Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

easychair wrote: »
    I doubt it, although it might be very frustrating for those who appear obsessed with Tubridy, telling us here how dreadful he is and appaling and piss poor and all, but who still apparently read and listen and watch his every word.

You are one of the worst offenders yourself.

99% if not all of your posts on this thread relate to your issues with other posters - totally off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm afraid you are mistaken, and I've never said anyone here is mentally imbalanced. Or even mentally unbalanced.

You may well have decided to be "stuck" with Tubridy, but others of us choose not to listen or watch him. That you have decided to be compelled to be stuck watching and/or listening to him is your choice, and its open to you to decide not to watch or listen to him also, and be freed from being "stuck" with him.
    Easychair....just to confirm: We post here becuase we love our country. Nothing to do with taking down tubridy in a ritual for a successful harvest next year, we just love Ireland, and I personally feel let down that our national broadcaster crowned him "King of Irish Entertainment" without our consent.... Just look at the puzzled look on foreign visitors to the late late show!
    He's a 700k alan partridge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Easychair....just to confirm: We post here becuase we love our country. Nothing to do with taking down tubridy in a ritual for a successful harvest next year, we just love Ireland, and I personally feel let down that our national broadcaster crowned him "King of Irish Entertainment" without our consent.... Just look at the puzzled look on foreign visitors to the late late show!
    He's a 700k alan partridge...

Who is the "we" of which you speak? i speak for myself and not on behalf of others, and I am curious to know who you speak on behalf of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Who is the "we" of which you speak? i speak for myself and not on behalf of others, and I am curious to know who you speak on behalf of?

The "we" refers to the Licence payers I presume.

How many times have you said that Easychair? Seriously, this is a forum not a dan brown novel. I speak on behalf of the badgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

so he has another week of i see,maybe its his last.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

No offence, but has anyone got anything to say about the radio programme. I have given up listening so would be interested to know how it's going. Reading petty internecine bickering is not illuminating, i don't know many of these posts are permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

I'll have a go (at the topic that is). 2FM and the morning show seems to be dying a slow death. 8% of the Dublin audience for the National flagship 'popular' radio station. Not great is it. Since G Ryan died no one seems to know what to do anymore. I try to listen but there is nothing to hang on to and usually better things to listen to at that time.

My humble opinion is that Ryan's lack of creative insight is starting to show. He's very quick with the off the cuff one liners (or he was) but as far as a planned campaign to win audience goes, he is just floundering.

I would love to know how it came about that Nob Nation was killed off and how Operation Transformation was taken over on the John Murray show.

How many times have you said that Easychair? Seriously, this is a forum not a dan brown novel. I speak on behalf of the badgers.

I haven't counted, but when you say "we" that suggests that you think you are speaking on behalf of a group, and I wondered if you speak for a group, or for yourself. As I've never had a sensible answer, I'll keep wondering every time you say something on behalf of "we".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The real problem is 2fm has no sense of direction. It's not Ryan Tubridy's fault the station is dwindling. It sounds stale. It's got no appeal to Joe soap during the week. So until someone really high up the ladder gives someone the task of overhauling a national treasure to make it sound like a fun place to work and appeal to the listners who have switched off, this debate will continue for a while yet..
    BBC R1 overhaul in the late 90s comes to mind.
    BTW do you think someone has the balls to get rid of the man who's families blood sweat and tears helped build RTE from the ground up? And he is entitled to a day off here and there.

• Advertisement

bbability wrote: »
    The real problem is 2fm has no sense of direction. It's not Ryan Tubridy's fault the station is dwindling. It sounds stale. It's got no appeal to Joe soap during the week. So until someone really high up the ladder gives someone the task of overhauling a national treasure to make it sound like a fun place to work and appeal to the listners who have switched off, this debate will continue for a while yet..
    BBC R1 overhaul in the late 90s comes to mind.
    BTW do you think someone has the balls to get rid of the man who's families blood sweat and tears helped build RTE from the ground up? And he is entitled to a day off here and there.

2fm was started off to be the Irish equivalent of BBC Radio 1, and was intended t be a station for a younger demographic compared to RTE Radio 1.

When one now looks at BBC Radio 1, it is young, dynamic, focused and it knows what it is about, it seems to be constantly reinventing itself and the producers, presenters and content all reflect what its listeners want to hear.

Unfortunately, the dead hand of RTE has ensured that the station has ended up with no identity, unsure who it is for, and unsure what it is supposed to be doing, and even unsure about who it is supposed to be employing.

All of this it does in the certain knowledge that none of it matters much to RTE as every year they get a massive injection of cash from the licence fee payers, no matter what the content of 2FM.

It is getting close to the time that RTE should be freed from the shackles of the licence fee, and allowed to compete properly with other broadcasters as it seems incapable of doing so now, seeming more like a branch of the civil service than a good broadcaster.

2fm was started off to be the Irish equivalent of BBC Radio 1, and was intended t be a station for a younger demographic compared to RTE Radio 1.

When one now looks at BBC Radio 1, it is young, dynamic, focused and it knows what it is about, it seems to be constantly reinventing itself and the producers, presenters and content all reflect what its listeners want to hear.

Unfortunately, the dead hand of RTE has ensured that the station has ended up with no identity, unsure who it is for, and unsure what it is supposed to be doing, and even unsure about who it is supposed to be employing.

All of this it does in the certain knowledge that none of it matters much to RTE as every year they get a massive injection of cash from the licence fee payers, no matter what the content of 2FM.

It is getting close to the time that RTE should be freed from the shackles of the licence fee, and allowed to compete properly with other broadcasters as it seems incapable of doing so now, seeming more like a branch of the civil service than a good broadcaster.
    I agree with this, I'm not a fan of the privatisation of RTE, but 2fm could easily be cut loose and allowed compete on it's own.

ghiertal wrote: »
    No offence, but has anyone got anything to say about the radio programme. I have given up listening so would be interested to know how it's going. Reading petty internecine bickering is not illuminating, i don't know many of these posts are permitted.
    I know some of us enjoyed the unintentional comedy, but it does seem that many people have stopped listening. The new changes have eliminated the partridge moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

ghiertal wrote: »

Agreed. Please stay on topic folks, and keep the bickering and personal comments about Tubridy to yourselves.

I thought this might add to the discussion. The red graph is 2FM's national reach (in 1000's) with G Ryan on from 0900 to 1200. The Blue graph is with Tubbs in the seat, 0900 to 1100.
    7acc93d837b718fd12059316b94a75b2249d14865e92f912f97bfad86bf7bb2a6g.jpg

What we can say is that about 40,000 of us still tune to Tubbs at 0900. Mr G Ryan managed to attract 90,000. It looks like G Ryan really is a hard act to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

mbur wrote: »
    I thought this might add to the discussion. The red graph is 2FM's national reach (in 1000's) with G Ryan on from 0900 to 1200. The Blue graph is with Tubbs in the seat, 0900 to 1100.

What we can say is that about 40,000 of us still tune to Tubbs at 0900. Mr G Ryan managed to attract 90,000. It looks like G Ryan really is a hard act to follow.

Is it still heretical to ask if the late Mr Ryan's programme was wholesome, elevating, ennobling broadcasting?

In my, admittedly rather limited, experience of Mr Tubridy's broadcasting, the tone seems somewhat more cultivated, the content somewhat more substantial.

Are we to be led to accept that popularity is a good in itself? If Mr Tubridy has succeeded in purging a programme of an aura of unappealing tawdriness, should we not welcome the fact that RTE is no longer the provisioner of those with objectively base tastes?

I can remember overhearing stretches of the late Mr Ryan's programme that caused blushes to arise on the faces of hardened men, particularly if ladies were in the company. Nobody should have to endure such embarrassment from a pop radio station in daylight hours, where children, women and persons of a delicate disposition might come within earshot. With Mr Tubridy, no affront to taste is committed, and for that the TV taxpayer is truly thankful.

We have with him broadcasting imbued with higher ideals, broadcasting calculated to inform, educate and entertain the listener, but not to cause shame, or degradation. Nowhere is it stated that 2FM must be the lowest common denominator, that it must chase the largest audience without concern for decorum. It is our national broadcaster, not the Folie Bergeres and not a pier-end peep-show on the radio.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

We have with him broadcasting imbued with higher ideals, broadcasting calculated to inform, educate and entertain the listener, but not to cause shame, or degradation.

"Inform, educate and entertain the listener".......... nope, not with this listener.

"Cause shame, or degradation"....... Cause shame, yep.
    With Mr Tubridy, no affront to taste is committed, and for that the TV taxpayer is truly thankful

The aural equivalent of eating cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

I used to be able to stomach G Ryan's show for maybe 30 mins in the morning. I tried listening to Tubridy when he first started and never got past the 5 min mark. I would try to stay with it but it was too much. Be done with him and all he represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

mbur wrote: »

Well that certainly illustrates Gerry Ryan's importance to 2FM in stark terms when he had the show.

Walk into the contract renewal negotiations with a graph like that and he could basically name his price - and who could blame him in retrospect when you look at the blue line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Those graphs are from Q3 - 2010 AND Q3 -2011 when Tubbs was at the helm on both occassions.

It would be more instructive and much greater detail parsed from Q3-2009 AND Q3 - 2011 if possible.

If anyone could get their hand on graphs for Newstalk, and Today FM for the same periods, a thesis could be written on "the Tubbs factor-how to kill a radio station."

• Advertisement

noworries wrote: »
    Those graphs are from Q3 - 2010 AND Q3 -2011 when Tubbs was at the helm on both occassions.
    Whups. Sorry for the misinformation.
    It would be more instructive and much greater detail parsed from Q3-2009 AND Q3 - 2011 if possible.
    Quite right there. Q3 2009 would do. Any takers?
    If anyone could get their hand on graphs for Newstalk, and Today FM for the same periods, a thesis could be written on "the Tubbs factor-how to kill a radio station."
    And make it look easy..:)

63a2612bf90a3e67909005fc1abd44788bd6be31233e24dad53cde8cbb8473ed6g.jpg
    G Ryan was certainly in the chair for the green line here. It looks like his popularity had some inertia. Enjoyed by Colm and Lucy(?) and destroyed by Tubbs.

Thanks mbur, the graphs tell no lies.

- For me the stands outs are the fact that Tubbs has driven away half of the traditional bump in listeners who tuned in to GRyan and recent figures show that they ain't coming back.

- the slump in 2fm's listers because of the lack of a credible draw in the morning affects the station for the rest of the day to the benifit of other stations (I presume)

- it makes f*** all difference who is on the morning show - no surprise really.

- it looks like it is time to pull the plug on the Tubbs program and send him back to Radio 1 where his talents will be appreciated by a more 'elderly' listnership.

As for 2fm, the simpsons had an episode once that displayed the DJ 2000, automated banalities and pre-programmed playlists. Cheaper and probably a little better in the long run.

(Disclaimer 4 the haters, gotta hate - I have listened to 2fm since it started really so it does not give me any pleasure to berate the station I grew up with. Dave Fanning followed by GRyan at night game me my first love of music)

Thanks mbur, the graphs tell no lies.

- For me the stands outs are the fact that Tubbs has driven away half of the traditional bump in listeners who tuned in to GRyan and recent figures show that they ain't coming back.

- the slump in 2fm's listers because of the lack of a credible draw in the morning affects the station for the rest of the day to the benifit of other stations (I presume)

- it makes f*** all difference who is on the morning show - no surprise really.

- it looks like it is time to pull the plug on the Tubbs program and send him back to Radio 1 where his talents will be appreciated by a more 'elderly' listnership.

As for 2fm, the simpsons had an episode once that displayed the DJ 2000, automated banalities and pre-programmed playlists. Cheaper and probably a little better in the long run.

(Disclaimer 4 the haters, gotta hate - I have listened to 2fm since it started really so it does not give me any pleasure to berate the station I grew up with. Dave Fanning followed by GRyan at night game me my first love of music)

A more elderly audience listening the senior service? I'm not too sure. I would have thought that anyone who knew 2FM from the egg could be no spring chicken themselves! I know that adolescence goes on these days until the age of 32, but still ...
    :)

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

seems a lot of people here are just anti Tubridy whithout any insight into radio listnership or style of presenting.

Gerry Ryan was a gigantic radio presenter. He had no equal and was brilliant. Personally I hated his style of radio. I couldn't listen to him for a minute. But it never stopped me getting adverts placed in his programme or sponsoring one of the prizes.

Unfortunately Gerry is gone to the radio in the sky now and someone has had to take over his show - no matter who you put in there, no-one would have matched the listnership of Gerry Ryan. He left a big void in Irish Radio that simply cannot be filled.

I like Tubridy, but I'm not a 2fm listner. (almost 50) I rarely hit the 2fm button and my radio is more likely on Radio 1 or Newstalk or Today fm. And if what I have on is interesting enough, I forget to switch to 2fm, whereas when tubs was on Radio1, he was automatically on the radio when I turned it on.

So he loses some of his radio 1 listeners and loses some of the G ryan listners, but at 200k + listeners ona 2 hour show - from an advertisers point of view, he has done very very well.

Hoiw about Brendan O'Connor as the mid morning host? - I think he could be controversial enough to do it.

maxer68 wrote: »
    seems a lot of people here are just anti Tubridy whithout any insight into radio listnership or style of presenting.

Gerry Ryan was a gigantic radio presenter. He had no equal and was brilliant. Personally I hated his style of radio. I couldn't listen to him for a minute. But it never stopped me getting adverts placed in his programme or sponsoring one of the prizes.

Unfortunately Gerry is gone to the radio in the sky now and someone has had to take over his show - no matter who you put in there, no-one would have matched the listnership of Gerry Ryan. He left a big void in Irish Radio that simply cannot be filled.

I like Tubridy, but I'm not a 2fm listner. (almost 50) I rarely hit the 2fm button and my radio is more likely on Radio 1 or Newstalk or Today fm. And if what I have on is interesting enough, I forget to switch to 2fm, whereas when tubs was on Radio1, he was automatically on the radio when I turned it on.

So he loses some of his radio 1 listeners and loses some of the G ryan listners, but at 200k + listeners ona 2 hour show - from an advertisers point of view, he has done very very well.

Hoiw about Brendan O'Connor as the mid morning host? - I think he could be controversial enough to do it.

We are, on this thread, therefore thinking of radio only as a means of delivering citizens into the hands of advertisers rather than thinking of radio as an art form, serving the needs of those citizens. If state radio is to be nothing more than a way of capturing people in order to rifle their pockets by encouraging them to purchase unwanted tat, we clearly need a period of serious reflection on whether or not we need such a radio service.

If by failing to pander to the baser tastes of people - baser tastes that have been inculcated in them by the media, I would suggest, rather arising endogenously - Ryan Tubridy may be undertaking a redemption of public taste. It may be a slow process, as he rebuilds an audience for 2FM for the younger set, based on quality programming, but the ultimate goal of a qualitative change in both output and in the audience itself will be to be welcomed, both for radio and for a more civilized society as a whole. It is already a relief and a pleasure to be able to listen to 2FM, however briefly, without either shame or a real and present concern that some fresh pit of vulgarity or depravity is about to be plumbed.

Hats off to Mr Tubridy; as Richard Attenborough once wrote, sometimes, though you be in a minority of only one, and the whole world against you, you may be right. Clearly, other than to vendors anxious to sell their wares, numbers are inconsequential when quality is the goal. And quality must be the goal.

And one of the great advantages of state media is that it can take the long view; an audience can be built and consolidated over years, rather than over the days that the more impatient private sector media insist on. It was once said that Rome thought in terms of centuries; Raidió Éireann may not have quite that prospective time-range, but it clearly is capable of thinking in terms of years at least.

Hugo Brady Brown

A more elderly audience listening the senior service? I'm not too sure. I would have thought that anyone who knew 2FM from the egg could be no spring chicken themselves! I know that adolescence goes on these days until the age of 32, but still ...

Hugo Brady Brown

40's are the new 30's don't you know ;)

40's are the new 30's don't you know ;)

And I believe that this wisdom has been updated at roughly ten-yearly intervals, in every generation since the year dot.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Refreshing to hear Fanning on this morning... just happened to flick on to it and actually stayed listening for nearly 40 min. Some people find the man's rapidfire diction annoying but at least he's not that other bore, who becomes unberable in mere minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Wertz wrote: »
    Refreshing to hear Fanning on this morning... just happened to flick on to it and actually stayed listening for nearly 40 min. Some people find the man's rapidfire diction annoying but at least he's not that other bore, who becomes unberable in mere minutes...

Same here. I actually near always listen to Fanning when he's on. Pretty much because there is zero competition at that time of the morning. (except for the first 25-35 minutes of Pat Kenny)

Advertisement