Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great AH Census of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

sligopark wrote: »
    easily proved by the weight difference in a live body and that immediately after death unless you wish me to prove where that animation comes from - which ultimately again comes down to faith

Death is a multifaceted process that occurs over a period of time.This is why certain physical processes actually continue after we are 'pronounced' dead.

We generally define death as the point where respiration has ceased with no known way of revival.This does not mean that at the pronounced time,that consciousness has ceased.For all we know it might go on another 10 seconds or 10 hours past declaration of death.

Some drowning victims have been clinically dead only to spontaneously revive quite some time after,and exhibit full consciousness.

Who has been putting people on scales when they are at deaths door and then recording the weight loss at the accepted death point.

You're not referencing the 21grams thing are you?If so, take a jeweller's digi-scale, tare it and blow on it like you were blowing out a candle.I just registered 14.8 grams.

What type of scales do they use to measure an event like this?How many peoples death points have been weighed,by who and for what purpose.

Does the same thing happen in other creatures?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

Jev/N wrote: »
    I not very pro-religious at all, somewhere in the middle, and while I agree with the above, if religion had never been thought up, theorised or whatever, people would have found something else to fight over.

Just basic human nature IMO

i agree that we would probably search out some other thing to follow but for me there just isnt any credibility whatsoever left for religion.

i know it makes people feel safe, to believe, and to have the comfort in knowing that there is someone going to step in at the end of your life and take you to a beautiful place (if your deserving) i just think that all of the energy could be directed towards something that has actual relevance.

we dont follow the bible to the T. we cherry pick from it what suits us. so in Gods eyes are we all not sinners anyway? its a loose loose scenario in my eyes

most people know right from wrong and good from bad i dont think we need religion to tell us that. just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Thuck_Fat wrote: »
    This makes so little sense. The easiest way to disprove this idea is by pointing out the fact that energy has no weight (at least not the energy being considered here).

And by pointing out that energy has no weight yet we rely on it every day to boil water yet deny its existence in the human body - thank you

Religion is dogmatic, science is not. Religion =/= Science.

I think you mean the bases of gnostic atheism.

yep the basis of another bud off of the religion science

Terry wrote: »
    If there is a God, he's a cruel mother****er.

Many people think this rather than as an excuse for life choices

Thuck_Fat wrote: »
    Religious war is SO 16th century. It's all about oil now.

I think youm mean profit now rather than after death profit ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Yet more proof if it ever was needed of the sort of libtard marxists that post here.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yet more proof if it ever was needed of the sort of libtard marxists that post here.

liberal and marxist? Now there is an oxymoron although not so far off is todays world - green marxist yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

As of the time this reply was posted 30 fúcktards have voted in the poll attached to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

As of the time this reply was posted 30 fúcktards have voted in the poll attached to this thread.
    That comment just makes you look stupid tbh.

Why not just believe what you want to believe and not attack others beliefs?

yep the basis of another bud off of the religion science

*Facepalm*

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    That comment just makes you look stupid tbh.

Why not just believe what you want to believe and not attack others beliefs?

Because I am a militant atheist. I will not be happy until religion has been stamped out of society and people start to see the truth. Religion just turns back the clock. Denying fact is just stupidity.

• Advertisement

*Facepalm*

:D:D:D:D

obviously without knowledge of your prior post

:D:D:D:D

Because I am a militant atheist. I will not be happy until religion has been stamped out of society and people start to see the truth. Religion just turns back the clock.
    Quite ignorant to believe you have the power to change peoples opinions, almost godlike you could say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Terry wrote: »
    I'm made up of the remnants of a supernova.
    Science has proven this.

I'm made up of an incestuous relationship between some dude and a chick named Eve.
    Religion has proven this.

This one time, on O'Connell street, I got nekkid.
    Photographic evidence has proven this.

Only two of the above are true.

Will Wheaton outlived River Phoenix, and Jerry O'Connell is riding a supermodel.
    If there is a God, he's a cruel mother****er.

Yeah. And look what happened to poor Chris Chambers in the film itself.
    And he always tried to make the best peace...

Many people think this rather than as an excuse for life choices

But he is omnipotent,is he not?So he has the power to prevent innocent parties from suffering as a result of life choices, especially if those choices were not made by the sufferer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Because I am a militant atheist. I will not be happy until religion has been stamped out of society and people start to see the truth. Religion just turns back the clock. Denying fact is just stupidity.

You serious?

Quite ignorant to believe you have the power to change peoples opinions, almost godlike you could say.

I'll tell you what's ignorant;

Person 'A' shows person 'B' evidence as to why most of their beliefs are false.
    Person 'B', even though his believes have been proven false by the evidence person 'A' has provided, continues to believe with absolutely certainty. That is pure ignorance.

Knowledge has the power to change people's opinions not I alone.

Person 'B', even though his believes have been proven false by the evidence person 'A' has provided, continues to believe with absolutely certainty. That is pure ignorance.

Not really, that is Faith, what you are doing, is pure ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Tis called faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I dont believe in god but i'd like to go to heaven when i die :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

knowledge is a tool, its up to the person how they want to use it

• Advertisement

So you are likening 'almost godlike' to ignorance? Interesting.

There is nothing at all wrong in believing you have the power to change peoples opinions.Many people have done it.It is usually the precipitate of a strong logical argument.

Although with some simpletons all it takes is TV and a feeble intellect.

Not really, that is Faith, what you are doing, is pure ignorance.

OK, I think I posted a reply like this earlier;

Imagine there is a belief that there is a teapot orbiting the planet Saturn. Most people don't believe that the teapot orbits Saturn yet there are a few people who do believe in it's existence. Then a space probe is sent to Saturn to try and find out if the teapot is really there. In depth scans are performed around Saturn to try and find the teapot with no luck. Even with this evidence and the high probability that the teapot didn't exist in the first place, some people still believe that it exists. That 'faith' that the teapot exists is actually foolishness and ignorance. It's like being forced or forcing yourself to believe that 2+2=5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I am Richard Dawkins' wet dream of a man.... Pure atheist... but not as militant as some.

OK, I think I posted a reply like this earlier;

Imagine there is a belief that there is a teapot orbiting the planet Saturn. Most people don't believe that the teapot orbits Saturn yet there are a few people who do believe in it's existence. Then a space probe is sent to Saturn to try and find out if the teapot is really there. In depth scans are performed around Saturn to try and find the teapot with no luck. Even with this evidence and the high probability that the teapot didn't exist in the first place, some people still believe that it exists. That 'faith' that the teapot exists is actually foolishness and ignorance. It's like being forced or forcing yourself to believe that 2+2=5.
    Only to you, It's up to everyone to have their own beliefs, what ever makes them feel comfortable with life as they live, Myself, I don't believe in god, I don't think he exists in any way at all, but it's not up to me to go try prove people wrong, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

But you cannot deny the fact that there could be something beyond your comprehension; nor can you even prove that those who proclaim to have 'faith' are lying/deluded.
    A person of reason should be open to all possibilities; and shouldn't wish to 'stamp out' or block out any avenue of human thought.
    I'd be happy with a complete seperation of religion and state; people should be able to believe what they wish to believe, however non-sensical you believe it to be, but they should not be able to use the apparatus of the state to force their beliefs upon others.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,259 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah, but we're talking God here, not religion. You can stamp out religion all you like, but you're just getting rid of the followers. If God does exist, this would not change anything.

It also depends on what religion(s) you're trying to stamp out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Only to you, It's up to everyone to have their own beliefs, what ever makes them feel comfortable with life as they live, Myself, I don't believe in god, I don't think he exists in any way at all, but it's not up to me to go try prove people wrong, is it?

How about if their faith (which contradicts facts) starts to effect the way you live. Imagine if you were an atheist living in one of those towns in the 'Bible-belt'. Imagine if your children were being though at school that evolution is false and creationism is total fact. Would you put up with it? The fact is, most people believe what they believe today because they were thought it by their parents and/or other institutions. I would be a 'militant atheist' because I totally disagree with this indoctrination; if the people that hold these beliefs start to effect your own world there is a point where you have to put your foot down and fight back. There are many other examples of this, not just indoctrination of young children intro believing something that has no evidence.

How about if their faith (which contradicts facts) starts to effect the way you live. Imagine if you were an atheist living in one of those towns in the 'Bible-belt'. Imagine if your children were being though at school that evolution is false and creationism is total fact. Would you put up with it? The fact is, most people believe what they believe today because they were thought it by their parents and/or other institutions. I would be a 'militant atheist' because I totally disagree with this indoctrination; if the people that hold these beliefs start to effect your own world there is a point where you have to put your foot down and fight back. There are many other examples of this, not just indoctrination of young children intro believing something that has no evidence.
    I would let my child be in the class and make up his/her own mind, just because I don't believe, doesn't mean he/she wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,259 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You mean like Irish being a compulsory importand and crucial part of education:D?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I don't know how appropriate assigning probabilities to belief is, given the importance of things like 'faith' and all that for religious people.

It doesn't really make sense when applied to the term agnostic either. And not necessarily for all atheists. It's a bit silly really.

Advertisement