Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm not going to address the rest of your post, just these two points:
    xsiborg wrote: »
    can you watch any movie you want? and does it relay this info back to microsoft whether you consent to or not?
    Of course you can watch anything you want once you have it in the correct file format and can copy it on to the phone. I have watched a few different things on my phone - episodes of television shows and a few films. All were loaded on to the phone using the Zune software. I have never used the Marketplace for movies and I don't intend to. As for what it communicates to Microsoft, I don't know.
    xsiborg wrote:
    on a sidenote- the sheer size of these new smartphones is also what puts me off, i like to use my phone with one hand and then be able to slide it back into my shirt pocket, or even the back pocket of my jeans... with the size of some of the htc or samsung phones, even the nokia n8, this is just impractical!
    Unless you're wearing clothes that don't fit you there should be no problem taking your phone in and out of your jeans pocket. I'd never put my phone into my back pocket as I'd be concerned about sitting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Well my phone is STILL going bog slow after forcing the NoDo update, so I decided to restore to the Feb update.

Unfortunately this isn't as easy as it should be. Zune seems to be stuck on this screen, it's not frozen, as the blue bar is still moving. But it's estimated time of 13 minutes is now around 60.

Anyone have any ideas, or had a similar problem?

Really don't wanna factory reset, but I'll have no choice if this doesn't work! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

xsiborg wrote: »
    Evolution I'm confused, does the nokia n8 not have HDMI or an FM transmitter as well as 16GB storage? I was looking at getting a Win7 phone but with no setting to even turn off auto-rotate? thats one of the first things i did with my nokia n95 and my more recent nokia x6. i could also use copy&paste on the n95, how old is that phone now? and no other customisation only the wallpaper? no themes or anything?

but what's this about having to watch movies through xbox live? is this the same as the movies marketplace on xbox or can you watch any movie you want? and does it relay this info back to microsoft whether you consent to or not?

the more i hear about the wp7 os, the more i think i made the right decision to stick with symbian, as an app marketplace doesnt interest me as much as the phone functions itself...

on a sidenote- the sheer size of these new smartphones is also what puts me off, i like to use my phone with one hand and then be able to slide it back into my shirt pocket, or even the back pocket of my jeans... with the size of some of the htc or samsung phones, even the nokia n8, this is just impractical!
    I dislike the N8 just because of Symbian. I enjoy playing a few good games on the phone and the Achievement bit just adds that extra bit of fun to playing on the phone.

I have copy paste :P I got tired of always customizing my android phone hence why I moved. The lockscreen wallpaper does me well too :-) I like a clean interface.

Movies got answered :) and I never had the problem with the size of it. Actually I miss the extra .3" I had on HTC phones. Bigger screen makes everything much nicer for me. And as before never would keep it In my back pocket cause id sit on it and it fits into my shirt pockets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

My plumber has got an LG wp7 but he's going to need a strong case. Any suggestions?

was going to say otter box but they havent released any for lg optimus 7 yet. just had a quick look on ebay and found these

leather pouch with a belt clip

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Pdair-Black-Book-Type-Case-LG-Optimus-7-E900-NEW-/270720166554?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item3f082dea9a

or a metal one

http://cgi.ebay.ie/PDair-Silver-Aluminium-Metal-Case-LG-Optimus-7-E900-/230578174107?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item35af87b89b

My phone doesnt want to charge anymore :S was very hard to get it to start charging and now it just stays on 0 battery for ages :S

• Advertisement

Look up Simple Kitchen Timer.

An egg timer for all Chef Ramzies out there :)

It runs under the screen lock too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I got my SIM card replaced on Saturday. I haven't had any errors with it so far so hopefully that has fixed the problem I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Well give me a 32gb memory on it and it will :) sucks having to put movies on an memory stick to watch movies through Xbox. Could just plug in the HDMI and go :) fm transmitter is handy in the car too . Gets rid of the USB stick to play mp3's :)

You need an Optimus!

Phone DLNA -> Wifi -> XBox - no need for faffing about with HDMI & FM Transmitters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

And try to get some kind of bluetooth connectivity for your car. A2DP stereo bluetooth streaming music is 100 times better than FM transmitters (or at least the crappy one I tried :))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Im trying to update my hd7 phone. Its an update from Feb, my laptop has been out of action a few weeks so wasnt able to update it.
    After it reboots the phone, it tries installing the update but i keep getting the following message:
    The software mode reported by your phone isn't correct. Your device wasn't updated
    Anyone got any ideas on whats wrong? Im not well up on this type of stuff im afraid!

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    And try to get some kind of bluetooth connectivity for your car. A2DP stereo bluetooth streaming music is 100 times better than FM transmitters (or at least the crappy one I tried :))

The fm transmitter I have isn't bad. Just it recieves too much interferance while driving. The headunit in the car doesnt support A2DP. And if i connect it to the handsfree it transmits the output through a small crappy speaker under the dash. So its no good either way :)
    alwaysadub wrote: »
    Im trying to update my hd7 phone. Its an update from Feb, my laptop has been out of action a few weeks so wasnt able to update it.

After it reboots the phone, it tries installing the update but i keep getting the following message:

Anyone got any ideas on whats wrong? Im not well up on this type of stuff im afraid!

Im not sure what might be wrong there. Try maybe updating Zune software first ?

If you click on setting on top right corner and in the side bar go to general and check for update. If theres an update for zune install it.

Try restarting both phone and pc too :) Not sure what be wrong never heard of that problem

If anyone want to try LG OEM apps you can find them here :)http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=912217

Ofcourse you need Developers Unlocked handset and Xap installer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Im not sure what might be wrong there. Try maybe updating Zune software first ?

If you click on setting on top right corner and in the side bar go to general and check for update. If theres an update for zune install it.

Try restarting both phone and pc too :) Not sure what be wrong never heard of that problem

If anyone want to try LG OEM apps you can find them here :)http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=912217

Ofcourse you need Developers Unlocked handset and Xap installer

Yeah think it was my Zune and my laptop. Did it off another one and it worked

Woke up this morning and phone was dead again. Had to send it out this morning to get it checked and fixed :S Bloody thing just wouldnt charge :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

If any of you don't have Cocktail Flow, its free for the week!

http://cocktailflow.com/

Its a very nice WP7 app :)

AntiVirus wrote: »
    If any of you don't have Cocktail Flow, its free for the week!

http://cocktailflow.com/

Its a very nice WP7 app :)

It asks for 2.99 on zune :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

It asks for 2.99 on zune :)

There are instructions on how to get the week's trial here:

http://cocktailflow.com/mix11/\

edit : Just followed the instructions and it worked

Im sure of you are aware of Mix11 :)

Heres a schedule for tomorrow on future developments of Windows Phone. I like the titles im seeing :)

Just hope they can be delivered fast enough

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm plugging this into an auxiliary port in a car a have for the week but when I plug it in the volume goes down to zero. If I keep plugging in and out the jack eventually the volume stays up but it's very annoying and I'm not sure how or why the volume stays normal sometimes it's plugged in and not other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Im sure of you are aware of Mix11 :)

Heres a schedule for tomorrow on future developments of Windows Phone. I like the titles im seeing :)

Just hope they can be delivered fast enough
    The rumour of the addition of socket access in the API is just what I need to restore my faith in the platform after the update rubbish. :)

gizmo wrote: »
    The rumour of the addition of socket access in the API is just what I need to restore my faith in the platform after the update rubbish. :)

Yeah well we knew they were bringing them out. The question is how fast can they do it. The longer they delay the more it pisses of everyone. I think there could be far more features and more apps in the marketplace if this was implied faster.

I really hope they will push out the Mango or 7.5 quick.

Ive talked to a few devs that had access to it and they said this what the OS should have been released like in the first place and it sorts out most of the current issues and finally catches up to iOS and Android in terms of functionality :)

I know if Microsoft didnt release the OS this holiday probably it would have failed dramatically if it was launched this coming holiday.

I would be happy the way it is now tbh if they only released that bug fix from 7.5 to fix app scrolling and start up speeds bug/lag.

Ive no idea scum lord. Did you try a different aux cable? Maybe something faulty there and unstable connection?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The fm transmitter I have isn't bad. Just it recieves too much interferance while driving. The headunit in the car doesnt support A2DP. And if i connect it to the handsfree it transmits the output through a small crappy speaker under the dash. So its no good either way :)
    I'm using an XCarLink which connects into the back of it, I got it when I had an iPhone, it has an iPhone connector cable for music and bluetooth for handsfree calls. With the Omnia I'm now using bluetooth for both. Although I'd noticed the music quality wasn't perfect, I thought it just needed some EQing but I came across a post on XDA that apparantly it's an issue that is supposed to be fixed in NoDo (A2DP was connecting using the standard voice bitrate), so I've been trying to force NoDo with no luck so far.

stevenmu wrote: »
    I'm using an XCarLink which connects into the back of it, I got it when I had an iPhone, it has an iPhone connector cable for music and bluetooth for handsfree calls. With the Omnia I'm now using bluetooth for both. Although I'd noticed the music quality wasn't perfect, I thought it just needed some EQing but I came across a post on XDA that apparantly it's an issue that is supposed to be fixed in NoDo (A2DP was connecting using the standard voice bitrate), so I've been trying to force NoDo with no luck so far.

If you have unlocked your phone you can fix that via registry

_-_____________________

Some people didnt see the difference between Super Amoled Screen and LCD screens on a phone :) so heres a good picture comparison :) Super Amoled -> Super Amoled Plus and IPS LCD

super-amoled-plus-vs-retina-display-111.jpg
    super-amoled-plus-vs-retina-display-131.jpg

MIX11 Windows Phone keynote starting in about 30 mins :)

watch it here if your interested about the future of windows phone and updates :)

http://live.visitmix.com/

Mango confirmed codename for next update. Scheduled for fall

Launcher support coming. More core integration for cusomizing

Full Socket support coming

Custom ringtones

Skype coming this fall too

Motion Sensing API

Angry Birds coming may 25th

Silverlight for the browser

Updated developer tools to be released next month

Performance analysis for apps to see where problems are and how to fix it

Improved scrolling.

Imagine decode to improve loading times pulling stuff of the internet and improve the experience

Even Faster application launching

Smaller memory usage without having to update app code

Mango will include around 1500 new API's

Allowing saving data in an application (handy for apps, especially maps)

Socket API's will be the same as in Silverlight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

That was good. That was really good. :D

I'm going to have so fun with the new APIs. Live station tiles and reminders for Irish Train Times for a start... :)

That was quite useful :)

Instead of having to go and make a calendar entry and put in all the info we can just pin a live tile to remind us. Also alarm with it will come too.

Save alot of hastle that will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

MIX11 Windows Phone keynote starting in about 30 mins :)

watch it here if your interested about the future of windows phone and updates :)

http://live.visitmix.com/

Mango confirmed codename for next update. Scheduled for fall

Launcher support coming. More core integration for cusomizing

Full Socket support coming

Custom ringtones

Skype coming this fall too

Motion Sensing API

Angry Birds coming may 25th

Silverlight for the browser

Updated developer tools to be released next month

Performance analysis for apps to see where problems are and how to fix it

Improved scrolling.

Imagine decode to improve loading times pulling stuff of the internet and improve the experience

Even Faster application launching

Smaller memory usage without having to update app code

Mango will include around 1500 new API's

Allowing saving data in an application (handy for apps, especially maps)

Socket API's will be the same as in Silverlight

Just watched that keynote there, REALLY happy with the future of WP7!

The Deep linking was impressive, the improvements to the Marketplace look very useful and of course, custom ringtones and Spotify! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Guys,
    They don't seem to have said anything about new hardware for wp7!!!
    I'm currently using a hd2 and it's time for a change.
    I watched with envy yesterday as HTC announced the new Android flagship the Sensation. I want a HTC WP7 with those specs please.
    Anybody know anything regarding plans for new phones, especially HTC? Or do ye think they are waiting for Mango before releasing hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

obriea3 wrote: »
    Guys,
    They don't seem to have said anything about new hardware for wp7!!!
    I'm currently using a hd2 and it's time for a change.
    I watched with envy yesterday as HTC announced the new Android flagship the Sensation. I want a HTC WP7 with those specs please.
    Anybody know anything regarding plans for new phones, especially HTC? Or do ye think they are waiting for Mango before releasing hardware.

why dont you just put WP7 and Android on your HD2???

They will be waiting for Mango to release any new hardware. I think MS like Apple will probably set a yearly new hardware release date (unofficially).

I actually like it more this way since we wont have to play catch up with every OEM that brings out a new phone every two months.

Like in Android

LG Optimus 2x First

Then Galaxy S2 A month later

Then HTC Evo 3D a few weeks later

Then HTC Sensation... another few weeks later

It will give you all the options at the same time. Rather than going bolox cause you bought the wrong phone a month ago.

Personally i will wait till they bump up the resolution up and add HDMI. Im pretty happy with the hardware now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Anyone having problems updating to NoDo? I keep getting error code 8000fff. I have reset and wiped my phone twice and am unable to even restore my phone since that error keeps coming up. I have also updated Zune and uninstalled/reinstalled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement