Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options
1103104105106107109»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

moonboy52 wrote: »
    AFAIK, you have to use a card linked to your account.
    GarIT wrote: »
    Unfortunately no.
    Thanks, whats reasoning behind it? A lot of ready to go users wont have a CC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Thanks, whats reasoning behind it? A lot of ready to go users wont have a CC

There is no reason why not. Phone companies and app developers have no relation to eachother at all.

What your saying is the same as asking why can't I pay for my shopping with Japanese money. Phone credit has no monotary value and developers have no interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Back when the first camera phones came out, you could buy Java games with your phone credit. This was mainly due to fact that the phone operator was running the store. Now app stores are run by the OS makers instead. As it is, the OS maker takes a cut of each app sale. If you were to add the network provider in to the mix, they'd want a cut too, making the apps more expensive, or giving the developers less.

I imagine it'd be possible to set it, but there'd be a lot of work required getting all the parties talking to each other. Microsoft, Google, and Apple would have to set up a financial link with Vodafone, O2, Meteor, 3, Tesco, etc., and that's just here, imagine adding all the foreign networks into the mix too, and the developers aren't even part of it too.

If you want to buy apps and you don't have a credit or debit card, there's "disposable" ones you can get, such as 3v and Wirecard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I thought the Nokia OVI Store used to let you use credit. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

BostonB wrote: »
    I thought the Nokia OVI Store used to let you use credit. Maybe I'm wrong.

It may have, actually.

Some phone operators across the world have deals in place with Apple, Android etc to use "Carrier billing", whereby the purchase of an app / music etc is added to your regular phone bill.

Admittedly though I've never seen it used here with an Irish operator, and I'm not sure if it ever applies to credit (prebought).

Most Irish people, regardless of age, now have a Visa Debit Card automatically sent out by their bank, so setting up your app store to bill your account shouldn't be too tricky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nokia store does allow paying via operator here, just not all the networks facilitate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

The main reason you cant use call credit to pay for apps is actually that Pay As You Go doesnt really exist in the US.

These products are designed primarily for the US market, and then just make there way overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Correct me if im wrong, but carrier billing is available for windows phone. Does Orange in UK not have it? SFR in France too I think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Correct me if im wrong, but carrier billing is available for windows phone. Does Orange in UK not have it? SFR in France too I think
    Yep, it's available for Windows Phone 7 on a very limited basis. Only a small handful of carriers worldwide seem to have implemented it.

There's supposed to be some improvements to it in Windows Phone 8, I'm no sure exactly what, but it's supposedly now easier or more appealing to carriers to implement, but I don't know how widespread it has become.

I'd imagine that the bottom line for carriers is that it's a lot of potential hassle, they'd potentially have to support the transactions, handle refunds, guard against fraud, possibly face a ton of regulation and legislation, and all for what is probably a very tiny cut of any sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Guys, how much do you reckon my LG Optimus 7.5 phone would sell for.

It is unlocked and has been in a case, so practically scratch free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Guys, how much do you reckon my LG Optimus 7.5 phone would sell for.

It is unlocked and has been in a case, so practically scratch free.

€30-40 maybe. You can get equally as good Nokias new for €80 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

GarIT wrote: »
    €30-40 maybe. You can get equally as good Nokias new for €80 now.

Thanks for that GarIT.

Damn, i thought it would be worth €100.

I may just hold on to it for a spare.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Yep, it's available for Windows Phone 7 on a very limited basis. Only a small handful of carriers worldwide seem to have implemented it.

There's supposed to be some improvements to it in Windows Phone 8, I'm no sure exactly what, but it's supposedly now easier or more appealing to carriers to implement, but I don't know how widespread it has become.

I'd imagine that the bottom line for carriers is that it's a lot of potential hassle, they'd potentially have to support the transactions, handle refunds, guard against fraud, possibly face a ton of regulation and legislation, and all for what is probably a very tiny cut of any sales.

can you make purchases using your phone credit yet?

can you make purchases using your phone credit yet?

I think it's available for O2 and Vodafone, I'm with Three though and it's not available there yet.

stevenmu wrote: »
    I think it's available for O2 and Vodafone, I'm with Three though and it's not available there yet.

how do I setup, I went to buy thru store and it said it would be billed to cc. am on vodafone

thanks

I'm not sure tbh, you'd probably need to check for instructions on Vodafone's web site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement