Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

The only thing that I would really be concerned about is if the GPs used assisted GPS. Not a major problem for those of us on a 2gb plan-But take the phone outside the state and you could be in for a nasty surprise when you get the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

That seems to have worked. I won't know for a few days but fair play to you. You might just have saved me from buying a phone and in a few short months being annoyed with myself when the next generation show up with Mango!

By the way do you know why the memory card was the problem? I like to think that I know a bit about technology but I don't see how the card was the problem.

Thanks

The reason why all memory cards dont work well is becase some of them dont have a sufficient enough Random Memory Access rate. Hence why the slow downs. Speed of the card doesnt matter.

I had class 4 16gb and it was slow. I tried class 2 4GB and it was perfect. But for some reason i couldnt jailbreak it with class 4 and marketplace didnt work for me either cause of false verification. I had an official activation code generated by Microsoft for my HD2 :D:D

So i just gave up and got a HD7 a couple of weeks after.

The only thing that I would really be concerned about is if the GPs used assisted GPS. Not a major problem for those of us on a 2gb plan-But take the phone outside the state and you could be in for a nasty surprise when you get the bill.

Downloading maps doesnt take that much memory. I think the average size of maps for ireland is approx 30mb.

Its POI's and other crap that takes more stuff.

Once the mango developers tools get released developers will be able to store information needed in the app.

Right now i know a few devs that are making their own API for Windows Phone like TA Maps to store the maps on the phone since they were told by MS that the API wont be ready till Mango.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Just regarding Sprout SMS for anyone with a Windows Phone 7 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71723045&postcount=66

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

No that has nothing to do with it. Its still branded to O2. My HD7 was factory unlocked but still had O2 branding on it. Which also affected the update cycle being longer.

Took me 10 mins to find it :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71077197&postcount=687

Thanks for that. The only problem I'm having is "serial" in the bootloader will not change to "USB" for me so i cannot perform the flash. Whenever it tries to install the drivers it keeps failing.

• Advertisement

Try a different USB socket. Or restart PC or phone. It went through no problem here.

I was running Windows 7 on a fairly old machine :)

Vista should do this no bother as well.

Not to sure about XP.

If you still cant search the internet for HTC HD7 drivers. Im sure some one has them up on XDA

I have tried all USB sockets on my PC and have restarted both the phone and computer numerous times even wiping the phone 3 or 4 tomes and no luck and im running Windows XP SP3.

At this rate I'm really wishing i had gotten an iPhone or Android.

Heh theres always 1 in a 100 :)

Did you write ring up or email microsoft? Maybe they got some tips.

I didnt do anything special on my HD7 or Omnia 7 and everything went fine. I think its just XP's fault at this stage. Its an old OS and might not be up to scratch how to handle these things. That was the main problem with the XP years back that it couldnt handle phone drivers correctly or find them. Try looking for a friend with Vista or Windows 7.

Heh theres always 1 in a 100 :)

Did you write ring up or email microsoft? Maybe they got some tips.

I didnt do anything special on my HD7 or Omnia 7 and everything went fine. I think its just XP's fault at this stage. Its an old OS and might not be up to scratch how to handle these things. That was the main problem with the XP years back that it couldnt handle phone drivers correctly or find them. Try looking for a friend with Vista or Windows 7.

Fcuking Awesome man! Thanks for your help with this. Got the ROM flashed, I had to use my sisters W7 Netbook.

EDIT: Will this flash get rid of the network unblocking or does the flash unlock the phone to other networks as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

It wont unlock it

• Advertisement

Cool, just wanted to know for future reference in case i blocked the phone to O2 again.

Told you :) Glad to help :P

It doesnt affect the carrier lock. Just debrands it from O2 or as microsoft calls it a free market phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

And in case you missed it, Ars Technica has a piece on what Microsoft revealed for Mango from MIX '11.

Windows Phone 7 "Mango" for developers: one heck of an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I'm just waiting on a solid release date. Hell, a month at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I am willing to wait a while for Mango, because Microsoft are going to have a lot in the update. I'm sure they're doing a great deal of work on the OS and it is going to take time, particularly if they want to get in all the sweet sweet Mango-y goodness they demonstrated at MIX '11.

I think Microsoft were very tentative with the NoDo release date because, as we know now, they were trying to fix problems with specific phones and firmware.

If we have a solid release date for Mango - even a month - then it would indicate that Microsoft are more confident of the update being rolled out smoothly and that should mean good news for us.

