Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

stevekae86 wrote: »
    Just after reading this thread from the start after googling rush history. This thread is the reason I joined boards so hello fellow rush men and ladies:)

I am trying to find out some info on my family like many others and cant seem to find any!! Im from a very small family it seems. Anyways my surname is Kean from sandy road, grandfather was michael Kean married to terri kean. My grandfathers sister was the actress marie kean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Kean

some of you may know her or my grandfather and be able to give me some help....any info be fantastic!! thanks for the great read lads,
    Steve

Hi Steve,
    i remember Marie Kean well, (is it Kean or Keane )Through her son John Mulvey,

Marie owned the ''Tideway Cinema'' Opposite where the Credit Union is now, Terri, owned a house next door, and I think her son still lives there.
    LeoB ??

Right behind this is the Garda Station, on the Main St, and I seem to remember Terri, or Marie had some interest, or sold that ground for the station.

John Mulvey had a solicitors practice,( his son is now a Solicictor ) his office is on Main St Tallaght, Dublin 24, and he used to travel to Rush once a week, to hold a clinic for clients in Marie's house, which is at the corner of Main St and Sandy Lane.

Marie was a great friend of Peter O'Toole, who visited Rush often, and had a few pints in Walshe's Pub

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

stevekae86 wrote: »
    Just after reading this thread from the start after googling rush history. This thread is the reason I joined boards so hello fellow rush men and ladies:)

I am trying to find out some info on my family like many others and cant seem to find any!! Im from a very small family it seems. Anyways my surname is Kean from sandy road, grandfather was michael Kean married to terri kean. My grandfathers sister was the actress marie kean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Kean

some of you may know her or my grandfather and be able to give me some help....any info be fantastic!! thanks for the great read lads,
    Steve

Your Grandfather was know to many as Nayser(sp?) Kean rather than Michael. His father I believe was at Sea and may have been a Captain, I don't know your GG Father name sorry but perhaps the Church records could help. The Irish Mariners site has a John Kean from Rush who was a Chief Officer, Born: 1878-09-20, Rush, Co. Dublin, and who died 14/12/1928 'Dolphin' It might be him or not.

Your grandfather wife was Terri as you said, she was the daughter of Mick Jones the Butcher(Skerries Corner were the Takeaway is today).

Your Grandfather ran the Savoy and later the Tideaway cinema on Sandy Road. RTE Radio would Broadcast a radio show from the cinema once a year.

Your Great Grandmother(Michael Mother) ran the shop on Sandy Road were the Laundry is now, she was always called Foley Kean, her brother was Baker Foley. The two storey house on Sandy Road on the left of the top of Sandy Lane was Foleys.

I hope that helps.

bucaneer wrote: »
    Hi Pacj
    My gr gr gr grandparents were John Leonard and Bridget Connor.My gr gr Grandparents were John Leonard he was born in April 1800 and Margaret Madden.They were boat owners and merchants in Rush also Grocer Spirit and wholesale Lyng merchants in Marlborough street in Dublin.He died in 1862 and Margaret died in 1887.Both are buried in Glasnevin Cemetery He had at least 6 brothers and as far as I can find out no sisters.One of his Brothers Nicholas was born in 1787.

Delicate question Bucaneer but where the Leonards smugglers? In the spirit trade and fishing does hint at that! Especially fishing off France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Well done, CorsendonkX, much more info, than my tuppence worth.

ps. welcome back??

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pacj

In 1950s my grandfather (Leonard) told me one of his granduncles was involved a "bit" of smuggling in 1830s. It was collected from bigger boats and brought ashore by local boats between the harbour and Drumanagh. He emigrated to east coast of USA in 1840s.
    Another Rush Leonard has stories of smuggling back in 1600 and 1700s from France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bucaneer

I am not sure if the were smugglers or not but in the late 19th century I have seen a report that my Gr Grand uncle Francis Leonard,he is the one who gave the name to Leonards corner was done for passing off American Bacon for Irish Bacon.I must try and find out more.The last of my family who knew of the Leonard side died 2 years ago,so I have only found what I know now very recently.Smuggling sounds good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cosgroves Chipper

Most of the population of Rush were Smugglers back in the day, I have come across a written history of the "Rover" McCann - written by Francis Whearity of Skerries that gives some background on the Cosgroves as smugglers (Rover Mc Cann was married to a Cosgrove) "The Cluskers of Rush": The name Clusker is a pet name around the town of Rush for anyone with the name Cosgrove. The Cluskers were known smugglers in the early years in the history of Rush, a time when many families depended on the smuggling trade in order to survive. Smuggling was not considered a crime in those days as the authorities of the day levied huge taxes or duties on many goods, thus pricing these goods out of reach of ordinary people. Tea, Spices, Brandy and many other goods were purchased abroad and takn back to Rush for resale, at great risk to smugglers, the penalties for smuggling were very severe. Although the risks were high, many of these Rush families who were engaged in that trade felt that they had no other choice, they had to make a living, some of them formerly earned their livelihood as fishermen but returns from that type of work were as nothing compared to the rewards to be had from smuggling.

Most of the population of Rush were Smugglers back in the day, I have come across a written history of the "Rover" McCann - written by Francis Whearity of Skerries that gives some background on the Cosgroves as smugglers (Rover Mc Cann was married to a Cosgrove) "The Cluskers of Rush": The name Clusker is a pet name around the town of Rush for anyone with the name Cosgrove. The Cluskers were known smugglers in the early years in the history of Rush, a time when many families depended on the smuggling trade in order to survive. Smuggling was not considered a crime in those days as the authorities of the day levied huge taxes or duties on many goods, thus pricing these goods out of reach of ordinary people. Tea, Spices, Brandy and many other goods were purchased abroad and takn back to Rush for resale, at great risk to smugglers, the penalties for smuggling were very severe. Although the risks were high, many of these Rush families who were engaged in that trade felt that they had no other choice, they had to make a living, some of them formerly earned their livelihood as fishermen but returns from that type of work were as nothing compared to the rewards to be had from smuggling.

What time period was that? Does he mention other family names other than Cosgrove?

The time frame is in around the 1780's - date of 1783 given about Cluskers being chased by revenue off the Isle of Man. No other family names from Rush mentioned - its a few stories that were told to Francis Whearity by Jimmy Murray and haven't been researched just repeated as interesting tales.

It would be great if Loughshinny and Rush Historical Society did a talk on the Smuggling Families of Rush!!!

Pacj wrote: »
    In 1950s my grandfather (Leonard) told me one of his granduncles was involved a "bit" of smuggling in 1830s. It was collected from bigger boats and brought ashore by local boats between the harbour and Drumanagh. He emigrated to east coast of USA in 1840s.
    Another Rush Leonard has stories of smuggling back in 1600 and 1700s from France.

Clusker family legend - one of the Cosgrove smugglers brought home a girlfriend from a smuggling expedition from France or Spain - some part of the Atlantic sea-board. She settled in Rush as his wife -(we haven't been able to verify this yet) It was said of the Cosgroves that their skin complexion was more sallow than the general population of Rush and that this injection of Continental blood may have been responsible for this. (or it could just be they were all weather beaten as they were all sailors!!)

Am looking into this - but there was certainly trade between France, Spain and Rush.

• Advertisement

The time frame is in around the 1780's - date of 1783 given about Cluskers being chased by revenue off the Isle of Man. No other family names from Rush mentioned - its a few stories that were told to Francis Whearity by Jimmy Murray and haven't been researched just repeated as interesting tales.

It would be great if Loughshinny and Rush Historical Society did a talk on the Smuggling Families of Rush!!!

From Rush Library Facebook
    A Talk on "Smuggling in the 18th Century" will be held in Rush Library on Wednesday 22nd May at 7pm. The speaker is Joe Varley of the Malahide Historical Society.
    The Talk will cover the different types of smuggling operations in Britain and Ireland. There will also be references to Rush smuggling. Please come if you can. Contact Rush Library at 8708414 or rushlibrary@fingalcoco.ie

Hi all
    A few certs which some may have an interest in

OH NO!!!!! I'd really like to attend the talk on smuggling on in the library - but my sons graduation is on Wednesday evening.....anyone going to this talk?

This is a list of some of the people in rush in 1852 in Griffiths valuation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

martinn123 wrote: »
    Hi Steve,
    i remember Marie Kean well, (is it Kean or Keane )Through her son John Mulvey,

Marie owned the ''Tideway Cinema'' Opposite where the Credit Union is now, Terri, owned a house next door, and I think her son still lives there.
    LeoB ??

Right behind this is the Garda Station, on the Main St, and I seem to remember Terri, or Marie had some interest, or sold that ground for the station.

John Mulvey had a solicitors practice,( his son is now a Solicictor ) his office is on Main St Tallaght, Dublin 24, and he used to travel to Rush once a week, to hold a clinic for clients in Marie's house, which is at the corner of Main St and Sandy Lane.

Marie was a great friend of Peter O'Toole, who visited Rush often, and had a few pints in Walshe's Pub

Yes John Keane still lives there on Sandy Rd. I remember the clinics John Mulvey held in Maries house. John actually live about 50 mtrs down the road from the home place but his sister lives at the home place

Marie keane was never short of company from the acting world as you also had Godfrey Quigley and Brendan Behan spending time around here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Delicate question Bucaneer but where the Leonards smugglers? In the spirit trade and fishing does hint at that! Especially fishing off France.
    Pacj wrote: »
    I have heard from talking to a Leonard that they were involved in smuggling as were quite a few. Rickards owned Whitestown mill and a house at the Harbour beyond the Harbour bar. The top room at Whitestown mill gave a good view of coast towards Portrane This was vital as they had full view of coast from Portrane up the Island in Skerries.
    I am not sure if the were smugglers or not but in the late 19th century I have seen a report that my Gr Grand uncle Francis Leonard,he is the one who gave the name to Leonards corner was done for passing off American Bacon for Irish Bacon.I must try and find out more.The last of my family who knew of the Leonard side died 2 years ago,so I have only found what I know now very recently.Smuggling sounds good:D

Leonards corner was mentioned on the History show with Myles Dungan on R.T.E radio 1 a few weeks ago. Do you know if one of the Leonards was a bishop?

Not quite sure of the year but I remember Francis Leonard drowning at Rush harbour, probably about 1969 or 1970. The Leonards handed down a lot of names, Nicolas, Francis, Thomas, Joseph.....

LeoB wrote: »
    I have heard from talking to a Leonard that they were involved in smuggling as were quite a few. Rickards owned Whitestown mill and a house at the Harbour beyond the Harbour bar. The top room at Whitestown mill gave a good view of coast towards Portrane This was vital as they had full view of coast from Portrane up the Island in Skerries.

Leonards corner was mentioned on the History show with Myles Dungan on R.T.E radio 1 a few weeks ago. Do you know if one of the Leonards was a bishop?

Not quite sure of the year but I remember Francis Leonard drowning at Rush harbour, probably about 1969 or 1970. The Leonards handed down a lot of names, Nicolas, Francis, Thomas, Joseph.....

Yes a brother of Francis Leonard of Leonards corner John Francis Leonard was Bishop of Cape Town He was born in 1829 to John and Margaret Leonard and died on 19-Feb 1908.I only found that out a few weeks ago.Would have loved to hear the Myles Dungan item on Leonards corner.

This is in the death notice of Margaret Leonard in the Irish Times 17-Dec-1887 where i found out about the Bishop.Also enclosed is her death cert

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kateoncapecod

I should know better than to not keep up with checking this board.... my goodness there has been a lot of activity here since my last check in! Thanks to LeoB, Pacj, and bucaneer for your replies. It appears that you have all uncovered quite a bit of information about the descendants of John Leonard and Bridget. I am still compiling, writing and updating information about the descendants of John and Bridget Leonard. I have more than 70 pages of information and it appears that I still have much work to do! Please be sure to post when you find new things! I am very excited about Bucaneer's find about the Bishop's relationship to John and Bridget. I have been trying to piece that together for months. Please feel free to inbox me if you would like to share notes. Best!

Thanks Kate.I am still scavenging around different sites to get some more bits and pieces,any i get i will put on here.If I have done things right John and Bridget are my Gr Gr Gr grandparents but so easy to make errors researching.

• Advertisement

Are the Rush Leonard's connected to Joe Leonard of the Squad?

You have me there Corsendonkx

You have me there Corsendonkx

I was wrong, Just found a link, Joe Leonard was from Ballina, there is another notable Leonard family in Dublin

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/leonard-s-celebrates-120th-anniversary-1.1167

I believe the family had a one term TD. Any connection to the Rush Leonards?

In a previous life a posted in another thread a list of Balbriggan nick names. In village and towns were only a core group of family names exist and a tradition of keeping first names alive within families it was quite common for individuals to have nicknames, some passed down the generations while others are recent enough creations from childhood or sports playing days. Most often the meaning of the nickname is lost in the mists of time but some do hint at a past profession, physical appearance or location within the town. So what Rush family nicknames do you remember?

I remember seeing the Leonard fruit and Veg in the markets area in Dublin.I am not sure where the family originated.I am not from Rush myself so not in Vogue with local nicknames.I am sure lots of the contributors here will know.

this is the grave of Francis and Mary Leonard in Glasnevin,He was the Son of John Leonard ship owner and merchant in Rush also Merchant in Marlborough Street Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stevekae86

Your Grandfather was know to many as Nayser(sp?) Kean rather than Michael. His father I believe was at Sea and may have been a Captain, I don't know your GG Father name sorry but perhaps the Church records could help. The Irish Mariners site has a John Kean from Rush who was a Chief Officer, Born: 1878-09-20, Rush, Co. Dublin, and who died 14/12/1928 'Dolphin' It might be him or not.

Your grandfather wife was Terri as you said, she was the daughter of Mick Jones the Butcher(Skerries Corner were the Takeaway is today).

Your Grandfather ran the Savoy and later the Tideaway cinema on Sandy Road. RTE Radio would Broadcast a radio show from the cinema once a year.

Your Great Grandmother(Michael Mother) ran the shop on Sandy Road were the Laundry is now, she was always called Foley Kean, her brother was Baker Foley. The two storey house on Sandy Road on the left of the top of Sandy Lane was Foleys.

I hope that helps.

Hey,

Yeah thats right my grandad was Nayser :) Thats brilliant info thanks very much! im trying to do a bit of a family tree, were is best to start guys?:confused::confused:

Hi Steve
    I think the best way to start is to ask your closest relatives IE Parents Uncles aunts cousins etc what they know about their wider family.You can join a site like my ancestry uk or .com and put in what you know in the family tree.some free search sites include family search which is worldwide and run by the mormon church has lots of information.Another free site is Irish Geneology which has a lot of 17th 18th and early 19th century baptism and marriage records of Dublin city and a few other places.C.O.I and R.C.Find my past Ireland and UK etc are paid sites which have lots of info.There are many more places like roots Ireland the GRO in Dublin.and of course the census from 1901 and 1911.
    Happy Hunting

Hi Steve
    Here is a an ID of Thomas Keane from Rush Born 1892.

• Advertisement

Hi Corsendonkx
    Just done a quick search and found these two

Advertisement