Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Boards.ie/Wheelworxs Race Around Ireland from September 14 2010

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,737 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Through TS 12 at 16.35, now only 1hr 27mins down on Renegade, and no time up for RPM yet

Up to 28.4kph

Fantastic progress since the last update

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Spoke to Caroline on the phone this morning. She sounded soooo tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

alfalad wrote: »
    I thought a garmin preloaded with the route would be a must?

We had three garmins but weren't compatible last year. not sure they can do it this year. Lads had route book, highlighter pen and used the odo. It kind of killed the time in the car too.

On the first night we saw a team go the wrong way and we ploughed ahead so I put down the hammer. It got very quiet in the car and I heard " Eh Shaun we think we might have gone wrong" and then in the back "no wait there that crossroads" and the lads laughing with relief. Horrible job.

also the coverage was dodgy a few times and the van got lost a good few times. One team ended being chased by a farmer with a shotgun in the middle of the night when they went up his lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Spoke with Caro and John. They gave me their Kenmare eta which leads me to deduce the are making good time.
    I am en route to kerry from dublin and just hope I can make it in time ti give them a cheer and some hot food.

Crew tired but I guess all are. Seem very calm given lack of rest proper food/facilities.
    Terrain now will really suit Tom and Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

shaungil wrote: »
    We had three garmins but weren't compatible last year. not sure they can do it this year. Lads had route book, highlighter pen and used the odo. It kind of killed the time in the car too.

On the first night we saw a team go the wrong way and we ploughed ahead so I put down the hammer. It got very quiet in the car and I heard " Eh Shaun we think we might have gone wrong" and then in the back "no wait there that crossroads" and the lads laughing with relief. Horrible job.

also the coverage was dodgy a few times and the van got lost a good few times. One team ended being chased by a farmer with a shotgun in the middle of the night when they went up his lane.

Excuse the ignorance but what do you mean not compatible?

As said before hats off to everyone involved it really sounds frighteningly tough.

• Advertisement

Garmin went into computer and wouldn't load the route from the computer onto the Garmin from what I recall. I wasn't on duty for it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,737 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

32 mins up on RPM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Reading this with baited breath, Sounds like the lads are doing well

Thanks all for the updates much appreciated

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    Garmin went into computer and wouldn't load the route from the computer onto the Garmin from what I recall. I wasn't on duty for it.

That was me would you believe ! It loaded onto my 705 ok but couldn't get any of the car based ones to recognise it.
    DelFagan brought them round to my house (you might remember him ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

In Sneem Hotel lobby in my bike gear feeling under dressed

From Raam about 7:10. Sneem is TS13. I don't know if he is with the crew ahead of the guys on the road but, if not, they are making up time quickly.

• Advertisement

Actually, they couldn't have done 120 tough kms in 2 and a half hours. Lads must still be out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Anyone planning to go out to meet them tomorrow? Looks like Tagadhoe west of Celbridge is the closest point to Dublin. I might head out from Glasnevin if the times are right. Haven't any night riding lights so I'd have to get back to lit roads before dark...

Renegade were through TS 13 a couple of hours ago (time 47h 1m, speed 29.4kph), which should mean the guys are through there also by now. Hopefully there will be an update shortly

About 1,400 km done, and almost 2/3 of the way there. I'd like to say it's downhill all the way now, but I suspect tomorrow will prove different!

Through at 20.51, 1hr 46m down on Renegade. No time for RPM yet

1,383.8km done at 28.4kph

Keep it going guys - this is a tremendous performance

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Anyone planning to go out to meet them tomorrow? Looks like Tagadhoe west of Celbridge is the closest point to Dublin. I might head out from Glasnevin if the times are right. Haven't any night riding lights so I'd have to get back to lit roads before dark...
    I really want to be there when they head into Navan - based on the current speed this will be some time around midnight, and it looks as if pretty much the whole journey around Dublin will be done in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Have to see how it goes. Might have to drive out instead...

Do you think they'll keep up that speed through the Wicklow mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I was thinking of heading out the timing station at Laragh depending on the time. Going on rough average speeds times could be at odd hours of the night/morning.

Do you think they'll keep up that speed through the Wicklow mountains?
    Probably not, but hopefully the wind (and rain) will be a bit kinder on them than it has been. If it's 1 o'clock in the morning, so be it:)

Looking at the stage details, most have included around 1,000 to 1,500m of climbing. The penultimate stage includes over 2,000m, but is a bit longer than most. I guess the real question is how they are feeling, and whether it gets too much for any of them.

1hr 12min up on RPM at TS13

To put this performance in perspective, they are over 100km ahead of the fastest 8-man team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Beasty, you are playing a stormer. Thanks for the updates.
    Come on the lads (and lassies!). When they get a smell of the Wicklow mountains the Renegades better watch out.

The average speeds are quite staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hi. Just met Caro and Lumen in the campervan. I'd say I missed Tom and RAAM by minutes as they passed thru Kenmare before I got there.

Guys all tired but seem in good spirits. They met some of the Orwell ladies in Sneem for Ras na mBan - it was good to see familiar faces.

Cyclists were asleep in the van when they got there (Aidan and Kevin).
    Dirk and Jeff are with the guys on the road. They had a good day on the road and the cyclists feel good as some of them have had some sleep.

Crew are sleeping less and could probably do with a break.

If ye can get to Wicklow or the finishing straight tomorrow then do. I would imagine that the guys on bikes are in the zone TTing it. The crew might appreciate seeing a friendly face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Great work lads, keep it up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I see Wheels of Destiny are through Laragh and over the Gap. All down hill to Navan.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done lads great effort so far.

Through TS15 in at 5.27am in 57h 22m, averaging 28.2kph over 1,616km - into the last quarter now!

That puts them 1h 22m ahead of RPM. There's no direct comparison with Renegade, as they are through TS16 - their average speed is 29.5kph

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Anyone like to estimate what time they'll hit TS19 at Laragh?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

sy wrote: »
    Beasty, you are playing a stormer. Thanks for the updates.

I can imagine Beasty in a previous life, in an underground bunker like the RAF Air Marshal in the film "The Battle of Britain" pushing little wooden Spitfires and Messerschmitts around with a stick on his table top map of Europe. :D

Only kidding Beasty, keep up the good work.

Who gets less sleep? Beasty on Mission control or Raam cycling about 6 hrs a day?

Just noticed Renegade Cycling have two 47 year olds and a 45 year old. One guy started racing at 40. There's hope for us teetering on the brink of middle age yet.

• Advertisement

Tweet (from about half an hour ago):

"Gained 3 hr on the 3 team. We're steady 2nd heading to waterford. Peter & Tom going through youghal shortly. Come on boys!"

3 hours - that's incredible!!

EDIT - based on their time through TS16 (below) I can't see how they could be 3 hours ahead of RPM - I would guess something under 2hrs, but still doing brilliantly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement