Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Boards.ie/Wheelworxs Race Around Ireland from September 14 2010

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaungil wrote: »
    From what I can gather they will be going in pairs with stints of each pair for a few hours. So Rider A starts bin car C&D go up the road in camper and take over in afew hours. Riders A&B then alternate every half hour or hour.

Aidan started and Raam was in civvies so I reckon he was taking over later about 1-ish I think.

Looked great was very jealous last night. If a little cold.
    Did you double up at all last year shaungil? I realise you were quickly down to 3 men, and so it may have been impractical.

Do you know if they are just doing this for the (head) windy stretches, or is this the tactic for most of the race (can't see any point in doing it in the hills though)?

They're still averaging nearly 29kph despite the conditions, and appear quite a bit faster than both 8-person teams - we may have missed a trick here guys - another 4 of us could have joined up, each done 5 minute stints, then spent time in the campervan "recovering", and taking all the glory at the end:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The cumulative times at TS04 actually show them 27 minutes down. This would suggest that they started 5 minutes before Renegade Cycling as they are only 22 minutes behind on the road. That is odd as Renegade are number 401 and our lot are number 402.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

when we lost a rider we had to change tactics hugely

Just as a matter of interest, did he ever turn up, or should the boards crew be on the lookout for some poor bloke on a bike, abandoned by his team, and still going round in circles in the west of the country because of some dodgy Garmin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

They started 5 mins behind. My toe is okay now but does numb it quicker than the rest of my foot.

Our 4th rider got the train home from sligo and I see him (as have you Beasty) on a regular basis. At the time I wanted to strand him in the middle of nowhere but I'm very forgiving.;)

We did double but it ended up the other two lads for some reason. I think it might have been so the lads in the car wouldn't have to listen to me. Reading Roches diary about trying to do as little as possible was not possible for me. I was hyper for all three days and the crew chief wanted to kill me.

The cumulative times at TS04 actually show them 27 minutes down. This would suggest that they started 5 minutes before Renegade Cycling as they are only 22 minutes behind on the road. That is odd as Renegade are number 401 and our lot are number 402.
    Based on their time through the checkpoint, and shaungil's confirmation they started 5 mins later (at 8.05 I presume) they appear to be 17 mins down.

It will be interesting to know if Renegade Cycling are the ones doing the short shifts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Beasty wrote: »
    It will be interesting to know if Renegade Cycling are the ones doing the short shifts
    I had assumed this was the team people wear referring to.
    From Facebook:
    Team Atlanta depart TS03 at 06.18 riders are in good form and say that they change every 10km will be interesting to see how this tactic pays off as the race goes on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wind is bad.

Over and out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Lumen wrote: »
    Wind is bad.

Upset tummy?
    Poor Caroline.:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

Latest tweets

Raam:

"Going out for a short cycle. Managed to avoid Mamore Gap. Blowing a bloody gale here."

team:

"Peter doing well" - picture

Team Renegade through checkpoint TS5 at 12.08 - hopefully the guys will be through there by now also

• Advertisement

boards 12.38 so 25 mins behind.

Team RPM only 2 mins back in third. All ex-rowers but looked handy to me when I saw them last night. This has the making of a good race which will push the lads even harder. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The website has corrected the gap between Team Renegade and the boards lads at TS05 - deducting 5 mins rather than adding it on - but I can't see how they arrived at the Team RPM time. If they passed the time station 21 mins after boards, they should be 16 mins down (having started 5 mins later) rather than only 2.

I'm know I'm too anal about this - I'm sure it will all work out in the end. It shows how close it is when a few minutes over a 2000 km-plus race has any chance of making a difference.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Has anyone got a helicopter?

el tonto wrote: »
    Has anyone got a helicopter?
    It's on the need/must have list, but the new wheels are currently ahead of it, so I'm afraid I can't help on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

From what I can gather they will be going in pairs with stints of each pair for a few hours. So Rider A starts bin car C&D go up the road in camper and take over in afew hours. Riders A&B then alternate every half hour or hour.

Aidan started and Raam was in civvies so I reckon he was taking over later about 1-ish I think.

Looked great was very jealous last night. If a little cold.

Yeah they are splitting into 2 teams of 2. Aidan + Kevin and Peter + Tom. Each team will ride a 6 or 4 hour shift depending on the time of the day and the riders will alternate during the shift every hour or so. This way the riders off shift will have maximum time to eat and sleep. The weather conditions sound just terrible at the moment but the ave. speed is amazing! I was there to see them off last night, it was very exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Lazarus!! Welcome back LDB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Lazarus!! Welcome back LDB :)

LOL 'working' from home so can actually access the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Cycled out to Navan with The tax man to see the start. Hope the knee is feeling better today tax man (I seem to be saying this every time I see you!!!).

Was mistaken for a team member at one stage and almost got interviewed, which was flattering.

Good to meet you too sy, pity about the camera. Best of luck to the team/support crew, you're in for a savage few days ahead, keep the spirits up.

Will post up a few photos later.

BTW, I lost my cycling glasses there, if anyone has them give me a shout. Only a cheap Decathlon pair so no huge loss.

Beasty wrote: »

Beasty prediction:

Wayne will score at the moment you set off this evening:D

What's her name? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Renegade Cycling reached TS6 (Sligo) at 1607h, Wheelworx/Boards.ie reached it at 1628h. That's a gap on the road of 21 minutes, and (I think) a lead for Renegade of 16 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Jaysus, hard to believe they're in Sligo already.

Go n'éirí an bóthar leo.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Renegade Cycling reached TS6 (Sligo) at 1607h, Wheelworx/Boards.ie reached it at 1628h. That's a gap on the road of 21 minutes, and (I think) a lead for Renegade of 16 minutes.

Good work by the Boardsies. Looks like they've pulled a few minutes back.

21 mins up on 3rd place.

Disclaimer alert we had a few spurious time gaps last year where there were mistakes made and wrong times went up on he site. Happened people got tired calling in at stations.

Some photos of start. Quality not great, fading light, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Gap up to 19mins at the latest checkpoint.

Bribery will get you everywhere

Caroline has been giving away the fancies!!

A few dodgy characters in these:

x2_2b04f1b
    x2_2afabe7

Renegade were through TS8 at 23.38, having covered 806.3km in 27hrs 38mins and keeping up an average speed of 29.1kph

Going to have to stay up until the Boards team time goes up now!

• Advertisement

No direct comparison between the first 2 as they are through different checkpoints at present

Renegade are through TS10 in 34h 37mins - average 29.61kph
    Wheelworx/Boards TS9 at 3.59 this morning, which I work out to be 31h 54mins, although the website is showing 24hr mins (I suspect that is an earlier checkpoint time) - average 28.25kph

RPM are 46 mins down on Boards

Keep it going guys - soon be half-way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement