Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Saw an article on DLB's agent recently. He Seems to represent "all" the big money RTE presenters as well as some of the late late show guests. I think he should be taken out. That would end all our problems. What does this man have on RTE that they feel obliged to pay his clients literally MILLIONS of euro....if all his clients disappeared RTE would actaully be a better place.

edit)
    futhermore he represents Diarmuid Gavin as well as Tubbs, considering they had a high profile interview last year, this does seem rather contrived now we know they are coached by the same guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Saw an article on DLB's agent recently. He Seems to represent "all" the big money RTE presenters as well as some of the late late show guests. I think he should be taken out. That would end all our problems. What does this man have on RTE that they feel obliged to pay his clients literally MILLIONS of euro....if all his clients disappeared RTE would actaully be a better place.

edit)
    futhermore he represents Diarmuid Gavin as well as Tubbs, considering they had a high profile interview last year, this does seem rather contrived now we know they are coached by the same guy.

Silly question here but who is DLB?.

Silly question here but who is DLB?.
    Ryan Tubridy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Ryan Tubridy

AKA dainty little bugger apparently :D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

Does anyone know if some behind the scenes staff been changed? I'm used to hearing references to the two Graces (G1 and G2) and the other research and production staff, but haven't heard them or references to them in ages?

I know they have tried to change around the show but if they replaced the behind the scene staff its a little unfair considering it seems that most people's issue with the show is with Tubridy's presenting style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Would anyone else be interested in organising a concerted campaign to get rid of tubridy off the airwaves? I am being totally serious. The thought of being subjected to this guy for another 30 years is too much to bear. I think we are entitled to expect alot more from rte. I was thinking about something along the lines of trying to collect a million signatures. Any other are ideas welcome. We could gather other members on here and all focus on different locations. I am not interested in the opinions of any little squealing pipsqueaks from cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

ghiertal wrote: »
    Would anyone else be interested in organising a concerted campaign to get rid of tubridy off the airwaves? I am being totally serious. The thought of being subjected to this guy for another 30 years is too much to bear. I think we are entitled to expect alot more from rte. I was thinking about something along the lines of trying to collect a million signatures. Any other are ideas welcome. We could gather other members on here and all focus on different locations. I am not interested in the opinions of any little squealing pipsqueaks from cork.

Actually since he stopped the paper reviews I never even turn him on anymore.. It actually feels good not having to hear him on radio so I'd kinda forgot about him. Its a shame for 2fm as it took me a over a year to stop listening completely hoping that Gerry's paper reviews might come back in some form. For me killing the paper reviews was the best thing, not even tempted to tune into that slot now as I have been doing for years. So yes If Tubridy left I might be tempted back in as I'm still floating with the radio dial in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Apart from your unbelievable transformation from sole defender to ringleader of the anti-tubs brigade, its the inexplicable provocative dig at cork people that has made me sure that you are just taking the mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Yes Ash. You got it. www.nkmanagement.ie is Ireland's greatest enemy. Forget all other threats to this nation of ours. Noel Kelly is able to cut deals with RTE management and foist the likes of the DLB, the Showgirl sisters, Craig Doyle, John Kelly, Claire Byrne and many other dreadful human beings on us. Licence Fee Joe takes it up the ass and Noel kelly is laughing at you. Yes you. Sipping Champagne with his stable of stars and smirking away. How do ya like them apples?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ok folks, here's warning no. 1 of 1: I'll be perfectly happy to close this thread if it continues to go off topic. Discuss Tubridy's radio show - NOT the Late Late, NOT his Fianna Fáil connections, etc. etc. - just THE SHOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

No, my wireless is stuck on 2fm. Ray darcy didn't host the queen, barack obama and the 9/11 ceremony. He didn't use rte to publicise rubbish book, doesn't host the late late. He didn't get into rte by being related to fianna fail hierarchy. Ray darcy is competent. He doesnt get one million euro from the state per annum, gathered to licence fees etc., and then claim to be a privately contracted worker. He doesn't have pipsqueaks constantly defending him. He doesn't have the sense of entitlement that tubridy has. The only way tubridy may quit his show now is if it drops to 1000 listeners in the next jnlr he might consider it. We are never going to get rid of this guy unless we actually let rte know that we won't put up with it any longer. It's not just about tubridy, it's about how the guys in power think they can just appoint their cronies to the biggest and most important jobs.

If you just want to sit back and take it that's fine for you. Everyone else doesn't have to take it. There are plenty of others like you here, who are happy to take whatever treatment is handed out by the top guys. One of the reasons darcy left rte was because he knew that he could never get the top posts there. He is not a member of the inner circle. In my opinion tubridy was primed for the LLS 15 years ago. Why else would he have quit studying law to become a runner on the gerry ryan show. It's not as if his performances in the meantime have merited this elevation. His whole career has been mapped out for a long time.

I'm not "taking" anything. I'm voicing an opinion just like you are. Just because I disagree with you doesn't give you the right to be abusive. You need to get down off your high horse and just get a life. Maybe you secretly envy Ryan Tubridy or maybe you even fancy him!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Bard wrote: »
    Ok folks, here's warning no. 1 of 1: I'll be perfectly happy to close this thread if it continues to go off topic. Discuss Tubridy's radio show - NOT the Late Late, NOT his Fianna Fáil connections, etc. etc. - just THE SHOW.

I couldn't agree more. It gets way too personal on these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

suzie987 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if some behind the scenes staff been changed? I'm used to hearing references to the two Graces (G1 and G2) and the other research and production staff, but haven't heard them or references to them in ages?

I know they have tried to change around the show but if they replaced the behind the scene staff its a little unfair considering it seems that most people's issue with the show is with Tubridy's presenting style.

I have a feeling that he's been told not to mention the Graces too much anymore, just as I also have a feeling that he's been told not to engage in too much banter with the newsreaders after they've finished reading out the news.
    It's all very well "having the craic" with assistants in the studio but Tubbs didn't seem to realise that it's not television and we can't see what's happening. Also, it kind of precludes the audience if he's having nice cosy chats on air with them about what they did for the weekend (which also happens to be extremely boring in any case).
    I think it was a mistake to drop the newspaper reviews as that's the main reason I tuned in. It's also the only reason I used to tune in to Gerry Ryan but I suppose considering that Tubbs seemed to be dominating a lot of the headlines in the tabloids for negative reasons they probably had no option.

Ghiertal, your complete volte-face on your opinion of Tubridy is truly staggering. I can only assume that you've been taking the piss all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ekat

Was he eventually convinced to play Brown Eyed Girl in full this morning? I really enjoyed the way he stopped and started the intro to it for the first hour of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

how many flamin' times did he play the intro of "brown eyed girl" ??!! even the others in my workplace were getting annoyed! then another irritating mother started to sh*t on about her brilliant kids...........yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!! at 10 o'clock i made an executive descision to tune into the local station and listen to the death notices and the state of local roads, until tubridy was finished. sure its no wonder hes losing listeners; the same sh*t day in day out!

I heard a few brown eyed girl bits alright, to be honest it irritated me so much it amused me!! It amused me that tubs was able to please all his fans and at the same really really really iritate his non-fans!!
    grrrrrrrrrrr...damn you tubridy ...evil middle of the road genius!!

It's all very well "having the craic" with assistants in the studio but Tubbs didn't seem to realise that it's not television and we can't see what's happening. Also, it kind of precludes the audience if he's having nice cosy chats on air with them about what they did for the weekend (which also happens to be extremely boring in any case).

I totally agree I got very annoyed at all those sort of private jokes and references he had with them!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

did he win anything at the awards or even get nominated

Tubridy is the host a civic reception for the Irish rugby team on Tuesday evening. Is there anything this man doesn't have his nose stuck in?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/1008/1224305440307.html

Radio moment of the week

Under fire over falling listenership figures, it is natural that Ryan Tubridy (Tubridy, 2FM, weekdays) should be interested in untapped audiences. But speaking to the author Miriam Devitt, who teaches sign language to babies, the host seemed to clutch at straws in his quest for listeners.
    “Can I ask you a question, and it might sound smart, or certainly ignorant: can deaf people listen to this show?”
    “No,” came the unsurprising answer.
    Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Clown. Someone was asking me why did i change my mind about tubridy. The truth is that i was convinced by people on here that i was wrong and his performances on the LLS and during the summer on the radio. Apologies if i offended anyone.

• Advertisement

I tuned in this morning...a naive young lady talking and crying about an affair she had....it's a winning formula for DLB, as all he had to do was go "hmm" "aha" "how did it make you feel"....for an hour...easy radio and a ratings winner...

Then an aviation journo came on and blamed video games for people shining lazers at aeroplanes..."they take a video game where they shoot down a tank or a plane and then take it into real life.."

another winning performance today,letting the calller do all the talking,talk about a handy well paid number.
    but tubs had to ask the caller did anybody die in the family in the last year:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

All i heard yesterday was a crazed DJ playing bits from children's Disney songs all the while an American caller trying to get off the line with the embarrassment

Paul Costello was just on and called Ryan 'Brian' at least 5 times!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

suzie987 wrote: »
    Paul Costello was just on and called Ryan 'Brian' at least 5 times!!!
    ha ha, yeah i heard it. Reminded me of that chef fella from bbc who was on tubridy tonight a few years back who kept calling him Brian.
    The radio show has improved a tiny bit, he has toned down the silly voices and i Havent heard 'baby monkey' for a while. I'd say he has it playing in the car on the way in in the mornings. Also, he has toned it down with the G1 and G2 crap, and the nonsense gibber jabber with the newsreader. Dont hear much about Obama or Mad Men either. Lets hope he keeps it up.

MJ23 wrote: »
    ha ha, yeah i heard it. Reminded me of that chef fella from bbc who was on tubridy tonight a few years back who kept calling him Brian.
    The radio show has improved a tiny bit, he has toned down the silly voices and i Havent heard 'baby monkey' for a while. I'd say he has it playing in the car on the way in in the mornings. Also, he has toned it down with the G1 and G2 crap, and the nonsense gibber jabber with the newsreader. Dont hear much about Obama or Mad Men either. Lets hope he keeps it up.
    I was thinking that, however yesterday his entire opening monologue was complete nonsensical jibberish. Having said that i think tubs is starting to edge ahead of Ray Darcy now...At least tubs is jibberish and doesn't impose his boring views upon us...

I was thinking that, however yesterday his entire opening monologue was complete nonsensical jibberish. Having said that i think tubs is starting to edge ahead of Ray Darcy now...At least tubs is jibberish and doesn't impose his boring views upon us...

Agree with you about Darcy. His show is starting to turn into a lecture. He really has become a boring old fart in his middle age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

God, this thread has gone very quiet. Have people stopped listening altogether? So is Tubridy still a cnut or what? I'm dying to know!

God, this thread has gone very quiet. Have people stopped listening altogether? So is Tubridy still a cnut or what? I'm dying to know!

he will never change the show consists of death illness and other peoples misery just like the late late:eek:

• Advertisement

His show has become boring since he's gotten rid of a lot of his annoying affectations such as JFK, Madmen, badinage with the Graces, chatting up the newsreaders, Tune That Name (It's a copyright thing), Jimmy Stewart, Roald Dahl, jelly babies and bonbons.

By the way Art, how's the latex business going??

Advertisement