Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Playstation 3 has been "jailbroken" *MOD NOTE POST 220*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gizmo wrote: »
    "Homebrew" yea, that's what's causing all the excitement. :rolleyes:

Personally I hope Sony sue the living **** out of all of them.

This is what annoys me too. Fair enough, there may be people out there who really want homebrew, but they're a small if not tiny minority. This hack is basically for pirating games. I also fail to see many 'benefits' outside of piracy. The space many games are going to take up surely renders it more hassle than it's worth in some cases! For people who really want to back-up, perhaps it will be beneficial, but I don't necessarily get the obsession with back-ups myself. Back-ups for many is alas double speak for piracy too (not everyone of course) :(

Oh well, if people want to play 'homebrew' they will. It's a shame IMO, especially since 'til now the PS3 was pleasantly immune to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Just means Sony will rush another update and remove another feature :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,301 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is Infamous downloadable from the PSN store like the yotube comments said?

If so, bad example.

Still wouldn't rule out the idea there was another PS3 off camera but whatever.

I would adore this for PES.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

eddhorse wrote: »
    Just means Sony will rush another update and remove another feature :rolleyes:

Like what? Remove the ability to use your USB drives? Highly doubt that.

And i'll say it again, this thing only works with Dev PS3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

noodler wrote: »
    Is Infamous downloadable from the PSN store like the yotube comments said?

Yeah I think it is. They should have picked a different game but when they go to load it up it has a disc icon beside the name indicating it is running from the disc, which is god of war, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

it depends on how this works, if the mod is needed all the time to play and not just the start then disabling/limiting the usb ports during gameplay could work, having the authentication required more often would also work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Otacon wrote: »
    Didn't Apple lose a case regarding the jailbreak software available for their handsets? Could that set a precedent?
    I think the difference here is that it involves hardware being sold, and hardware that is used to pirate software can be banned (and has been banned, e.g. DSTT/R4 cards). This hack seems to work like the pandora battery solution for PSP, in that it uses a hardware/software combo that takes advantage of the debug process for the console use by Sony engineers. Pandora batteries haven't been banned though to my knowledge.

As for whether this hack only works on debug units, that may not be true. I've read that the 'backup' software will run on any debug unit, but that the USB stick is required to get the software to run on a retail unit. Apparently it has always been possible to install and run games from a debug PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Otacon wrote: »
    Didn't Apple lose a case regarding the jailbreak software available for their handsets? Could that set a precedent?

The biggest thing to happen in this area was the altering of the DMCA by the Library of Congress in the US. They added...
    Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset.
    So it doesn't really apply in this case.
    It has been confirmed to work on retail kits by effectively giving them the ability to run unsigned code just like the debug kits.

The thing is there's no proof of this working on a standard SKU, only on a Debug unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Great SONY will remove the Blue Ray reader on next firmware :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

dev ps3s run unsigned code from the hd anyway, you dont need a hack to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

weeeell lookey ere.. hehe ^^ thus far i've paid around 4k for the privilege of playing about 45 games over the past 3yr, most that didn't nearly merit their €50+ asking price. whilst on my 2nd PS3, the previous one's blu-ray having failed again mere months after repair.. may be time for some payback?! ;) lol but after thee summer of sparsity you'd think this had already hit developers in the pocket.

but ultimately.. maybe.. this will usher in the PS4 sooner? tired of inferior ports.. sigh. maybe they'll they just nullify it w/ a firmware update? anyways, i'll monitor THIS one alright.. eagerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Star Bingo wrote: »
    weeeell lookey ere.. hehe ^^ thus far i've paid around 4k for the privilege of playing about 45 games over the past 3yr, most that didn't nearly merit their €50+ asking price. whilst on my 2nd PS3, the previous one's blu-ray having failed again mere months after repair.. may be time for some payback?! ;) lol but after thee summer of sparsity you'd think this had already hit developers in the pocket.

but ultimately.. maybe.. this will usher in the PS4 sooner? tired of inferior ports.. sigh. maybe they'll they just nullify it w/ a firmware update? anyways, i'll monitor THIS one alright.. eagerly.

*Sigh*:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

My modded xbox was worth its weight in gold, and rarely played a pirated game, media centre etc was were it was at.

If this is true the HD playback possibilities of the PS3 as a real full blown media centre would be great.

Hmm, since the the devkits moved to the same form factor as the retail/debug units it's quite hard to tell them apart really. Pity really as if it was the older devkit you'd know exactly what these workarounds were running on. ;)

Only time will tell whether it turns out to be real anyway, needless to say I'm sure Sony are getting ready to unleash their lawyers should it turn out to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

gizmo wrote: »
    Hmm, since the the devkits moved to the same form factor as the retail/debug units it's quite hard to tell them apart really. Pity really as if it was the older devkit you'd know exactly what these workarounds were running on. ;)

Only time will tell whether it turns out to be real anyway, needless to say I'm sure Sony are getting ready to unleash their lawyers should it turn out to be true.
    Ooooh their lawyers? I think I can feel the internet quaking. Cos they were so effective in stamping out PSP exploits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ok here's a technical question... how can it have a game image on the HDD if it only works on FAT32 systems and all PS3 games are larger then 4GB. That is impossible since FAT32 does not support file sizes larger then 4GB, and before anyone mentions the PS3 own HDD file systems that's not mention at all and wouldn't help it to run games off external drives that the ps3 requires FAT32 even for a Dev Kit. The whole thing seems fake and when they were called out when people heard the disc being changed they made a new video with the console in view but that does not prove anything as they could have just used a additional ps3 to fake this.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Ooooh their lawyers? I think I can feel the internet quaking. Cos they were so effective in stamping out PSP exploits.

the internet does not have to, the guys behind this are Australian or at least situated there and it won't be hard for Sony to deal with them as this apparently is meant to use illegally obtained Sony hardware/software.

Not to mention the fact the last time Sony got in a hissy fit over something it resulted in the closure of Lik-Sang...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    Ok here's a technical question... how can it have a game image on the HDD if it only works on FAT32 systems and all PS3 games are larger then 4GB. That is impossible since FAT32 does not support file sizes larger then 4GB, and before anyone mentions the PS3 own HDD file systems that's not mention at all and wouldn't help it to run games off external drives that the ps3 requires FAT32 even for a Dev Kit. The whole thing seems fake and when they were called out when people heard the disc being changed they made a new video with the console in view but that does not prove anything as they could have just used a additional ps3 to fake this.

Most PS3 games aren't over 4GG though. A lot of the data is padding to help speed up access times on the disc and can be removed easily.

The tool doesn't seem to be creating an iso image of the disc, it's actually dumping the data from it directly to the drive. As Retr0gamer also pointed out, not only are there many files which would break the FAT32 limit but the size of many PS3 games don't come close to needing the capacity of the BR disc once you remove the padding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

Id say the site crashed with the amount of people that went onto it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Most PS3 games aren't over 4GG though. A lot of the data is padding to help speed up access times on the disc and can be removed easily.

Just out of curiosity, and entirely off topic, but after a hefty install of Split/Second the other day I'm wondering why exactly so many games need installation on PS3, when the Xbox does just fine with far more limited storage space? If the extra gigs are being used to speed up the process, why do so many games require such massive installs anyway? Anyone aware of the ins and outs of this technical oddity? Again, off topic, but will save me starting another thread on the subject :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just out of curiosity, and entirely off topic, but after a hefty install of Split/Second the other day I'm wondering why exactly so many games need installation on PS3, when the Xbox does just fine with far more limited storage space? If the extra gigs are being used to speed up the process, why do so many games require such massive installs anyway? Anyone aware of the ins and outs of this technical oddity? Again, off topic, but will save me starting another thread on the subject :)

afaik this is because bluray read/write speeds are far slower than dvd due to it being a much newer format

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep it's down to the disc read speed of the Blu-Ray drive being much slower than the DVD drive of the 360. Can cause problems on games such as open world games where the disc is being constantly accessed for texture data. Even on the 360 there's problems, plenty of time I've walked into a new area in Gears of War and been greeted with N64 placeholder textures until the high quality ones and shaders loaded in.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Even on the 360 there's problems, plenty of time I've walked into a new area in Gears of War and been greeted with N64 placeholder textures until the high quality ones and shaders loaded in.
    Unreal Engine 3 takes a rather odd approach to streaming alright, preferring to load the level quickly with minimal textures rather than a prolonged load with full textures. At the end of the day it doesn't make that much of a difference but you do wonder who made that call all the same.

The texture pop up thing seems a pretty big problem in a lot of games this gen. Still on Split/Second (which is mostly what I've been playing this week) I played through an entire level the other day in which textures failed to load properly :eek: Bioshock 2 is another one that stands out as having had particularly poor streaming textures, those strange square brown textures lingering before the real Rapture decided to make an appearance. It's a weird problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Meh, way too many ps3's in the room in the first video for me to believe the tv is definitely plugged into the ps3.

For all we know they could be showing you the one its "operating off", and just swapping discs in a different ps3 off camera.

The texture pop up thing seems a pretty big problem in a lot of games this gen. Still on Split/Second (which is mostly what I've been playing this week) I played through an entire level the other day in which textures failed to load properly :eek: Bioshock 2 is another one that stands out as having had particularly poor streaming textures, those strange square brown textures lingering before the real Rapture decided to make an appearance. It's a weird problem.
    As I said, the streaming oddity is a UE3 issue so you'll see it in the vast majority of titles built with it, Bioshock 2 included. As for Split/Second, well that's just a bug. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11035928

Sony is preping 3.42 firmware to block this.

• Advertisement

Sony is preping 3.42 firmware to block this.

Source?

Advertisement