Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great AH Census of Religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

69 de facto atheists. :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Orizio wrote: »
    This thread says a lot about the people who post on boards ie. Imagine what the results would be if this poll was of the entire Irish people.

Statistically its probably a good reflection on Ireland as whole. Although if you where to make huge generalisation & say the age profile of those on boards leans towards people 35 & younger, then its a pretty good reflection on where irish society is heading, once the older religious generation starts to........get smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Thuck_Fat wrote: »
    We are the Universe attempting to understand itself. God is for those who have given up trying...

Prophetic. I'm impressed. I want to follow you. Can you do miracles also?

/running out of wine...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

The-Rigger wrote: »
    The options obviously exist regardless of whether you can see them or not.

Schrödinger's cat says your wrong.

And also Right. at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Schrödinger's cat says your wrong.

And also Right. at the same time.

mmmmm ..... Schrödinger's pussy. Sorry It's late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Heh, love the the 1/3 who don't really believe but don't wanna rule it out just in case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

This thread says a lot about the people who post on boards ie. Imagine what the results would be if this poll was of the entire Irish people.

What does it say about the people who post on boards???
    I'm not sure what the result would be if a similar poll was taken of the entire population; i'm guessing a higher percentage would go for the blind faith option.
    That doesn't de-legitimise this poll, though; given that it's just a poll of boards.ie users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Lukker- wrote: »
    Heh, love the the 1/3 who don't really believe but don't wanna rule it out just in case :D

I would be one of the 1/3rd. For the simple reason, that although I don't believe there is a God or higher being, it cannot be proven with 100% certaintity that there isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Statistically its probably a good reflection on Ireland as whole.

This thread's poll is...? Quite the opposite imo.
    Although if you where to make huge generalisation & say the age profile of those on boards leans towards people 35 & younger,

However, I think there is a good reason to believe the old cliche of people becoming more conservative (and possibly more religious) the older they get. I'll explain why - when people turn into parents, they repeat patterns taken from their parents and their childhood. They pay closer attention to the traditions of their parents and wish to repeat them to 'access' their happier childhood. This means baptism (important if you want your children to go to a decent school), communion (important if you want your child to 'fit in', and unavoidable anyway) and a 'religious education' that is tbf, almost completely ineffective and boring.

Lukker- wrote: »

I voted for the option least subscribed to, so far; impartial agnostic.
    From a logical standpoint, i find it hard to comprehend how anyone could go for any other option.
    But that's just my opinion..
    I don't think that way 'cause i'm 'hedging my bets'.
    I don't feel any great need to believe in a higher power but, i'd imagine, i will be happy, perhaps ecstatic, if it proves that one exists; a benevolent one.
    If it's a question of science vs blind faith, it's clear to me, that humans, where we find ourselves and what we know of ourselves, should follow the scientific route: it is the only way we can try and better understand our situation given the tools available to us.
    That doesn't mean that i rule out the possibility that there is a higher power beyond human comprehension; to do so, it seems to me, is to regard yourself as an all-knowing entity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

However, I think there is a good reason to believe the old cliche of people becoming more conservative (and possibly more religious) the older they get. I'll explain why - when people turn into parents, they repeat patterns taken from their parents and their childhood. They pay closer attention to the traditions of their parents and wish to repeat them to 'access' their happier childhood. This means baptism (important if you want your children to go to a decent school), communion (important if you want your child to 'fit in', and unavoidable anyway) and a 'religious education' that is tbf, almost completely ineffective and boring.

Ya but what i'm saying is look to see that changing drastically in the next 10 or so years. More & more people are begining to see that all of what you mentioned above is not necessary. Even just first off the idea of baptising your child to get a descent school is such a crock of f**kn bulls**t that needs to be knocked out people's minds. Are we that demented as a country that anyone from any race on the planet can come here to live & with no questions asked get into a primary school, any primary school catholic or indifferent, as long as one has some short of religion?! But if you're irish with no religion your out. It's just scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I don't know care either way, I really hate why this is some kind of debate, I mean seriously, some people believe one thing, others believe in something else, that's it, get the **** over yourself and get on with your own life, or something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

god lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't know care either way, I really hate why this is some kind of debate, I mean seriously, some people believe one thing, others believe in something else, that's it, get the **** over yourself and get on with your own life, or something.

I'd love to hear someone stand up & say that in the middle of a real life, serious debate, then walk off in a huff & slam the door.

It'd be class. :D

Yes we can!

my god lollipop, buh buh buh, buh

FYP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

:D That would be the perfect end to this thread; if there's a God...

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

ascanbe wrote: »
    :D That would be the perfect end to this thread; if there's a God...

Then I guess there aint:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Picked Very low probability. De facto atheist. I think God is very improbable.

That said, I'm a pretty benign agnostic/non-religionist: I haven't argued the toss about religion for years unless it has a harmful social application. It's something I associate with being a teenager, even if I find it perplexing.

Also have no issue with doing stuff like attending religious services I don't believe in, out of respect to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Atheism is so 20th century, anti-theism is where it's at now :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I would let my child be in the class and make up his/her own mind, just because I don't believe, doesn't mean he/she wouldn't.

I'm sorry, what?

You would let your child be in a class that teaches creation and denies evolution? Because he can make up his own mind later on? Did I read that right?

Would you also accept teaching the stork 'theory'?
    Would you also accept teaching that the earth is flat?
    Would you also accept teaching that the holocaust never happened?

Because all of these things are equivalent to teaching creationism over evolution.

What you have just said is precisely the problem that many atheists have with theists and religious apologists, total tolerance that leads to blind ignorance.

It's utterly disgusting to me that you would allow your child (hypothetical or not) to be taught these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

When it comes to the god of the bible, Im an atheist. Im as certain that the biblical god is a fairytale as I am that the sky is blue. If the turd is brown, and it stinks, then its definitely a turd! So the question for me doesnt involve religion in any way, its simply a matter of whether our universe is a fluke of nature of if there was a creating force.
    I think, in the absense of proof, its wrong to come down in either camp. So I would naturally lean towards agnostism, as no-one can categorically prove or disprove anything.

Its wrong to apply our current scientific understanding of the universe to the biggest question of all and be satisified that 21st century science can explain everything. Little understood areas like quantum physics are absolutely mind boggling and completely turn our idea of reality on its head. Science has explained alot without the need to refer to a creator, and it might make sense to assume it will continue to, always, but who is to say that in 100 years a discovery may be made which can scientifically prove that there was an instigating force in the universe.

Im heading back to my fence now.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

Why is this thread called "The Great AH Census of Religion", when it's not actually about religion?

It's not really great either.

You're reading it wrong...

It's not The Great AH Census of Religion.

It's The Great AH Census of Religion.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Picked 2, a strong probability of God's existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Jakkass wrote: »
    Picked 2, a strong probability of God's existence.
    Interesting. I have gotten the impression from your contribution to other God-related threads that you can only make sense of the world through your Christian belief. But if you concede any possibility than God may not exist does it not follow that you also entertain some alternative, though less favored view of a Godless world which also makes sense?

lugha wrote: »
    Interesting. I have gotten the impression from your contribution to other God-related threads that you can only make sense of the world through your Christian belief. But if you concede any possibility than God may not exist does it not follow that you also entertain some alternative, though less favored view of a Godless world which also makes sense?

I am 2 pretty much only because I recognise that there is no absolute proof for God's existence. I'm pretty confident otherwise, personally for me I believe I have a relationship with Him. I don't think a godless world, or universe makes sense at all. I can understand to a certain degree why people might want to reject God, but I have no interest in doing so myself.

That is unless we want to add decimal places to the numbers too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

You would let your child be in a class that teaches creation and denies evolution? Because he can make up his own mind later on? Did I read that right?

OK you have obviously never attended/have absolutely no idea whatsoever about what religious studies consist of in modern Ireland. What you described could only be found 50-100 years ago or in a psycho american town full of born again christian freaks.

• Advertisement

Why is this thread called "The Great AH Census of Religion", when it's not actually about religion?

It's not really great either.

It's about religiosity rather than religion. I.E - how devout you claim to be, rather than what religion you are. I was slightly disappointed too! :pac:

Advertisement