Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

I have read the latter stages of this thread, and I think that posters are taking too hard a line on Mr Tubridy, quite a fine broadcaster in his way.

People are forgetting that this is RTE 2FM, radio to be heard in hairdressers, garages and coffee shops, not serious broadcasting, such as we have on the senior service, or on RTE Lyric FM. And if listeners are lost either to the John Murray Show or to Pat, isn't that to the good, since it is an implicit Public Service obligation on us to educate listeners and viewers, and to encourage them towards higher things. (Now, if they really wanted to take a leap up, they could consider RTE Lyric FM in the morning, where Marty in the Morning could set them up for the day, but that is by the way, and, I suppose, off-topic!)

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

Ihere Marty in the Morning could set them up for the day,
    can't stand him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Poly wrote: »
    I think there are powerful forces at work here, Tubs blatant FF bias prior to the last election hasn't been forgotten. My bold prediction, someone from Newstalk will replace Tubs shortly, maybe a new LLS host by 2012 ?

Just thought I'd drag this up again, Newstalk must be a fairly unpleasant place to work right now following the Sam Smyth affair, with Dunphy leaving NT, could he replace Tubs? maybe even Yeats, Cooper or ideally Moncrieff?
    RTE have the pick of the bunch if they are willing to look beyond the canteen.

Plowman wrote: »

I think that using the word "recycled" just shows us that utility broadcasters are multipurpose, and that, in appropriate segments in the schedule, they can fill a gap, on either a permanent or a temporary basis. For example, see how some colleagues fit in seamlessly during the summer recess, when the named talent is resting.

A smaller point to observe is that we are all getting on, and so the distinctions between RTE and 2FM become blurred. And presenters remain younger in mind nowadays than was the case in the past. I wouldn't have thought of putting, say Joe Linnane on the Larry Gogan Hour all those years ago (if that had been my brief at the time), yet Larry is now older that Joe was at the end of his work here. Times change, but middle age now goes on forever, for both listeners and ourselves.

I wouldn't want unnecessarily to discuss individual staff members, or freelancers, but. Mary's interviewing style is ideal for the meaty topics that come before her in that slot. Her legal background has fitted her to ask the exact and most penetrating question, with economy and with razorsharp precision. Because she deals with highly complex issues, involving matters of nuance that it would be unfair to the listener to obscure, she clearly models her style on Pat's, by giving a contextualizing preamble before the lead question. This requires high concentration from her, of course, and it also makes demands on the listener, but the rewards are clearly there, for the listener who does a modest amount of work herself.

John Murray is now a staple of the station, and he wins plaudits from every age group. The concern is that this style of broadcasting is energy-intensive, and it remains to be seen for how long even a young man like John will be able to sustain it at the level of quality that we and the listeners demand. This is emphatically not even to hint at a criticism of John, but to marvel at how he is able to be so fresh, so endlessly creative, so amusing each and every morning.

Ronan Collins makes lunchtimes distinctive; there is simply nothing like him on Irish radio. When one has something unique, a USP as the accountants say, you don't throw it out with the bathwater. The response to his Sunday night at the Hall, when he did a Joe Dolan event, has been uniformly adulatory, and rightly so. Thought is being given to developing this within Radio Centre, but nothing is yet concrete.

And as for Talk to Joe: is there a single pensioner in the land who is not glued to the radio for the show? What more can I say? PSB comes in may different guises, and this is one of them.

BBC Radio 4 is a good middlebrow, middle-of-the-road station, with immense resources lavished on it, but without the wide-ranging demands faced here. Think The Archers, the Shipping Forecast, Gardeners' Question Time, Morning Service, Woman's Hour, Midweek with, You & Yours and one gets some insight into the level of intellectual substance on that service.

All points answered.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

If things continue as they are, then it wouldn't surprise me to see Tubbs switched back to his previous slot on Radio 1 at 9am in the weekday morning schedule. It also wouldn't surprise me at all if Ray D'Arcy takes over Tubridy's 2FM slot and the programme reverts to being a 3 hour show once again. Everybody has a price and I reckon RTE could more than match D'Arcy's current salary at Today FM. He'd be pretty much guaranteed to bring his current audience with him and would probably keep plenty of the 2FM Tubridy listeners as well. I don't think John Murray is any great shakes and RTE would probably find something to keep him happy.
    Ronan Collins makes lunchtimes distinctive; there is simply nothing like him on Irish radio. When one has something unique, a USP as the accountants say, you don't throw it out with the bathwater. The response to his Sunday night at the Hall, when he did a Joe Dolan event, has been uniformly adulatory, and rightly so. Thought is being given to developing this within Radio Centre, but nothing is yet concrete.

It wasn't that long ago that reports suggested that Ronan Collins wasn't all that happy that he was shifted from his afternoon/evening show to his midday show although it probably worked out better for him as John Creedon's show was axed to make way for the pointless Mooney Show. Ronan Collins obviously fulfills a certain role in RTE and I would be loathe to criticise him for the music that he plays because there is a certain market for middle-of-the-road music, but I always switch over to Newstalk's Lunchtime programme the minute Pat Kenny's show is over. I just think that if there are important stories breaking during the morning, most people would want to keep abreast of them, and switching to Newstalk would seem the obvious choice, rather than listening to birthday requests on Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Ray D'Arcy takes over Tubridy's 2FM slot........ I reckon RTE could more than match D'Arcy's current salary at Today FM.

Ray was one of Brendan o Connors guests tonight and he asked him if he would move back to RTE (even put ray in his chair:p) but ray said definitely not, he was more than happy where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Poly wrote: »
    Just thought I'd drag this up again, Newstalk must be a fairly unpleasant place to work right now following the Sam Smyth affair, with Dunphy leaving NT, could he replace Tubs? maybe even Yeats, Cooper or ideally Moncrieff?
    RTE have the pick of the bunch if they are willing to look beyond the canteen.

Does Sam Smyth not work for Today FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

dixiefly wrote: »

NT and todayfm are owned by the same company, i.e Denis o Brien

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dixiefly wrote: »
    Sacked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

jimmyw wrote: »
    Ray was one of Brendan o Connors guests tonight and he asked him if he would move back to RTE (even put ray in his chair:p) but ray said definitely not, he was more than happy where he is.

He might say "definitely not" at this moment in time, but I bet if RTE put a decent offer to him, he'd be inclined to change his mind. People in the meeja are a very fickle bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

The implicit PSB remit of leading the listener (and viewer) towards higher things is in fact made explicit in some of the foundational sources. I would commend John Reith's occasional writings, and some aired interviews with him after he had laid down his BBC responsibilities, for an insight into these. He, in fact, believed that, with time and appropriate quasi-parental assistance from the broadcaster, every listener could be led to a level of cultural and intellectual attainment that would fit them, for example, to be elders of the Church of Scotland. We no longer articulate these views in precisely these terms, but, I think, this point still has considerable practical and rhetorical force. (Some time spent in the National Archives with the Department of P&T files, notably the Departmental Secretary files opened by Leon O Broin, will show that in this as in so much else, Teilifis and, by implication, Raidio Eireann, were intended to follow in the same cultural and philosophical path.)

My apologies if this post is at a slight angle to the thrust of this thread, but I think it may be illuminating nonetheless.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tubirdy has about as much life in him as a corpse when he is presenting the Late Late show. Hopefully he will head over to Limeyland soon. I think the late Gerry Ryan would have been a fantastic host for the Late Late. Whether you loved him or loathed him he kept his audience entertained.

This comment teeters on the brink of offensiveness, through being personally-focussed and, frankly, crude.

The Late Show is the no more than the modern equivalent of Barnum & Bailey, not some precious artefact to be treated with reverence. Ryan is a sensible man to treat it lightly, and not to be too po-faced about its heritage. It merits and gets an appropriate proportion of his ability and energy; to do anything more would be to waste his sweetness on the desert air. Beliefs that the Late Show was, as it were, the Third House of the Oireachtas, or that it was deserving of the respect accorded to the High Court, have fallen into desuetude. A man must husband his resources, and for Ryan the centre of his professional gravity is clearly his radio work and his worthy work as an author and historian. TV, lovely as it is, will always be a flashy but intrinsically meretricious medium, in comparison to the others.

Hugo Brady Brown

Tubirdy has about as much life in him as a corpse when he is presenting the Late Late show. Hopefully he will head over to Limeyland soon. I think the late Gerry Ryan would have been a fantastic host for the Late Late. Whether you loved him or loathed him he kept his audience entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

tubridy opens his heart (yeah right) playing the sympathy game wont work

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/ryan-tubridy-im-as-frail-as-everyone-else-and-do-think-am-i-so-bad-2921084.html

Sunday October 30 2011
    IN his most honest interview to date, Ryan Tubridy has spoken out about the torrent of criticism he is facing.

The Late Late Show host opened up about his self-doubts, the affect the naysayers have had on his confidence and how he is receiving constant support from top radio DJ Chris Evans. He also spoke of how his family is dealing with his public lashing, saying: "My mam says she feels like a boxer's mother every time she opens the papers. It's like seeing her son go into the ring."

The 37-year-old spoke candidly about the wave of derision since the latest JNLR figures showed he had lost a third of his listeners since taking over from his close friend and late colleague Gerry Ryan.

"I don't enjoy it and it's not pretty. It hasn't gotten to me yet but if it goes on and on? Well then, that's another day," he said.

"Of course I have self- doubts when there is a lot of noise and grunting about my performance.

"And of course you think on occasion 'am I that bad?' Yes, I have those moments. Do I have self-confidence problems? Yes I do. It's a very human trait and I am as frail as everyone else."

But he added: "My No 1 loathsome thing is self-pity. And people don't have great patience for people like me who have a good life and a good job and so on. They think the hell with that; it's just a chat show. And they're right. When it's going well you enjoy it. But you have to take the hits too."

The RTE star also spoke candidly about his family's take on the recent backlash. Does his mum ever show her upset? "I presume she gets upset about it but never in front of me because she's my mam and she doesn't want to upset me."

Asked who he has turned to for advice, he said: "My brothers and my sisters and my family. We all sit down and have three pints of Guinness and thrash it out. We all get half-an-hour each to talk about our problems and then we get back to politics."

But he also revealed Chris Evans has been incredibly supportive over the last few months.

"He has been sending me nice texts and has been giving me encouragement and lifting my spirits. I've had plenty of low moments throughout my life but once you put your suit on and that red light comes on any sense of having any difficulties has to disappear and you have to get your game face on.

"Between the radio figures in Ireland and in the UK it was like getting a slap in the face followed by a big hug. It was a nice cushion for the big blows in a difficult news week."

He has been signed to present a BBC slot again from Tuesday December 27 to Friday December 30. It is also seen as the strongest indication yet the BBC will offer him a full-time role.

"I'll be filling in for Ken Bruce who has over seven million listeners -- so it's a different ballgame over there."

Speaking about the people who have publicly supported him in the week that was, and other celebrities who have taken a shot at him, he said:

"Someone turned around to me yesterday and said did you see Vincent Browne the other night? He defended you on his show. And I was completely taken aback that a journalist was nice about me in public," he laughed. "It's really unusual these days and it goes against the grain."

But commenting on presenter Ray D'Arcy -- who agreed with an interviewer last week that The Late Late Show "needs a kick up the arse" -- he said: "I'm not going to get into a slagging match. Ray D'Arcy also said very nice things about me recently and unless you are presenting the Late Late you don't really know what it's like. It's a strange beast.

"I texted Ray yesterday to say well done on his figures and to thank him for the other nice comments he said about me too. But I'm not going to get into a slagging match. I wasn't brought up like that."

Meanwhile, Today FM chief Willie O'Reilly has thrown cold water on speculation that Ray D'Arcy is to jump ship to RTE.

And though he himself is to rejoin RTE in January, O'Reilly confirmed that D'Arcy is not currently in talks with Montrose.

"My candid prediction is that Ray will continue where he is.

"He'd be mad not to stay, when it's here that he built up his loyal following. He has become the top presenter of his generation for the under-45s and he has such a good team around him.

"When I left RTE everyone said Gerry Ryan would follow -- but it never happened. Ray didn't know I was going to resign and I think when he weighs everything up and things settle down in a week or two he'll know the right thing to do is to stay on. That's not to say he's not wallowing in the enjoyment of the speculation."

Meanwhile 2fm, in association with the St Vincent de Paul, is running a toy appeal to ensure no child is left without a toy this Christmas. You can buy a toy for between €2 and €100 and drop it into any local Supervalu store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

and amanda brunker steps in to save him one tit supporting another tbh.

436988268.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1319975541&Signature=pzYENBsexR4Vdmsvj5ScktjdAwI%3D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

jimmynokia wrote: »
    We all sit down and have three pints of Guinness and thrash it out.

What a man of the people........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This comment teeters on the brink of offensiveness, through being personally-focussed and, frankly, crude.

The Late Show is the no more than the modern equivalent of Barnum & Bailey, not some precious artefact to be treated with reverence. Ryan is a sensible man to treat it lightly, and not to be too po-faced about its heritage. It merits and gets an appropriate proportion of his ability and energy; to do anything more would be to waste his sweetness on the desert air. Beliefs that the Late Show was, as it were, the Third House of the Oireachtas, or that it was deserving of the respect accorded to the High Court, have fallen into desuetude. A man must husband his resources, and for Ryan the centre of his professional gravity is clearly his radio work and his worthy work as an author and historian. TV, lovely as it is, will always be a flashy but intrinsically meretricious medium, in comparison to the others.

Hugo Brady Brown

I take it you were directing that comment at me. Well fortunately for me im not bothered what you think of me.

I take it you were directing that comment at me. Well fortunately for me im not bothered what you think of me.

Don't worry about it Galwayguy: I don't think about you at all!

Hugo Brady Brown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The Late Show ..The Late Show ...

Would it kill you to the call the programme by it's correct title?

Skid wrote: »
    Would it kill you to the call the programme by it's correct title?

Of course, The Late Late Show, if that makes people calmer. (We never called it that ourselves on a day-to-day basis, mind you.)

Hugo Brady Brown

Of course, The Late Late Show, if that makes people calmer. (We never called it that ourselves on a day-to-day basis, mind you.)

Who's WE?

Cordially
    Mikom Brady Brown

mikom wrote: »
    Who's WE?

Cordially
    Mikom Brady Brown

Ah, back in the day ...

Hugo Brady Brown

:)

Ah, back in the day ...

Hugo Brady Brown

:)

You said "day-to-day basis".
    Back in the day in broadcasting circles?

Quizzically
    Mikom Brady Brown

Quizzically
    Mikom Brady Brown

Are there any others? Except, I suppose, for crop circles.

Hugo Brady Brown

Are there any others? Except, I suppose, for crop circles.

Hugo Brady Brown

Golden circless.
    Like the ones in RTE.

Realistically,
    Mikom Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Quizzically
    Mikom Brady Brown

Probably, given the polite way Mr. Brady expresses himself, and his obvious discomfort with personalised attacks on the internet, he means "back in the day" as "of a certain generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Hugo, are you Tubridy's dad or Gay Byrne? Seriously, "...his worthy work as an author and historian.." you gotta be taking the piss. Come on, who are you really? Jimmy Nokia, Jonathon Anon...have you turned troll? Ghiertal, it's you isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Hugo, are you Tubridy's dad or Gay Byrne? Seriously, "...his worthy work as an author and historian.." you gotta be taking the piss. Come on, who are you really? Jimmy Nokia, Jonathon Anon...have you turned troll? Ghiertal, it's you isn't it?

How do you know these people with a mere 78 posts? Anyway Hugo is signing his own name. Google the name, he writes to newspapers often. He is real.

I like that. Won't do it myself as I like anonymity, but it probably promotes civility(unlike your post here ,which is a personalised attack on the poster not the subject).

On topic:

It is interesting that this thread is now pro-Gerry Ryan. The internet mob hated Ryan when he was alive. Tubs is a good radio host. He is not the best radio host, but he is far from he worst. He is also good on the Late Late. He is not as good as Gay Byrne. He is better than Kenny.

its best for him if he leaves for the UK and best for RTE ( ignoring the financial issues) if they abandon the Late Late. At least for a while. Anybody who gets it will never be good enough, and they will merely incur the hatred of the internet mob. ( A ridiculous fierce hatred given what is at stake) . Some can deal with it, Tubs seems to be letting it get him down. Hence, no more twitter.

In the UK he can have a radio show which speaks to 6M people and still be a relative unknown, without these kind of burdens. His fans will listen. Detractors won't. He will therefore be well liked ( as he was on the stint this summer). He won't have the burden of hosting a seminal TV show which shaped the nation.

Were I him, I would do it.

Advertisement