Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I agree. Most likely Microsoft will imply all the feautures that took Apple years. How many years it took Apple to implement copy and paste? a year to open up an app store. 2 years for performance increase. 3 years for copy paste. 4 years for multitasking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    to introduce multi-tasking. No one is forcing you to migrate to WP7.

I am more interested in IE9 with built in Flash support.

They sure aren't but I was intent on moving over to WP7 and now, the longer it's taking them to implement features that I take for granted, the less likely I am to move over. They need to match whats already out there and then add extra functionality thats uniquely Microsoft.
    I agree. Most likely Microsoft will imply all the feautures that took Apple years. How many years it took Apple to implement copy and paste?

I guess it took apple many years back then. This is now though and WP7 is starting to look like its behind the curve to me.

Yeah i know their behind the curve.

But tbh i wouldnt really go back to Android anyway. There was always a small amount of lag in Android and choppiness when scrolling through app drawers.

In my opinion app quality is far higher in WP7.

iOS has everything. But the same OS UI for the past 4 years got a bit boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yes! Sim invalid yesterday, have been without a phone since, O2. Just happened out of the blue it didn't gradually get worse it just stopped working.
    Hmm, I don't know if that's good or bad!

Malice wrote: »

Did ye try a diff SIM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Got the sim replaced today but I was told it's happened to other people as well and that it could be the phone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yes! Sim invalid yesterday, have been without a phone since, O2. Just happened out of the blue it didn't gradually get worse it just stopped working.

That happened to me twice since I got the phone at the end of Feb. Phone works for a few weeks then invalid SIM.
    Brought it back to the o2 shop and he knew straight away about the problem. He said something like the SIM cards weren't being activated properly. He did something with my new SIM there and then in the shop after leaving the SIM with him for a few minutes so hopefully this SIM will last

Did ye try a diff SIM?
    Nope, typically anyone I know with an O2 phone isn't around at the moment or at least I won't be able to meet up with them until the weekend by which time I'll have gone to the O2 shop myself.
    Got the sim replaced today but I was told it's happened to other people as well and that it could be the phone. :(
    :eek: I hope not. The phone is working grand for me otherwise and I've gotten quite attached to using it as an MP3 player.
    alwaysadub wrote: »
    That happened to me twice since I got the phone at the end of Feb. Phone works for a few weeks then invalid SIM.
    Brought it back to the o2 shop and he knew straight away about the problem. He said something like the SIM cards weren't being activated properly. He did something with my new SIM there and then in the shop after leaving the SIM with him for a few minutes so hopefully this SIM will last
    Fingers crossed it all works out!

guys check with Zune for an update from HTC? a few days ago it was reported that they were pushing out OEM update. Maybe that had something to do with it?

:eek: I hope not. The phone is working grand for me otherwise and I've gotten quite attached to using it as an MP3 player.
    Yeah other than sudden sim death the phone is perfectly fine, I'm getting used to it now.
    guys check with Zune for an update from HTC? a few days ago it was reported that they were pushing out OEM update. Maybe that had something to do with it?
    I did update the phone while the sim was down so I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it fairs out. It wasn't a HTC update just the regular copy and paste update.

• Advertisement

Well alot of sites reported an OEM update from HTC that was quite small. There was also no records of what it was. But might have had to do something with it.

Well alot of sites reported an OEM update from HTC that was quite small. There was also no records of what it was. But might have had to do something with it.
    I think I got that update at the weekend but the SIM card was definitely malfunctioning before then.

Should that come up as a separate update in Zune, or somewhere else? Or is it included in the copy and paste update?

Should that come up as a separate update in Zune, or somewhere else? Or is it included in the copy and paste update?

No it was a separate one. Not sure how it would work on O2 though knowing their bad rep for updates :S

Yeah, as evolutionqy7 wrote, it was a separate update.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anybody know how to turn Auto Rotate off on an Omnia, been using it for the last week since the iphone is gone for repair. I'd forgotten how good a phone it actually is:

Main Issues:
    whens flash coming?
    how do you turn off auto rotate?
    why does it take so long to charge?
    why is internet explorer so bog slow?
    why is there no good navigation

how do you change the menu structure from a big long list?

I didn't like it the first time round but after having to pull it out of the box again i'm well impressed, the omnia is a really well built phone.

Now my main problem, do you go back to iphone when it comes back from repair, or do I link my xbox account to the omnia, decisions, decisions:confused:

If I hadn't shelled out close to €100 euro for the tom tom app on the iphone the decisions would be a lot easier.

Main Issues:
    whens flash coming?
    how do you turn off auto rotate?
    why does it take so long to charge?
    why is internet explorer so bog slow?
    why is there no good navigation

Were not sure is flash coming. But HTML5 will be supported in IE9 mobile that will be coming in after summer along with multi tasking and kinect integration. I dont think the browser is slow. Its quite speedy. But varies sometimes depending on network connection. Sites like boards mobile loads instantly.

Cant turn of auto rotate. Unless you want to unlock the phone and bog down into the reigstry :)

Define long charging? :D

Everyone is complaining about. There is simple navigations like TA Maps in the marketplace which does the job with google maps. Navigation support from Bing maps is meant to be coming around the same time with the big Mango update. As it will be a complete refresh of the OS and is meant to add tons of new functions.

The only customization of the OS you can do is change the background colour and accent colour for the OS. Cant resize the size of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

So a buddy of mine went into the vodafone shop in Bandon to ask about the Lg windows phone. He was told he should get a samsung android because the windows phone did not support 3g.

Across the road in the carphone warehouse he was told that nokia make the best hardware and the LG phones are too darn slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

So a buddy of mine went into the vodafone shop in Bandon to ask about the Lg windows phone. He was told he should get a samsung android because the windows phone did not support 3g.

Across the road in the carphone warehouse he was told that nokia make the best hardware and the LG phones are too darn slow!

That is not good news.

I have the Optimus 7. I did not buy it, but no 3g is not good at all. I must check into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Phone store workers, by and large, know nothing about the product

I'll see if I can get a job as one, i know something at least !

• Advertisement

Phone store workers, by and large, know nothing about the product
    Exactly. You pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Of course it has fecking 3G

Whenever do a search in ie now its using Yahoo instead of Bing. I've gone through the options and its still saying Bing is the search provider, I can't see how to change it back to Bing. Yahoo is shyte.

You can only change it via a registry hack. There's an app on XDA to do it for ya. But you need a dev unlocked phone. You can even change it to Google if you like.
    And as before. The average monkey working a phone shop wouldn't have a clue. I worked In meteor and cpwh before and all the staff didn't have the smallest idea about the phones. LG has 3G. Check the box and you will see :) and build quality isn't bad. Never heard or seen any optimus owners complain. I heard more HD7 owners including myself frown upon its build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

moonboy52 wrote: »
    That is not good news.

I have the Optimus 7. I did not buy it, but no 3g is not good at all. I must check into it!

It does have 3G.

While it is pretty much a fact that Nokia do have the best hardware, the Symbian OS it uses leaves a lot to desire.
    Also, if you've used an LG phone that doesn't run a smartphone OS (WP7, Android), then yes, they are slow as hell.

I for one can't wait for Nokia's WP7's to arrive, Nokia's phones have amazing build quality, and their cameras are miles ahead of the competition.

Well if Nokia phones will have an FM transmitter and HDMI out it will attract me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

IDK, these things never get used

Well give me a 32gb memory on it and it will :) sucks having to put movies on an memory stick to watch movies through Xbox. Could just plug in the HDMI and go :) fm transmitter is handy in the car too . Gets rid of the USB stick to play mp3's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

FYI for those who have used Chevron to install Nodo on their HTC HD7, HTC are now pushing out their own bit of an update. Installed it this morning, can't say I've noticed anything. However I do believe others are reporting that parts of the OS are now displaying in 16bit colour instead of 24bit; there is banding with certain images. I've not tested enough to see if it's happening with my HD7 but I'm going to keep an eye out for it.

Phone is working beautifully otherwise. Just got a Parrot handsfree installed in the car and the phonebook, contacts etc is syncing very nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Well give me a 32gb memory on it and it will :) sucks having to put movies on an memory stick to watch movies through Xbox. Could just plug in the HDMI and go :) fm transmitter is handy in the car too . Gets rid of the USB stick to play mp3's :)

Evolution I'm confused, does the nokia n8 not have HDMI or an FM transmitter as well as 16GB storage? I was looking at getting a Win7 phone but with no setting to even turn off auto-rotate? thats one of the first things i did with my nokia n95 and my more recent nokia x6. i could also use copy&paste on the n95, how old is that phone now? and no other customisation only the wallpaper? no themes or anything?

but what's this about having to watch movies through xbox live? is this the same as the movies marketplace on xbox or can you watch any movie you want? and does it relay this info back to microsoft whether you consent to or not?

the more i hear about the wp7 os, the more i think i made the right decision to stick with symbian, as an app marketplace doesnt interest me as much as the phone functions itself...

on a sidenote- the sheer size of these new smartphones is also what puts me off, i like to use my phone with one hand and then be able to slide it back into my shirt pocket, or even the back pocket of my jeans... with the size of some of the htc or samsung phones, even the nokia n8, this is just impractical!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement