.S.N.I. Recruitment Forum members :rolleyes: ) no doubt aware that the Charter specifically warns against giving%2

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

delancey42 wrote: »
    Giving your merit score range on it's own will not identify you but combine that with unnescessary details like your occupation , area you live , if your Daddy was in the R.U.C. , how many kids you have , etc and so on and so forth and you do make it possible for yourself to be identified by Deloitte/P.S.N.I.
    You are all ( as good P.S.N.I. Recruitment Forum members :rolleyes: ) no doubt aware that the Charter specifically warns against giving%2

yes but when people give IST & AC Score i would guess psni can easily find out as after all thats how they rank you i know theirs an exception off people scoring same score twice but majority could be with just ist and ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

I think the PSNI have more important things to investigate than this boards.

Do they really care? as long as someone doesn't say or do something really bad, they will probably just turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 c1964

Hi Delancey42,

just wanted to congratulate you on your fantastic merit score, well done. I havn't phoned myself, I don't have the number, but I'm sure in time I'll hear from them with the bad news :D Well done to all and best wishes for future progress and appointments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anay75

zzz101z wrote: »
    Hey all, just of the phone with the lovely lady in appointments, im around the 200 mark and nrc. Got my betting forms 2 days after the ac but still no medical date. Roll on the anti-freeze to see what happens. Good luck everyone. And cheers again for the number Delancy.

Hi zzz
    Just wondering when you did your AC? My merit place was between 170-190 and I havent received mine yet. When I rang about them I was told that my details had been passed to vetting but I wasnt on the priority list. I'm not sure what that means but it is interesting to see you are around the same as me. What was your AC score? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

anay75 wrote: »
    Hi zzz
    Just wondering when you did your AC? My merit place was between 170-190 and I havent received mine yet. When I rang about them I was told that my details had been passed to vetting but I wasnt on the priority list. I'm not sure what that means but it is interesting to see you are around the same as me. What was your AC score? cheers

Chat of a priority list has depressed me slightly, i'm just over the 200 mark on the merit list and asked about medical and was told i'd been forwarded but it's a slow process so no idea of when I would specifically get requested for it. I was feeling ok that i'm still going through the process with a reasonable chance of getting in if there are a few intakes over the next few months. If they're prioritising people and i'm not one of them thats not such a great thought!

Thats a very good Merit score Lucky - irrespective of whether you are RC/non-RC , Medicals are definitely slow in coming this year I will grant you but you should hear something soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 minerdees

Merit score 70-80 NRC 62 in AC vetting forms in medical done, was told when I called appointments that letters would be sent within 10 days to clarify position re intakes. Good luck everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

minerdees wrote: »
    Merit score 70-80 NRC 62 in AC vetting forms in medical done, was told when I called appointments that letters would be sent within 10 days to clarify position re intakes. Good luck everyone

Hey congratulations on your score! I'm not that far away from you with my vetting and medical out of the way, but I'm off on hols now for 2 weeks so wont get the letter till I get back. Awww well I' m used to waiting now so a couple of extra days won't kill me.................I so want to know what it says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

minerdees wrote: »

So what do we all think this letter will say?

pma1983 wrote: »
    So what do we all think this letter will say?

I reckon it's the letter that says that either your application is progressing or it's not ( i.e. your merit score offers no realistic chance of appointment ).

It is possible though that the letter could be giving official information about the freeze....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

delancey42 wrote: »
    I reckon it's the letter that says that either your application is progressing or it's not ( i.e. your merit score offers no realistic chance of appointment ).

It is possible though that the letter could be giving official information about the freeze....

Well I got my letter today. Its a Dear John. Non RC - Low 50's. :o

Bubbles34 wrote: »
    Well I got my letter today. Its a Dear John. Non RC - Low 50's. :o

Im pressuming low 50's is your AC result and not merit? Would be one hell of a shockwave on here if someone with a merit of low 50's received a dear john!
    Well...only a matter of time then till mine arrives, I'm prepared for it though, already accepted my failure long ago :rolleyes: Although I'm going to guess as usual I'll be one of the last to receive it, I hate waiting...even when I know it's bad news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

Im pressuming low 50's is your AC result and not merit? Would be one hell of a shockwave on here if someone with a merit of low 50's received a dear john!
    Well...only a matter of time then till mine arrives, I'm prepared for it though, already accepted my failure long ago :rolleyes: Although I'm going to guess as usual I'll be one of the last to receive it, I hate waiting...even when I know it's bad news!

At least they didnt keep me hangin on :D (Yes my AC score)

Im the same as you plugin. Knew exactly what it was even before I opened the envelope. Not one bit of emotion or dissapointment as I had already accepted/came to terms with my score weeks ago, and realised that it was the end of the road in C16 for me.

Ah well, was my first attempt so if theres another campaign in the next decade or so I will/should be better prepared!

Good luck to all you guys and girls remaining, I honestly wish you all the best.

Sorry to hear your bad news Bubbles . Thanks for sharing your experience here - did the letter refer to the freeze situation at all or was it the stock '' you have not made it to the pool of qualified candidates , etc '' ?

Again - many commiserations.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Yeah mate sorry to hear that. Sure a lot of us will get the same soon! Going by the news today maybe they will have another decent size recruitment drive in the not to distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Sorry to hear that Bubbles. Had you recieved vetting and/or medical forms?

I am half expecting a similar one myself as I too had low 50's AC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Sorry to hear about anyone getting a dear John, i've been there 7 times before and i know how much it hurts. You just have to come back stronger next time.

Im not sure where i stand this time im around the 300 mark (NRC) and i have not recieved vetting/medical forms. Surely i cant get another Dear John:(

Advertisement