Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Boards.ie/Wheelworxs Race Around Ireland from September 14 2010

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Good luck guys. I'm off the bike at the moment, so won't be able to make the start, but will be following ye on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

snollup wrote: »
    What time would we need to meet up top make it out on time?

snollup, I think I saw somewhere that the teams are introduced from 6pm, so if you want to catch that/enjoy the atmosphere/take some photos, we would need to leave at 4pm (I certainly won't be hammering out to Navan)
    Jimm,I heading up so if you're biking up I'll join you. The park would be a good starting point. I no idea how long it would take to get there,nor what route, so couldn't advise on a meeting time. Obviously I'd like to be up there well before the gang heads off.

The tax man, as above meet at 4pm, I reckon 2 hrs at a leisurely pace should get us to Navan for 6pm ish. Going to try to finish work early.
    I'm not sure of a route either, N3? Maybe less traffic on it since the motorway opened?

Anyway, is 4pm at the Papal Cross ok with everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Going for spin anyway so might as well do this.

Can anyone do 5pm?

jimm wrote: »
    snollup, I think I saw somewhere that the teams are introduced from 6pm, so if you want to catch that/enjoy the atmosphere/take some photos, we would need to leave at 4pm (I certainly won't be hammering out to Navan)

The tax man, as above meet at 4pm, I reckon 2 hrs at a leisurely pace should get us to Navan for 6pm ish. Going to try to finish work early.
    I'm not sure of a route either, N3? Maybe less traffic on it since the motorway opened?

Anyway, is 4pm at the Papal Cross ok with everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

4pm sounds good to me. Can you make it any earlier ROK ON?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Best of luck to all involved, will be following on the websites.
    Do us proud :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow.

I'm heading for some badly needed sleep! :)

nat00_wind.png?1418

Nice one. Killer headwind all the way to Navan. On the plus side,we'll be home in jig time.:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Best of luck guys, I'll try to get to some point and cheer ye on :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty prediction:

Wayne will score at the moment you set off this evening:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Good luck to the team and well done to all the support crew especially Caroline who I know has done an amazing amount of work since she came on board and probably deserves most credit for the structure of the team organisation going into the race.

Remember, second is first loser and all that... :) Do us proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Good luck to riders and all in the team

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Won't be long now.
    Hope the weather's improved.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Best of luck lads, lots of updates please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Was in Navan to wish the gang well. Couldn't stay for the send off but all looked in good shape and spirits were high. Good luck to all and stay safe.

Nice to meet Jimm and Raam for first time and of course the usual suspects The tax man, Caroline, niceonetom, Dirk and Lumen

Brought the camera but forgot to put a card in it :o

PS thanks for the stickers Caroline

Great to see the team off and that the weather had turned for the better.
    Best of luck guys.
    Good to catch up with sy,the knees just got me home.:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Through the first checkpoint - 66.8km in 2hr 5mins, averaging 32.1kph, in 3rd place. Current race positions here

According to Raam's Twitter he had to get a new helmet today, as both his were cracked:eek:

3rd through the second checkpoint, although it looks like one of the teams that started after them may be a bit faster at present - 136.1km in 4hr 14mins at 32.1kph, and going faster than both 8-man teams.

It looks as if Aiden started off, and with Raam and Tom huddled up in the campervan, I am guessing Kevin took the second stint

Raam has just tweeted that his first shift is over, so I'm guessing Tom was third and they've all had a go now. Looks like they had a very strong headwind to battle against overnight

The great news is they are up to second place at the 3rd checkpoint 262.4km in 8hr 30mins, an average of 30.8kph, and 16 minutes ahead of 3rd.

Keep up the great work guys (and support team)

• Advertisement

TS04 should be coming up soon at the current pace.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

still v windy up here keep it up lads

Team Renegade came through TS04 at 08:44.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

From what I can gather they will be going in pairs with stints of each pair for a few hours. So Rider A starts bin car C&D go up the road in camper and take over in afew hours. Riders A&B then alternate every half hour or hour.

Aidan started and Raam was in civvies so I reckon he was taking over later about 1-ish I think.

Looked great was very jealous last night. If a little cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just reading the facebook page there, apparently one of the teams is alternating riders every 10 minutes, which sounds a bit crazy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Between this and the Vuelta time trial, it's going to be an interesting day.

I think it's every ten kilometres. A lot of changing though even at that.

And still no mention of Team Boards having come through TS04.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Through TS04 at 09:06!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Thru at 9.06. so 22 mins behind. Not sure if this takes account of the 5 min start so could be 17mins behind. so they're now heading south into the horrible wind so the real funs begins.

The 10 min changeover can work but you need to have your changeovers spot on. In theory you can blast for 10 mins then 10 mins rest and then blast again. In practice not as straightforward as you have to find a place to pull over and do change over and no point in doing it half way up a steep hill (or maybe there is) also if it's lashing rain you are changing clothes a lot as you cannot sit in wet gear cos you're wasting energy. Last year we planned 1/2 hour changeovers during day and hour long at night. when we lost a rider we had to change tactics hugely and were doing much longer solo stints (up to 5 hours on 2 nights for me).

There's no hard and fast rules and it's up to the crew to decide which tactics work best for terrain riders abilities riders form and stages of the races.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    Thru at 9.06. so 22 mins behind. Not sure if this takes account of the 5 min start so could be 17mins behind. so they're now heading south into the horrible wind so the real funs begins.

The 10 min changeover can work but you need to have your changeovers spot on. In theory you can blast for 10 mins then 10 mins rest and then blast again. In practice not as straightforward as you have to find a place to pull over and do change over and no point in doing it half way up a steep hill (or maybe there is) also if it's lashing rain you are changing clothes a lot as you cannot sit in wet gear cos you're wasting energy. Last year we planned 1/2 hour changeovers during day and hour long at night. when we lost a rider we had to change tactics hugely and were doing much longer solo stints (up to 5 hours on 2 nights for me).

There's no hard and fast rules and it's up to the crew to decide which tactics work best for terrain riders abilities riders form and stages of the races.

Did the feeling in your foot ever come back ????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement