Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting College 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Hotaru wrote: »
    I'll be doing Science - Biology, Chemistry & Maths :)

I should be starting this year in Science too with the same choices, wooh!
    And Munchkinkid, I'm in the same boghole as you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The Walsho wrote: »
    I read this post as: "Oh, good taste in music, yeah I like the same sort of music, we have loads in common, I'm a really nice guy, no it's alright, I'll be gentle, just pop that in your mouth there, it won't bite."

Getting a foot in the door with the freshers, you sicko.

Lol. Nah, it's just that I was listening to that album the first time I walked through Front Gate and it was nice to see that the tradition lives on :).

(Also I graduated from TCD a while ago now and I have emigrated, so I don't think I'll be hitting on any of this year's freshers. Maybe in Doyles at Christmas, if they're lucky.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Janette1

Hoping for Human Health and Disease *Fingers crossed it doesn't jump upwards points wise* failing that, its science for me :)
    :rolleyes: Gotta wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Richieee

MarielleJ wrote: »
    I'll be starting BESS this fall and also don't know anyone since I'm from California but I'm beyond excited to start!!
    I'll also be starting BESS. Assuming the points don't rocket up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭myfatherrsson

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Freshers Week starts on the 20th of September. You probably won't need to be in all week, but you'll need to go to registration anyway. I'd recommend also turning up for your course meeting and the general orientation meeting. :) Once you accept your offer, you'll be sent out an orientation pack which will give you the times for those things I mentioned, as well as the sports tour and library tour, both of which are optional.

Of course there'll be stuff going on all week. There'll be stands for various clubs/societies in Front Square, there'll be nights out.. There's loads to do! But you'll probably get a load of mail from the various societies anyway so you'll find all that out in due course. :)

Oh, and the first week of lectures starts the following week (i.e. from the 27th!).

Gettin well in there with the freshers already Aoibh! Jesus theres no stoppin ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

(Also I graduated from TCD a while ago now and I have emigrated, so I don't think I'll be hitting on any of this year's freshers. Maybe in Doyles at Christmas, if they're lucky.)

Where you go ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Gettin well in there with the freshers already Aoibh! Jesus theres no stoppin ya!

You know me, I'm just sickeningly (that's a difficult word to say >_<) helpful. :pac: You saw how organised I was last year like, and I've had a whole year in the college since. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Dr D

Suppose I should make an appearance here. With luck I'll be starting Comp Sci, barring a drastic leap in the points. Always wanted to go to Trinity so it should be good craic. Looking forward to having a few drinks with all of you during freshers week.

Please be gentle, it's my first time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

Within a few days of getting your offer you will receive your orientation pack which has all the dates and times for orientation and registration meetings.

Also for some courses has important forms that need to be completed and sent back.

It can be a bit scary if you don't know anyone but go to all the meetings, meet your tutor, join a few societies and soon you will get to know a few people and you will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

Hopefully will be here for science as long as points dont explode :P - maths , Physics and was originally going to do biology but not so sure now :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

Aoiferz wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll get Science!- Maths, Physics and haven't decided yet :D

Same with me.

How difficicult is chemistry? I've never done it before and was thinking it may be better to do then biology (which I find find boring for the most part)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Hatred wrote: »
    Same with me.

How difficicult is chemistry? I've never done it before and was thinking it may be better to do then biology (which I find find boring for the most part)

Having never done it before it can be difficult but it's possible to get a great result if you put some level of work it. In general science in challenging but rewarding. There's also a degree of flexibility with the modules so if you don't like something you can swap out with little difficulty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

i got 535 in my leaving on Wednesday so am hoping to do Business and French, do you say I'll get it?? If not that then BESS...think I could get that one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

kmhenry wrote: »
    i got 535 in my leaving on Wednesday so am hoping to do Business and French, do you say I'll get it?? If not that then BESS...think I could get that one??

Courses with large numbers like BESS or science rarely fluctuate too much in points. You should be safe enough:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Brainy wrote: »
    Within a few days of getting your offer you will receive your orientation pack which has all the dates and times for orientation and registration meetings.
    Just so that people aren't sitting by their letterboxes from Tuesday morning onwards: note that no orientation packs are sent out until after the closing date for accepting/rejecting your Round One offer (5.15pm on Monday 30 August).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Dr D

What do you guys reckon Comp Sci will go up by? I've got a good 45 point margin so I doubt it'll be that much what with the higher maths requirement and all. Just a little bit anxious I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Congrats to all the people doing BESS. It is objectively the best course one could do in Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Dr D wrote: »
    What do you guys reckon Comp Sci will go up by? I've got a good 45 point margin so I doubt it'll be that much what with the higher maths requirement and all. Just a little bit anxious I guess.

It went down by 5 points last year... besides that it has been pretty much the same for the last few years.

Just so that people aren't sitting by their letterboxes from Tuesday morning onwards: note that no orientation packs are sent out until after the closing date for accepting/rejecting your Round One offer (5.15pm on Monday 30 August).

You are INCORRECT, the orientation packs are sent out with offers....so students will receive them within days of getting their offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MarielleJ

Richieee wrote: »
    I'll also be starting BESS. Assuming the points don't rocket up!

Unfortunately I am still completely confused by the Irish grading system so I'll just say good luck and hopefully I'll see you there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

You are INCORRECT, the orientation packs are sent out with offers....so students will receive them within days of getting their offers.
    I got my orientation pack about a week after I accepted my offer last year, so it was after the closing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

I've worked in the Admissions Office before, making up orientation packs. Applicants can flip between accepting and rejecting offers as often as they like until the deadline passes, so there is no way to know for sure how many packs for each subject will be needed until after the deadline and who to send them to. Some other colleges (such as UCD) send out packs together with the offers, but term in Trinity doesn't start until the end of September so there isn't the same pressure for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Hoping to start BESS too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Business and Spanish... :)

Pretty nervous though , this course only has 10 people in it but i presume that is just for a base class or whatever? Will we be mixed in with people doing spanish as an arts and business etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

PARARORY wrote: »
    Business and Spanish... :)

Pretty nervous though , this course only has 10 people in it but i presume that is just for a base class or whatever? Will we be mixed in with people doing spanish as an arts and business etc?

i'm hoping for business and french which only has about 15 people. I was talking to someone and as far as i know we still mix with other groups eg. Business students from BESS, BESS students taking business french and so on...i presume its the same for Spanish!!

I've worked in the Admissions Office before, making up orientation packs. Applicants can flip between accepting and rejecting offers as often as they like until the deadline passes, so there is no way to know for sure how many packs for each subject will be needed until after the deadline and who to send them to. Some other colleges (such as UCD) send out packs together with the offers, but term in Trinity doesn't start until the end of September so there isn't the same pressure for time.

TCD changed the process last year and sent the packs out with offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CiaranDonegal

Does anyone have any idea about how many points the HEAR programme will give off for BESS? I have 440 points?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kreuzuerk

ah this wait is frustrating. i'm an a-level student so although i've apparently got 560 points that doesn't really translate into anything as i'm not competing against irish students but rather other a-levelers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CiaranDonegal

kreuzuerk wrote: »
    ah this wait is frustrating. i'm an a-level student so although i've apparently got 560 points that doesn't really translate into anything as i'm not competing against irish students but rather other a-levelers

Are you planning on doing BESS in Trinityy?! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Will know this time tomorrow if I'll be going to trinners...pleaseeeeeeeeeee:rolleyes:

Advertisement