Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Rubik. wrote: »
    RTE has lost €70m in annual commercial revenues from mid-2008, this not going change anytime soon and there is no hope the the government is going increase the the licence fee. So in the current climate a 34 million euro deficit is not a relatively small amount. The deficits that RTE has inncurred over the recent years has resulted in 200 people losing their jobs, around 9% of the total workforce and a further 90 are to go this year.

Btw easychair, you're passive aggressive style of posting is particularly annoying.

I'm not familiar with RTE's finances. This conversation began because another poster said that the government would have to write a cheque to meet its losses this year. You seem to be saying here that, in fact, RTE is addressing its losses by a programme of cost cutting instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

easychair wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with RTE's finances. This conversation began because another poster said that the government would have to write a cheque to meet its losses this year. You seem to be saying here that, in fact, RTE is addressing its losses by a programme of cost cutting instead.

Yes there has been cost cutting, but there still will be a 34 million deficit this year. How that deficit will dealt with when it comes to next years budget? - I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Rubik. wrote: »
    this not going change anytime soon and there is no hope that the government is going to increase the licence fee.

No instead they have Rabbitte doing their bidding for them by changing legislation that will take more people into the catchment area of enforced revenue collection and hence increase income that way. They might even manage to snare Easychair in their new system...

It's cost cutting measures include sacking 200 lowly paid staff who probably need the work but yet those at the top, including Mr Tubridy, remain on the 2008 levels of remuneration. Cutting costs will also mean a lower rate of home productions and purchases of foreign produced content, but yet their cost for advertising slots across their TV and radio stations have not fallen; something I thought would be a surefire way to get more revenue in instead of running your own promotional ads and TV license renewal reminders to pad out the ad breaks.
    The prgramme of cost cutting can only go so far and doesn't seem to be about to extend to where the true fat lies within the organisation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

How RTE trying to use a loss as a bargaining chip translates to "the public" paying for their loss seems uncertain.

Who pays any increase in licence fee.
    The public......... there's your answer.

RTE is a company, and its finances are corporate.

Apart from the public part........ the licence tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Jaysus lads, talk about going around in square circles

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »

Cutting costs will also mean a lower rate of home productions and purchases of foreign produced content, .

I've never fully understood this. Most TV stations around the world get no subsidy, and yet make a profit. Some TV companies around the world get no subsidy and make large profits, mainly because they make TV shows (usually in English) which are in demand right around the world.

Wouldn't it be great if RTE was a station which made programmes people wanted to watch, and would pay RTE for the rights to show them in other countries. The evidence is that subsidising RTE encourages them to produce programmes which no one outside Ireland wants to watch or buy, and allows them to have mediocre talent which is grossly overpaid.

Would Fraser, The Wire, The Golden Girls, The West Wing, Friends etc etc etc ever have seen the light of day if the companies which made them were not properly commercial, and if they knew that they would all be out of business, and jobs, unless they make a profit and produce programmes people actually want to watch, and will pay to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Get back on topic please. The mods reserve the right to liberally and frantically delete posts which veer off the topic at hand (i.e.: The Tubridy show on 2FM, not Tubridy's personal life or RTÉ's revenue structure, TV shows, etc.). Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

strange piece on Dana this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

I'm sorry, although he is a competent presenter, and there are many competent presenters, I always thought he lacked sincerity, genuine warmth, and seems to be very very keen to keep up a certain persona that he is likeable and personable and friendly. I think he is terrified that people will eventually see the man behind the curtain

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why does he seem to only have middle class women callers on?

• Advertisement

policeman wrote: »
    I'm sorry, although he is a competent presenter, and there are many competent presenters, I always thought he lacked sincerity, genuine warmth, and seems to be very very keen to keep up a certain persona that he is likeable and personable and friendly. I think he is terrified that people will eventually see the man behind the curtain
    Funny thing is he'd probably be ok if he was himself instead of this alter ego he has developed...

there was a sugestion in the herald yesterday that perhaps he was the saviour of all the celtic tiger suckers back in the day and now that their game is up he is irrelevent...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

anyone hear that really annoying woman on the show yesterday, ****ing on about trying to manage her 4 kids and having to bring them here, there and everywhere to their extra curricular activities?? she was a stay at home mom (her decision). id thought she'd never stop. i guessed her kids attended a gael school and they did!! you know the type- decides to send her kids to a smaller school because they fear there are too many cultures at the ordainary primary school and her darlings wont get the attention they so rightly derserve. tubridy was totally loving her and entertaining it. i reckon thats the bulk of his listnership- irritating moms who have to text in and let him know that they were just dancing around the kitchen with their kids, to that last song. BARF!

I heard 10 mins of both tubridy and darcy today....and i have to say...tubs was better..

just sayin...like in all fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I Think Tubs was hoodwinked this morning by the guy saying he couldn't fill jobs and only 18 out of 72 attended for interiew and 7 of the 10 offered jobs turned up.

These are "well paid sales jobs in the sme sector" according to the company rep.

A quick look up of the company DSM shows that the jobs in reality were cold calling jobs selling electricity, gas and phone contracts. - Possibly one of the worst jobs on the market and only for either those who are really really good at sales (bound to have better jobs) or chancers.

To the tubs show - if there are 15 sales jobs on offer for "immediate start" and "no experience required" - then they are not real jobs.

maxer68 wrote: »
    I Think Tubs was hoodwinked this morning by the guy saying he couldn't fill jobs and only 18 out of 72 attended for interiew and 7 of the 10 offered jobs turned up.

These are "well paid sales jobs in the sme sector" according to the company rep.

A quick look up of the company DSM shows that the jobs in reality were cold calling jobs selling electricity, gas and phone contracts. - Possibly one of the worst jobs on the market and only for either those who are really really good at sales (bound to have better jobs) or chancers.

To the tubs show - if there are 15 sales jobs on offer for "immediate start" and "no experience required" - then they are not real jobs.

What a strange post. I'd rather have a job cold calling selling electricity, gas and phone contracts, rather then be on the dole, if those were indeed the jobs he was talking about.

If they are not "real jobs" as you claim, then how worse off is someone on the dole to find that out? What if you are wrong, and there are "real jobs" there?

What a strange post. I'd rather have a job cold calling selling electricity, gas and phone contracts, rather then be on the dole, if those were indeed the jobs he was talking about.

If they are not "real jobs" as you claim, then how worse off is someone on the dole to find that out? What if you are wrong, and there are "real jobs" there?

Maybe if you had heard the pice, you'd know what I was on about.

This guy was WAY WAY WAY overselling the jobs and not telling tubs exactly what the jobs were.

It never said they were short term contracts nor did he say that if you didn't hit targets you were turfed out immediately.

These sales companys churn staff at a phenomenal rate and their comment tat people don;t want jobs is false and misleading of the general jobseeker. - I have 1st hand experience of this, I had 4 new positions this year and all were filled immediately by people on the dole wanting to do anything to get off the dole - a complete contrast to what this guy was saying.

I as replying to what you said in your post, and not to the piece on the radio, which I didn't hear.

Maybe if I had heard it I might have responded differently, although in my experience many salesmen WAY WAY WAY oversell their products, and overselling in my experience rarely works, just as it didn't on you, in fact.

I as replying to what you said in your post, and not to the piece on the radio, which I didn't hear.

Maybe if I had heard it I might have responded differently, although in my experience many salesmen WAY WAY WAY oversell their products, and overselling in my experience rarely works, just as it didn't on you, in fact.

Thankfully I have no requirement for a job and employ 10 people (6 extra since Jan)

The issue here was some guy was slating unemployed poeple and trying to say that they get too many benefits and are not interested in jobs. Total BS, more likely that his jobs are the type that are not as advertised and have an extremely high churn rate - hence his "regular need" for sales people.

Would you really work for a small basic with everything else dependent on commission on cold calling?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

I haven't been on here in a while as i got sick of people stifling debate but the reason i am posting this is because yesterday i read one of the most sickening, repulsive and contrived interviews ever submitted to ink. It was truly appalling even by the creature tubridy's standards.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2041556/RTEs-poster-boy-Ryan-Tubridy-hits-critics.html

I'd rather drink sewage than be subjected to this imbecile's putrid, turgid and rank excuse for a radio show. Everything he ever utters is rehearsed propaganda to explain his negligible performances on radio. He never tires in contradicting himself, he doesn't worry about poor rating but endlessly regurgitates his good ratings, he is supposedly modest but who really believes this man.

"I don't get into trumpet-blowing but I also need to protect myself from some perceptions taking root that aren't necessarily true. The Late Late Show has found itself in a very healthy position in the last two years.
    'So, with that in mind, I would add one blow of the trumpet, which was that the Toy Show last year was the most watched programme on Irish television in 15 years. So, I'll say it again, we're doing OK.'

He even goes so far as to launch a thinly-veiled attack on Eamon Dunphy. I'm not surprised tubridy doesn't like him as Eamon is everything that tubridy isn't. Eamon is a courageous man who isn't afraid to afraid to take on the establishment, while tubridy is the cushion to help soften the indiscretions and errors of the rich and powerful.

Many critics believe the Late Late could lose even more numbers as the U.S. X Factor is now airing on TV3 on Friday nights.
    'The Late Late Show has always had a record of attracting competition. At one point, Éamon Dunphy gave it a lash. And that didn't last.
    'I think X Factor is a much stronger opposition and oftentimes these things only serve to up the game of the opposition. It's just another challenge. I seem to take on a lot of challenges so here's another one. Bring it on and we'll do our best.

What challenges do you take on tubridy? Walking outof Trinity on the airwaves must be tough. As for his crap about living a frugal life, i seem to remember another certain FF plutocrat try to fill us with this nonsense. It's propaganda. Tubridy, we don't forget, especially not your refusal to take a pay cut and where do you stand now on the fact that if you generate big audiences then you are entitled to a share of advertising revenue? Does it work the same way if you lose listeners.

Is there anything about him that's not a facsimile of either gerry ryan or gay byrne? Gerry always used the tardis/doctor who analogy, gay byrne likes sinatra and bobby darin, gb loved donegal so tubridy chose connemara. To mock royalty and accuse the ninety year-old Prince Philip of assaulting him is the lowest of the low but nothing surprises me with this cretin.

'Prince Philip was acting like a messer in the back of a class, you know, digging the ribs, saying, "What sort of a mug would pay rent like that for Arthur Guinness, like a ­thousand-­year rent or something?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

ghiertal wrote: »
    Another prediction i will make is that Gar will be a huge success on Radio 1 this summer and could possibly take over from Ryan if we lose him. I know that i will be mocked for this but i don't care.

So ghiertal, back in April you thought Gar (Garret - Tubs brother) would be a huge success if we lost Tubs. Do you still think so?

Also I am curious as to the real reason you now seem to hate Tubs considering you used to defend him so staunchly, it seems like you are taking the p1ss to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

this cretin.

[/I]

Come on Mods - you banned Jimmy Nokia repeatedly for far less and are letting this WUM get away with taking the p1ss out what what is actually a serious thread??:confused:

Alternatively, Ghiertal may be a double agent whose real agenda is to get the thread locked to take the focus off RT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Very hard bring any liking of the man away from that interview.. I get the sense of him talking down to the plebs.. We dont understand why the rating for the radio show have fallen, but he's kindly explained that it's nothing to do with his performance.. And the usual sense of entitlement..
    'I see me doing it in the short to mid-term. I think Pat (Kenny) was right; he bowed out after 10 years. I think that's about right for the show.'

His contract is up next year, and he makes assumption that he will be kept on.. I dont think he realises how much his stock value has gone down, and really how expendable he now is to RTE..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Maybe im going soft in my old age but i've tuned into tubs the last few days an its seems to have got better :confused:
    Silly voices and singing to the ends of song seems to have disappeared.

I still think Hayes should get the whole gig though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm not surprised tubridy doesn't like him as Eamon is everything that tubridy isn't. Eamon is a courageous man who isn't afraid to afraid to take on the establishment, while tubridy is the cushion to help soften the indiscretions and errors of the rich and powerful.

Ah, now, Ghiertal... You know we sing off the same hymn sheet most of the time - and Eamon does a sterling job a lot of the time - but you have to admit that Dunphy can be as craven as Tubs sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Eamon is a courageous man who isn't afraid to afraid to take on the establishment, while tubridy is the cushion to help soften the indiscretions and errors of the rich and powerful.

No he isn't. Perhaps you should listen more carefully. The man is a sycophant and getting worse.
    Walking out of Trinity on the airwaves must be tough.

He went to UCD and not Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Come on Mods - you banned Jimmy Nokia repeatedly for far less and are letting this WUM get away with taking the p1ss out what what is actually a serious thread??:confused:
    I have a strong suspicion that they are in fact the same poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Imhof Tank wrote: »

use the "report post" function if you feel something needs to be brought to the attention of the Moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Aidric wrote: »
    No he isn't. Perhaps you should listen more carefully. The man is a sycophant and getting worse.

He went to UCD and not Trinity.

What you think of Eamon is a matter of opinion. I thought tubridy had started studying law in Trinity when he quit after a few weeks to become a runner on Gerry Ryan's show. However, i bow to your superior knowledge. Looks like i was also wrong about people trying to stop criticism of tubridy on here. Just how many want me banned?

Aidric, pray tell me how do enjoy the show? You only ever seem to pounce on other people's errors and statements. Why not make a contribution on here yourself and tell us why you like tubridy's broadcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Since the paper reviews stopped a few weeks back I've not listened in. Whats the general vibe like, reading over the last few pages it seems like he may be improving (he could not get any worse I admit), are there still plenty Partridge moments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I listened in this morning, (I usually don't ) but my regular station were talking about divorce :rolleyes:.I heard some of the interview about the 18 year old who had some kind of car accident and she got a bill from the fire service for 1300 euro.While I do accept that this a terrible price,I was feeling sorry for her until she said she was a student( hoping to be a traffic cop :P) still had the car and was only working 3 days.Might it be an idea to sell it dear? Now maybe she needs it, but you sometimes have to compromise especially with a bill like that:confused:

Advertisement