Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

markpb wrote: »
    I brought my Samsung Omnia to Edinburgh for a day trip and can't use any app that requires GPS. Is there some weird reason why WP7 would require a data connection (which I have switched off) for the GPS to work?

Windows Phone 7 downloads the maps when you use them, it doesn't have them stored. So if you have the data connection turned off, the maps wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

Windows Phone 7 downloads the maps when you use them, it doesn't have them stored. So if you have the data connection turned off, the maps wont work.

I wasn't using maps though, just the GPS unit so I could track my progress on Endomondo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

markpb wrote: »
    I wasn't using maps though, just the GPS unit so I could track my progress on Endomondo.

it should work. I've tried it several times with data off and it managed to track my location via GPS accurately. To show the map where i ran i just needed to connect to the internet at home when i got home. Did it say GPS ok above start and stop button?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

it should work. I've tried it several times with data off and it managed to track my location via GPS accurately. To show the map where i ran i just needed to connect to the internet at home when i got home. Did it say GPS ok above start and stop button?

It said GPS OK - Location data unavailable and then didn't update. I tried again this morning and it worked fine. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Is anyone having any issues updating their Omnia 7?

There is an update available for third party security or something, I'm aware it's nothing essential but I'd still like to update.
    The estimated time for the update is 28 minutes, but twice so far I've left it for upwards of an hour and it's just stuck on the reboot part of the update.

Any ideas?

Also, check out Nextwar: The Quest for Earth.. cool tower defense game.

• Advertisement

Undead wrote: »

There is an update available for third party security or something, I'm aware it's nothing essential but I'd still like to update.
    The estimated time for the update is 28 minutes, but twice so far I've left it for upwards of an hour and it's just stuck on the reboot part of the update.

Any ideas?

hmm weird. Thought that update problem was fixed. Pull the battery out and see what happens. Samsung issued a special driver upgrade for Omnis to fix that. I'll look up the link when I'm on a pc. Or you could skim through pages here. I posted it here a good few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Any ideas?

Is your PC running on Windows 7? If not that may be the problem. When i first got my HD7 i was able to do the first update on Windows XP but i had to do future ones on Windows 7.

Is your PC running on Windows 7? If not that may be the problem. When i first got my HD7 i was able to do the first update on Windows XP but i had to do future ones on Windows 7.

Yeah Win 7 Ultimate.. I'll skim through for that post, if not I'll just wait until Mango. It's not an essential update so!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,263 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've had no problems updating my omnia 7 since I bought it a month ago. Installed two updates I think.

The handset seems to have gone up in price on meteor since I made the purchase. If anything, you'd think it would be the other way.

Any ideas?

Here. Download the patch from Samsung's website. Click on software when you go into it. Cause your going to be on manual pane when entering. Download the 23.22MB file. Then follow the instructions on samsungs updater. Should fix all the problems regarding problems with updating.

Some users had the problem at stage 6 and was meant to be fixed. But hopefully that patch will help ya solve it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Is Marketplace down for anyone else? Haven't been able to get into it for about a week or so, just keeps telling me to try again later. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Is Marketplace down for anyone else? Haven't been able to get into it for about a week or so, just keeps telling me to try again later. :/

Bought an app this morning and just put through 3 app updates, all fine. HD7 on O2.

Which network / device?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Been fine for me too.

Are you using wifi or 3G?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Turned out my windows live wasn't updating and I hadn't noticed, marketplace wouldn't work till my live id was back!:o

Just a thought but whats on my mind that the coming Nokia Windows Phones will make things worse than better.

Main problem with Nokia's right now are software issues. Ive got about 90% of nokia smartphones back in for repair withing two weeks of purchase.

Having said that the average joe would see if the phone was **** he would consider the software ****. Putting WP7 as crap.

Considering most of the returns are software related WP7 might solve that. But they will really have to make high quality stuff to make up for it.

Theres just such a high amount of C6,C7 and N8's being brought back its not funny. Cant even sell them cause im afraid some one will bring em back.

I was really excited about Nokia WP7 first but if the same story line follows i just dont think it will do any good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Just a thought but whats on my mind that the coming Nokia Windows Phones will make things worse than better.

Main problem with Nokia's right now are software issues. Ive got about 90% of nokia smartphones back in for repair withing two weeks of purchase.

Having said that the average joe would see if the phone was **** he would consider the software ****. Putting WP7 as crap.

Considering most of the returns are software related WP7 might solve that. But they will really have to make high quality stuff to make up for it.

Theres just such a high amount of C6,C7 and N8's being brought back its not funny. Cant even sell them cause im afraid some one will bring em back.

I was really excited about Nokia WP7 first but if the same story line follows i just dont think it will do any good at all.

Actually the one thing we can definitely rely on Nokia to get right is the hardware aspect; all their recent smartphones have been rock solid from a hardware and build quality perspective. And their cameras are usually great too. Their current software is just terrible. So when they finally move over to WP7 it should be a good combo of great hardware and great software. Arguably, one of the weaknesses of the WP7 launch so far is that most of the handsets are only so-so; they're all fine, but not many really stand out. Nokia should solve that, especially since they're releasing a few different form factors at launch.

And apparently the return rate for WP7 handsets is very very small; once people buy it they really seem to like it (even those who would return a phone because they can't get Angry Birds on it will soon be kept happy).

Lots to look forward to really; and because Nokia are joing the WP7 family it means the likes of Samsung and HTC will have to up their game.

Here. Download the patch from Samsung's website. Click on software when you go into it. Cause your going to be on manual pane when entering. Download the 23.22MB file. Then follow the instructions on samsungs updater. Should fix all the problems regarding problems with updating.

Some users had the problem at stage 6 and was meant to be fixed. But hopefully that patch will help ya solve it :)

Thanks man, can't get it to work though, setting the phone into download mode just won't work :mad:

Update! Scratch that, got it sorted. Updating on Zune now. Thanks again!

Actually the one thing we can definitely rely on Nokia to get right is the hardware aspect; all their recent smartphones have been rock solid from a hardware and build quality perspective. And their cameras are usually great too. Their current software is just terrible. So when they finally move over to WP7 it should be a good combo of great hardware and great software. Arguably, one of the weaknesses of the WP7 launch so far is that most of the handsets are only so-so; they're all fine, but not many really stand out. Nokia should solve that, especially since they're releasing a few different form factors at launch.

And apparently the return rate for WP7 handsets is very very small; once people buy it they really seem to like it (even those who would return a phone because they can't get Angry Birds on it will soon be kept happy).

Lots to look forward to really; and because Nokia are joing the WP7 family it means the likes of Samsung and HTC will have to up their game.

Well I hope that is the case. Just hope they tune the hardware to software well. Otherwise they will fall very hard

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

ilo milo
    iBlast Moki
    Rise of Glory
    Bye Bye Brain
    The Harvest
    Rocket Riot
    Twin Blades

I'm almost embarrassed to put this one up but

Monopoly :o

These are some of my fav games

• Advertisement

Assasins Creed -
    Bejewelled Live - Probably my most fav game. Played it for hours :D
    Enigmo - A very hard puzzle game.In fact i cant get passed lvl 2 lol
    iBlast Moki
    Ilomilo
    Need for Speed Undercover - Probably the best racing game out now. Hope gameloft will bring GT Racing Academy at some stage.
    PES 2011 - Not a fan of football games on consoles but for some reason on the phone its more fun
    Rise of Glory - Def a great game
    Game Chest - Solitaire - Bunch of different card games
    Tiki Towers - Bridge building game

Non XBL

Armored Drive - A bit of arcade driving and shooting :)
    Bubble Birds - Shoot the birds
    Bubble Twist
    Bye Bye Brain - Zombie Tower Defence game. Great graphics in it
    Codex - Probably one of the best put together and presented puzzle games ive ever played, awesome soundtrack as well
    Color Monger - Good little simple puzzle (again :D )
    Cyclops BallZ - Dodge Ball Game
    Epic 7 Free - Match the buttons to make a number 7.
    Flip 3 - More Puzzles
    Flood Control
    Flow
    Infinite Flight - If your into flight simulators :) Its alot more fun on the phone :)
    International Snooker - Best Pool Game on the marketplace
    Manhattan 2020 - Arcade Jumper
    Mars Runner - Another arcade
    Orb -
    Pixel Man Zero
    Square Off
    Tic Tac Toe
    Traffic
    Triangula - Great puzzle game making triangles to win the most turf on the board
    Ultra Fill
    Unite
    Word Search
    Wordament - This and one above are great free word puzzle games

If your looking for some apps

gMaps - Alternative to bing till more features come down with mango update
    Optical Illusions Free
    Pocket Recorder (free)
    Police Lights 7 - Hey i got a Black Mondeo :D
    Sky Mobile - Look at the timetable and remote record sky+
    Supertube or LazyTube - Good youtube clients. Supertube allows downloading content thoguh LazyTube is a bit nicer to use

Surfcube Browser - The coolest browser out there :D
    Tools for Phone 7 - Lots of tools for day to day use or just fun
    Weather Duck - Simple weather app with live tile
    Ztitch - Making 3D panorama images

Thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,562 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

hey is there any way of playing music on a WP7 without being connected to wifi and also how do you connect it to 3G

hey is there any way of playing music on a WP7 without being connected to wifi and also how do you connect it to 3G

:confused: You sync what ever music you want on to your phone using Zune.

If you're talking about listening to the Radio on the phone and not streaming it, its in the Zune main menu on your phone.

To turn on 3G go into Settings -> Mobile Network and you can turn it on/off from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

I cant seem to get the find my phone feature to work on my Optimus 7! It keeps saying to "Turn on get results faster" but I have that on... do I need to have data connection and 3G on all the time for it to work?

yea but zune on the phone doesnt wurn on unless its connected to wifi and i have 3g on and it doesnt work

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

yea but zune on the phone doesnt wurn on unless its connected to wifi and i have 3g on and it doesnt work
    If you're not using the phone on the network it was purchased for you might need to configure it to get 3G working. Samsung have a configuration app in their section of the marketplace for Samsung phones that will set the phone up for the main Irish networks. Not sure about other phones.

which network are you with? You may need to set the APN. Try googling for your mobile networks APN settings and then go into Settings -> Mobile Network, scroll to the bottom and select "edit apn". Enter the settings there.

I'm not sure why you need wifi or 3g to play music? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

stevenmu wrote: »
    If you're not using the phone on the network it was purchased for you might need to configure it to get 3G working. Samsung have a configuration app in their section of the marketplace for Samsung phones that will set the phone up for the main Irish networks. Not sure about other phones.

Have you any more info on that?

I bought my wife an unlocked omnia 7 and it's great but 3G doesn't work on it. The little symbol is there and it's turned on and everything, but when you try the browser it just times out. - Is that something the provider could sort out do you reckon? (Vodafone). Does she need to get 3G settings updated on it or something? It works fine on wifi.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Have you any more info on that?

I bought my wife an unlocked omnia 7 and it's great but 3G doesn't work on it. The little symbol is there and it's turned on and everything, but when you try the browser it just times out. - Is that something the provider could sort out do you reckon? (Vodafone). Does she need to get 3G settings updated on it or something? It works fine on wifi.

Try setting the APN settings to:

live.vodafone.com

Leave the username and password blank

• Advertisement

okay ive got zune working it just needed an update but the 3G still wont work.im with 02

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement