Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We are a Catholic country"

Options
  • 24-08-2010 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Another discussion about religion on Ray Darcy, and some fool texted in saying “We are a Catholic country”. I have heard this a lot recently and it drives me INSANE. We are not a Catholic country, we are a REPUBLIC. A country doesn’t have a religion anyway, but we are a REPUBLIC!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Serious discussion on Ray Darcy.....whatever next??? Do people have nothing to be doing with their mornings :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

BREAKING NEWS

Ray D'arcy is Annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Turn off the radio and step outside.
    Have a nice day in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its an, al la carte catholic country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

BREAKING NEWS

Ray D'arcy is Annoying.

Don't slag Ray, I just won't stand for it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

sasser wrote: »
    Another discussion about religion on Ray Darcy, and some fool texted in saying “We are a Catholic country”. I have heard this a lot recently and it drives me INSANE. We are not a Catholic country, we are a REPUBLIC. A country doesn’t have a religion anyway, but we are a REPUBLIC!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

quite right. If this was a Catholic country, all the pubs would be closed on good friday, the schools and hospitals would be run by the catholic Church and the state broadcaster would run the Angelus at 6pm every day.

Where do people get these daft ideas from?:pac:

Does Ray still drink in The Stags Head? Saw him in there a few times a couple of years ago! I don't think he should be doing serious chat on the radio, leave it to the professionals like Joe :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

What he should have texting in

The majority of people in this country record their religon as roman catholic on the census but very few ever practice or go to church apart fom weddings, funerals, communions, chrisening.....

kfallon wrote: »
    ...leave it to the professionals like Joe :eek:
    Say wha? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Its a BMD catholic country.

Births,Marriages and Deaths. There is no other reason for church here.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Say wha? :pac:

I was heavy on the sarcasm Biggy!!! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

But it is a Catholic country.

Hasmunch you obviously haven't been to mass lately, there are still big crowds despite what some would have you believe.

I was heavy on the sarcasm Biggy!!! :D
    I suspected. :D

DB10 wrote: »

Hasmunch you obviously haven't been to mass lately, there are still big crowds despite what some would have you believe.

No it's not a Catholic country, and to be honest I'm sick of it interfering with my life in this Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

In all seriousness, I think we're taking a step backwards. Not only in this country, but all over the world. It's been happening for about 10 years, as people seem to be retreating to their faiths and becoming fundemental in their beliefs. And due to the nature of all religions being 'WE'RE RIGHT, YOU'RE WRONG,' and the inability of people to co-exist despite differing beliefs, this cannot be a good thing. The very fact that governments cannot adhere to the separation between church and state creates an environment of conflict. To sum up, we're pretty fucked.

I look forward to the day where we actually act like the Republic we are. Religions beliefs in private please, not in our state schools, no angelus on the tv paid for by tax papyers!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Indeed. Organsied ignorance and stupidity are still alive and well in this country unfortunately.

Still plenty of Cat-licks around, lapsed and active. Most people still have their kids baptised, communed and confirmed just for the piss up afterward even though they themselves are apathetic about the religion. Same applies to weddings and funerals. The Church love this of course because it gives validity to their existence in a country that is finally beginning to outgrow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought it was a joint Klingon-Jedi semi-autonomous republic in the Inter-galactic Space Federation, but I could be wrong.

No it's not a Catholic country, and to be honest I'm sick of it interfering with my life in this Republic.

It is a Catholic country deal with it or leave if you're so bothered.

How does someone texting into a radio show interfere with your life?

Try and explain yourself correctly.

Hasmunch wrote: »
    What he should have texting in

The majority of people in this country record their religon as roman catholic on the census but very few ever practice or go to church apart fom weddings, funerals, communions, chrisening.....

Laziness and fear of doing something different on a lot of people's part.

• Advertisement

I look forward to the day where we actually act like the Republic we are. Religions beliefs in private please, not in our state schools, no angelus on the tv paid for by tax papyers!)

The majority are Catholics.

Why don't you watch TV3 news instead of just crying for the sake of it?

The whole country doesn't revolve around you and your "needs". Or "wants" is probably a better way of putting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Yes you be correct i haven't been to mass lately and i dont intend on going back only for a funeral/wedding/christening etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What do you mean by "in private"?

This isn't consistent with Western liberties, such as freedom of expression, and freedom of religion, both together equalling a free expression of religion. I.E - People have the right to express their faith in public or in private in Western societies. Of course, other people have the right to challenge them equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I can see the headline now...
    People who listen to Ray Darcy are morons shocka!

It is a Catholic country deal with it or leave if you're so bothered.

How does someone texting into a radio show interfere with your life?

Try and explain yourself correctly.

Are we a Republic or not? Do you know what that means? Why should I leave, I am a citizen of this Republic. I didn't say someone texting into a radio show was interfering with your life if you read back over my posts. I mean the control and input the RC church has on everyday like in Ireland.
    We are making baby steps, finally got divorce in, now civil partnership, all steps towards an actual Republic. "Republic of Ireland", the clue is in the name

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

leave it to the professionals like Joe :eek:

or 'tubbs'

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Going by Church attendance in the Irish Times, the Republic is À la carte Catholic county.

Jakkass wrote: »

This isn't consistent with Western liberties, such as freedom of expression, and freedom of religion, both together equalling a free expression of religion. I.E - People have the right to express their faith in public or in private in Western societies. Of course, other people have the right to challenge them equally.

I wrote "Religions beliefs in private please, not in our state schools, no angelus on the tv paid for by tax papyers!)" Dance on the street and proclaim your faith, go to church, do whatever floats your boat, I'm not talking about oppression of faith, so don't make my post something it's not please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What do you mean by "private"? People have the clear right to express their faith in public in any Western society, or what you are calling a "Republic".

If you only mean to take faith out of schools, and remove the Angelus, just say so.

I have to say, as a non-Catholic, I think most of the fuss surrounding Catholicism and its relation to the State, comes from ex-Catholics turned atheist / agnostic, rather than people of other faiths and beliefs in this country. Just a theory though!

• Advertisement

Jakkass wrote: »

An aside, as a matter of interest, is this in our constitution as it is in the constitution of the United States?

Advertisement