Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Switch Off - 24/10/2012

Options
  • 21-06-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Now that the summer is over, I'm gonna set a countdown timer so I need to know will it turn off at ...

midnight on the 23rd
    midday on the 24th
    midnight on the 24th
    will they all go together or one at a time (bbc2 usually went before bbc1)
    will gaybo start to shout louder at the time approaches
    will the X keep getting bigger
    maybe tv3 will have their own countdown timer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

eirman wrote: »
    Now that the summer is over, I'm gonna set a countdown timer so I need to know will it turn off at ...

midnight on the 23rd
    midday on the 24th
    midnight on the 24th
    will gaybo start to shout louder at the time approaches
    maybe tv3 will have their own countdown timer

Local tv dealer near me says RTE told him, 10am on morning of 24th Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

midnight on the 23rd
    midday on the 24th
    midnight on the 24th

They'll probably go in the early hours of Wed 24th Oct to allow the transmitters north of the border to switchover/switch on to their final allocations and powers without interference from transmitters south of the border.

Analogue BBC2 will be switched off in DSO Stage 1 (10th Oct) in NI, that's 2 weeks before our ASO date. The other analogue channels will go sometime between midnight and 1.00 am on the 24th.

There's an ASO countdown timer on http://www.goingdigital.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Was a saorview demo in Limerick today and 10am on october 24th was given as the offical time.

steveon wrote: »
    Was a saorview demo in Limerick today and 10am on october 24th was given as the offical time.

Well I suppose we're not the UK, no point rushing it - lets do it after breakfast :D

As the last UK region to DSO I wonder if NI will be doing the same, unlike the other UK regions where the main transmitters and some relays were switched over by 6 am? Maybe they'll do it as PR thing - the last UK analogue transmitters to switchoff after xx years of broadcasting.

Saorview confirmed on their facebook page today that ASO will take place at 10am on the morning of Oct 24th. It's been mentioned elsewhere (above + Indo article) but this is the first time I've seen it posted on any of the official websites.
    Saorview
    11 hours ago

Time is ticking away and there are now only 50 days left to Analogue Switch Off on 24th October. The signal will be switched off at 10am that morning and anyone who has not made the switch will be facing a blank screen. If you know anyone who may need a bit of help getting switched, please lend a hand. All the information you need is available on our website http://www.saorview.ie/ or you can ask any questions here on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/?email_confirmed=1#!/saorview/posts/107920956026852
    Mary Curtis, Director of Digital Switchover, commented:

From time to time at some of our events and roadshows we encounter people who don’t really seem convinced that the analogue service will actually be shut down on that date. I can absolutely assure you that the analogue service will be permanently shut down at 10.00am on 24 October and any viewer who is not ready for digital by then will face a blank screen.

http://www.saorview.ie/news/50-days-to-switchover/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

She mentioned 10am shutdown on Morning Ireland yesterday too.

Wonder what the topic of conversation will be on Liveline on Oct 24th...

Apogee wrote: »
    She mentioned 10am shutdown on Morning Ireland yesterday too.

Wonder what the topic of conversation will be on Liveline on Oct 24th...

I thought it was the interviewer who mentioned the 10am switchoff at the end of the discussion, I'd have to listen back to be sure.

You're right
    Gavin Jennings: Just to be clear here there's no, for want of a better word, there's no amnesty here, 10 O'Clock in the morning on October the 24th, it's gone.

Mary Curtis: It's gone. There's lots and lots of help available...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

I like this one, perhaps it can grow to cover the screen over the next few weeks :D

The new RTÉNL website has added an ASO countdown timer to its homepage. The target time is 2100hrs GMT (10.00pm local) on Oct 24th, an error or delayed switchoff?
    </script> <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(document).ready(function() {
    jQuery('#5295-dashboard').countDown({
    targetDate: {
    'day': 24,
    'month': 10,
    'year': 2012,
    'hour': 21,
    'min': 00,
    'sec': 00,
    'localtime': '9/13/2012 11:53:48'
    },
    style: 'carbonlite',
    omitWeeks: true });
    });
    </script>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The target time is 2100hrs GMT on Oct 24th, an error or delayed switchoff?

Should they not make it 21:30 and turn it off just after the weather forecast, having discussed it in the News?

Will we all be watching it to the end?

ardmacha wrote: »
    Should they not make it 21:30 and turn it off just after the weather forecast, having discussed it in the News?

Will we all be watching it to the end?

Every official discussion/press release etc. on this in the last week or so has said it will happen at 10.00am in the morning, probably an error on the RTÉNL site.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Harvey Norman reckons its 12 midnight on the 23rd

http://www.digitalswitch.ie/

(have I got that right????)

JonathonS wrote: »
    Harvey Norman reckons its 12 midnight on the 23rd

http://www.digitalswitch.ie/

(have I got that right????)

Before the powers that be officially announced the 10.00am switchoff on Oct 24th we all expected (incl Harvey Norman it appears) ASO to happen in the early hours of the 24th in conjunction with the switchoff in NI and in line with the UK regions. The switchoff time for NI hasn't been announced yet but expected soon.

The Cush wrote: »
    The new RTÉNL website has added an ASO countdown timer to its homepage. The target time is 2100hrs GMT on Oct 24th, an error or delayed switchoff?

Fixed, now counting down to 10.00am on Oct 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

How are the transmitters actually switched off, manually or timer unit or central control? With all the relays that is a big job! The change of channels and power levels at some DTT transmitters will surely have to be done manually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

There's a man in Dublin with a bank of those big contact breakers like you see in the movies, waiting to swing them open......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Perhaps they will just stop sending the signal.

Or run a caption stating the analogue service has ended and please switch to Saorview to continue viewing.

Similar to the recorded loop after end of MW:

Apogee wrote: »
    Or run a caption stating the analogue service has ended and please switch to Saorview to continue viewing.

That would be a good idea, to run a caption/video on 1 one the old analogue frequencies such as RTÉ1's vacated frequency (if not conflicting with anything north of the border and available to those with UHF/VHF aerials) for a week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It would certainly work on VHF channels, which would have a large coverage. It could be restricted to one frequency/channel as well. This would reduce power use and also channel use/interference.

However, it might be a good idea to do it before shutdown as well. For example, after midnight on the 23rd/24th on the channels due to be shut down.

Before the powers that be officially announced the 10.00am switchoff on Oct 24th we all expected (incl Harvey Norman it appears) ASO to happen in the early hours of the 24th in conjunction with the switchoff in NI and in line with the UK regions. The switchoff time for NI hasn't been announced yet but expected soon.

Final NI DigitalUK installers newsletter published today which includes information on the analogue transmitter switchoff times. As with the other UK regions NI will be switching off their analogue transmitters after midnight while we switchoff later that morning at 10.00am.

Could there be a delay in switching over some of the DTT transmitters north of the border until analogue is switched off down here?

Final NI DigitalUK installers newsletter published today which includes information on the analogue transmitter switchoff times. As with the other UK regions NI will be switching off their analogue transmitters after midnight while we switchoff later that morning at 10.00am
    It states that the main transmitters will switch by 6:00am but some of the relays will not switch until the afternoon. Wonder where the very last analogue tv transmission will take place in Ireland?

Perhaps they will just stop sending the signal.
    Yea, but that does not stop the RF transmission :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Just switch 'em off. Nothing like a short, sharp shock.....

It states that the main transmitters will switch by 6:00am but some of the relays will not switch until the afternoon. Wonder where the very last analogue tv transmission will take place in Ireland?

It will be a deflector somewhere out West.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I wonder if the countdown will coincide with a corresponding rise in the price of set top boxes? Or will retailers wait until people have no option and then jack up prices?

gozunda wrote: »
    I wonder if the countdown will coincide with a corresponding rise in the price of set top boxes? Or will retailers wait until people have no option and then jack up prices?
    The prices of STB's I suspect will rise as the day approaches and demand increases, but some time after the 24th Oct. when everyone has made the switch, (one way or another), the price should fall as demand plummets. Remember the STB is only a stop-gap solution for older analogue or MPEG 2 only tv sets, as all future sets sold should be MPEG 4/ Saorview capable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

All analogue in NI will be switched off 'around midnight' on the 24th. The other times given are for the switching on of the digital transmissions.

• Advertisement

It should be remembered that the 24th October is the launch of Freeview in NI for most transmitters and the launch of FreeviewHD, but Saorview was launched here in May 2011. We have Analogue Switch Off, but NI have switch over. They have to re-use their frequencies which we do not.

All the publicity regarding Saorview fails to point out it was launched nearly 18 months ago!

Advertisement