Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dont think WP7 has java support.

Even Windwows Mobile didnt really have Java Support. Had to get a third party app to run cabbage on the HD2 :)

bugger :( I sorta realised that myself after going to check on that app earlier.

The search continues :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

any way of turning off voice mail on o2? Have a HTC HD7

Like to stop it completely? Ring up 02 and just ask them to de activate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Just wondering does windows phone 7 have offline maps available for free?

• Advertisement

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Just wondering does windows phone 7 have offline maps available for free?

Not really. They have a small cache that stores small amount of maps.

But full down loadable maps option wont be there till the next update due to the missing storage API right now.

NoDo update for Omnia 7...Who wants to take the chance :D

http://www.samfirmware.com/apps/blog/show/7124400-new-firmwares-omnia-7-and-galaxy-s-ii-

ROM: I8700XXKC1 XXKB2

Country Code : Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
    Update 4:
    - The capacitive buttons are now disabled if the screen is touched so that you can no longer accidentally exist an app/game while playing (this feature is also present in the latest Samsung Focus firmware).
    - Data connectivity and performance (GSM and WiFi) seems to be improved with this new Radio rom. Content is fetched faster from the web.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Alright people, i'm thinking about buying an Optimus 7, and i was just wondering if there has been any confirmation as to what handsets will be getting the Mango update?

The phone looks good, stable, and fast. And for €200 quid it seems like a bargain. I'll probably only keep it a while but still.

all current ones will get it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

all current ones will get it

I'll give it a go so! Cheers man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Has anyone here flashed android or done a dual boot wp7?

antodeco wrote: »
    Has anyone here flashed android or done a dual boot wp7?

Theres been a video floating around with HD7 running android. But nothing has came out yet.

No one has cracked the boot loader on WP7 so no one has access to the full OS (except HD2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Alright people, i'm thinking about buying an Optimus 7, and i was just wondering if there has been any confirmation as to what handsets will be getting the Mango update?

The phone looks good, stable, and fast. And for €200 quid it seems like a bargain. I'll probably only keep it a while but still.

I've got the Optimus 7 and I'd definitely recommend it. Cant say I've any real complaints about the phone itself. I've dropped it a tonne of times and its still going strong.

It scored the highest on Engadgets WP7 reviews too. http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/22/lg-optimus-7-review/

DjFlin wrote: »
    I've got the Optimus 7 and I'd definitely recommend it. Cant say I've any real complaints about the phone itself. I've dropped it a tonne of times and its still going strong.

It scored the highest on Engadgets WP7 reviews too. http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/22/lg-optimus-7-review/

This will be my first phone with a capacitive touch screen, so i'll be interested to see what the typing is like on it. It will probably take a few days to get used to coming from an N900. I think the OS is a bit on the simple side for my tastes, but at the same time it looks to be reliable and stable. So that's what i'm after at the moment.

I'm going to miss having 40GB of storage on my phone though, nothing quite like having all your music on one device.

This will be my first phone with a capacitive touch screen, so i'll be interested to see what the typing is like on it. It will probably take a few days to get used to coming from an N900. I think the OS is a bit on the simple side for my tastes, but at the same time it looks to be reliable and stable. So that's what i'm after at the moment.

I'm going to miss having 40GB of storage on my phone though, nothing quite like having all your music on one device.

The OS is quite simple, but its also stable. If it doesnt have copy and paste when you buy it, I'd recommend jailbreaking it, as that cant be done after the Copy & Paste update is installed. The LG's are the easiest WP7's to jailbreak too. I can post instructions for you.

I came from using an 80GB iPod to the 16GB Optimus, so I know what you mean, but Zune actually does a great job of syncing the files you do and dont want, it'll just take a little getting used to.

Good Luck.

The OS is quite simple, but its also stable. If it doesnt have copy and paste when you buy it, I'd recommend jailbreaking it, as that cant be done after the Copy & Paste update is installed. The LG's are the easiest WP7's to jailbreak too. I can post instructions for you.

I came from using an 80GB iPod to the 16GB Optimus, so I know what you mean, but Zune actually does a great job of syncing the files you do and dont want, it'll just take a little getting used to.

Good Luck.

Yup before I put anything on it, i'll check and see what firmware it has, and jailbreak if needs be. Cheers man, i'm sure i'll be posting a lot in this thread when i get it in a week or so.

Yup before I put anything on it, i'll check and see what firmware it has, and jailbreak if needs be. Cheers man, i'm sure i'll be posting a lot in this thread when i get it in a week or so.

Now that I think of it, LG users can actually jailbreak any firmware. There is a built in registry editor in LG phones you see, so theres no need to run the "Chevron" jailbreak tool.

Now that I think of it, LG users can actually jailbreak any firmware. There is a built in registry editor in LG phones you see, so theres no need to run the "Chevron" jailbreak tool.

