Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting College 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Blerdiii wrote: »
    Wayhay see you guys in september for TR071 :D:D:D:D
    theowen wrote: »
    Medicine :D

Reallly want to get started now.
    cweeva wrote: »
    Medicine... yayyyyyyy:D

Congrats! Few med types around here, feel free to shoot a PM if you ever have any questions about the course.

Also, I'll be peer mentoring incoming med students this year so I might be meeting some of ye soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Hi guys,

Just found out I'm headed to TCD (for PPES) this September, which is great news - was sure I wouldn't get in. I'm from England, for my sins - another rah for Trinity, I'm afraid. :D

Panicking slightly about accommodation - the online app system is down at the moment, and I really want to be in Trinity Halls.

anyway, congratulations and commiserations as appropriate!
    r

I'm doing PPES too. Already getting tired of explaining the acronym.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

IRcolm wrote: »
    I'm doing PPES too. Already getting tired of explaining the acronym.

Got a bit of a predicament on my hands also - "history and political science" or the more snappy, but incorrect "history and politics".
    This'll haunt me for the next 4 years. Stress of me life!

Ah, that's not so bad. That was nearly what I decided to do, I know I'll still look back and want to do History.

But in your scenario you just say History and Politics. I have to first say the acronym, then wait for them to not understand and then say four things all sounding more pretentious than the next:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rorschachman

Hi IRcolm - glad to hear there's another PPESist/PPESer/whatever out there.

Hi to zam too - history and politics was pretty high on my CAO list - sounds like a cool course. My main (and rubbish) reason for not choosing it was that my knowledge of Irish politics and history (did about four months on the troubles at school, and that's it!) are abysmal, but I know a bit about economics and philosophy, so hopefully that'll dilute my uselessness.

The name thing is a major downside of PPES - you can't even make a word out of it. I'm just saying "social sciences" to most people. Ah, well...

Where are you guys from?

• Advertisement

Hi IRcolm - glad to hear there's another PPESist/PPESer/whatever out there.

Hi to zam too - history and politics was pretty high on my CAO list - sounds like a cool course. My main (and rubbish) reason for not choosing it was that my knowledge of Irish politics and history (did about four months on the troubles at school, and that's it!) are abysmal, but I know a bit about economics and philosophy, so hopefully that'll dilute my uselessness.

The name thing is a major downside of PPES - you can't even make a word out of it. I'm just saying "social sciences" to most people. Ah, well...

Where are you guys from?

Same here.

I am from the fair County of Meath. Just close enough to not need accommodation and just far enough to have an annoying commute. I'm going to need to befriend some lodgers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Brunhein

I'll be in TR071 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wild_swan

Human Health & Disease - took the year out from this course last year so I'm technically 'starting' :D Think I seen a few fellow HHAD'ers floating around here - so Hi!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Anyone else for Law? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

zam wrote: »
    Got a bit of a predicament on my hands also - "history and political science" or the more snappy, but incorrect "history and politics".
    This'll haunt me for the next 4 years. Stress of me life!
    PPES has history in it? What does the acronym stand for, then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rorschachman

IRcolm - bummer about the commute. How long'll it take? It seems like living at home during uni is much more common in Éire than in England - I guess it makes more sense in a smaller country. Still, at least you won't have to pay rent!

PurpleFistMixer - nah, PPES is Politics Philosophy Economics and Sociology - no history. zam's doing history and politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 casadenikki

Brunhein wrote: »
    I'm starting this fall! Science

looks like I'll be seeing ya in class :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Mr. Plow

Yep me! Hi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Hannah Emilie

Hotaru wrote: »
    I'll be doing Science - Biology, Chemistry & Maths :)

Not my first time in college (dropped out after 2 years in UCD) but first time in Trinners so WOO! :)

thats exactly what i wana do! u don't have to tell them that yet do you???

Also do u know if you can do that whithout having done chemistry??? plz say yes! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

thats exactly what i wana do! u don't have to tell them that yet do you???

Also do u know if you can do that whithout having done chemistry??? plz say yes! :)

Nah, you don't choose those till you register :)

And yup, you can do any science without previous experience \o/

I'll be seeing you in class so WOO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Hannah Emilie

Hotaru wrote: »
    Nah, you don't choose those till you register :)

And yup, you can do any science without previous experience \o/

I'll be seeing you in class so WOO!

wahey!! and thanks by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

Anyone else doing TR008? Religions and Theology?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AliceXD

Woo! TR071 here I come baby! :cool:

I'm delighted! And I see a good few people are doing it too, can't wait to meet you all :D

Physics, Maths, Bio101 and Geology :P

It's gonna be AWESOME!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

AliceXD wrote: »

I'm delighted! And I see a good few people are doing it too, can't wait to meet you all :D

It's gonna be AWESOME!

That is EXACTLY what I plan to do!

Can't wait now :D:D:D

See you there! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aaronsbz

hey im doing law, well law and business.

any1 else doing law and business cant wait to start the course :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

It's gonna be AWESOME!
    Aoiferz wrote: »
    That is EXACTLY what I plan to do!

Can't wait now :D:D:D

Hate to burst your bubble guys but you'll need both biology modules to do any of the options in the later years. Granted if you're doing physics it's grand but I might suggest CH1101/chemistry 101 instead as physical chemistry will tie into what you'd be doing in physics better. Biology is easier to pass with LC info though in my opinion.

IRcolm - bummer about the commute. How long'll it take? It seems like living at home during uni is much more common in Éire than in England - I guess it makes more sense in a smaller country.

Forty minutes, an hour. Though the morning buses go right to the main gate of the college. Which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Anyone joining me in Occupational Therapy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

IRcolm wrote: »
    Forty minutes, an hour. Though the morning buses go right to the main gate of the college. Which is nice.

If its any consolation at all I'm facing a 2 hour commute (same as last year). At least it keeps us disciplined!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Dr D

Hope so. Nerd or n00b? :p

A little from column A and a little from column B. :P Nah, looking forward to it a lot, hopefully it's a good group.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Craguls wrote: »
    Hate to burst your bubble guys but you'll need both biology modules to do any of the options in the later years. Granted if you're doing physics it's grand but I might suggest CH1101/chemistry 101 instead as physical chemistry will tie into what you'd be doing in physics better. Biology is easier to pass with LC info though in my opinion.

I was planning to do Physics actually. I haven't made my mind up totally yet, I can always be swayed. I just hated Chemistry so much in school I wanted to stay away from it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Congrats to everyone! :)
    Raic wrote: »
    I'll be doing Theoretical Physics. Looking forward to it, should be great ;)

There's a fair few of us TP types lurking around this forum, so welcome! :D If you've any questions, feel free to PM me. 'tis a pretty good course, we're always a small class group so it's easy to get to know people. I really hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far. :)

Craguls wrote: »

I'm choosing the 1st pattern: Maths & Physics .. then I chose Biology 101 for 1st semester.. and Geology for the 2nd... What you think would happen if I stuck with these modules? I'm quite the noob and I'd appreciate your advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I'm choosing the 1st pattern: Maths & Physics .. then I chose Biology 101 for 1st semester.. and Geology for the 2nd... What you think would happen if I stuck with these modules? I'm quite the noob and I'd appreciate your advice :)

Maths and physics together will let you do any of the physics streams in 3rd and 4th year.

Taking both chemistry modules opens up chemistry

Taking up both biology modules opens up the David Attenbourough whole organism biology modules like Zoology, Botany etc

Doing either geography or geology will open up each option to you in 3rd and 4th year.

If you're looking to do something to fill space with in the first semester try chemistry 1 since you're doing physics. It's physical chemistry so it'll compliment the physics quite well.

You should be able to move around easily enough though in the first few weeks should you feel you don't like something.

Advertisement