Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Boards.ie/Wheelworxs Race Around Ireland from September 14 2010

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Through TS 16 at 9.30 - that's 1,718km in 61hr 25m, an average of 28kph (website is incorrectly showing 109hr 25m!! - timer seems to be recording based on the Sunday starts!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Beasty wrote: »
    Tweet (from about half an hour ago):

"Gained 3 hr on the 3 team. We're steady 2nd heading to waterford. Peter & Tom going through youghal shortly. Come on boys!"

3 hours - that's incredible!!

kinda feel sorry for the team in 3rd, they must have gotten lost or are just completely fading :/

Still though, great for the lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

kinda feel sorry for the team in 3rd, they must have gotten lost or are just completely fading :/

Still though, great for the lads :)

They had their van in Kenmare last night preparing for the changeover when the Boards van arrived. From Kenmare to the Mizen Hd, would be a road where it would be very easy to get lost, particularly at night. F, all signposts and lots of twisty roads. Shortly after I left the lads I got a phone call from Lumen as the sta nav wanted to take them over a boreen up a mountain (Priests Leap) rather than going via main road. So even sat navs wouldnt be reliable.

Having seen the crew last night and heard some of the stories, I realise that while this is brutal for the riders it is completly unreasonably insane on the crew.

Hopefully all the teams and their crews will complete the rest safely.

I am coming to the conclusion that (1) this is insanity and (2) to do it well you need at least two camper vans and 3 - 4 rotating teams of crew (two of which are resting at any one time.) That is about 8 to 12 people supporting a team.

All the teams doing this are just getting by on crap food and damn all sleep. Fair play to them. I have no sympathy for the riders however, they are simply plain mad:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

ROK ON wrote: »
    They had their van in Kenmare last night preparing for the changeover when the Boards van arrived. From Kenmare to the Mizen Hd, would be a road where it would be very easy to get lost, particularly at night. F, all signposts and lots of twisty roads. Shortly after I left the lads I got a phone call from Lumen as the sta nav wanted to take them over a boreen up a mountain (Priests Leap) rather than going via main road. So even sat navs wouldnt be reliable.

Having seen the crew last night and heard some of the stories, I realise that while this is brutal for the riders it is completly unreasonably insane on the crew.

I am coming to the conclusion that (1) this is insanity and (2) to do it well you need at least two camper vans and 3 - 4 rotating teams of crew (two of which are resting at any one time.) That is about 8 to 12 people supporting a team.

All the teams doing this are just getting by on crap food and damn all sleep. Fair play to them. I have no sympathy for the riders however, they are simply plain mad:rolleyes:.

We have reverted to 1 car on road supporting sub teams of 2 riders to rest crew. I have had a total of around four hours sleep in last 75 hours, Making some silly decisions on Wednesday night due to exhaustion throughout crew and riders.

In better shape now, Raam should be doing Mahon Falls round now. Not long to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Anyone guess what time they might be passing through Straffan at?

• Advertisement

The hit TS16 in Youghal at 930am.

From there I think,

333km to Lauragh

442km to Navan

380km to Straffn

If going at 30km/h average then
    2030 at Lauragh
    2100 or so at Sally Gap
    1215 at Navan
    1015 at Straffan.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Facebook entry from about half an hour ago:

"Up the road from Carrick. Waiting for Tom and Peter to come back to the camper and let kevin and Aidan go. Heading towards Waterford in 2min. Ready to go now."

RPM went through TS 16 1hr 32m behind the guys. Adjusting for the 5 minute difference at the start, that gives the Wheelworx/Boards team a 1hr 27m lead

They should be through the next checkpoint any time, but the website is taking a bit of time to update (possibly as a result of the headquarter
    staff welcoming other riders as they come in)

They should be through the next checkpoint any time

2 minutes out - they went through at 13.17 - total distance 1,823.8km at 27.9kph

About 300km to go....

From there I think,

2030 at Lauragh
    2100 or so at Sally Gap
    1215 at Navan
    1015 at Straffan.

At present speed average.

2115 at Lauragh
    0100 at Navan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

From there I think,

2030 at Lauragh
    2100 or so at Sally Gap
    1215 at Navan
    1015 at Straffan.

At present speed average.

2115 at Lauragh
    0100 at Navan.
    Is that this evening? Tempted to head up for some support -

joker77 wrote: »
    Is that this evening? Tempted to head up for some support -
    Yes - I am sure any support will be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Just noticed Renegade Cycling have two 47 year olds and a 45 year old. One guy started racing at 40. There's hope for us teetering on the brink of middle age yet.

Any TOIChal 08er may knoew Peter Vance from this team. It may be him who started racing at 40.

@ Beasty Thanks for the updates as said you have been playing a blinder.

To the Whole Team stay Safe its been a buzz following your progress so far

Esroh wrote: »
    Any TOIChal 08er may knoew Peter Vance from this team. It may be him who started racing at 40.
    I hope no-one is suggesting that someone who started racing much later than his 40th birthday should give this a go....

Valerio Zamboni is 56, so I guess I have a few opportunities yet:eek:

the Underdogs are now shown as finishing at 12.30 - total time 111hr 30mins, at an average of 18.9kph - another great performance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Riding is the easy bit, sit on bike turn pedals tell legs shut up. Crewing is horrible. We got 2 fresh crew in for the last day who came in and made a massive difference and could think straight.

For day-time I reckon 1 car is fine cos no delay on changeovers as car can go ahead however 2 needed for the 12 hrs at night. Changeovers cannot be underestimated lsing 30 secs on a changeover evey hour adds up to 35 mins in three days and look at the gaps between teams. You can also do shorter stints at higher speeds. Will be interesting to hear the lads thoughts when they eventually wake up. I was like a narco leptic for weeks after.

They've gone through TS18 at 16:28 (website is incorrectly showing 14:28). Average speed is back up to 28kph over 1,920km. A couple of "bumps" and then it's downhill all the way ....

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Is the average speeding simply distance divided by time or is it "moving" average speed?

Cheers

Is the average speeding simply distance divided by time or is it "moving" average speed?

Cheers
    Total distance divided by total time

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

That's a very impressive speed!

Thanks for the updates Lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is the average speeding simply distance divided by time

Yes. It's basically:

Total distance - getting lost distance
    Rolling time + faffing time + screwup time

• Advertisement

Welcome back Lumen - we've missed you ...

Hopefully see you around 1 o'clock in the morning - keep up the fantastic work

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Peter and Tom are "on" now. For the last stage we'll get a bit more creative.

Camper and auxiliary car will be leaving Drinagh in the next few minutes.

Everyone is in great spirits. If we could drink beer without getting disqualified, we would. Unfortunately there's a rule about that, so we've been stuffing the ice creams down instead. Rock and roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

well done lads - almost there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Lumen wrote: »
    If we could drink beer without getting disqualified, we would. Unfortunately there's a rule about that, so we've been stuffing the ice creams down instead. Rock and roll.
    WTF?must be bloody cowens fault too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Lumen wrote: »
    Peter and Tom are "on" now. For the last stage we'll get a bit more creative.

Camper and auxiliary car will be leaving Drinagh in the next few minutes.

Everyone is in great spirits. If we could drink beer without getting disqualified, we would. Unfortunately there's a rule about that, so we've been stuffing the ice creams down instead. Rock and roll.

Is there any cake left?

Lauragh should be some time from 2045-2130.

From there I reckon 3 hours to the finish (108km, but downhill then flat).

No pressure on the team, but it would be great to finish before midnight;).

Id love to be at Navan tonite, wonder will the lads & crew go clubbin afterwards?

From there I reckon 3 hours to the finish (108km, but downhill then flat).

No pressure on the team, but it would be great to finish before midnight;).
    It would be great, but the solo and 2-man teams were taking well over 5 hours for the last stage

Having said that, if they're going to do it as a Team TT, who knows...

It would be great, but the solo and 2-man teams were taking well over 5 hours for the last stage

Having said that, if they're going to do it as a Team TT, who knows...

Nah, if there averaging 28kmph on lumpy stages, then they will do 20% better than that with a 14km descent followed by the road Blessington to Naas to Maynooth etc.

Ice cream is great recovery food, so they will be feeling just fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm gonna head out to the finish in Navan from Swords. Anyone want a lift?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Nah, if there averaging 28kmph on lumpy stages, then they will do 20% better than that with a 14km descent followed by the road Blessington to Naas to Maynooth etc.

Ice cream is great recovery food, so they will be feeling just fine.
    I'm holding you responsible if I'm hanging round for a couple of hours. I'd better take the ban-stick with me, I could always spend the time sharpening it up;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement