Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We are a Catholic country"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

Compelling argument right there. But that is pretty much the religious zealots line isn't it?

'Maybe you're wrong!!!!!!'

Grow up FFS. There's nothing there. No man behind the curtain pulling the strings. When you die it's like a switch being flipped to 'off', you're just gone. It's over.

And while others shiver at that prospect, I find it a relief.

An escape from the bigoted, sectarian, racist, tribal, ignorant world religion has created.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Compelling argument right there. But that is pretty much the religious zealots line isn't it?

'Maybe you're wrong!!!!!!'

Grow up FFS. There's nothing there. No man behind the curtain pulling the strings. When you die it's like a switch being flipped to 'off', you're just gone. It's over.

God told me you would say this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

strobe wrote: »
    What if the school while although better, thought a philosophy you distinctly disaproved of? Say a school full of the best of everything, but run by the KKK and which thought the beliefs of the KKK as an intrinsic part of it's curriculum? Would you lie to get your child into that school? That is how some people feel about the RCC and what it teaches. It's not just a simple matter of "I would do whatever necessary to get my child into the better/Catholic school".
    Well if you are not a bigger influence over your kids than a teacher.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

LOL.....and they tell us we live in a society of equality and discrimination. :rolleyes:

You have equality and discrimination there, you kinda contradicting yourself

Unless I've missed something obvious :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You've already made your mind up, and even if someday someone produces incontrovertible proof, you wouldn't believe it, and it makes no difference to me whether you or anyone else believes in God or not.

Oh the irony!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

An escape from the bigoted, sectarian, racist, tribal, ignorant world religion has created.

Religion hasn't created any of it... Religion is a product... People created it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Well if you are not a bigger influence over your kids than a teacher.....

So that is a yes then? You would lie and get you kids into the KKK school? Well that's your perogative I guess. Pretty messed up in my opinion though.

Not to promote anything but if its such a chore being here im sure you could think of a method to bring that relief sooner

You've already made your mind up, and even if someday someone produces incontrovertible proof, you wouldn't believe it, and it makes no difference to me whether you or anyone else believes in God or not.

Absolutely not.

If evidence was put forth that indeed a God did exist, then I would go to church every Sunday and marvel at his power. As of right now, it doesn't so I don't.

You see, that's the difference between you and I.

You're not prepared to accept the fact that there is no evidence, yet I am if it becomes available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

spurious wrote: »
    These religious owned schools may not be very religious day to day, but they can still sack a teacher without being challenged, under Section 37 of Irish 'equality law') for not upholding their 'ethos'.

Now, whether that means being a gayer, having sex before marriage, using contraception, who knows?

Solutions:
    1) Provide more secular schools to allow these teachers to work there.
    2) Change Section 37 to limit sacking teachers unless they speak out in the classroom against the ethos of the school.

I agree with you that its a fair complaint. They should also change rules regarding the necessity of a baptism certificate or favouring students on the basis of their religious denomination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ush1 wrote: »
    Oh the irony!:pac:

Nothing ironic about the word "if".:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

strobe wrote: »
    So that is a yes then? You would lie and get you kids into the KKK school? Well that's your perogative I guess. Pretty messed up in my opinion though.
    I went to a catholic run school. There was **** all religion. Maybe a prayer at the start of the day, was just a formality. We weren't practicing lynching protestants, or learning how to suicide bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

DB10 wrote: »
    But it is a Catholic country.

Hasmunch you obviously haven't been to mass lately, there are still big crowds despite what some would have you believe.
    God knows why...:D

If evidence was put forth that indeed a God did exist, then I would go to church every Sunday and marvel at his power. As of right now, it doesn't so I don't.

Personally, it's none of my business whether you go to church or not. Of course I think it would be good if people wished to explore the possibility of faith, but ultimately in a free society you have the liberty to decide not to go.

Jakkass wrote: »
    Personally, it's none of my business whether you go to church or not. Of course I think it would be good if people wished to explore the possibility of faith, but ultimately in a free society you have the liberty to decide not to go.

Why should I take time out of reality to learn about fiction?

I tell my nephew enough fairytales when I read him Jack And The Beanstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

Irishchick wrote: »
    Seriously come on. How can it be interfering with your life!!?

If it is doing so its only because your letting it.

Oh but it does, look to the Beatitudes, something I remember from my school years, particularly the line "the meek shall inherit the earth", they teach you that it's okay to have a really sh*tty life here on earth because you will receive your reward in the afterlife.

They almost singularly turned me against the Catholic Church (in a time before all the great scandals) because I was able to reflect on the unfairness implied and yet they are a source of comfort to many Catholics who can't seem to see the kind of slave morality they invoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Ditto. If evidence were brought forth, I'd have no problem admitting I was wrong and bowing down before an eternal creator.

However, seeing as God has never shown his presence, he is about as real as the green unicorn who lives in my head and tells me to burn people.

Absolutely not.

You see, that's the difference between you and I.

You're not prepared to accept the fact that there is no evidence, yet I am if it becomes available.

I think you must be referring to someone else's post, or seeing things that aren't there.

You should read things a bit more carefully.

seeing things that aren't there.

Ironic, seeing as this is a religious thread.

diddledum wrote: »
    Oh but it does, look to the Beatitudes, something I remember from my school years, particularly the line "the meek shall inherit the earth", they teach you that it's okay to have a really sh*tty life here on earth because you will receive your reward in the afterlife.

Meek
    1. Showing patience and humility; gentle.

to call someone meek does not have to be considered a bad thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

That's not possible in all schools. Schools in big towns - yes. Rural primary schools - no. The majority of rural schools have 2-4 classes. So in a two teacher school where confirmation preparation is going on in class, what are the 3rd, 4th and 5th class students doing? Same in the junior class where communion preparation is going on.

Ehh,rural primary schools,yes.
    The town I'm from has a population of about 3,000 and a few people in my class didn't want to do their comfirmation so they did classes with one of the substitutes/SNAs when we were preparing for ours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Jakkass wrote: »
    Of course I think it would be good if people wished to explore the possibility of faith, but ultimately in a free society you have the liberty to decide not to go.

Faith is utterly retarded. It's like sitting in your front room and convincing yourself that a 30 foot tall, solid gold, twelve bollocked supersheep is just going to appear out of thin air and bite you in half.

It's just nothing going to happen so give up. You will never see/meet/find evidence of the existance of a God so just grown up and get on with living your life before it dawns on you one day when you're 78 that you've spent a good chunk of you life sitting in buildings being told stories about your imaginary friend by a child molestor.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

mickydoomsux, I for one have had enough of your flaming.

Do not post in this thread again.

Ironic, seeing as this is a religious thread.

I was going to play with it a bit more, because It says more about you than it does about me, but I've got a low boredom threshold.:P

Why should I take time out of reality to learn about fiction?

I tell my nephew enough fairytales when I read him Jack And The Beanstalk.

Admittedly I find antitheist trolling, to be quite boring. My point was, that it is your choice to decide whether or not to go to church. I won't be begging people who clearly aren't interested to come to church when there are plenty of people already who do want to know more about the Gospel.
    It's just nothing going to happen so give up. You will never see/meet/find evidence of the existance of a God so just grown up and get on with living your life before it dawns on you one day when you're 78 that you've spent a good chunk of you life sitting in buildings being told stories about your imaginary friend by a child molestor.

Personally based on what evidence we have, I've come to believe that more likely than not the Biblical text is an accurate descriptor of reality.

I find it funny that you're claiming that my minister is a child molester when you don't even know what church I'm a member of or indeed who he is :confused:

I'm intelligent enough to be able to read and study my faith without having to trust blindly in any cleric.

Ditto. If evidence were brought forth, I'd have no problem admitting I was wrong and bowing down before an eternal creator.

However, seeing as God has never shown his presence, he is about as real as the green unicorn who lives in my head and tells me to burn people.

He sends his regards and wants to know if you've fixed your flame-thrower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

Meek
    1. Showing patience and humility; gentle.

to call someone meek does not have to be considered a bad thing

I'm sure most of us are aware of the implications of the Beatitudes and they mainly refer to the downtrodden/destitute. You can choose your own interpretation for the word meek in this instance, but the inference, no matter how you choose to spin it is that, it's really okay to be the 'little guy' as your salvation is waiting for you when you're gone from this life.

The reason I find it damaging is that it has the power to stifle the human spirit, aspirations and to some degree hold promising people back. Indeed it is seen by some as a virtue to be downtrodden and this on it's own can ultimately be your ticket to heaven.

Unlike some of the Bible and scriptures which have largely been abandoned or for whatever reason are not promoted any more, the Beatitudes are still thought in schools and preached about in Church.

I was going to play with it a bit more, because It says more about you than it does about me, but I've got a low boredom threshold.:P

Of course it says more about me than you.

I believe that every person has the right to live which is in direct opposition to what is stated in Islam. Tell the families of those who lost their lives in the WTC if justice was seen? Without religion there would be less hate, ridicule, oppression, class, poverty, racism, tribal attitudes, homophobia and ignorance.

I want a free society. Society is not free with religion.

Tell the people where they came from, that there is no heaven, that everyone is equal and has rights, that there is no hell and that those who, during history chose to benefit mankind were truly wonderful people not sent from heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

I'm disappointed that this thread has degenerated into people slagging off each other's beliefs, plenty of other threads for that, I don't know what people on all sides hope to achieve.

• Advertisement

I want a free society. Society is not free with religion.

Society isn't free without it either. People should have the free choice to decide what they are to believe.
    Tell the people where they came from, that there is no heaven, that everyone is equal and has rights, that there is no hell and that those who, during history chose to benefit mankind were truly wonderful people not sent from heaven.

Do you know where they came from?
    Do you know that there is no heaven?
    Do you know that there is no hell?

The State has no business in determining what people believe. The State is only there to facilitate the well being of individuals and society. If people sought to actually put this kind of idea into action, it would be devastating. This is why I hope to God that people with these ideas never see the doors of the Dáil.

By the by, you also mentioned that everyone is equal and has rights. I believe this, because I believe that God created them, male and female in His image.

Personally, I don't know any better rolemodel for living than Jesus, and if I seek to aspire to be more like Him, what exactly is wrong with this?

Advertisement