Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

The Irish Independent last weekend published a special supplement devoted to the late Con Houlihan. The Great man seemed to have a great love for NCD and the supplement included writings on Skerries, Rush and Swords in Con's unique style. In his Essay on Rush, Con mentions that a very well know poem was wrote about Gaelic football played in the area in the 1800s. Does anyone(LeoB) know what poem he was referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bucaneer

Hi Cardinal.
    I read that piece,it was brilliant as usual from Con.I done a quick search about the Poem.I came across this,Seamus Dall Macuartha in 1670 Mentioned this game in a Poem-but he could have meant Hurling as well.According to him a prototypical version of football seems to have been played in Northern Dublin Meath and Louth.Eight men per side were fighting for control over a Ball.Literally-Macuartha mentions free for all Wrestling matches as not being against the rules.this game lasted a whole afternoon. Hopefully more information is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

The Irish Independent last weekend published a special supplement devoted to the late Con Houlihan. The Great man seemed to have a great love for NCD and the supplement included writings on Skerries, Rush and Swords in Con's unique style. In his Essay on Rush, Con mentions that a very well know poem was wrote about Gaelic football played in the area in the 1800s. Does anyone(LeoB) know what poem he was referring to?

I have heard 2 songs the first is East of Eden written by aMr. Matthews possibly in the 40s. East of Eden is to tune of The wearing of the green

There's a seaside town in Eireann
    Growing day by Day
    Its on the eastern coastline
    and its facing towards Lambay
    Its there they grow the best of crops
    potatoes and the wheat

The words were published in Rush community news a good few years ago and as far as I know one of the men, Paud Flynn on the videos about Rush done by Fingal CC supplied the words
    bucaneer wrote: »
    Hi Cardinal.
    I read that piece,it was brilliant as usual from Con.I done a quick search about the Poem.I came across this,Seamus Dall Macuartha in 1670 Mentioned this game in a Poem-but he could have meant Hurling as well.According to him a prototypical version of football seems to have been played in Northern Dublin Meath and Louth.Eight men per side were fighting for control over a Ball.Literally-Macuartha mentions free for all Wrestling matches as not being against the rules.this game lasted a whole afternoon. Hopefully more information is available.

This could be the second song which I heard sang about 20-25 years ago by Pat butsy Butterly the coal man. Some older Rush people might have the words of it. He sang it at a mass well after the mass in St. Maurs. There was reference to Skerries and Lusk in it. It was previoulsy written games did take place between local villages going back to 1700's long before we had G.A.A. Similar to Point to Point races. Games played with a goal in each townland where as the point to point was often from church steeple to church steeple.

I also seem to remember Molly Devine from the park road singing "The shores of my lovely Loughshinny" on R.T.E during the afternoon show with Ann O'Dwyer that must be 30 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cosgroves Chipper

BIG MICK.jpg

Photo of my Great Grandparents - Michael Kane (commonly known as "Big Mick" around Rush)and Mary Kane (nee Ormonde)
    Michael Kane was a RIC officer in Rush - father of Tom "Dixie" Kane and Kathleen Cosgrove (nee Kane)

The Michael Kane mentioned as a pensioner in Porter's 1912 guide to North Co Dublin directory of Rush.

Toms Wedding.jpg

Tom Kane's Wedding 1941

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ceadnus

Does anyone know if the Annie Thorne that died in 1979 and is buried in Whitestown is the same woman who lived in Sandy Lane and used to let out the old cottage that was next door to her? We stayed in the old cottage in 1971 before it was modernised. I was a kid at the time. She used to give us tomatoes out of the glasshouse and told us that the cottage was from famine times.

Hi all
    This is my first time to put an attachment on the board,I hope it works:D. This is my Gr Gr Grandfathers brother Nicholas Leonard's Ticket as a fisherman.I have a few more of these from rush if people would like them put on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pacj

Is this the same Nicholas that was married to Eleanor Kain.

Hi Pacj
    Yes it was.They married on the 20th June 1810.he died on the 4th April 1868 she died 15th feb 1843.

this is Nicholas Leonards Death cert

• Advertisement

here is a copy of the census of 1860 in boston of Nicholas Leonard's son Richard and his family. Also a notice of his death from an accident in boston Harbour

This is a page from Thoms directory 1868 for Rush and Lusk.I wonder if many of the names here are still in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Wow! A lot of those names still in the Rush, Lusk & Skerries areas still. Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

i've had to delete the last image posted as there would have been possible copyright issues. Best if you could post a link to that site.

Ta,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

This is a crew list of a fishing vessel named Kite in 1881 which seemed to work between Rush and Peel in the Isle of Mann

Interesting, the Owners name is Michael Foley of Rush. I would assume part of the Foley family from Lower Main St,/ Kilbush, Michael, is a recurring name, in the Family

Crew members,Surnames,Leonard, Beashol ( how is that spelt now ) Hoare, Cosgrove and Connolly, all Rush Names, presumably Neighbours who worked the ship.

The names here are Thomas Keane Patrick Knight and Joseph Leonard

Great, Complexion descriptions.

Thomas Keane...Sallow

Patrick Knight...Swarthy

Joseph Leonard...Dark

Nicholas Leonard..Fresh

How does your passport read?? Beats eye colour

they had a way with words then

Or another-way

Sallow.......Just signed on

Fresh, Apprentice, less than 3mths at sea

Swarthy...maturing.......couple of years experience

Dark,.... experienced sailor,

More like it LOL. One thing certain going out in the Irish sea to the Isle of Mann and wherever in a 20 ton sail boat took some doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Pacj

Hi all
    This is my first time to put an attachment on the board,I hope it works:D. This is my Gr Gr Grandfathers brother Nicholas Leonard's Ticket as a fisherman.I have a few more of these from rush if people would like them put on here.

What was your gr gr gr grandads name ? Nicholas was mine.
    Is there a link for the Tickets.

Hi Pacj
    My gr gr gr grandparents were John Leonard and Bridget Connor.My gr gr Grandparents were John Leonard he was born in April 1800 and Margaret Madden.They were boat owners and merchants in Rush also Grocer Spirit and wholesale Lyng merchants in Marlborough street in Dublin.He died in 1862 and Margaret died in 1887.Both are buried in Glasnevin Cemetery He had at least 6 brothers and as far as I can find out no sisters.One of his Brothers Nicholas was born in 1787.

Tickets are from Find my past uk.it is a pay as you go or subscription site.I can search for you if you wish it will be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stevekae86

Just after reading this thread from the start after googling rush history. This thread is the reason I joined boards so hello fellow rush men and ladies:)

I am trying to find out some info on my family like many others and cant seem to find any!! Im from a very small family it seems. Anyways my surname is Kean from sandy road, grandfather was michael Kean married to terri kean. My grandfathers sister was the actress marie kean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Kean

some of you may know her or my grandfather and be able to give me some help....any info be fantastic!! thanks for the great read lads,
    Steve

Hi Steve
    Im not from Rush Myself, but I have just seen your post and done a quick search on find my past uk. This is an ID card of a Thomas Keane Born in Rush in 1892.Im not sure if he is related to you or not.

This is Id of Thomas Keane born in Rush in 1902

martinn123 wrote: »
    Interesting, the Owners name is Michael Foley of Rush. I would assume part of the Foley family from Lower Main St,/ Kilbush, Michael, is a recurring name, in the Family

Crew members,Surnames,Leonard, Beashol ( how is that spelt now ) Hoare, Cosgrove and Connolly, all Rush Names, presumably Neighbours who worked the ship.

Oh, haven't been on in a while - can anyone post the link to the above information? I see a Cosgrove mentioned

This is a transcription of the crew list from the fishing vessel kite.
    It is from find my past uk

Hi Bucaneer,

Thanks so much for the link. Is there any way you could email me a copy of the original document. I have signed up to Ancestry.co.uk for the year and I haven't come across this information. If there is anything I can search for or look up for you on ancestry.co.uk for you please let me know.

• Advertisement

Hi Chipper I have sent you on my email address.if you email me I will send on the original.

Advertisement