Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Bambi wrote: »
    please do. :D

running OS version 7.0.7004.0 dunno what update that is but theres an update waiting to go on it already

Right,

Firstly. Open up the phone, and dial "##634#" and hit call. This will install the MFG app.

Now open up the MFG app, the password is "277634#*#"
    Then go to:
    Engineer Menu -> Other Settings -> Edit Registry
    Set the ROOT PATH to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    Set the input path to "\Comm\Security\LVMod"
    Set the input key to "DeveloperUnlockState" and set DWORD.
    Set your input data box to "1" and hit SET.

If all goes well, your LG Optimus 7 is now unlocked. BUT, every time you plug it into your PC and sync, it will relock, unless you do the following.
    Open the MFG app and use the password to open it. If you don't know it's (appmfg#*#)
    Go to Engineer Menu -> Other Settings -> Edit Registry
    Set your ROOT PATH to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    Set your input path to "\Software\Microsoft\DeviceReg"
    Set your input key to "PortalUrlProd" and set to DWORD
    Keep your input data box empty and hit SET. Output result should be 0
    Keep this screen open and:
    Set your ROOT PATH to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    Set your input path to "\Software\Microsoft\DeviceReg"
    Set your input key to "PortalUrlInt" and set to DWORD
    Hit Query. Output result should return data. If it does continue.
    Keep your input data box empty and hit SET. Output result should be 0
    Backout to the password screen and shutdown the phone via powerbutton.
    Reboot and sync. Your phone should stay unlocked.

Full thread on XDA Developers is here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=974874

I've used this method and it works like a charm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

DjFlin wrote: »
    Biggest if I've ever seen. I'm still waiting for XBL Indie Games to arrive on my 360.
    Irelands not getting Zune any time soon, Microsoft are having enough trouble selling products in the US and UK, they're not about to invest in a country with our population.

well that's the problem. If their never going to invest and push the services with marketing they won't sell anything :)
    If its not out there it can't sell.

Microsoft is bad at marketing as well. Tbh I've yet to come across a person in the shop that knows what windows phone is and what it does cause there's no adds in Ireland from Microsoft promoting it.

Tbh I love the OS. But if they don't provide the full services eventually. People are just gonna get sick of it and go back to iOS or Android. I ain't going back to Android. So iOS for me if things don't improve in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Right,

Firstly. Open up the phone, and dial "##634#" and hit call. This will install the MFG app.

Now open up the MFG app, the password is "277634#*#"
    Then go to:
    Engineer Menu -> Other Settings -> Edit Registry
    Set the ROOT PATH to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    Set the input path to "\Comm\Security\LVMod"
    Set the input key to "DeveloperUnlockState" and set DWORD.
    Set your input data box to "1" and hit SET.

If all goes well, your LG Optimus 7 is now unlocked. BUT, every time you plug it into your PC and sync, it will relock, unless you do the following.

Full thread on XDA Developers is here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=974874

I've used this method and it works like a charm :D

first regedit worked a charm but the i cant enter the password for the mfg tool because the keyboard it brings up is like and old mobile keypad and it wont let me access the letters..maybe im missing summat really obvious

well that's the problem. If their never going to invest and push the services with marketing they won't sell anything :)
    If its not out there it can't sell.

Microsoft is bad at marketing as well. Tbh I've yet to come across a person in the shop that knows what windows phone is and what it does cause there's no adds in Ireland from Microsoft promoting it.

Tbh I love the OS. But if they don't provide the full services eventually. People are just gonna get sick of it and go back to iOS or Android. I ain't going back to Android. So iOS for me if things don't improve in the future

They have put plenty of money into marketing, just not in Ireland.
    The thing is, Ireland has a population of 4-5 million people. Get everyone in Ireland to get a Windows Phone, and you still havent much, so why bother. Its not just MS, a lot of countries leave Ireland out of their business models.
    Bambi wrote: »
    first regedit worked a charm but the i cant enter the password for the mfg tool because the keyboard it brings up is like and old mobile keypad and it wont let me access the letters..maybe im missing summat really obvious

I'm afraid you are. Just type it as you would on an old mobile. 277634#*#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Just got windows phone 7 on lg optimus 7. Great OS overall however one minor complaint I have is that the games on the app store are to expensive and you cant use MS points :(

• Advertisement

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Just got windows phone 7 on lg optimus 7. Great OS overall however one minor complaint I have is that the games on the app store are to expensive and you cant use MS points :(

Every week theres a deal of the week (it will show the deal of the week on the marketplace background every wednesday). They bring down the price of games as they do on the real xbox :) so best time to get games cheaper :) also new Xbox Live titles come out every week on wednesdays as well :)

Games will get cheaper as we go and more people come on board with WP7. Some games already are dropping their price once in a while.

Use trial before buying as well to make sure you like the app or game. Some Arcade games out there are rubbish :)

though bejeweled, assasins creed, enigmo, ilomilo, PES2011, solitaire are well worth the price :) (in my opinion :P)

Indie games are a tad bit cheaper :) But no achievements :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

So windows phone 7 can play some arcade games that you can play on the xbox 360 also? is that true? Obviously old games, but arcade games none the less! If so, can you download games to your phone if their supported and you have already bought them for your xbox 360?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Windows Phone 7 "Mango"

Yesterday I was invited to London to see details of the update to Windows Phone 7 - codenamed Mango.

I've not had much experience with the current edition of WP7, but I must admit, I'm quite impressed with what I saw.

Important facts first:
    This will be a free update to anyone with an existing WP7 device.
    There are some new manufacturers signed on to produce devices (Acer, Fujitsu and Chinese company ZTE join Samsung, LG and HTC. Nokia will remain their main partner which seems perfectly reasonable given the recent investment).
    Like minded apps will be grouped together - so the "Games" screen will have links to XBox Live, your Avatar, games you've downloaded and installed etc.

It started off with Mr Achim Berg telling us that there were 3 main areas of focus for this update: Apps, Friends and Web.

Apps:
    They've now got 18,000 apps available from what was a standing start of 0 when WP7 launched 7 months ago. Not too bad I think - they've overtaken RIM they said. They're still very driven on this and Apps have better access to the hardware on the phone. We saw a pretty cool demonstration of the British Airways App which had a 3D model of the plane you were booking in order to choose your seat. You could then take an offline copy of your QR Code Boarding pass and save it to your home screen and BA support check-ins by scanning your phone's screen. Clever, joined up thinking from BA.

Friends:
    You can now integrate all forms of communication into a threaded conversation with your contacts through the PEople Hub. So if you start a conversation on Facebook, it will seamlessly allow you to include email (Outlook, Hotmail, GMail), Twitter, sms etc into that conversation with a small icon to tell you which means has been used. Useful thing to have. MS claims to be the first to do this, but I'm sure I've seen something similar elsewhere (the HTC Friend Stream is very similar for example). It works though, and you can link in

Web:
    Mango comes with a full version of IE9 installed. It also does something quite clever in the form of Quick Cards which are a sort of aggregate of immediately relevant info on the topic you're searching. The example in the demo was a search for a restaurant and the quick card displayed the address, opening hours, phone number, menu links etc. Very handy and useful, especially on a mobile device.

Other features of note:
    Multi-tasking - this was handled exceptionally well and with instant access to whatever you're switching to. They said the technology behind it will minimise battery use.
    Graphics - they did a side by side test of an iPhone 4 vs one of their Test phones rendering an animated HTML 5 page. The iPhone managed about 3 FPS whilst the WPO7 device did it in 23 FPS. Developers and Apps have direct access to the on-board graphics chip to help these things along.
    Office - All the "cloud" office offerings (collaboration, Sharepoint, etc) are working well here and SkyDrive will be supported out of the box too.
    Callendar - will now take in Facebook Events and set reminders for you on them as well as any calendars tied into an Exchange account etc.

Overall thoughts:
    I think they've built a really solid mobile OS here. I can see them looking to take down RIM/Blackberry before challenging iOS and Android - certainly the focus on managing contacts/mail (you can have 2 seperate Email icons/tiles to seperate Work and Personal) and Office integration. We're looking at a late summer/early autumn roll out and as I said, it'll be a free update for all existing WP7 devices.

Whilst I'm here, I'll just say a quick thank you to Cyril from Slattery Communications for the offer to go over and to Microsoft for hosting the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Will we ever be able to watch RTE Player and 4oD on our Win7 Phones guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Dav wrote: »
    Windows Phone 7 "Mango"

Yesterday I was invited to London to see details of the update to Windows Phone 7 - codenamed Mango.

I've not had much experience with the current edition of WP7, but I must admit, I'm quite impressed with what I saw.

Important facts first:
    This will be a free update to anyone with an existing WP7 device.
    There are some new manufacturers signed on to produce devices (Acer, Fujitsu and Chinese company ZTE join Samsung, LG and HTC. Nokia will remain their main partner which seems perfectly reasonable given the recent investment).
    Like minded apps will be grouped together - so the "Games" screen will have links to XBox Live, your Avatar, games you've downloaded and installed etc.

It started off with Mr Achim Berg telling us that there were 3 main areas of focus for this update: Apps, Friends and Web.

Apps:
    They've now got 18,000 apps available from what was a standing start of 0 when WP7 launched 7 months ago. Not too bad I think - they've overtaken RIM they said. They're still very driven on this and Apps have better access to the hardware on the phone. We saw a pretty cool demonstration of the British Airways App which had a 3D model of the plane you were booking in order to choose your seat. You could then take an offline copy of your QR Code Boarding pass and save it to your home screen and BA support check-ins by scanning your phone's screen. Clever, joined up thinking from BA.

Friends:
    You can now integrate all forms of communication into a threaded conversation with your contacts through the PEople Hub. So if you start a conversation on Facebook, it will seamlessly allow you to include email (Outlook, Hotmail, GMail), Twitter, sms etc into that conversation with a small icon to tell you which means has been used. Useful thing to have. MS claims to be the first to do this, but I'm sure I've seen something similar elsewhere (the HTC Friend Stream is very similar for example). It works though, and you can link in

Web:
    Mango comes with a full version of IE9 installed. It also does something quite clever in the form of Quick Cards which are a sort of aggregate of immediately relevant info on the topic you're searching. The example in the demo was a search for a restaurant and the quick card displayed the address, opening hours, phone number, menu links etc. Very handy and useful, especially on a mobile device.

Other features of note:
    Multi-tasking - this was handled exceptionally well and with instant access to whatever you're switching to. They said the technology behind it will minimise battery use.
    Graphics - they did a side by side test of an iPhone 4 vs one of their Test phones rendering an animated HTML 5 page. The iPhone managed about 3 FPS whilst the WPO7 device did it in 23 FPS. Developers and Apps have direct access to the on-board graphics chip to help these things along.
    Office - All the "cloud" office offerings (collaboration, Sharepoint, etc) are working well here and SkyDrive will be supported out of the box too.
    Callendar - will now take in Facebook Events and set reminders for you on them as well as any calendars tied into an Exchange account etc.

Overall thoughts:
    I think they've built a really solid mobile OS here. I can see them looking to take down RIM/Blackberry before challenging iOS and Android - certainly the focus on managing contacts/mail (you can have 2 seperate Email icons/tiles to seperate Work and Personal) and Office integration. We're looking at a late summer/early autumn roll out and as I said, it'll be a free update for all existing WP7 devices.

Whilst I'm here, I'll just say a quick thank you to Cyril from Slattery Communications for the offer to go over and to Microsoft for hosting the event.

Looks good. An Aer Lingus app like that would rock. However Ireland tends to get left out when it comes to a lot of those "Local" features like restaurant lookups, local search etc. The WP7 Bing services at the moment in Ireland don't even allow map searches! We also don't get proper access to Zune (Artist bios and artwork, never mind the Zune Pass service). MS have previously admitted a focus on the US, with Europe left behind, so hopefully this will change.
    moonboy52 wrote: »
    Will we ever be able to watch RTE Player and 4oD on our Win7 Phones guys?

I'd say not until WP7 gets as big as iOS or Android. Once the demand is there from regular phone users who have WP7 then RTE and Aer Lingus and other Irish companies will expand into WP7. General rule of thumb at the moment seems to be that the iPhone app comes first, then the Android app shortly afterwards. Usually nothing for Blackberry or Palm Pre (or Symbian for that matter). Because of how easy it is to code for WP7, and the relatively decent growth of the OS, I would say WP7 apps are next in line after the big 2.

• Advertisement

My bet is that FM104 will be the first Irish anything to make an App, they were the first to make an android app too.

Dublin Bus wont bother with an App, they havent even made an iOS one yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Does WP7 have a handy app where as you can check what your 3G data usage has been so far, so if you have a limit for a month say? I know android has a great app that is very useful in that term, it also lets you know when your near over the limit.

Also any news if there will be a flash light app for WP7 handsets like the one on HTC handsets?

Does WP7 have a handy app where as you can check what your 3G data usage has been so far, so if you have a limit for a month say? I know android has a great app that is very useful in that term, it also lets you know when your near over the limit.

Also any news if there will be a flash light app for WP7 handsets like the one on HTC handsets?

Next update. When more API's will be added.

Not sure will the data thing will be available. For now you can just create a bookmark in the browser to log into your account on carriers website and check. Depends on will the API for this be provided in the next update.

Not yet, still quite a young marketplace. I'd help if vodafone had a web based tool for it.

You can get the Flashlight app by jailbreaking your phone. Otherwise your waiting for Mango.

http://www.wpcentral.com/turn-turn-nagivigation-hits-marketplace?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Have a look here if you really need one :)

Seems to be the best solution out there so far

Dav wrote: »

They've now got 18,000 apps available from what was a standing start of 0 when WP7 launched 7 months ago.

Minor correction, they launched with over 1000 apps already available.

I'd say not until WP7 gets as big as iOS or Android.

I was wondering when Win7 phone will support flash 10.1(?).

When you go onto 4oD etc. it says you need to upgrade flash.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was wondering when Win7 phone will support flash 10.1(?).

When you go onto 4oD etc. it says you need to upgrade flash.

I wouldn't count on it. Not soon anyway.

I wouldn't count on it. Not soon anyway.

Are the CPU's not up to the task or why is it so hard to support the latest version of flash?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Are the CPU's not up to the task or why is it so hard to support the latest version of flash?

It's nothing to do with the hardware, it's just microsoft don't want to get involved with flash for some reason or another!

• Advertisement

It's nothing to do with the hardware, it's just microsoft don't want to get involved with flash for some reason or another!

Ah thank's for the explanation.

I wonder what the beef is (money no doubt)?

Apple have issues with Adobe as well i believe.

Minor correction, they launched with over 1000 apps already available.

Minor correction 777 apps as i recall ;)

Tbh i dont want flash :D i like not having the adds.

And on top its a battery killer. I was shocked how much power flash drained when i was looking at bat stats while leaving browser running in the background playing flash content (youtube video)

When HTML5 comes it will do for the most because main reason people need flash for is youtube. Once they can see it over HTML5 most of them will be happy including me.

And apparently WP7 right now doesnt have good enough hardware management to harwest the power need for it efficiently running. That apparently will come with Mango. But thats just blog site annalysis and speculations :)

Flash is dead. HTML5 does everything flash does, but better, and more efficiently.

Flash is dead. HTML5 does everything flash does, but better, and more efficiently.

Well on efficiency and more resource friendly yes. Everytime i try to play a 1080p video on youtube the fan on the desktop goes mental :D

1080p video file no problem :)

Flash is a resource hungry platform that was made originally for PC's. Doesnt seem to be smart to move it to something so limited in power as a phone or a tablet.

I know they have 1ghz and dual core processors. But SOC and laptop motherboards will never be as powerful and harwest the same amount of power as desktop pc systems. Well it hasnt yet anyway.

Though i remember in a test a while ago Nexus 1 vs iPhone 4 that flash ran at better performance than html5. Though as said. It just eats up resources and make the phone eat the battery in kw not w :)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/30/mystery-htc-windows-phone-sports-12-megapixel-goodness-raw-supp/?m=false

12MP HTC windows phone :) lets hope they have a good lens to match the pixels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I bought a HTC HD 7 a few weeks ago and have been using it as my main phone since then. I got it to replace a Samsung Galaxy S, which was crawling along with Android. I also had an iPhone 3GS until a few months ago

Windows Phone 7 is a great OS. It is far faster and more stable than Android. The version of Internet Explorer on the phone is very fast and much better than the browser on the Galaxy S. The only problem with this version of IE, is that the address bar doesn't appear in landscape mode.

Zune for Windows is also very good. It is very fast and very stable on Windows. It is a pleasure to use, unlike iTunes, which is slow and unstable on Windows.

I'm really looking forward to the Mango update which will make it even better. IE 9 with HTML 5 with hardware acceleration should be great

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FlapsOfDoom

i'm contemplating getting the samsung Omnia 7 but is it really worth the buy or is there something out there for around the same price but better?

i'm contemplating getting the samsung Omnia 7 but is it really worth the buy or is there something out there for around the same price but better?

How much is it? The lg optimus 7 is less than 200, check out the bargain alerts forum.

For under 200, it's an amazing piece of kit. The OS is also extremely slick, it has it's niggles, but they'll be fixed in the next big update.

I've had my Win 7 lg optimus 7 for a week or so now, and it's the best device i've had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FlapsOfDoom

How much is it? The lg optimus 7 is less than 200, check out the bargain alerts forum.

For under 200, it's an amazing piece of kit. The OS is also extremely slick, it has it's niggles, but they'll be fixed in the next big update.

I've had my Win 7 lg optimus 7 for a week or so now, and it's the best device i've had.
    its €220 brand new and unlocked. But i'll be taking a look at the optimus now that you have had experience with it and know what its like.

Thanks for the tip

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement