Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Heard ten minutes this morning...his personality is creeping back in to the show...reel him in producers ......reel him in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

http://t.co/XDbfoubE

tubridy under more pressure after todays JNLR results

RTÉ RADIO 1 remains the country’s most listened-to radio station, according to the latest Joint National Listenership Research (JNLR) audience figures published this evening – though 2FM’s big names like Ryan Tubridy have continued to lose listeners.
    The station airs 18 of the 20 most popular programmes on radio, according to the figures, with Morning Ireland remaining easily the most listened-to radio programme in the country.
    Its listenership has fallen slightly, however, from 460,000 in the last quarterly update to 454,000 in today’s data.
    Liveline is the second most popular programme with an audience of 398,000 – though its audience is also down, by 2,000.
    Many of the station’s daytime shows saw their audiences fall slightly, though they remain increased on the same period from last year.
    RTÉ did not release figures for many of 2FM’s main shows, including Breakfast with Hector and Tubridy – leaving both of those shows out of its list of its list of programmes which have increased their listenership.
    Station manager John McMahon said he was confident that “ongoing work we’re doing to improve both Hector and Ryan’s shows, and indeed every show on 2fm, will pay dividends over time”, but conceded that there were “changes that have to bed down fully”.
    Its veteran Larry Gogan performed strongly, however, with his Golden Hour adding 7,000 listeners to 85,000, while the Colm Hayes Show also added listeners.
    Today FM consolidated its status as the country’s second most popular station, with Ray D’Arcy’s audience up by 16,000 listeners to 228,000 – further widening the gap between his show and Tubridy’s, though the RTÉ star’s show is an hour shorter.
    There were also modest gains for Ian Dempsey and Tony Fenton, who both gained 1,000 listeners each, though Matt Cooper saw his Last Word audience fall by the same amount.
    The station’s chief executive Willie O’Reilly said the station was “in a growth phase” and was winning listeners which had previously been held by opposing stations.
    His Newstalk counterpart Frank Cronin said he was “delighted” with Newstalk’s performance, which sees it break the cumulative barrier of 300,000 listeners per day.
    Its Breakfast show now commands an audience of 115,000, closing the gap on the station’s most popular show The Right Hook which commands an audience of 121,000

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

I tuned in on tuesday morning, just for a while. After half the country was flooded the night before he started off the show with a song and then proceeded on to tune that name it's a copyright(halloween theme) thing. He has completely lost the plot in my opinion and these figures show that many, many other people feel the same way. I don't really bother with his show now, life's too short. He was banging on about being dressed up as well. What intelligent adult would be interested in this sad excuse for a show? In fairness to Jimmynokia he was one of the first people to spot that Tubridy wouldn't work on 2fm and it looks like he was right. I think some posters on here owe him an apology.

000526c9-628.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

2FM’s big names like Ryan Tubridy have continued to lose listeners, according to the latest Joint National Listenership Research (JNLR) audience figures published this evening – with Tubridy’s listenership now at an all-time low.
    Listener numbers to Tubridy’s two-hour 9am show on 2fm now stand at 175,000 – losing a further 11,000 listeners on top of the 16,000 he had lost in the previous quarter.

His audience is now less than half of the 363,000 peak audience he had enjoyed on Radio 1 before his move to fill the slot vacated by Gerry Ryan; Ryan’s listenership stood at 303,000 in the last figures released before his death in April of last year.
    Station manager John McMahon said
    he was confident that “ongoing work we’re doing to improve both Hector [Ó hEochagáin]and Ryan’s shows, and indeed every show on 2fm, will pay dividends over time”, but conceded that there were “changes that have to bed down fully”.
    Waffle waffle waffle.

http://www.thejournal.ie/tubridy-drops-more-listeners-in-latest-jnlr-figures-265225-Oct2011/

The station did not release audience details for Ó hÉochagáin’s ‘Breakfast with Hector’ show.

Buried I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Ian Dempsey up aswell so 2FM must be bulling.

• Advertisement

and the papers now loving it

Now I recall him saying he would quit if he lost more listeners.. tubs your time is up.

http://t.co/UYLS6TCs

CONOR POPE

The biggest casualty of the latest radio listenership figures is 2FM’s Ryan Tubridy who has seen the number of people tuning in to his morning show fall from 262,000 to just 175,000 since October of last year.

The collapse in his listenership contrasts with his main rival Ray Darcy whose morning show on Today FM saw its listener figures jump by 10,000 to 228,000 over the same period.

The Joint National Radio Listenership (JNLR) figures which were published yesterday will also make for difficult reading for many of RTE’s most high profile weekend broadcasters with Marian Finucane, Miriam O’Callaghan and George Lee also recording sharp declines.

Finucane saw the number of listeners tuning in to her Saturday morning programme fall from 403,000 last year to 335,000. The same number of people tuned into her Sunday morning programme, compared with 365,000 12 months ago.

O’Callaghan’s Miriam Meets programme which is broadcast on Sunday mornings fell from 273,000 12 months ago to 255,000 this month while Lee’s The Business saw a 34,000 year-on-year decline in listeners, down from 347,000 in October 2010 to 313.000 over the 12 months to the end of September.

Sam Smyth, who was controversially axed from his Sunday morning slot on the Denis O’Brien owned Today FM, earlier this month, also recorded a sharp decline in listeners year-on-year with his figures currently standing on 92,000 compared with 106,000 last year. While the yearly fall-off in listeners to his programme is significant, the number of people tuning in between July and October was static.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Seriously what does it take for him to go? just go back through this thread a year ago, people like myself stuck it out on 2fm for a while. In honesty I think this thread followed very accurately the fall of this particular show. It's a shame and pity it has wasted a year or our time and in particular, Tubridy's time (and he is still there!).
    How long more must 2fm fight this out?

miketv wrote: »
    Seriously what does it take for him to go? just go back through this thread a year ago, people like myself stuck it out on 2fm for a while. In honesty I think this thread followed very accurately the fall of this particular show. It's a shame and pity it has wasted a year or our time and in particular, Tubridy's time (and he is still there!).
    How long more must 2fm fight this out?

Tubridy insists that his comments about walking away from the radio show if the ratings continue to dive were 'off the cuff'.
    'It was a throwaway remark. What I meant was, "Look, if there's 1,000 people left listening in the next time the figures come out, I'd have to walk away." But I'm not thinking about walking away. I'm thinking about making it better.

You might be waiting a while. If he had dropped down to 1,000 listeners on this JNLR he might have gone. Who knows what targets he will have in future? Maybe if he drops below 200 listeners he'll leave. I'm sure he will try to wriggle and worm his way out of it with his usual political way and not take any of the blame himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

ghiertal wrote: »
    Tubridy insists that his comments about walking away from the radio show if the ratings continue to dive were 'off the cuff'.

I think when he made that comment he still had his stint at the BBC pending, he had hoped he would be hailed as the next Wogan. The BBC now realise he is at best, a moderately talented mid morning DJ.

I'll tune in this morning to hear him spin this

yeah but it's only a 2 hr show....the changes we made haven't ben reflected in the ratings...blah blah..

.bye tubs

• Advertisement

Mother of Fcuk! 15 mins in and he's still talking to some bored midlands housewife about her kids.

Back to newstalk.

Poly wrote: »
    Mother of Fcuk! 15 mins in and he's still talking to some bored midlands housewife about her kids.

Back to newstalk.

Tubs just doesn't get it! That's his main problem..he's just not with it.

I gave it 15 mins to see if there was actually a reason for this interview,
    I was expecting her to reveal that she's is going to climb Everest or jump the Shannon on a jet powered motorcylce, but no, she just droned on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

he is at best, a moderately talented mid morning DJ.
    AlanMidMorning.jpg&h=206&w=305&zc=1&q=100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

That's EXACTLY where you are wrong.

That "bored midlands housewife" is the target market. Or are you completly missing that?

Who do you think listened to Mr Ryan every moring? Who cried into their coffee when the news brok the Gerry was dead?

The house wives of Ireland are the 2FM bread and butter. The Mammies that pack their little angels off to school, fire on the coffee and the radio and grab the rubber gloves. They chose to switch on to Gerry Ryan. They are not warming to Ryan, so he's trying, or at least i thought he was today (i'm not a regular listener but today i thought it coulda been the other ryan in the chair, very same chit chat). Lads i know yee hate him, but if i recall, yee hated Gerry too :D.

themadchef wrote: »
    That's EXACTLY where you are wrong.

That "bored midlands housewife" is the target market. Or are you completly missing that?

Who do you think listened to Mr Ryan every moring? Who cried into their coffee when the news brok the Gerry was dead?

The house wives of Ireland are the 2FM bread and butter. The Mammies that pack their little angels off to school, fire on the coffee and the radio and grab the rubber gloves. They chose to switch on to Gerry Ryan. They are not warming to Ryan, so he's trying, or at least i thought he was today (i'm not a regular listener but today i thought it coulda been the other ryan in the chair, very same chit chat). Lads i know yee hate him, but if i recall, yee hated Gerry too :D.
    ....eh...i think the fugures say i'm not at all wrong?? Yes he's abandoned his original "make the show my own" statagy and reverted back to gerrys tactics...but he "doesn't get" what gerry was about, he can try and imitate it as best he can, but he will fail because it's not natural for him....the best thing he's done lately is let someone else talk and just go "hmm yes....i see ....hmmm ....shocking...."

....eh...i think the fugures say i'm not at all wrong?? Yes he's abandoned his original "make the show my own" statagy and reverted back to gerrys tactics...but he "doesn't get" what gerry was about, he can try and imitate it as best he can, but he will fail because it's not natural for him....the best thing he's done lately is let someone else talk and just go "hmm yes....i see ....hmmm ....shocking...."

Yes, youre totally right, , he tried his own thing and clearly it didint fit. People need time to get used to him. He needs to grow into the role. He's not G Ryan but wait and see, the more he gets slated in the media, the more the Mammies of Ireland will feel the call to Mammy him, protect him, mind him.

I am never wrong ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Yes, youre totally right, , he tried his own thing and clearly it didint fit. People need time to get used to him. He needs to grow into the role. He's not G Ryan but wait and see, the more he gets slated in the media, the more the Mammies of Ireland will feel the call to Mammy him, protect him, mind him.

I am never wrong ;)

LOL......what a load of old rubbish.

Tubs is toast, the listeners that have left him are'nt coming back.

I give him 6 more months, tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I listen to the radio every day, but since Tubbers took over I've listened to about a combined total of 30 minutes since he took over. He's just too boring and smug. I don't even have 2FM tuned in anymore!

The only noticable change that was made was they've tried their best to cut the partridge factor to a minimum. Which in fairness make the show rather dull!!

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    LOL......what a load of old rubbish.

Tubs is toast, the listeners that have left him are'nt coming back.

I give him 6 more months, tops.

I bet there's a few out there that would bake a jumper in a cake for him :D.

OK, im stepping away from the coffee :P but if i hear "im giving him 6 more months " one more fecking time!

I bet there's a few out there that would bake a jumper in a cake for him :D.

OK, im stepping away from the coffee :P but if i hear "im giving him 6 more months " one more fecking time!
    you see in the real world you only get two chances max...in rte you get wrapped in cotton wool.

todays star

771u3b

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

jimmynokia wrote: »
    todays star

771u3b

I think Tubs could learn a lot from that headline (even if it is in a rag).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

jimmynokia wrote: »
    todays star

771u3b

Hey Jimmy, you've just given me a crick in my neck! :D

Hey Jimmy, you've just given me a crick in my neck! :D

lol dont know what happened there:D

also in the papers today

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tubridy-loses-third-of-his-2fm-listeners-in-a-year-2919675.html

By Mark Hilliard
    Friday October 28 2011
    RYAN Tubridy's has suffered a collapse in his radio ratings -- with one in three listeners deserting him over the past year.

According to the latest Joint National Listenership figures (JNLR) released yesterday, he has lost 87,000 of his audience for the 2fm show.

That represents a 33pc drop -- from 262,000 to 175,000 -- on the number of people who tune into the slot formerly occupied by the late Gerry Ryan.

It comes as Mr Tubridy faces increasing scrutiny of his stewardship of the 'Late, Late Show' amid fluctuating ratings for the RTE1 TV programme.

On the radio, his mid-morning show has gone from bad to worse, while the presenter's former home, RTE Radio One, has dominated the charts.

The 87,000 figure is skewed slightly between October last year and February 2011 because during that time listenership was based on a three-hour slot, according to the JNLR figures.

However, since last February his listenership has been measured on the two-hour duration of his programme.

What was a bad day for Mr Tubridy, however, was not a bad day for his employer. RTE Radio One dominated every spot on the top-10 list of the nation's favourite radio programmes.

'Morning Ireland', Joe Duffy's 'Liveline', 'The Mooney Show', 'Drivetime With Mary Wilson', and Pat Kenny all enjoyed an increase in audience share in the past year.

Meanwhile, in the world of private broadcasting, Today FM was celebrating its increasing dominance over rivals 2fm in terms of market share.

Ray D'Arcy had a particularly good day, with a massive increase of 10,000, swelling his audience to 228,000.

Audience

However, station favourites Ian Dempsey, Ray Foley and Matt Cooper all lost listeners. 'Sam Smyth on Sunday' also fell by 14,000 from last October.

Newstalk's programmes largely held their own. George Hook remained steady and Sean Moncrief's audience increased.

The JNLR figures have confirmed that, despite people's tendency to tune into RTE Radio One, independent stations around the country are also surging in popularity.

Two out of every three 'listening' minutes related to independent stations, capturing 2.4m weekly listeners or 69pc of the audience share.

RTE was also celebrating last night after its flagship station Radio One continued to dominate the Irish airwaves.

"While national competitors have seen mixed results year on year, Radio One has recorded year on year gains across the weekday schedule," said station head Jim Jennings.

At 2fm it wasn't all doom and gloom, with 'Rick In The Afternoon' and 'More Music Drive' with Will Leahy managing to stabilise recent declines.

Station head John McMahon said: "There are ups and downs. There are some changes that have yet to bed down fully.

"I'm confident that the ongoing work we're doing to improve both Hector's and Ryan's shows -- indeed every show on 2fm -- will pay dividends over time."

- Mark Hilliard

Irish Independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Tubridy vows to fight back from ratings disaster

RYAN Tubridy has finally admitted that he may have to consider giving up his 2fm slot.
    RTE's golden boy says he has been 'humbled' by the massive fall in his radio listenership -- but will 'fight' one last time to win them back.
    "It's proving to be a different fit in trying to attune to the sensibilities of that audience. Although one can't keep trying forever," he said.
    The latest JNLR figures show that Tubridy's audience has collapsed by 87,000 from 262,000 to 175,000. The fall comes as his radio rival Ray D'Arcy gained 16,000 new listeners on Today FM.
    "It's not a good result for us. I'm not going to pretend anything else. But I know things can be transformed and redirected and there will be brighter days," Ryan said.
    He went on to say the listener results were "humbling and educational". Speaking to the Herald today, the under-pressure broadcaster said it was "quite heavy going" presenting the Late Late Show on television and doing a daily radio show.
    CHALLENGING
    He said being moved out of his hugely successful morning slot on Radio One to fill the late Gerry Ryan's 2fm show was very challenging.
    He said that listener figures may have been influenced by the changing of the format from a three-hour to a two-hour show and he wondered if a three-hour show would be better for morning radio.
    "It's like a shop closing up an hour before the other shops on the street. Customers are not necessarily going to stay loyal," he said.
    But he admitted to having reservations about being physically and mentally capable of meeting even heavier demands of presenting a longer radio show. He said: "It's quite heavy going doing the Late Late Show and the radio show. It takes enormous energy. Another hour on the radio show could be quite daunting on health levels. It would be a huge strain."
    He was heartened, however, by the huge success of his appearance during the summer on BBC Radio 2 when he filled in for Graham Norton.
    Norton's popular show got its second-highest ever listenership of 3.27 million when it was presented by Tubridy.
    "It's swings and roundabouts, I suppose," he said. The broadcaster said his 2fm radio team was 'an excellent team and extremely supportive'.
    "And we have a very loyal management who are standing by their man. We realise things have to change.
    "But we're fighting back and changes are already being made. We are becoming more listener focused and increasing their level of participation. I'm very happy facing into 2012," he added.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/tubridy-vows-to-fight-back-from-ratings-disaster-2919855.html

The 87,000 figure is just for the last year, but when he took over from G. Ryan the show had 303,000 listeners. So he has lost 128,000 listeners, or over 42% of his audience. Is there any other radio station -anywhere, be it commercial or state broadcaster, where a presenter would still be in place having lost 42% of his listeners?

Colm Hayes has been flying under the radar to a large extent, but he has lost even more. Three major decisions have been made since John McMahon took over 2fm - Hector, Tubridy and Hayes. All of which have failed fairly spectacularly, but they are just going to keep compounding these failures because they are not able to admit they have in fact failed.

he said that before its time up for him now

• Advertisement

Rubik. wrote: »
    He said that listener figures may have been influenced by the changing of the format from a three-hour to a two-hour show and he wondered if a three-hour show would be better for morning radio.
    "It's like a shop closing up an hour before the other shops on the street. Customers are not necessarily going to stay loyal," he said.
    But he admitted to having reservations about being physically and mentally capable of meeting even heavier demands of presenting a longer radio show. He said: "It's quite heavy going doing the Late Late Show and the radio show. It takes enormous energy. Another hour on the radio show could be quite daunting on health levels. It would be a huge strain."

If it is so demanding to do an extra hour how the hell does he justify going off to the BBC in the summer and now again at christmas. Tubridy is always bleating about being a workaholic yet he is unwilling to commit to a 3 hour show. He can find the time to write a book and he is due to write a second one. He can find the time to fly off to the US twice in the last year to make a documentary about his book and do a promo for the Late Late.

He is now saying that it could be a disadvantage to have an extra hour when on the release of a previous set of JNLRs he stated that his figures couldn't be compared to Gerry's because Gerry had a 3 hour show and had that inherent advantage. Tubridy you cannot have it both ways. Either do the extra hour or else shut up about it. I think these "health levels" are in the same arena as his "legal reasons" for not accepting a pay-cut. The truth of the matter is that he knows that he will get very little extra pay for that extra five hours a week on the radio.

Advertisement