Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yahew wrote: »
    Tubs seems to be letting it get him down. Hence, no more twitter.

Some say at the behest of the BBC after his "riot" comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

mikom wrote: »
    Some say at the behest of the BBC after his "riot" comment.

I would take what "some say" with a pinch of salt.

I would take what "some say" with a pinch of salt.

Ryan didn't it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Hugo, are you Tubridy's dad or Gay Byrne? Seriously, "...his worthy work as an author and historian.." you gotta be taking the piss. Come on, who are you really? Jimmy Nokia, Jonathon Anon...have you turned troll? Ghiertal, it's you isn't it?

Please rest assured that I am what I appear to be. In fact, I would discountenance the placing of any matter into the public domain under assumed names, believing it to diminish the sense of restraint that behoves people in this activity.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Well Hugo, I may not agree with everything you say, but I like the cut of your jib. ;)

• Advertisement

Well Hugo, I may not agree with everything you say, but I like the cut of your jib. ;)

Thanks Harry Angstrom. We can expect no more, and it's pleasing when we can respect even what we cannot always agree with, on both sides of every question.

BTW, you sound a bit updikey to me. Any relation?

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

"...his worthy work as an author and historian..” I found this quite amusing too Hugo, he produced what best could be described as an JFK Irish commemorative visit coffee table book, endlessly promoted it through RTE TV and radio (free of charge I presume) for the xmas market.
    As an “historian” he refuses to acknowledge the darker side of the Kennedy clan especially Joe Kennedy, or even the events leading up to his death.

I’m sure there are plenty of genuine historians and authors in our universities that deserve an opportunity to promote their work, but all we get the “Tubs money spinner annual” and Amanda Brunker

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

Please rest assured that I am what I appear to be. In fact, I would discountenance the placing of any matter into the public domain under assumed names, believing it to diminish the sense of restraint that behoves people in this activity.
    Hugo Brady Brown

Of course Hugo is a real person. He is the toast, or even the marmalade on the toast, of Stratford-on-Slaney, County Wicklow.
    Who has driven their vintage motor through that village and not given thanks on hearing Marty in the Morning join the starling and the robin in aural benediction for the new born day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Having read some of HugoBradyBrown's posts, I fear he misses out on the real point of this, and similar, threads, which is to act as a vehicle for some to indulge in that most Irish of bloodsports, the "celebrity knocking".

If it wasn't Tubridy, it would be someone else ( as it was Gerry Ryan before him here).

Those who like to indulge themselves in this game are not content to decide they don't like his show, or shows, and watch or listen to something else, like most normal adults. Their relationship with Tubridy ensures they must watch, listen and read anything and everything by and about him. They pretend not to like him, but in reality are his biggest and most loyal fans, following everything about him, and by him.

The particular players of this sport listen to his shows avidly before rushing here bursting to tell everyone how dreadful it is before giving, in some detail, example after example of the dreadfulness of it all. They will read his books, or newspaper articles about him before, again, gleefully rushing here to put their spin about how dreadful it all is.

To be fair and balanced is not what they are about and their professed dislike of Tubridy becomes to look like an obsession.

Some even resort to lines spewing forth their bitterness and bile towards Tubridy, a person they don't know, and can easily avoid seeing or hearing, yet they choose to keep watching and listening to him. It's unusual behaviour and not seen to the same extent, as far as I am aware, in any other country across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Hugo, are you Tubridy's dad or Gay Byrne? Seriously, "...his worthy work as an author and historian.." you gotta be taking the piss. Come on, who are you really? Jimmy Nokia, Jonathon Anon...have you turned troll? Ghiertal, it's you isn't it?

Are you making some kind of accusation here i hope you can back this up
    this has been questioned before and of course answered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

folks please get this thread back on track. Discuss Ryan Tubridy's private life elsewhere. This is a radio forum not the Jeremy Kyle Show Thread.

easychair wrote: »
    Having read some of HugoBradyBrown's posts, I fear he misses out on the real point of this, and similar, threads, which is to act as a vehicle for some to indulge in that most Irish of bloodsports, the "celebrity knocking".

If it wasn't Tubridy, it would be someone else ( as it was Gerry Ryan before him here).

Those who like to indulge themselves in this game are not content to decide they don't like his show, or shows, and watch or listen to something else, like most normal adults. Their relationship with Tubridy ensures they must watch, listen and read anything and everything by and about him. They pretend not to like him, but in reality are his biggest and most loyal fans, following everything about him, and by him.

The particular players of this sport listen to his shows avidly before rushing here bursting to tell everyone how dreadful it is before giving, in some detail, example after example of the dreadfulness of it all. They will read his books, or newspaper articles about him before, again, gleefully rushing here to put their spin about how dreadful it all is.

To be fair and balanced is not what they are about and their professed dislike of Tubridy becomes to look like an obsession.

Some even resort to lines spewing forth their bitterness and bile towards Tubridy, a person they don't know, and can easily avoid seeing or hearing, yet they choose to keep watching and listening to him. It's unusual behaviour and not seen to the same extent, as far as I am aware, in any other country across the world.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGJ42C5ILHIrdDG7Lpb_YIANUhSB_5iKf7NaveCUeDvkmmekxJ8g

just to add have you asked why he is in the newpapers every day of the week and why he continues to shed listeners?
    how balanced is that?

Yes, easychair, that is a very telling observation. It really gets to the centre of the issue. Exactly the same is to be found in the Marty in the Morning thread, where the small minority of critics make up in intensity and length of contributions for what they lack in listenership support for their position; they seem to know the running order and the playlist down to the last minute. It suggests masochism, or fascination, or 'false consciousness', or, I hesitate to utter it, 'trolling'; there may be another explanation for this putting themselves in the line of fire of what they clearly revile, but it is, to put it no higher, curious.

Ryan's work, too, is subject to a public echoing of Sunday newspaper empty criticism, so there is a feedback cycle in action, which is excluding the ordinary viewer, and which generates a lot of noise, and a lot of heat, but rather little light.

What is The Late Show anyway? A modest effort at entertaining us on those evenings when we have nothing better to do, when we have nothing in our calendar, when we are 'washing our hair'. It is not an Audience with Lord Clark of Civilization, it is - and is intended to be - the equivalent of flicking through Hello! magazine while under the dryer. I would recommend Andy O'Mahoney's Dialogue on the senior service early on a Saturday evening, for those who want grist to their intellectual mills.

I also find a slight sense of nauseating pseudo-familiarity with the talent on some threads, where a man like Ryan is named 'Tubs'. This is impertinent, to say the least, and suggests that some people are again sublimating a desire to be Ryan's personal friend into schoolboy taunts, in default of being able to achieve the desired intimacy with the talent. But that is by the way.

Hugo Brady Brown

Yes, easychair, that is a very telling observation. It really gets to the centre of the issue. Exactly the same is to be found in the Marty in the Morning thread, where the small minority of critics make up in intensity and length of contributions for what they lack in listenership support for their position; they seem to know the running order and the playlist down to the last minute. It suggests masochism, or fascination, or 'false consciousness', or, I hesitate to utter it, 'trolling'; there may be another explanation for this putting themselves in the line of fire of what they clearly revile, but it is, to put it no higher, curious.

Ryan's work, too, is subject to a public echoing of Sunday newspaper empty criticism, so there is a feedback cycle in action, which is excluding the ordinary viewer, and which generates a lot of noise, and a lot of heat, but rather little light.

What is The Late Show anyway? A modest effort at entertaining us on those evenings when we have nothing better to do, when we have nothing in our calendar, when we are 'washing our hair'. It is not an Audience with Lord Clark of Civilization, it is - and is intended to be - the equivalent of flicking through Hello! magazine while under the dryer. I would recommend Andy O'Mahoney's Dialogue on the senior service early on a Saturday evening, for those who want grist to their intellectual mills.

I also find a slight sense of nauseating pseudo-familiarity with the talent on some threads, where a man like Ryan is named 'Tubs'. This is impertinent, to say the least, and suggests that some people are again sublimating a desire to be Ryan's personal friend into schoolboy taunts, in default of being able to achieve the desired intimacy with the talent. But that is by the way.

Hugo Brady Brown

where a man like Ryan is named 'Tubs'.

Its his nickname,i think everybody has one...:confused:

jimmynokia wrote: »
    where a man like Ryan is named 'Tubs'.

Its his nickname,i think everybody has one...:confused:

No, I would dispute that everyone has one, certainly not in adult, mature, civilized society. If one had any doubt about the propriety of using a nickname, I would find it a useful guide to enquire of the person's parents or spouse or children as to what it was. The null answer that one would get would inform one as to whether or not one had strayed into juvenile, sophomoric, moronic or coarse linguistic territory.

I would hope that this might be helpful to anyone in need of guidance in social interaction, at this hour of their lives.

Hugo Brady Brown

No, I would dispute that everyone has one, certainly not in adult, mature, civilized society. If one had any doubt about the propriety of using a nickname, I would find it a useful guide to enquire of the person's parents or spouse or children as to what it was. The null answer that one would get would inform one as to whether or not one had strayed into juvenile, sophomoric, moronic or coarse linguistic territory.

I would hope that this might be a helpful guide to anyone in need of guidance in social interaction, at this hour of their lives.

Hugo Brady Brown

whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Anytime anyone ever praises Tubridy you "rush on here" to tell that person that everyone else on the thread is somehow mentally imbalanced and that they could easily avoid Tubridy. Forgetting the fact that this Hugo Brady Brown is obviously a WUM(I will countenance no opinions against this) and will spam this thread like he has done so with others, posters are perfectly entitled to submit their opinions in whatever fashion they see fit. You previously attacked JonathanAnon because he listened to the BBC and now once again you try to stifle dissenters.

The trouble he is in relates to his poor showing on 2fm and not the LLS. His figures are an embarrassment to RTE, when one considers the publicity and previous audience he has been afforded. To the man, he has told us on numerous occasions that he has no problems dealing with negative press however now he is moaning like a drain.

March 2005:"No, because snipers tend to operate from tall towers, out of my view. But anyway, you develop a very thick skin very quickly in this business."

August 2005: "I know I haven't perfected the Radio 1 style yet. But my philosophy comes from my grandfather, a man called Todd Andrews, who wasn't a fan of responding to the critics. And I think they were wise words. But let me say you develop a thick skin in this country very quickly, and mine isn't getting any thinner."

May 2010: ” I’m well paid and I’m a big boy and I’ve a thick skin"

November 2010: "I think my Tweeting days are numbered," he wrote. "Fun but not always worth the grief, despite thick skin, etc."

August 2011:The presenter also dismissed rumours that he had quit using social media because he was upset by hurtful comments posted about himself.
    "I’ve thick enough skin for that stuff," he laughed

Everybody knows that we are stuck with Tubridy, guffawing over trite celebrity tittle-tattle. He avoids any matters that could engage the public. To see his face light up when Jedward is mentioned is indicative of his raison d'etre on the LLS. He aligns himself with Gay Byrne but is as far removed from him as you could imagine. His conservative family tried to Byrne ousted from the LLS. The truth is that Ireland has settled into a moral morass, where there seems to be no-one to question the establishment. That's the way the hierarchy(and easychair) want it.

We are back in the days of 1950's Ireland and Tubridy is the parish priest we cannot question. RTE has relentlessly plugged his second stint with the BBC. Anyone who heard "What It Says In The Papers" should not have been surprised to hear the reviewer proudly announce Tubridy's success in the UK after which a cursory mention was given to his 2fm show's JNLRs. Is this what RTE has been reduced to? In my opinion, Tubridy is seen as RTE's prize goose but lately his eggs have become a little dirty looking.

ghiertal wrote: »
    Anytime anyone ever praises Tubridy you "rush on here" to tell that person that everyone else on the thread is somehow mentally imbalanced and that they could easily avoid Tubridy. Forgetting the fact that this Hugo Brady Brown is obviously a WUM(I will countenance no opinions against this) and will spam this thread like he has done so with others, posters are perfectly entitled to submit their opinions in whatever fashion they see fit. You previously attacked JonathanAnon because he listened to the BBC and now once again you try to stifle dissenters.

The trouble he is in relates to his poor showing on 2fm and not the LLS. His figures are an embarrassment to RTE, when one considers the publicity and previous audience he has been afforded. To the man, he has told us on numerous occasions that he has no problems dealing with negative press however now he is moaning like a drain.

March 2005:"No, because snipers tend to operate from tall towers, out of my view. But anyway, you develop a very thick skin very quickly in this business."

August 2005: "I know I haven't perfected the Radio 1 style yet. But my philosophy comes from my grandfather, a man called Todd Andrews, who wasn't a fan of responding to the critics. And I think they were wise words. But let me say you develop a thick skin in this country very quickly, and mine isn't getting any thinner."

November 2010: "I think my Tweeting days are numbered," he wrote. "Fun but not always worth the grief, despite thick skin, etc."

August 2011:The presenter also dismissed rumours that he had quit using social media because he was upset by hurtful comments posted about himself.

Everybody knows that we are stuck with Tubridy, guffawing over trite celebrity tittle-tattle. He avoids any matters that could engage the public. To see his face light up when Jedward is mentioned is indicative of his raison d'etre on the LLS. He aligns himself with Gay Byrne but is as far removed from him as you could imagine. His conservative family tried to Byrne ousted from the LLS. The truth is that Ireland has settled into a moral morass, where there seems to be no-one to question the establishment. That's the way the hierarchy(and easychair) want it.

We are back in the days of 1950's Ireland and Tubridy is the parish priest we cannot question. RTE has relentlessly plugged his second stint with the BBC. Anyone who heard "What It Says In The Papers" should not have been surprised to hear the reviewer proudly announce Tubridy's success in the UK after which a cursory mention was given to his 2fm show's JNLRs. Is this what RTE has been reduced to? In my opinion, Tubridy is seen as RTE's prize goose but lately his eggs have become a little dirty looking.

To be fair, you don't have to listen to him.

As for Hugo, he is clearly an old school gent. He "winds you up" because his old fashioned optioned grate, but that's you not him.

I don't even care about Turbidy, don't listen to him, live in England. I think, as I said already, he is a decent presenter but not the best. The vitriol this causes is a bit over the top.

To be fair, you don't have to listen to him.

we dont have to listen to him yeah your right.
    but we have to look at his face in the newspaper anytime we walk into a shop/garage or wherever sells them now.

• Advertisement

As for Hugo, he is clearly an old school gent. He "winds you up" because his old fashioned optioned grate, but that's you not him.

I don't even care about Turbidy, don't listen to him, live in England. I think, as I said already, he is a decent presenter but not the best. The vitriol this causes is a bit over the top.

As a matter of interest hugo brandy brown: you say nicknames are not right,so when you where a child did your mates say is hugo brandy brown coming out to play?did your teacher call you hugo brandy brown?
    When people phone you do they say hugo brandy brown?
    Hence for me i would say hi hugo, would you be offended if i called you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Yahew i totally agree. Tubridy is a very good presenter, especially if you don't listen or watch any of his output. In fact i would say he is a world leader in generating this response from an audience.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    As a matter of interest hugo brandy brown: you say nicknames are not right,so when you where a child did your mates say is hugo brandy brown coming out to play?did your teacher call you hugo brandy brown?
    When people phone you do they say hugo brandy brown?
    Hence for me i would say hi hugo, would you be offended if i called you that?

No more than, I imagine, Ryan Tubridy would object to someone who knows him addressing him as 'Ryan', would I have any difficulty in being addressed as 'Hugo'. In more formal situations, I find, people often say 'Doctor', or 'Sir', or "Mr Brady Brown', depending on circumstances and how much they know about me, but that is a small point.

As for the repetitive and tawdry humour of schoolteachers, that is a page of memory that I am reluctant to turn, but I feel that school ceased to have any influence on me or on my opinions once I reached the age of reason. (Some of them in my prep school asserted that my name was 'Aodh', but I quickly put a stop to that.) Consequently, then and now, I pay little or no heed to the outpourings of holders of 2.2 degrees or worse.

Hugo Brady Brown

I would warn readers of the new dangers of taking a good motor into the village unawares. There are Rampaí (in Stratford, pop. 230!), one near the site of the former Presbyterian church, and the other heading downhill towards Baltinglass street. It can shake the undercarriage; my 1950's Austin Cambridge can make it, because I know the road, but my sister's elderly Daimler came a cropper soon after the rampaí were put in. I would advise using a Landrover, or sticking to the main N81, and perhaps walking across the Slaney bridge and up to the village, a good 10 minutes walk up a steep hill, past the large site of the 18th century calico printing factory, but rewarding.

Hugo Brady Brown
    bbability wrote: »
    folks please get this thread back on track. Discuss Ryan Tubridy's private life elsewhere. This is a radio forum not the Jeremy Kyle Show Thread.

A GPS thread from the looks of it.

I'm afraid you are mistaken, and I've never said anyone here is mentally imbalanced. Or even mentally unbalanced.

You may well have decided to be "stuck" with Tubridy, but others of us choose not to listen or watch him. That you have decided to be compelled to be stuck watching and/or listening to him is your choice, and its open to you to decide not to watch or listen to him also, and be freed from being "stuck" with him.

I find that I, too, am learning here in the strange world of Boards. I have had to winkle out what the acronym WUM means, and then to find out what 'wind-up merchant' translates into in Standard English. I am happy to assure any remaining readers of this thread that I am emphatically not a WUM, and I trust that this disposes of the issue.

Hugo Brady Brown

I find that I, too, am learning here in the strange world of Boards. I have had to winkle out what the acronym WUM means, and then to find out what 'wind-up merchant' translates into in Standard English. I am happy to assure any remaining readers of this thread that I am emphatically not a WUM, and I trust that this disposes of the issue.

Hugo Brady Brown

Of course, for an individual to be wound up, he has to want or consent to be wound up. No one can wind you up (apart from , perhaps, your mother :D), if you refuse to be wound up.

It's like taking offence. My rule for offence is not to find it where it is not intended, and especially not to take it where it is intended. It's the same for being wound up.

My feeling is that whole windupness was neither intended nor implied, it was inferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Ryan is named 'Tubs'. This is impertinent,

Its his email address ffs

Anyway, well done WUMS, the thread will be locked soon enough due to your flaming.

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    ...the thread will be locked soon enough due to your flaming.

I doubt it, although it might be very frustrating for those who appear obsessed with Tubridy, telling us here how dreadful he is and appaling and piss poor and all, but who still apparently read and listen and watch his every word.

Advertisement