Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole claimants may have to work in community

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Red Alert wrote: »
    How can someone be actively seeking work (i.e. be available at short notice for interviews, put in the legwork with CVs) if they're assigned to be working already?

Because it's only for 19.5hrs a week, plenty of time to get your CV out there when you're not working.

As for the interview/short notice issue, that would be a valid excuse to not go in and on I'm sure they'd be perfectly happy to accept should you show them proof you went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Mister men wrote: »
    It's a ploy from the government to force people to emigrate. And they will in their droves.

you may well have a point here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Threads like this certainly show how many arseholes there are anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I think it's a fantastic idea. The amount of scumbags on the dole just sitting at home wasting their life away, spending it on drugs, committing crime etc.

They should be made to earn it then whatever way they choose to spend it I couldn't give a toss. But it's unreal the amount of wasters you see hanging around the dole office and you know damn well what they're most likely gonna spend it on. Anyways that's neither here nor there but a bit of community work would do them good.

Having said that, I wouldn't expect my dad/mom to clean up people's litter etc having worked their as**es off all their life. However, the scumbags and wasters should, considering it was most likely them that littered in the first place. How to define who's a scumbag and who's not a scumbag could be tricky though, I'd say we look out for adidas/puma tracksuits and take it from there.

So you think it should be based purely on social status?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Im on the dole at the moment and am doing an online degree that requires me to do at least 10 hours a week of work in my chosen area whether it be voluntary or paid. I do about 24 hours a week because the way I see it when I go for a job Ill have more experience for my CV and it shows I care about my chosen field . apart from that it also keeps me busy, stops me going mad and I enjoy it.
    Surely if you are on the dole you would like to be occupied with either a course or voluntary work just to keep your mind from going mad at home.

As regards volunteering with children or elderly you can get a course on fas for childcare practioneer or healthcare assistant first and then volunteer, you might even get a job that way.

I think if people are volunteering they should be allowed to try and volunteer in a sector or area that is to do with the type of job they want.

• Advertisement

Im on the dole at the moment and am doing an online degree that requires me to do at least 10 hours a week of work in my chosen area whether it be voluntary or paid. I do about 24 hours a week because the way I see it when I go for a job Ill have more experience for my CV and it shows I care about my chosen field . apart from that it also keeps me busy, stops me going mad and I enjoy it.
    Surely if you are on the dole you would like to be occupied with either a course or voluntary work just to keep your mind from going mad at home.

As regards volunteering with children or elderly you can get a course on fas for childcare practioneer or healthcare assistant first and then volunteer, you might even get a job that way.

I think if people are volunteering they should be allowed to try and volunteer in a sector or area that is to do with the type of job they want.

I'd imagine the "scheme" (well I hope) would be for people on the dole for several years with nothing to their name (no college, skills and so on) and refuse to improve themselves or get a job.

Of course with Ireland we;ll have the people that are just out of a job being made to "work for it"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Mister men wrote: »
    It's a ploy from the government to force people to emigrate. And they will in their droves.

A win - win.
    We get rid of the people who would rather leave the country than do a bit of useful work in exchange for their benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

dvpower wrote: »
    A win - win.
    We get rid of the people who would rather leave the country than do a bit of useful work in exchange for their benefits.
    The people with skills will emigrate. Ireland will no longer have said skills. But we'll keep the most useless of the scroungers. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The people with skills will emigrate. Ireland will no longer have said skills. But we'll keep the most useless of the scroungers. Thanks.

The useless scroungers will participate in the dole for work scheme, but the useful people with leave the country just to avoid it?
    Nice logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

zenno wrote: »
    well after reading all comments i can say that the majority of people that commented here are just uneducated children too young to even understand the question that was put to them. most if not all comments are the same and seem very childish in behaviour. typical really.

I persume your talking about the fact that you'd have to be an uneducated child to disagree with this absolutely superb scheme? sure how could anybody think it's better to have people lying in bed or watching daytime tv instead of actually giving something back to their community
    Wagon wrote: »
    Threads like this certainly show how many arseholes there are anyway.

Why would a thread about the best idea of the last 5 years makes you think this? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Greyfox wrote: »
    I persume your talking about the fact that you'd have to be an uneducated child to disagree with this absolutely superb scheme? sure how could anybody think it's better to have people lying in bed or watching daytime tv instead of actually giving something back to their community

Why would a thread about the best idea of the last 5 years makes you think this? :confused:

do you honestly think that everyone claiming the dole are lying in bed all day or sitting there watching tv all day lol comon out of that. some might be but not many you would go mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

do you honestly think that everyone claiming the dole are lying in bed all day or sitting there watching tv all day lol comon out of that. some might be but not many you would go mad.

What do the ones who haven't gone mad do, out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 guineapig1975

It's great cos it'll catch all the many many welfare cheats, plus it'll get the genuine claimants out of the house and gain them some experience and skills for future fulltime employment.

I really look forward to watching all those "genuine claimants" like teachers/Scientists/IT Consultants/Retail Managers etc etc who were encouraged (by the government) to go to college to increase their skills base, being forced into menial labour by a government that has finally lost whatever grip they once had on reality.

The notion that everyone on the dole is a useless spanner has me grinding my teeth to dust. Not everyone on the dole is depressed or unmotivated. I have an IQ of 142 and I cannot get a job for love nor money where I live (Wexford. Came here by mistake. Trying to get out.)

If you are going to endorse this crazy idea, at least think about what it means for society before you say so. Don't just blindly follow the herd. This so-called scheme has implications not just for the unemployed but also for those of you lucky enough to still have jobs in these hard economic times. At the very least, it will create a two tier employment system where employers will overlook more qualified people in favour of free "State Workers".

Think people! Use your brain! It's the only thing they can't take from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 guineapig1975

What do the ones who haven't gone mad do, out of interest?

Hi Donkey Oaty :D

My partner and I are unemployed at the mo and we keep ourselves fairly busy day to day. Here's a list of activities.

• Apply for jobs.
    • Tend vegetable garden.
    • Clean out chickens.
    • Email Eamon O'Cuiv to declare outrage at proposed work for dole scheme.
    • Exercise.
    • Go to library.
    • Read.
    • Go shopping for food.
    • Email Eamon O'Cuiv again to inform him about what a knob he is.
    • Try to sell the house so we can get out of this God-forsaken hellhole (Wexford).
    • Clean the house.
    • Visit friends.
    • Apply for more jobs.
    • Email Eamon O'Cuiv again in case he's forgotten what a knob he is.
    • Drink lots of tea.
    • Talk endlessly about what we'll do with our money if we can ever get a proper job.
    • Email Eamon O'Cuive...(you get the picture)
    See? Not depressed or crazy people. Just trying to get by as best we can until we can get the hell out of dodge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

for the idiot uneducated people that have spoken earlier on, i am ashamed to share this planet with you lot, with your obnoxious views about people claiming the dole as if everyone that is on the dole are wasters and need to be held down by their head and be used as a scrubbing brush.

people are human beings and whether they be on the dole or not they are still human beings that have bills to pay just like you and most have children to feed. so fu*ck the majority of you as you think you are better than everyone else just because you are in a job.

my word to you lot is I can't wait till you people are unemployed and cannot get work, as your attitude will change forever for you to be put in this situation. i'd definately hate to even share the bus with some of the c**ts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

Currently, if you are unemployed and claiming the dole, you cannot work for a charity. The reasoning behind it being that you can't actually look for a paying job in your time if you are doing charity work.

I don't see the difference if you are doing community work. They should clear that up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Gaudizeit wrote: »
    Currently, if you are unemployed and claiming the dole, you cannot work for a charity. The reasoning behind it being that you can't actually look for a paying job in your time if you are doing charity work.
    Good Jesus!!..That is crazy policy, stating the obvious here, (you would think) surely working for a charity can open more opportunity's for a bod work wise

ultain wrote: »
    Good Jesus!!..That is crazy policy, stating the obvious here, (you would think) surely working for a charity can open more opportunity's for a bod work wise

You need to available to take up full time work unless you have a reason. And no, "helping the poor homeless people get a home" is not a reason.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Gaudizeit wrote: »

I don't see the difference if you are doing community work. They should clear that up first.

Yes and no. You can actually get the ok to do vol work with a charity from your social welfare office to do vol work as long as you can prove it does not affect your ability to look for full time work and to take up full time work.

Having said that, I have known people who are doing vol work and it has never been checked up on. Rightly so, if they cannot track down the frauds and cheats what on earth is the point hounding the people who are trying to make something of their day and give something back to the community?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

If it's true that there are about 20,000 people who have been on the dole for 10 years or longer (heard this number quoted on the radio so I can't vouch for its accuracy) then is it reasonable to think that they might not be as enthusiastic about finding a job as many others on this thread obviously are?

As long as these very long term unemployed are well bodied, is it unreasonable to ask them to contribute something in return for their continued financial support?

• Advertisement

people are human beings and whether they be on the dole or not they are still human beings that have bills to pay just like you and most have children to feed. so fu*ck the majority of you as you think you are better than everyone else just because you are in a job.

my word to you lot is I can't wait till you people are unemployed and cannot get work, as your attitude will change forever for you to be put in this situation. i'd definately hate to even share the bus with some of the c**ts here.

So you don't like spending time with people who disagree with you, god aint your life tough. Who said they were not human beings? I could easily be on the dole in a couple of years and wouldn't have a problem with taking part in this as if someone is getting free food and shelter and has plenty of leisure time I don't see why giving up a few hours of this leisure time is such a big deal

So you don't like spending time with people who disagree with you, god aint your life tough. Who said they were not human beings? I could easily be on the dole in a couple of years and wouldn't have a problem with taking part in this as if someone is getting free food and shelter and has plenty of leisure time I don't see why giving up a few hours of this leisure time is such a big deal

It's called job hunting. Not everyone on the dole sits at home doing nothing.

Tell you what, when you get free shelter (seriously, where do you people get this from), let me know what I have to do to get it. I'd love not paying rent and I would love getting free food and have nothing but leisure time.

Can you tell me how you got this dole scheme that I can't seem to get. Oh right, you were just being hypothetical and have no idea what being on the dole is like.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Warden Norton likes this idea!

It's called job hunting. Not everyone on the dole sits at home doing nothing.

Tell you what, when you get free shelter (seriously, where do you people get this from), let me know what I have to do to get it. I'd love not paying rent and I would love getting free food and have nothing but leisure time.

Can you tell me how you got this dole scheme that I can't seem to get. Oh right, you were just being hypothetical and have no idea what being on the dole is like.

Don't be silly, you know exactly what the dole scheme is and for a minority it's a very handy number!

19.5 hours still leaves time for job hunting! What are you talking about? I'm sure you've heard of rent allowance. Sure a free €196 more then covers the cost of basic food and shelter anyway or are you forgetting that? On the dole you have a LOT more leisure time then people who are working! Our SW is too generous in this country which is why we have a minority of wasters who aren't trying hard to get off the dole, it's not a perfect way to deal with these wasters but at least something is been done.

19.5 hours of doing something productive is not much to ask, especially for those who have spent a few years getting free money for doing nothing!

Don't be silly, you know exactly what the dole scheme is and for a minority it's a very handy number!

19.5 hours still leaves time for job hunting! What are you talking about? I'm sure you've heard of rent allowance. Sure a free €196 more then covers the cost of basic food and shelter anyway or are you forgetting that? On the dole you have a LOT more leisure time then people who are working! Our SW is too generous in this country which is why we have a minority of wasters who aren't trying hard to get off the dole, it's not a perfect way to deal with these wasters but at least something is been done.

19.5 hours of doing something productive is not much to ask, especially for those who have spent a few years getting free money for doing nothing!

Sorry. I forget you get rent allowance right away, for everyone on the dole! AND it's not just an allowance anymore... it pays the entire rent for you.
    If you don't mind me asking, how do you survive when 130-150ish of that goes on rent and you don't get rent allowance?
    But it's free money... it's people like you that are making people stay on the dole, you're making it out to be this wonderful thing.
    If you're just looking for basic shelter, yup 196 is gonna do you. Get myself a cardboard box, a newspaper for a blanket and I can easily avoid paying at least 100 plus per week on rent.

You do realize that these "wasters" will more than likely just say to the local SW "ah jaysus me leg, me hip, me back, me brain stop me working like" and so on. Or more than likely they'll just act like anti-social little pric*s and get let off the work.

Productive doesn't really seem to be the idea of the scheme TBH. It's moreso about reducing the figures for unemployment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

dvpower wrote: »
    The useless scroungers will participate in the dole for work scheme, but the useful people with leave the country just to avoid it?
    Nice logic.
    No, they won't. They'll turn up to sign on, then either not do the work at all, do it badly or completely act the maggot in order to get sent home. They know the system better than you and I ever will. Then they'll be at the back of the queue for a while.

The people with skills will emigrate if possible, if they haven't already. This scheme is more about a work ethic than actual work and these people don't need any educating in that.

Can I just add that my dole money isn't free money. It's my money. I paid it and now I'm getting it back. That was the deal and I held up my end of it.

No, they won't. They'll turn up to sign on, then either not do the work at all, do it badly or completely act the maggot in order to get sent home. They know the system better than you and I ever will. Then they'll be at the back of the queue for a while.

The people with skills will emigrate if possible, if they haven't already. This scheme is more about a work ethic than actual work and these people don't need any educating in that.

Can I just add that my dole money isn't free money. It's my money. I paid it and now I'm getting it back. That was the deal and I held up my end of it.

About "your money", it's only JB, not JSA. The people complaining about the long term dole scroungers are on about JSA abusers, at least it appears that way... nobody really seems to say one or the other here :confused:

The scroungers aren't going to be put on it. Or they will for a week or two at most. They manage to get away with the stuff how the junkies do in broad daylight: make a scene. Seriously, that's one of the best ways to do things to stay on the dole. Or just say they're sick, then it's several months of back and forward. THEN after those several months are up (never heard of the dole ever following up over this) when they're asked why they haven't gotten work "sure I told youse, I'm bleedin' too sick!"
    "oh mhmm, we'll need a letter from a doctor to confirm that".

*Queue 6-12 months of being on the dole for free*

Common thing actually, since the dole never (at least from what I've seen) checks up on you for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I've been on the dole for two months now. I will be the first to volunteer in this programme(if I don't get a job beforehand), sounds like a great idea IMO. Dole can be really, really boring.

I've been on the dole for two months now. I will be the first to volunteer in this programme(if I don't get a job beforehand), sounds like a great idea IMO. Dole can be really, really boring.

Are you looking fo jobs? Going to interviews? Signing up for courses? Taking a coure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Yes to looking for jobs, no to courses. I have a tv and film degree already, this is my preferred field but I will take any job I can get as tv work is hard to get and rare. Just saying I think the scheme is a good idea and I will take part if possble, didn't need twenty questions thanks.

Advertisement