Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole claimants may have to work in community

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Good idea IMO. 19.5 hours for €210 as proposed is €10.76 an hour. A part time job with above minimum wages.

I wonder how many people will be unable to do the work because they're too "busy"

It's also a nice way to keep people occupied, they may even find a new interest (ie gardening) and may want to pursue a career in it or start a new business.

Well if they are too busy they arn't available for work and can say bye bye to welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

Personally I think its awful to target the people on welfare. They have frig all money as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

About bloody time I say!! I have been saying this for a few years now. How many hours a week do people on the dole actually spend looking for work compared to the amount of time sitting on their arse for free money!!

I dont see how anyone can compare this to slave labour? For the 19.5 hours, it works out at €10.77 per hour!!! The minimum wage is €8.65 an hour.

These people should not be complaining and at least with this scheme they are making a valuable contribution to the country and not just taking from it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If there are jobs out there to be done like town maintenance let the bloody government turn them into proper tax paying jobs with that will give unemployed people a proper living, a reason to get up in the morning and a sense of self-worth. Maybe the people who think their communities need tidying up should get up off their arses and help do it themselves.

So many of the posts in this thread talk about 'They'. Cop on, they could very easily turn into I and I wonder how keen you would be on getting out there and doing it yourselves when and if you lose your jobs.

Best post on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    I know a man who has worked for 30 years, now he is on the dole.

You little bigots would now suggest that he should be degraded to picking up litter in town centers with a high vis vest on his back.

CLOWNS, the lot of you.

PAULWATSON - I understand your point of view on this but the fact of the matter is no-one should get money for nothing, I know they have paid their PRSI x many years and this will cover them for the first year where they wont have to take part of this work-for-dole scheme.

However there are too many people working and claiming the dole and this is the only way of flushing them out. I also know for a fact that a lot of people that will be delighted to get out of the house with this scheme.

Plus this will only be 19.5 hours per week - they can then get another 19.5 per week part time which would be as good as a full time job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    sitting on their arse for free money!!

Free money?
    Why are suckers like me paying PRSI so for years and years.
    When I claim then I'm claiming from nobody, I paid into the system for years and now it's there to provide support when I need it

When my Job Seekers Benefit ends and I then go on Job Seekers Allowance I'll happily sign up to community work but not before then
    But realy, calling it free money has no place in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

About bloody time I say!! I have been saying this for a few years now. How many hours a week do people on the dole actually spend looking for work compared to the amount of time sitting on their arse for free money!!

I dont see how anyone can compare this to slave labour? For the 19.5 hours, it works out at €10.77 per hour!!! The minimum wage is €8.65 an hour.

These people should not be complaining and at least with this scheme they are making a valuable contribution to the country and not just taking from it!!

New "Best post on this thread"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Sure, lets wander past pages and pages of carefully argued and supported points and just drop a load wherever it suits us. Good thinking that man.

Free money?
    Why are suckers like me paying PRSI so for years and years.
    When I claim then I'm claiming from nobody, I paid into the system for years and now it's there to provide support when I need it

When my Job Seekers Benefit ends and I then go on Job Seekers Allowance I'll happily sign up to community work but not before then
    But realy, calling it free money has no place in this thread

Well apologies for people who have actually paid PRSI before, I was directing this more to people who have left school/college and never worked.

Obviously if you have worked before, its not free money, but more like getting your money back from the government.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Sure, lets wander past pages and pages of carefully argued and supported points and just drop a load wherever it suits us. Good thinking that man.

I'll wander where I want if thats ok with your lordship!!

And in fairness if you wanted a great debate why is this in After Hours and not in Employment or the Amhran Nua Forum?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If there are jobs out there to be done like town maintenance let the bloody government turn them into proper tax paying jobs with that will give unemployed people a proper living, a reason to get up in the morning and a sense of self-worth.
    The government, and county councils, are broke. They can't afford to create extra positions so it makes sense to look at a potential pool of labour that they already have.
    I'd have thought that getting welfare towards some sort of work would give you a sense of self worth?

It'll depend on how they target it really. I would think that, if you've been unemployed for some length of time (1yr+), that it's reasonable to be asked to participate in these schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

Disgraceful talk. People struggling to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Trekmad wrote: »
    LOL, and have mandatory weigh in on signing day? :D

:DOh, that made me guffaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 oooomy

Its elitism plain and simple. Make the 'little' people work for there rations.
    Is this the sort of society you want to live in?
    Granted it has benefits but i don't think we want to create another social class in ireland

And in fairness if you wanted a great debate why is this in After Hours and not in Employment or the Amhran Nua Forum?
    I think there is a ranting and raving forum for ranting and raving, anywhere else, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Disgraceful talk. People struggling to survive.

Because not talking about things makes everything better......

ixoy wrote: »
    The government, and county councils, are broke. They can't afford to create extra positions so it makes sense to look at a potential pool of labour that they already have.
    If the councils are broke they shouldn't be spending upwards of a third of their budget on affordable and social housing schemes at above market price from their builder buddies. Then they should look at their own substantial salaries and see where they could be trimmed.

Then they should realise that the unemployed are not a potential pool of forced labour, because we don't live in Somalia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

ixoy wrote: »
    I'd have thought that getting welfare towards some sort of work would give you a sense of self worth?

It'll depend on how they target it really. I would think that, if you've been unemployed for some length of time (1yr+), that it's reasonable to be asked to participate in these schemes.

They can afford to pay it in welfare? so why not make it a proper employment position (even if it is only part time) as opposed to this forced labour crap their currently trying to push.

The country needs jobs (in what ever form), not this kind of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I hope people working on the black market get caught.

I hope people actually looking for work are not hindered by having to work instead where they could be attending interviews.

I hope that the courts are not full of people trying to sue the welfare department for taking away their payments.

I hope that people don't all run to their doctors trying to get put on illness benefit.

I hope that the people who are happy to sit around the house now get a boot in the ass and go out and make use of themselves.

I hope it gives people an appreciation of what a good hard days work feels like.

I hope........................
    Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.
    Andy Dufresne: Forget that... there are places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside... that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours.

Red: What're you talking about?

Andy Dufresne: Hope.

Work sets you free I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    I know a man who has worked for 30 years, now he is on the dole.

You little bigots would now suggest that he should be degraded to picking up litter in town centers with a high vis vest on his back.

CLOWNS, the lot of you.

Depends, if he spent the last 30 years picking up litter then he shouldn't mind!;)

Otherwise if he thinks that such jobs is for the little people then he can just stop claiming his dole.

I'm sure they will attempt to match peoples' skills/qualifications with whatever jobs they offer..

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »
    What experience would an out of work accountant or a recently graduated law student get from sweeping streets?

Plenty, as they've probably never done it before!

Also, it's not all about cleaning streets etc...

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I have no idea how it has not been mentioned yet but here is the problem with it:

After school service, childcare, services for old people - these are jobs that should catered to by fully qualified and fully vetted personal only.

Children and old people - two of the most vulnerable groups in society.

There are probably 1000's of people who are already highly qualified in these areas unemployed who could do this work.

It's not like they'll have some unemployed Latvian truck driver minding kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Nozebleed wrote: »
    a disgraceful attempt to introduce slave labour by our government.

They would then up their dole to €210 a week, making it equal or even a few cent above National Minimum wage! Not slave labour, getting people to EARN their dole rather than sit on their arse all day! There shouldnt be a money for nothing scheme!

oooomy wrote: »
    Its elitism plain and simple. Make the 'little' people work for there rations.
    Is this the sort of society you want to live in?
    Granted it has benefits but i don't think we want to create another social class in ireland

How does it make another social class, it gets those on Social Welfare to earn money rather than recieve it for nothing!
    Also a lot of these "little people" don't know the meaning of a good honest days work!

A lot of hard working people would be glad to pay their taxes and see a cleaner community for their money!

I am in receipt of social welfare and have a small child, I would be glad to show him a work ethic!!!!! I could bring him with me while I do meals on wheels or the like!

Also I think the jobs such as childcare and looking after the elderly you will be under the supervision of qualified people and as people have said there are a few people qualified in this area who could get a long term career out of it if they are lucky!

Job Seekers Benefit was created for those SEEKING work, the clue is in the name. If you don't have work you are free to help. If you have a job interview I am sure the gov will be glad to let you go to it. <20 hours a week is nothing. Thats only 4 hours a day for 5 days.

All I want to know is can I stck any experience I get onto a CV??? Will look great in an interview when there are jobs to get, shows you are a willing and able worker!!!

wolfpawnat wrote: »

I am in receipt of social welfare and have a small child, I would be glad to show him a work ethic!!!!! I could bring him with me while I do meals on wheels or the like!

And so begins the legal minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

mikom wrote: »
    And so begins the legal minefield.
    My dad would bring us round with him when we were children, I loved helping!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    My dad would bring us round with him when we were children, I loved helping!

And in my youth I sat on top of a high loads of bales as we transported them in from the fields.
    The social welfare would not have been liable if I fell off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭i_love_toast

Nozebleed wrote: »
    point well made. I for one am not gona sweep the streets or paint the walls of some **** hole..because the government are a bunch of fools. I didn't cause this mess the country is in. Im a victim of poor leadership. tax the rich. :)

yeah thats right bite the hand that feeds you. You do know its the same government who increased your dole over the last 6 years to the massive 204e a week that it is now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

yeah thats right bite the hand that feeds you. You do know its the same government who increased your dole over the last 6 years to the massive 204e a week that it is now......

That is another thing I don't get, they increase it during the good times but when the sh!t hits the fan they can't cut it fast enough when people actually need it. So much for forward planning.

You might be gathering that I'm not the biggest fan of FF

Trekmad wrote: »
    So much for forward planning.
    The only planning they did was the kind that needed an architect. Never in the history of the Republic have so many been so badly failed by so few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement