Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

God, this thread has gone very quiet. Have people stopped listening altogether? So is Tubridy still a cnut or what? I'm dying to know!
    yep I'm out unless I catch a bit while changing stations, any bits I caught are dreadful so I keep switching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

God, this thread has gone very quiet. Have people stopped listening altogether? So is Tubridy still a cnut or what? I'm dying to know!

I stopped listening. Changed station completely all day and no regrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

I suppose at one time RTE had a monopoly and the choice simply wasn't there for many people but to listen to RTE.

Nowadays, I have an internet radio player on my phone, my tablet, and on my Roberts Wifi radio. This means I can listen to radio from anywhere around the globe. For instance, the other evening I went for a walk and tuned in to a talk radio show in Melbourne.

RTE simply seems institutionally incapable of putting good presenters on the radio, with a couple of exceptions. The institution which is RTE seems to prefer to see itself as a home for a number of obscenely paid "stars", and no matter what happens RTE is going to keep shuffling the pack of the same "stars", and keep obscenely overpaying them.

I think RTE seems to see itself as a sort of club for people whom it appoints to positions of "stardom", and once your are appointed you are there for life, never to be changed or dismissed, no matter how piss poor you are.

I imagine more and more people will simply turn off from this rotten station as they become more and more aware of the alternatives, and realise in this new age of communications, they are no longer forced to listen to RTE or even to Irish Radio, but have a whole world of radio out there to enjoy.

Ireland is full of articulate, interesting, intelligent and likeable people. RTE chooses to ignore most of them and instead give the nation, for example, Tubridy, Duffy and Mooney for reasons only RTE know, and not for reasons that many want to listen to these pedestrian broadcasters.

RTE is an expensive relic of the old Ireland, undemocratic, wasteful, overpaid, of little real value to the nation, and of course all done on someone else's money. The station is puffed up and convinced by what it sees as its own importance, and I wonder how much longer it can last.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Tubridy: 'I'll stay and take pay cut'

= please don't fire me

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/im-not-leaving-rte-says-tubridy-after-station-chiefs-pay-ultimatum-2909799.html

'I'm going nowhere. I won't be going to any of RTE's competitors. I am staying with the station'

'I'm going nowhere' = I will chain myself to my desk (Dale Farm style)

'I won't be going to any of RTE's competitors' = Given my failed formats and the fact that I've destroyed two former (not in my time) number one ratings TV and Radio shows not even a local radio station would consider offering me a non paid gig.

'I am staying with the station' = I am on my knees praying to the dead Gods of Fianna Fail that RTE don't fire me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

my friend wrote: »

= please don't fire me

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/im-not-leaving-rte-says-tubridy-after-station-chiefs-pay-ultimatum-2909799.html

'I'm going nowhere. I won't be going to any of RTE's competitors. I am staying with the station'

'I won't be going to any of RTE's competitors' = Given my failed formats and the fact that I've destroyed two former (not in my time) number one ratings TV and Radio shows not even a local radio station would consider offering me a non paid gig.

'I am staying with the station' = I am on my knees praying to the dead Gods of Fianna Fail that RTE don't fire me.
    That's how i see it!!

there is a tension building in the country now and RTE are about to get it bigtime!

• Advertisement

my friend wrote: »

= please don't fire me

That's how i see it!!

there is a tension building in the country now and RTE are about to get it bigtime!

When will RTE get it big time, and what form will their getting it big time take so I can be sure to recognise it and not miss then getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Does anybody know if Tubbs still plays Nob Nation? I usually tune in for it after the 10 o'clock news but if Tubbs doesn't play it straight away I switch over to Pat Kenny. I wasn't a fan of Gerry Ryan but at least he played it straight after the 10am news every morning on the button.

easychair wrote: »
    When will RTE get it big time, and what form will their getting it big time take so I can be sure to recognise it and not miss then getting it
    tomorrow, 8.57am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Does anybody know if Tubbs still plays Nob Nation? I usually tune in for it after the 10 o'clock news but if Tubbs doesn't play it straight away I switch over to Pat Kenny. I wasn't a fan of Gerry Ryan but at least he played it straight after the 10am news every morning on the button.

Has Callan's move to R1 on saturday afternoon not meant that Knob Nation was given the heave ho?
    I thought Callan was alright in small doses, the odd time I'd heard it, but the 30 mins is too much and the lack of material shows. To be fair to him, Rosenstock probably couldn't fill a half hour and maintain it either...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

time is almost up i think

today i flicked onto show twice and what was on it ,death and illness AGAIN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I think there are powerful forces at work here, Tubs blatant FF bias prior to the last election hasn't been forgotten. My bold prediction, someone from Newstalk will replace Tubs shortly, maybe a new LLS host by 2012 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Tubridy did not put himself in that position on 2fm. Another shuffle is on the cards but earliest I see that happening is March 12 or even Sept next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

bbability wrote: »
    Tubridy did not put himself in that position on 2fm. Another shuffle is on the cards but earliest I see that happening is March 12 or even Sept next year.

shuffle = failure

failure should result in P45

RTE should not be a retirement home for failed broadcasters

can anyone confirm that the recent changes made behind the scenes on the dlb show has made it less annoying then darcy?
    Granted tubs's real personality shines through at regular points and ruins all the good work, but there is a marked improvement.

Funny though...becuase all we heard from tubs about both his shows was "things will improve i'm gonna make them my own".....and now it seems that "making it his own" was the problem as the radio show is going back to Gerry Ryans format!!
    everytime i've tuned in lately there has been a long phonecall where a distressed caller phones in and tells a story....and all tubs has to do is empathise and say "aha...mmmm....really.......shocking......." for an hour!!

Yesterday was all about the aviva staff and their unfortunate situation, this morning he awarded a "worker of the week" to a model bint who had a photoshoot in the cold!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

everytime i've tuned in lately there has been a long phonecall where a distressed caller phones in and tells a story....and all tubs has to do is empathise and say "aha...mmmm....really.......shocking......." for an hour!!

JD better watch his back...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

can anyone confirm that the recent changes made behind the scenes on the dlb show has made it less annoying then darcy?
    Granted tubs's real personality shines through at regular points and ruins all the good work, but there is a marked improvement.

over the last 3 weeks i think there has been changes. hes deffinitly playing a better mix of music and trying to vary the topics. he doesnt seem as hyper. however............those irritating moms are still lurking in the background, waiting for the chance to pounce and text in to say that they were just dancing in the kitchen with their 3 year old, to that song, blah blah......
    but i definilty smell change in the air. maybe he follows this thread?????

They need to shuffle now,THEY should have the pay cuts now too not another 6 months down the road.
    People are not going to listen in until it changes and thats quite evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

over the last 3 weeks i think there has been changes. hes deffinitly playing a better mix of music and trying to vary the topics. he doesnt seem as hyper. however............those irritating moms are still lurking in the background, waiting for the chance to pounce and text in to say that they were just dancing in the kitchen with their 3 year old, to that song, blah blah......
    but i definilty smell change in the air. maybe he follows this thread?????
    :D there's one on right now (after the one that was on earlier) same old formula day in day out - Tubs flirts with the mums - its quite funny actually

jimmynokia wrote: »

They need to shuffle now,THEY should have the pay cuts now too not another 6 months down the road.
    People are not going to listen in until it changes and thats quite evident.

According to JNLR he has about 200 000 listerer. While that's only about two thirds of the figure for Gerry Ryan, it seems about 200 000 people disagree with you, and listen to him at

the moment.
    There will always be some people who dont listen to any show, what is important is the numbers who do listen, and not those who don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

According to JNLR he has about 200 000 listerer.

Shocking figures for a station that is at number 2 on the dial, is cross-promoted on RTE, and for a show that Tubridy mentions at the end of every LATE LATE with an "I'll see you on 2fm on Monday morning".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

And there must be at least 200,000 radios that are broken with the dial stuck on 2fm so that's his listener base right there!

And there must be at least 200,000 radios that are broken with the dial stuck on 2fm so that's his listener base right there!

Just because you want to believe that those which listen to his show do so because their radio "dial" is stuck (I haven't seen a radio with a dial for many years), seems to suggest you are not able to make a clear judgement about Tubridy, and your personal prejudice seems to get the better of your facukties of judgement.

Just because you want to believe that those which listen to his show do so because their radio "dial" is stuck (I haven't seen a radio with a dial for many years), seems to suggest you are not able to make a clear judgement about Tubridy, and your personal prejudice seems to get the better of your facukties of judgement.

like him or not or like it or not he is shedding listeners..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Havent listened in, in about two months.. Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I seem to remember Tubridy giving quite strong hints that he would be interested in a move to the UK around the time of his move to cover the Graham Norton show on BBC Radio 2. Has he given up on that option?

Big changes. He's stopped making the show his own and now he's making it jerry Ryans. With a hint of partridge of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

I have only heard snatches since the new producer came in but there is certainly a change. He is interacting with callers on a more regular basis but i have come to the opinion that he is simply not suitable for this type of show. I recently saw an interview he did where he said that he wouldn't ever write a book like Joe Duffy's. If he is so unwilling to bring anything regarding his private life into the public arena then it makes it difficult for him to be conduct these types of interviews. It is as if he has placed a barrier around himself and cannot reach out to people.

He seems to have done a volte-face on his tenure in rte. In the past he didn't know what the future held but couldn't see himself being in the same position in 10 years time. Not he is 100% committed to rte. A few years ago he could not take a pay-cut due to "legal reasons", now he understands what the country is going through and is very anxious to help the nation pull it's way out of this crisis.

I still believe that he plays too much music for a 2 hour show. I don't know how his music content compares with Colm Hayes's. I think he knows that he has a good thing going here now. The arrogance of FF has been dismantled, like Stalin's statues in Eastern Europe so Tubridy is not in the strong position of the Celtic Tiger era. It seems that nothing arose from his stint in Britain so now all his eggs are in one basket and he is managing public opinion in a very smart way but that sense of entitlement still lurks there under the surface.

Ray D'arcy has been reading the headlines after the 9 o clock news on a number of mornings. Don't know if it is regular.

It seems he is letting mothers come on and do all the talking and he just listens,and somewhat flirtatious.
    Then out of the blue a willywonka,jellybean scenario comes out of nowhere then its did anybody die in your family or is there an illness and this is just from flicking through the stations in the morning not actually listening to it.

Clearly this man is not meant for this show full stop,i have hoped things would change,but it wont,however i can see some big changes soon due to the pay cut issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

ghiertal wrote: »
    I still believe that he plays too much music for a 2 hour show.

I wonder is this an idea he took back with him from Norton's show..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

ghiertal wrote: »
    Ray D'arcy has been reading the headlines after the 9 o clock news on a number of mornings. Don't know if it is regular.

I've switched over to hear the paper headlines and yes its seems to be every morning. Not up to Gerry's standard but he does the job fine.

Advertisement