Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We are a Catholic country"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

DB10 wrote: »
    If you think Hospitals are still religous place, you really are very out of touch with how they are run these days.

As for schools it depends, there is pratically always a non Catholic school close by around the country these days so if you join one you know what your getting and it isn't that religous at all unless you want it to be.

And exams like LC Religion are based on world religions these days.

That is simply not true. There are a very small number of non-denominational schools so most parents do not have the luxury of being able to choose.

As an example, my son will be attending a non denominational school in September. He will have about an hours walk to get there by 8.30. There are two Catholic schools very close to where I live, both of which he could reach in 5-20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Are athiests just another preachy church these days or what's the story? Certainly sounds like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Sure an hours walk is nothing. Back in my day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Seriously come on. How can it be interfering with your life!!?

If it is doing so its only because your letting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Jakkass wrote: »
    Why a society of only atheists and agnostics would be a bad thing? One could merely counter that question by asking why it would be a good thing?

However, a society that doesn't see past itself, or that doesn't seek for higher / alternative ideals isn't really one that I would imagine would be a good society to live in.

It is only by living in a religiously and culturally varied society that we can look into the other and learn things that we had never known before.

That first paragraph is a completely pointless one... you made a statement and I questioned you on it, I never alluded to believing it would be a good thing.

And quite honestly, I would see an atheist society as being far more realistic, thoughtful, and honest than one which espouses beliefs that there isn't a single shred of proof for... yet which expects society to follow dreary, fun-destroying rules set out thousands of years ago.

I would prefer to live in a society that believes we (as people) are here for the length of time we are, but that it is in our best interests to enjoy our lives, while doing better for the world so those who follow us can also enjoy theirs. To live life and have fun instead of holding back to have fun in the 'next' life.

It's just my opinion, but too many people have gone to the grave forever unhappy, abused, victimised, and held down by the RCC in this country especially, but also worldwide by the various other religions. People only get one shot at life and it p1sses me off to see them hold back and not enjoy it funny so they can get a shot at Heaven, a belief that has been guaranteed to them and instilled with fear by priests/ministers/rabbis/etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you think Hospitals are still religous place, you really are very out of touch with how they are run these days.

As for schools it depends, there is pratically always a non Catholic school close by around the country these days so if you join one you know what your getting and it isn't that religous at all unless you want it to be.

And exams like LC Religion are based on world religions these days.

I explained why those were examples he provided. Stop looking to be shocked, because that wasn't his intention, nor mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There is a shortage of new priests, parishes are being combined and mass services cut.
    Retiring priests aren't always replaced.

Over the next decade or two we could well see Africans priests coming to Ireland to practice.
    Well, it'd make a change as it was the other way around before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You could also have been brainwashed by a supernatural entity into not believing in a supernatural entity.

Can you prove there is a God?

Because I can prove how a God need not have been present to oversee the society we live in today. Is God willing to see some rich, while most are poor? Is he willing to kill hundreds to save one? Must he ask us to disregard science, our intellectual integrity, our dignity and our souls to feed his ego?

I'm far too ordinary to be arrogant in the thought that a God created me.

Nature created me and I am arrogant of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

May I ask is this primary or Secondary?

Because if it is Secondary School, I think you will find alot may not be religous themselves even if it is a Catholic school.

Primary.

By no coincidence at all, the non-denominational school up the road has a very large proportion of immigrants. One neighbouring parent told me that her main reason for sending her children to a Catholic school was to avoid the immigrants.

This was not the reason I wanted to avoid the school - aside from the longer walk and future secondary school catchment issues, during the interview my son got a bit bored, climbed under the principals desk and pulled out a rat poison dispenser.

Of course, the immigrants (of which I am one) also tend to live near the estates with major social problems, for economic reasons. Therefore the non-denomionational schools serving the immigrants and the atheists and the atheist immigrants also have to deal with all that stuff too.

Meanwhile the Catholic school a little distance away gets all the nice white locals who have been around long enough to be able to afford to live in that area.

And so it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

Lumen wrote: »
    I am an atheist. I do not like choosing between lying about my (lack of) religious beliefs to get my child into the school round the corner, or sending him to a crappier school much further away.

Whilst the local Catholic school claims to be non-discriminatory, I was told that during registration that the Catholic status of my children would give them preference in the waiting list, because "they are not Muslim or something".

The Church is not clinging on to control of the schools for our benefit.

I pay taxes like everyone else. This sh1t has to stop.

Seriously, did the charmer at the school say that?! I wonder do they have a ranking system after Catholics e.g. Protestants ahead of Muslims but not ahead of atheists for example...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lyverbird1 wrote: »
    Seriously, did the charmer at the school say that?! I wonder do they have a ranking system after Catholics e.g. Protestants ahead of Muslims but not ahead of atheists for example...

Yes, those exact words: "not Muslim or something (screws up face then smiles)". I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

Yes, those exact words: "not Muslim or something (screws up face then smiles)". I kid you not.

Reminds me of the unpleasant racist lady in my local off licence - I was purchasing a bottle of Finlandia vodka and she came out with the corker 'Yeah, it's that bit stronger, that's why them foreign lads like it...' *apologises for slight deviation from topic at hand*

Primary.

By no coincidence at all, the non-denominational school up the road has a very large proportion of immigrants. One neighbouring parent told me that her main reason for sending her children to a Catholic school was to avoid the immigrants.

This was not the reason I wanted to avoid the school - aside from the longer walk and future secondary school catchment issues, during the interview my son got a bit bored, climbed under the principals desk and pulled out a rat poison dispenser.

Of course, the immigrants (of which I am one) also tend to live near the estates with major social problems, for economic reasons. Therefore the non-denomionational schools serving the immigrants and the atheists and the atheist immigrants also have to deal with all that stuff too.

Meanwhile the Catholic school a little distance away gets all the nice white locals who have been around long enough to be able to afford to live in that area.

And so it goes on.
    I would lie in order to get a son of mine into the better school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

And quite honestly, I would see an atheist society as being far more realistic, thoughtful, and honest than one which espouses beliefs that there isn't a single shred of proof for... yet which expects society to follow dreary, fun-destroying rules set out thousands of years ago.

Fair enough. Personally, I wouldn't wish to live in such a society.
    I would prefer to live in a society that believes we (as people) are here for the length of time we are, but that it is in our best interests to enjoy our lives, while doing better for the world so those who follow us can also enjoy theirs. To live life and have fun instead of holding back to have fun in the 'next' life.

I honestly can say that I don't think I am holding back by choosing to follow God in this existence.
    It's just my opinion, but too many people have gone to the grave forever unhappy, abused, victimised, and held down by the RCC in this country especially, but also worldwide by the various other religions. People only get one shot at life and it p1sses me off to see them hold back and not enjoy it funny so they can get a shot at Heaven, a belief that has been guaranteed to them and instilled with fear by priests/ministers/rabbis/etc.

I don't know why you think that just because you follow a faith that you're automatically not going to be happy. I can certifiably say, that right now, I am living a much better life as a Christian, than I would be if I didn't believe.

I am living the best life I can, and I wish to enjoy this existence. Part of my enjoyment from this existence, comes from my relationship with God.

As for fear. Why would I be afraid? Of what?

It appears that people have a lot of misconceptions!

Reminds me of the unpleasant racist lady in my local off licence - I was purchasing a bottle of Finlandia vodka and she came out with the corker 'Yeah, it's that bit stronger, that's why them foreign lads like it...' *apologises for slight deviation from topic at hand*
    TBH thats not really rascist. My polish mates love their strong vodka! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I would lie in order to get a son of mine into the better school.

You can lie but you'll be asked to produce a baptismal cert

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Because I can prove how a God need not have been present to oversee the society we live in today. Is God willing to see some rich, while most are poor? Is he willing to kill hundreds to save one? Must he ask us to disregard science, our intellectual integrity, our dignity and our souls to feed his ego?

My argument for their not being a God/Allah/Flying Spaghetti Monster is:

Seriously? No proof, after billions of years? And the story keeps getting changed when part of it is found to be untrue?

That's not faith, that's utter wanton stupidity. There is no God. Never has been, never will be. It's as fabricated as any movie you watch or any fairy story you read as a child. Christianity, Islam, Hinduism et al have as much truth in them as the story of Jack and the Beanstalk.

It pains me that people are too stupid to realise this. It's held back our civilisation as a whole for far too long.

Oh right. Well if it were me I would do whatever necessary to get my child into the beter school.

LOL.....and they tell us we live in a society of equality and discrimination. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

diddledum wrote: »
    That is simply not true. There are a very small number of non-denominational schools so most parents do not have the luxury of being able to choose.

As an example, my son will be attending a non denominational school in September. He will have about an hours walk to get there by 8.30. There are two Catholic schools very close to where I live, both of which he could reach in 5-20 minutes.

Also living in Lucan and as far as I know there are 5 Educate Together schools in the Lucan area (3 in Lucan, 2 in Adamstown). There's also a campaign for a secondary school in the works.

Personally, I wish them the best with it. Parents should have the choice to bring their children to a school free of religion.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

She's not racist.

You are just ignorant.

And a picture of him in his underpants if it's a Catholic school.

My argument for their not being a God/Allah/Flying Spaghetti Monster is:

Seriously? No proof, after billions of years? And the story keeps getting changed when part of it is found to be untrue?

That's not faith, that's utter wanton stupidity. There is no God. Never has been, never will be. It's as fabricated as any movie you watch or any fairy story you read as a child. Christianity, Islam, Hinduism et al have as much truth in them as the story of Jack and the Beanstalk.

It pains me that people are too stupid to realise this. It's held back our civilisation as a whole for far too long.
    Yawn. Maybe you are the one being stupid?

And a picture of him in his underpants if it's a Catholic school.
    Ah here **** off with that. Not all priests are paedos. Some are very nice people who do tireless work in their communities.

A person who cannot reason is a slave.

Compelling argument right there. But that is pretty much the religious zealots line isn't it?

'Maybe you're wrong!!!!!!'

Grow up FFS. There's nothing there. No man behind the curtain pulling the strings. When you die it's like a switch being flipped to 'off', you're just gone. It's over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

These religious owned schools may not be very religious day to day, but they can still sack a teacher without being challenged, under Section 37 of Irish 'equality law') for not upholding their 'ethos'.

Now, whether that means being a gayer, having sex before marriage, using contraception, who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Oh right. Well if it were me I would do whatever necessary to get my child into the beter school.

What if the school while although better, thought a philosophy you distinctly disaproved of? Say a school full of the best of everything, but run by the KKK and which thought the beliefs of the KKK as an intrinsic part of it's curriculum? Would you lie to get your child into that school? That is how some people feel about the RCC and what it teaches. It's not just a simple matter of "I would do whatever necessary to get my child into the better/Catholic school".

religious zealots

Lol, I aint one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You've already made your mind up, and even if someday someone produces incontrovertible proof, you wouldn't believe it, and it makes no difference to me whether you or anyone else believes in God or not.

Advertisement