Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great AH Census of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'd be about a 6. It's impossible to disprove God, so I won't say for certain it doesn't exist. However I don't believe it does exist. I'll become a 7 when somebody can show me definitively that it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

TPD wrote: »
    I'd be about a 6. It's impossible to disprove God, so I won't say for certain it doesn't exist. However I don't believe it does exist. I'll become a 7 when somebody can show me definitively that it doesn't exist.
    Best make yourself comfy sitting on 6 so then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Des Carter wrote: »
    OK you have obviously never attended/have absolutely no idea whatsoever about what religious studies consist of in modern Ireland. What you described could only be found 50-100 years ago or in a psycho american town full of born again christian freaks.

Take a look at this. It's not confined to small town America. There could be a whole generation of Americans who grow up believing evolution is wrong, and that the earth is only 10,000 years old.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article7118715.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm sorry, what?

You would let your child be in a class that teaches creation and denies evolution? Because he can make up his own mind later on? Did I read that right?

Would you also accept teaching the stork 'theory'?
    Would you also accept teaching that the earth is flat?
    Would you also accept teaching that the holocaust never happened?

Because all of these things are equivalent to teaching creationism over evolution.

What you have just said is precisely the problem that many atheists have with theists and religious apologists, total tolerance that leads to blind ignorance.

It's utterly disgusting to me that you would allow your child (hypothetical or not) to be taught these things.

ffs.. I thought this was a census. Why then are you arguing with those that don't share your views? I've never seen someone from the CSO browbeat people who fill in a census form in a way that doesn't suit them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Des Carter wrote: »
    OK you have obviously never attended/have absolutely no idea whatsoever about what religious studies consist of in modern Ireland. What you described could only be found 50-100 years ago or in a psycho american town full of born again christian freaks.

You obviously can't read, the person I quoted was specifically asked about one of the towns on the bible belt in America. I never mentioned Ireland at all.

If you think creationism was only taught 50-100 years ago then you're sadly mistaken.

• Advertisement

ffs.. I thought this was a census. Why then are you arguing with those that don't share your views? I've never seen someone from the CSO browbeat people who fill in a census form in a way that doesn't suit them
    That was the 174th post in this thread and it was my first post arguing against anyone's views. My apologies if I felt a certain level of stupidity had to be highlighted and corrected.

Terry wrote: »
    Take a look at this. It's not confined to small town America. There could be a whole generation of Americans who grow up believing evolution is wrong, and that the earth is only 10,000 years old.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article7118715.ece
    40% of Americans believe the Earth is less than 10,000 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

New atheism is a reaction to the over-extension of religious fundamentalism into their lives, creationism is a reaction to the over-extension of science into the metaphysical position of materialism. One is as bad as the other, in almost every sense. Though the nastiness of the latter is much more apparent to people in Ireland, as creationism does not really form any considerable part of religious practice these days. And I don't know if they could even be described as "nasty".

So, long story short, you're all nasty pieces of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

raah! wrote: »
    New atheism is a reaction to the over-extension of religious fundamentalism into their lives, creationism is a reaction to the over-extension of science into the metaphysical position of materialism. One is as bad as the other, in almost every sense. Though the nastiness of the latter is much more apparent to people in Ireland, as creationism does not really form any considerable part of religious practice these days. And I don't know if they could even be described as "nasty".

So, long story short, you're all nasty pieces of work.
    Many atheist apologists can be a tad unpleasant, or nasty as you say. But they don't, now or in the past, have much of a material impact on how people choose to live their lives. The same cannot always be said for the religious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I'm sorry, what?

You would let your child be in a class that teaches creation and denies evolution? Because he can make up his own mind later on? Did I read that right?

Would you also accept teaching the stork 'theory'?
    Would you also accept teaching that the holocaust never happened?

Because all of these things are equivalent to teaching creationism over evolution.

What you have just said is precisely the problem that many atheists have with theists and religious apologists, total tolerance that leads to blind ignorance.

It's utterly disgusting to me that you would allow your child (hypothetical or not) to be taught these things.
    I'm sorry, what, did I read that right?

You're saying that believing in God is the same thing as believing the Holocaust didn't happen, or the world is flat?

Ignorance and Stupidity is rife in this thread.

• Advertisement

Many atheist apologists can be a tad unpleasant, or nasty as you say. But they don't, now or in the past, have much of a material impact on how people choose to live their lives. The same cannot always be said for the religious.

I believe most of what you said there was contained in my post. Anyway, while creationists (who don't exist to the same extent in ireland, mind you) want to have science out of class rooms (and replaced by a differeny kind of thing, I don't know anything about creationism mind you, but I have heard some good arguments which show it's not as ill-conceived as one might believe), many atheists want religion out of class rooms. The only reason this hasn't been put into place is that there aren't as many, or some reason like that. It's not because they don't want to.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I'm sorry, what, did I read that right?

You're saying that believing in God is the same thing as believing the Holocaust didn't happen, or the world is flat?

Ignorance and Stupidity is rife in this thread.
    No, that's not what I said at all, my post was pretty clear in fairness.

I said that teaching creationism and denying evolution is the equivalent of teaching that the world is flat or that the holocaust didn't happen.

Or to be clearer, evolution = fact. Creationism = bollox.

No, that's not what I said at all, my post was pretty clear in fairness.

I said that teaching creationism and denying evolution is the equivalent of teaching that the world is flat or that the holocaust didn't happen.

Or to be clearer, evolution = fact. Creationism = bollox.
    That's pretty much what I said, just in a roundabout way.

Obviously I wouldn't deny evolution from him, but I wouldn't force him/her to believe what I believe just because I think its right

That's pretty much what I said, just in a roundabout way.

Obviously I wouldn't deny evolution from him, but I wouldn't force him/her to believe what I believe just because I think its right
    That's like saying ''I wouldn't force him/her to believe 2+2=4 just because I think it's right''

That's like saying ''I wouldn't force him/her to believe 2+2=4 just because I think it's right''
    Not really, that's a fact, the belief of god, is simply that, a belief, I can neither prove he exists nor prove he doesn't exist.

Oh, you have the stupidest arguments I have ever read, this is the last reply I will be giving you.

I await your funny reply, to make it seem like you "got rid of me with outstanding knowledge".

Not really, that's a fact, the belief of god, is simply that, a belief, I can neither prove he exists nor prove he doesn't exist.

Oh, you have the stupidest arguments I have ever read, this is the last reply I will be giving you.

I await your funny reply, to make it seem like you "got rid of me with outstanding knowledge".
    I'm not talking about God and whether or not he exists, I'm talking about evolution vs creationism!

Evolution is a fact.

Seriously, I don't see how much clearer I can be.

*edit* Stupidest arguments?!?! What are you talking about? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Are there any signs of the apes that are alive today, evolving ..

If so, how so?

If not, why not?

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Are there any signs of the apes that are alive today, evolving ..

If so, how so?

If not, why not?
    If that's aimed at me, I don't quite understand the question.

If that's aimed at me, I don't quite understand the question.

We have evolved from Apes (or a common ancestor), right?

So, why are there still apes, why did they not keep evolving also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

They don't need to, the Bonobos are happy enough as they are.

• Advertisement

It's a fairly straightforward question magic. Your avatar is quite insulting to christians. You obviously know nothing about science, religion or logic. If I were you I'd go back to letting other people think for you, and refrain from making antagonistic comments which you can't seem to fully regurgitate from whichever piece of airport literature you read it in. Your one liners are quite insulting to everyone, and very irritating, given the way in which you deliver them as though they are well argued.

"Too busy to think".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They are evolving still, parallel to our own evolution

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

apes are still evolving, just look at Brian Cowen :pac:

We both share a common ancestor and at some point our ancestor diverged into two distinct lineages, one being hominids, the other being present day apes.

Our ancestors weren't like apes today, although they were more ape like than human like.

It's a fairly straightforward question magic. Your avatar is quite insulting to christians. You obviously know nothing about science, religion or logic. If I were you I'd go back to letting other people think for you, and refrain from making antagonistic comments which you can't seem to fully regurgitate from whichever piece of airport literature you read it in. Your one liners are quite insulting to everyone, and very irritating, given the way in which you deliver them as though they are well argued.

"Too busy to think".
    That's a nice rant you got going on there. I'm touched.

Why thank you, it was a tad over the top though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Just to steer this vessel back on course, I think we can conclude from this poll that alot of people on boards are on a one way ticket to see Beelzebub when they clock out!

Why thank you, it was a tad over the top though.
    Yes it was, the crucifix shaped chip on your should was quite apparent.

Attack the post, not the poster. I don't claim to be an expert in science, religion or even logic, so you're more than welcome to point out anything I've said in this thread that is false.

We both share a common ancestor and at some point our ancestor diverged into two distinct lineages, one being hominids, the other being present day apes.

Yes, I aware this is view the 'scientific world' takes, which was why it formed part of my question.
    Our ancestors weren't like apes today .. although they were more ape like than human like.

We know this as 'fact', why exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Theres been nothing but trouble since we started teaching that the earth is round and that it orbits the sun.It's been a total clusterphuck.

I propose we go back to teaching that the Earth is flat.The smart ones will work out the truth for themselves and the simpler ones will buy the story and be far more manageable.

Advertisement