Awesome sounds good!

http://wmpoweruser.com/over-500-new-features-coming-in-windows-phone-7-5/

Cant wait for tomorrow :) See whats really coming in Mango :)

So far its just hints and rumours and a few leaks :) but finally something to put down on paper :P

Apparently new devices will be announced as well. Which is great since i want some of the new generation hardware :) Id love a Galaxy S2 with Windows Phone on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Very nice looking but I would not pay for one until the next major revision because it is missing way too much.

• Advertisement

Very nice looking but I would not pay for one until the next major revision because it is missing way too much.

Depends on your needs :)

Does me fine. I got a Galaxy S sitting around collecting dust. Find the WP7 much more useful to me. Battery life is also better.

I used to need all the tinkering and stuff but after approx 9 months with Android i got bored of always having to do this and that... Far too much maintenance for me in order to get full advantage of the phone.

I wasnt meant to buy one till next release either :) But when i got to play with it for a couple of days i just wanted one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Depends on your needs :)

Does me fine. I got a Galaxy S sitting around collecting dust. Find the WP7 much more useful to me. Battery life is also better.

I used to need all the tinkering and stuff but after approx 9 months with Android i got bored of always having to do this and that... Far too much maintenance for me in order to get full advantage of the phone.

I wasnt meant to buy one till next release either :) But when i got to play with it for a couple of days i just wanted one :D

Agreed. Spent years mucking about with Window Mobile 6.1 and 6.5 trying to build the "perfect" custom smartphone, eventually got sick of it. Android funny enough seemed to me to be just more of the same. WP7 has been absolutely ideal; the keyboard is great, the UI is great, most of my app needs are covered. The Nodo update fixed some niggly bugs that now make my phone rock solid and idiot proof.

Mango, from my perspective, will just mean some more interesting apps. I really hope it doesn't overcomplicate things though; I do NOT want to have to start worrying about free memory, closing apps, trying to figure out what app or service is affecting phone speed or battery life etc etc. That's exactly what's wrong with Android and I'm hoping to God multitasking doesn't kill the simplicity of WP7.

The only things I'm missing from WP7 are Wifi tethering first and foremost, and a fully featured offline navigation app (Navigon 1.4 is a grand placeholder till then). Otherwise I'm set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

When Mango comes out, they'll put up the price again.

I really hope it doesn't overcomplicate things though; I do NOT want to have to start worrying about free memory, closing apps, trying to figure out what app or service is affecting phone speed or battery life etc etc. That's exactly what's wrong with Android and I'm hoping to God multitasking doesn't kill the simplicity of WP7.

The only things I'm missing from WP7 are Wifi tethering first and foremost, and a fully featured offline navigation app (Navigon 1.4 is a grand placeholder till then). Otherwise I'm set.

Well thats what Ive been looking at now. Just watched the mango release event and feeling that it just lost the simplicity in it. Its by far nothing hard but just seemed sometimes there was just too much info being displayed.

Having said that though i imagine half of the search services wont be available to us (sigh) so dont think that matters.

I was really hoping to see multi player gaming and the kinect integration :(

And Joe Belfiore wasnt doing it so it was sort of boring :D

Dont care much about multi tasking tbh. What we have now is more than enough for me. Probably the most thing im looking forward is the facebook and live messenger integration. If they will put in facebook notifications in there as well ill be in heaven :)

I hate flipping through apps. Thats why i love WP7 cause everythings in one place.

Glance and go as they say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Just to let you know folks, I was at the Mango press conference in London yesterday and got a bit of hands on time with it. I'm writing up my thoughts on the day, but have been up the walls busy all day so haven't had a chance to finish them. Expect that early tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

I have set up my phone with a US live account so i could access more apps. is there any way to purchase apps though this way? I've tried adding my Irish card with a US address but no joy. Any ideas? Would i be better just setting up an Irish live account? cheers.

clacks wrote: »
    I have set up my phone with a US live account so i could access more apps. is there any way to purchase apps though this way? I've tried adding my Irish card with a US address but no joy. Any ideas? Would i be better just setting up an Irish live account? cheers.

Depends on how important paid apps are to you. I dont buy apps much, so I've never had to deal with that.

I'm afraid you may have to switch back to an Irish account :/ or get apps through less legal channels....

clacks wrote: »

I think your better of just going for an Irish one. It will be better in the longterm. If eventually we get full zune and bing support.

What error does it give when you try to add your card? Try adding it through Zune.

If eventually we get full zune and bing support.

Biggest if I've ever seen. I'm still waiting for XBL Indie Games to arrive on my 360.
    Irelands not getting Zune any time soon, Microsoft are having enough trouble selling products in the US and UK, they're not about to invest in a country with our population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

please do. :D

running OS version 7.0.7004.0 dunno what update that is but theres an update waiting to go on it already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement