Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great AH Census of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

i voted no 5. im not religious at all, i dont think about God and i believe religion is the cause of most wars and problems we have today

in saying that, some small little part of me still has the fear.im not sure exactly why this is.im guessing its because of all of the teachings and fear they put on me in school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

If one can disprove an afterlife, then there is no point in debating religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

I don't believe in a god but even if there was one, what should it matter to us...we're just self-replenishing bags of chemicals on the surface of one planet in a enormous universe...just like all the other seemingly pointless genetic material propagating bundles of chemicals that lie like a chemical scum on the face of the earth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

If one can disprove an afterlife, then there is no point in debating religion.
    Can you prove one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

ascanbe wrote: »
    [/B]

Cause he's God and all those other things are not; He makes all that other stuff.
    why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

sligopark wrote: »
    There is a God whether or not you choose to believe it - simple as
    Terry wrote: »
    Prove it.

can't simply this constitutes the act of faith

the question is where did that life that infuses our bodies much like electricity infuses a light bulb come from?

Prove it.

easily proved by the weight difference in a live body and that immediately after death unless you wish me to prove where that animation comes from - which ultimately again comes down to faith

Did you ever consider that the concept of creation might actuall be a bi-product of your mind's inability to conceptualise or understand a more complex process.

ie. something exists therefore something more complex must have created it.

according to such logic you would next ask "who created god" to which the answer is "he was always just there" or some other cop out.

If he can just have "always been there" why does it require a creative process for anything else to exist?

tbh honest every day - I have had a few occasions where I have both been brought back to life and more where I regained consciousness where (as many will know) it is a matter of the like of switch off switch on with a time devoid in between

Perhaps I am God and everything stopped whilst my consciousness came to a halt

personally I doubt such ego tripping and believe there is a higher power and

In the end, to assume that some 'thing' created the universe from nothing is just as foolish as claiming the universe came from nothing by itself.

great point and the basis of the religion of science today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

why?

So we can amuse Him by engaging in arguments like this.

this quote for me summed up a lot of questions i have about god.

its David Attenborough's answer when asked by many religious people why he doesnt thank god for all of the beautiful creatures that he documents in his shows

Telling the magazine that he was asked why he did not give "credit" to God, Attenborough added: "They always mean beautiful things like hummingbirds. I always reply by saying that I think of a little child in east Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball. The worm cannot live in any other way, except by burrowing through eyeballs. I find that hard to reconcile with the notion of a divine and benevolent creator"

If god created us, did he create all the other planets??

and if so, why hasn't he put life on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,259 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    If god created us, did he create all the other planets??

and if so, why hasn't he put life on them?

How do you know he hasn't?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I remember starting threads with polls and had posters looking for this.

The OP provided lots of options and a detailed poll, very good effort

Enough with this stupid and unwritten internet rule about atari jaguar on polls.

I don't believe in Theism or Atheism... I consider the 2 to be linked to a yes / no question, I don't see the point that should be asked...

I'm not yes...

I'm not no...

I'm not undecided or in between...

Atari Jaguar is meant to cover that here...

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Can you prove one?
    To say that there is an afterlife assumes that our consciousness mind is our soul. The traditional idea of a soul is something that transcends the body after death. In fact, the consciousness and mind are actually just a very complex network of neurons in our brains. In other words, your mind is just apart of your body. This disproves the idea of a transcendent soul that keeps your consciousness continuous and intact for eternity. When you die you technically don't 'go' anywhere, you stay put. The web of neurons that mad up your consciousness and mind just brake down and rot away into the Earth and replenishes it and helps to create new life.

Because we haven't found them, and they haven't found us, Why did he leave the moon empty??

Are they all like humans? why did he make us so we could only survive in certain conditions, why would he make the world so we can't easily travel from planet to planet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Since we were made in gods likeness, we should maybe apply our accepted psychological analysis on him as a fellow sentient being.

Kinda of like the documentary "the Corporation", we could examine him through his deeds and lack thereof in certain situations.We have plenty of his words recorded in various contexts.Let's judge this guy like we are psychologists and he is just another subject,taking into consideration the fact that he is omnipotent and omniscient.

I'm not a psychologist but I'd love if one could help out here.Corporations were deemed to be sociopaths.I'd expect any result from sociopath to clinically dead.

ShadowGal wrote: »
    this quote for me summed up a lot of questions i have about god.

its David Attenborough's answer when asked by many religious people why he doesnt thank god for all of the beautiful creatures that he documents in his shows

Telling the magazine that he was asked why he did not give "credit" to God, Attenborough added: "They always mean beautiful things like hummingbirds. I always reply by saying that I think of a little child in east Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball. The worm cannot live in any other way, except by burrowing through eyeballs. I find that hard to reconcile with the notion of a divine and benevolent creator"

Perhaps he's not benevolent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

the question is where did that life that infuses our bodies much like electricity infuses a light bulb come from?
    easily proved by the weight difference in a live body and that immediately after death

This makes so little sense. The easiest way to disprove this idea is by pointing out the fact that energy has no weight (at least not the energy being considered here).

Religion is dogmatic, science is not. Religion =/= Science.

I think you mean the bases of gnostic atheism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Religion is dogmatic, science is not. Religion =/= Science.

I think you mean the bases of gnostic atheism.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm made up of the remnants of a supernova.
    Science has proven this.

I'm made up of an incestuous relationship between some dude and a chick named Eve.
    Religion has proven this.

This one time, on O'Connell street, I got nekkid.
    Photographic evidence has proven this.

Only two of the above are true.

Will Wheaton outlived River Phoenix, and Jerry O'Connell is riding a supermodel.
    If there is a God, he's a cruel mother****er.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Will Wheaton outlived River Phoenix, and Jerry O'Connell is riding a supermodel.
    If there is a God, he's a cruel mother****er.

Stand By Me rocks.

:pac:

Yes, I'll copy and paste that, I've a feeling I'll be using it more on this thread.

I'm gonna go with option 1 and 3 terry.

Quite suiting, because number 3 sounds rather ungodly :pac:

ascanbe wrote: »
    Perhaps he's not benevolent.

perhaps he's not. i hope for his own sake he doesnt exist though

hope for his own sake he doesnt exist though

unless of course that means you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

i voted no 5. im not religious at all, i dont think about God and i believe religion is the cause of most wars and problems we have today

I not very pro-religious at all, somewhere in the middle, and while I agree with the above, if religion had never been thought up, theorised or whatever, people would have found something else to fight over.

Just basic human nature IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

Jev/N wrote: »
    I not very pro-religious at all, somewhere in the middle, and while I agree with the above, if religion had never been thought up, theorised or whatever, people would have found something else to fight over.

Just basic human nature IMO

Religious war is SO 16th century. It's all about oil now.

unless of course that means you don't

im just saying that if he does, he's one ****ed up individual and would have more in common with the unbalanced individual on the planet (acting like we're pawns on a giant board game to move at will) then someone who could actually use this divine and almighty power for good

• Advertisement

perhaps he's not. i hope for his own sake he doesnt exist though

Yeah..i'm only kidding.
    Unsurprisingly, i won't be able to provide any definitive answers, here.
    I have no idea what's going on...
    I'd be of a scientific bent; what else can people do but use that which is at our disposal to try and better understand things?
    I don't have blind faith that there is a God; nor, though, would i outright dismiss the possibility that there is some kind of higher power completely beyond our comprehension.

Advertisement