...Hopefully! :D

Im still not happy with the app management in the app list. Atleast they could have let you choose how to sort the apps. Would love if they let you chose a good old fashion app drawer :) The app list is nice when you start up your phone for the first time. It gets annoying when you add atleast 10 apps to it. Dont wanna clutter up the homescreen either :S

Dont feel like the letter jumping is gonna solve it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I'm told this is where the WP7 gang hang out, ... i started a thread where we could ask about /recommend apps to each other.

Gowaaan, have a look:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056243409

hey, how do I put xls sheets on the phone? Zune seems to be music/video/podcast focused?

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    hey, how do I put xls sheets on the phone? Zune seems to be music/video/podcast focused?

You'll have to email it to yourself and download it onto the phone.

I bought KickBox - Dropbox client so i could see the documents i need.

Once i open them i just save them when i need them. Or pinning a website to the homescreen to the windows skydrive works too if you dont wanna pay for dropbox client :)

• Advertisement

mmmmh, did that but cant see them on the phoen now, its an xlm file, can the phone handle these?
    I bought KickBox - Dropbox client so i could see the documents i need.

Once i open them i just save them when i need them. Or pinning a website to the homescreen to the windows skydrive works too if you dont wanna pay for dropbox client smile.gif

huh? :)

Not sure why yours doesnt open up but mine opens up fine. Using word 2010 here

www.dropbox.com its a file syncing programme that sync all the files to the cloud on multiple devices.

Whatever folder i want it to sync it sends it to the cloud and then i can look at them on the application and save them onto the phone.

Better file handling for office files is coming in the next update as well as integration with your hotmail and skydrive so you wouldnt need to send yourself an email anymore or use Dropbox.

Right now it only supports sync through share point. Tbh ive no idea how to use that one lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

urghh..this is sooo mid 2000's it might actually be back in fashion :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Right now it only supports sync through share point. Tbh ive no idea how to use that one lol

That was an odd choice imo. SharePoint is fantastic, and it's great to have SharePoint sync support (disclaimer: I'm a SharePoint consultant), but it's very much a business orientated feature. Consumers wouldn't generally have access to a SharePoint server, so it's odd for what is otherwise a consumer orientated phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

stevenmu wrote: »
    That was an odd choice imo. SharePoint is fantastic, and it's great to have SharePoint sync support (disclaimer: I'm a SharePoint consultant), but it's very much a business orientated feature. Consumers wouldn't generally have access to a SharePoint server, so it's odd for what is otherwise a consumer orientated phone.

Does it work with the more stripped down versions of sharepoint?

As i said ive no idea how it works. It just asks for the sharepoint address if you go over share point page.

Well just have to sit patiently and wait for SkyDrive integration with the next update.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Bambi wrote: »
    Does it work with the more stripped down versions of sharepoint?
    I *think* so, all of the functionality required should be available in SharePoint Foundation. It's not very easy to set up though, [url="http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/f95c7008-ed48-4a22-b3f4-a6beac664860]this MSDN forum thread[/url] discusses some of the difficulties in configuring SharePoint to allow access by WP7 devices. The only simple way seems to be to install UAG server and connect via that.

edit: I think the typical use-case they were targetting is for SharePoint-in-the-cloud which shouldn't run into these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Ok I've given it a few days, turned off most of the settings I wasn't using etc; yet my battery is still terrible. I charged it to full this morning, then took it out, sent a few texts and checked in on foursquare a few times and it dropped a quarter of the battery.

I've gotta contact Samsung :/

1. any reason why whilst in the marketplace trying to buy an app, it keeps only giving my the option of a UK address when setting up the CC?

2. if you are at home, turn on wifi and auto connect to it, does this then mean that you are downloading via wifi or does it still use 3g?

• Advertisement

Ive no idea Undead. Id suggest you go to the shop you bought it in :) Such an effort to communicate with Samsung Customer care.

When i was asked when i bought the phone i told em mid february and they asked me was it 2010 or 2011...Lol since the phone wasnt out in Feb 2010 :confused::confused: Also spelling your name to them is a torture. The great quality of Indian call centre's.

GTI if you go into setting and through location settings set your phone to English (Ireland ) or Ireland. That will solve it. I think the O2 HD7's are programmed the same as in England hence the setting for GB

And when its connected to Wifi it doesnt use your phones data.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement