Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

One thing I don't like is how we do everything sorta half arsed. For instance, when America does something, it's done to the nth degree. A real "can do" attitude.

Over here were like, slap it together, it barely works but hey, that's that problem patched up for a year or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Judging by this thread, "our" inability to spot irony/hypocrisy...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

owenc wrote: »
    I speak normal not gibberish.:rolleyes: If i spoke gibberish how did you answer me.

I had to ignore the words that didn't make any sense and put great effort into untangling the rest of the nonsense. I'm still not sure I understood what a lot of the gobbledigook was but I suppose that's the risk you take when you post made-up words.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dudess wrote: »
    The people who ring Joe Duffy... are the opposite to bleeding hearts.
    I actually took you up wrong!! I thought it an oxymoron to have a whinge on a forum about people who have a whinge on the radio!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lazyQuestions

i hate irish people and others who say "thats so irish", very fckin annoyin. 99% of the time there is nothing atall irish about whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Riddickcule

Only in Ireland would people be complaining about complaining!

Lets see, the fear of change in our systems (education, politics etc.) the sheer hypocrasy such as a guy who "hates the english" when he's wearing a Chelsea shirt. :rolleyes:
    The sheep-like imitation of the "Anglo Saxon" model over the last 15 years. The GAA. The love affair with Sky Sports enhanced Premier League, emptying Irish pockets since 1992. Barstoolers. Bandwagonism. Event Junkies. Lack of proper reason for not supporting a LOI team. Catholicism, still they have control of 90% of our schools. Disgusting. We consider Colin Farrell and Bono "National Icons", :confused::confused:what about James Joyce, Oscar Wilde, Seamus Heaney??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

They're accents, seen them up in bushmills today you should've heard them, first of all its not portbalintra its portbalintray... and secondly its not tree its three!

lol at this post..
    You'd swear this was a loyalist forum. Full of middle class pussys who are too scared to stand up for their own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    lol at this post..
    You'd swear this was a loyalist forum. Full of middle class pussys who are too scared to stand up for their own people.
    in fairness, you would want to be a right "pussy" to be offended by that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    lol at this post..

Your very rude to me and i'm not happy after what you said to me on that other forum. Sorry to everyone for causing such a mess on this, continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

"That's so Irish :rolleyes:"
    "Only in Ireland :rolleyes:"
    "We should do that.....oh, wait this is Ireland :rolleyes:"

Yes, usually said as they roll their eyes

Such self hate in this place and on boards too.

What I also hate is people saying our national flag is Green, White and Gold, are people colour blind? When they interview soccer fans outside a stadium you hear this a lot
    Michael McDowell was saying something about the other day on July 12th, how orange was part of our flag.
    The texters into the Matt Cooper show were screaming it was gold, where do they get gold from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Since the whole country fell into the shítter Id say what i hate most is the realization that we are a nation of gombeen capitalists who will do almost anything for the mighty euro. Pure and unrestrained greed has brought us to the brink of bankruptcy.
    Then you realize that people from the US, to Portuguese, to Italians and maybe one or two Greeks could say the exact same thing about their compatriots. People are people the world over I suppose. Its just some countries have a higher quota of gombeens than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I actually took you up wrong!! I thought it an oxymoron to have a whinge on a forum about people who have a whinge on the radio!!

Oxymoron? Is that someone who continuously goes to a festival in Punchestown year on year without considering the quality of lineup?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Mak_United wrote: »
    Then why post as if Irish are bottom of the food chain?

Care to explain? :rolleyes: I take it your on about the post were he says he is Irish born and bred? Yea i just read the first post > Quoted > replied > post > exit.

Btw i'm Irish/British/American/Scottish/Chinese/Italian/Spanish born and bred.

I will explain that you are a racist so-and-so...no better than any English to the Irish in the 1950s in the UK. In fact it's very lucky the British treat Irish so well considering so many of us have to work there due to incompetence and corruption in our home country. As somebody who works for a formerly British company I am happy to take the Queen's money...which is a lot more than than I would get from the scabby Irish companies.

HIS COMMENTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH WHERE HE IS FROM NOR DOES HE HAVE TO EXPLAIN HIS BACKGROUND TO VALIDATE OR INVALIDATE HIS POINT!

The greatest patriots have a critical eye on their home countries, the biggest cowards are the ones who shout drunken anthems in bars at the end of the night. But let me guess, you are Spanish when talking to Spanish people, and Italian when in Italy :)

Mak_United wrote: »
    I take it your English yea?

In your other thread about history and the English language i kinda of felt sorry for you when people were giving you a hard time because it was a base for a good discussion.

Now this thread bites the biscuit. Your looking for an argument.

Go away please.

That annoys me aswell...living in Asia nobody even knows what is Ireland..maybe some place in England..and when you tell them what Ireland is they still don't give a toss!

THEY DON'T GIVE A FLYING F$%K

Especially when they learn it's cold and rains half the year and there's no luxury brands and famous chocolate or famous stuff at all really (excepting Riverdance) :) . It used to annoy me a bit and then I realised hell...what's it matter...a person is a lot more than where he was accidentally born into.

Proud to be Irish but not proud of Ireland (if that makes any sense).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

in fairness, you would want to be a right "pussy" to be offended by that

:rolleyes:
    I wasnt offended, just amused by the way he said 'their accents'. As if this was a foreign forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The obsession and hype some Irish have with Irish rugby and how we all must love Irish rugby. I got an infraction on this site for simply supporting a French team, they were so sensitive it was deemed a breach of the peace so I stopped posting on the rugby section as I hadn't tried to breach the peace.....

I hate how people who are well connected usually never end up having the same rules applies to them, we can have people who are responsible for the economic downturn/recession/depression and nothing is done or it takes too long for something to be done.

I hate our tribunals which simply appear to be a money making scheme for overpaid senior counsel, junior counsel and barristers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'm sure the following issues aren't exclusive to Ireland, I'm just going to talk about what I've seen as prominent within Irish society:

People living in their ivory tower, claiming to be all for something, until the issue arrives on their front door step.

The culture of nepotism in this country, where people like to brag about how they're self made when in reality, they walked straight into a handy number from college because of the people they know. This isn't begrudging, this is about paying your dues like the rest of us "ordinary plebs".

The insincerity of some Irish people. I don't want you to be one of those rude idiots who like to think "they're telling it like it is" when in reality they're just *****. But seriously, how you can brown nose people and lie to their face while keeping a straight face is beyond me. Well done really.

People who go on about being a Sinn Fein or Fianna Fail "family" for generations and who will vote for SF or FF solely on this basis. No wonder we're ****ed more so than other countries when you have clowns like this living in Ireland.

I think that's enough for now.
    Those ****ers annoy the **** out of me.
    Brainless drones who can't make their own choices.

OMG i'm gonna have a canary if someone says nartharn narian or norn iron again, THAT IS BELFAST we don't have that filthy accent here, i can't stick it when someone puts me under that bracket!:mad::mad:
    Not fond of generalisations then?
    tree fiddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

Also the ''It'll be grand'' attitude is a bit frustrating. There are things worth fighting for, and I'm not on about love. Whether it be the government taking advantage, or even a personal issue, we shouldn't just let things occur if we're able to change it.

I agree with you there and also the whole "lets move on", "we are where we are" attitude people have when you complain about the government and the things they are doing to ordinary people during this resession.

The government are getting away with blue murder now trying to gather money to pay for the banking/government mess. But if you say anything about it you'll get the "sure the country's broke", "we are where we are" "lets move on" response.

If someone is responsible.... "lets not f*****g move on".... lets lay responsibility where it belongs:mad:

changes wrote: »
    I agree with you there and also the whole "lets move on", "we are where we are" attitude people have when you complain about the government and the things they are doing to ordinary people during this resession.

The government are getting away with blue murder now trying to gather money to pay for the banking/government mess. But if you say anything about it you'll get the "sure the country's broke", "we are where we are" "lets move on" response.

If someone is responsible.... "lets not f*****g move on".... lets lay responsibility where it belongs:mad:

I agree, it would be better to do nothing and become Greece. How dare the government try and raise the sinking ship.

I don't hate anything about the Irish as a nation - but every nation has it's own sub cultures that let the country down.

The scumbags and their like that beat that poor Italian student to a pulp in Fairview Park a few years back and left him wheelchair bound and brain damaged.

The gangland culture that affects Limerick and Dublin and the innocents that get killed in the crossfire (Roy Collins for example)

The paramilitary underworld that is still alive and kneecapping in the North.

But it happens in all countries - I'm just glad I'm not from Afghanistan.

Actually it doesn't happen in all countries..certainly doesn't tend to happen in North Asia. It's cultural too of course.

And I hate the 'sure it happens everywhere' excuse. In fact it didn't use to happen in Ireland, at least not the same level of thuggery and violence...but Irish like you started making excuses for incompetent law enforcement. You don't see the Yanks doing that..3 strikes and you're out. Corporate fraud..go to jail for life. Local sheriffs voted to deal with local issues to get the job done. Proper law enforcement there

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    I agree, it would be better to do nothing and become Greece. How dare the government try and raise the sinking ship.

If you don't face the problem and rectify it head on it comes back to bite you in the ass...1950s..1980s...2000s...notice a pattern! The British kicked up a massive stink over their MPs taking expenses..massive..here it's like 'shure there all it, what can you do'. But they'll go out and parade when their non-means tested old age pension and medical card has even a hint of being cut.

Loads of me-feiners (and yes it exists in other countries but it is not an excuse).

ignorance and a lack of respect in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

MultiUmm wrote: »
    I hate how insecure Irish people are about themselves, which this thread illustrates nicely.

The parish mentality is something that does bug me though. The whole fúcking place should not know your business and gossip endlessly. :rolleyes: "Brenda down the road is splitting up, SCANDAL" :rolleyes: Also, with this parish mentality I find it can be very cliquish. If you're not into GAA in a small town God forbid.

God forbid what? ive never heard of anyone being lynched in small town for not being into the GAA.

Tut tut tut........ such drivel........You read it as you like then and ignore my words:rolleyes:

My post is about not accepting responsibility. We can do both, we can fix the country and apportion blame where is should be apportioned, they are not mutually exclusive. But these people (just as you appear to be doing) are using it to stifle complaint and avoid accepting any responsibility..

maninasia wrote: »
    If you don't face the problem and rectify it head on it comes back to bite you in the ass...1950s..1980s...2000s...notice a pattern! The British kicked up a massive stink over their MPs taking expenses..massive..here it's like 'shure there all it, what can you do'. But they'll go out and parade when their non-means tested old age pension and medical card has even a hint of being cut.

Loads of me-feiners (and yes it exists in other countries but it is not an excuse).

Oh I agree with dealing with the problem head on, I was being sarcastic in that other post when I said I agree.

Yes, loads of me-feiners, I don't mind taking a cut in what I get paid if I can see it is a means to an end, on that I think Brian Lenihan is probably the most capable politician in the Dáil and he does get my approval.

changes wrote: »
    Tut tut tut........ such drivel........You read it as you like then and ignore my words:rolleyes:

My post is about not accepting responsibility. We can do both, we can fix the country and apportion blame where is should be apportioned, they are not mutually exclusive. But these people (just as you appear to be doing) are using it to stifle complaint and avoid accepting any responsibility..

Isn't that what is being done?
    However it is not great when you have the Gardai saying some people involved in shady dealings as in the Anglo Irish bank case should not be charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

You really wouldn't

What would you know? :confused:

People from the border counties and parts of dublin would prob recognise this......

A sunday drinking in a pub that has sky sports on all day showing the premership and then a rebel band on that night.

You get to see some roughneck republicans nearly crying because man utd or liverpool got beat (they may never have been to liverpool or manchester) then 5 or 6 hours later they are jumping about and singing republican songs cursing everything british..... laughable if it wasn't so sad!

However it is not great when you have the Gardai saying some people involved in shady dealings as in the Anglo Irish bank case should not be charged.

Thats it and its madness, also ordinary people can get slung into mountjoy for not paying dog licences and TV licenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

maninasia wrote: »
    Actually it doesn't happen in all countries..certainly doesn't tend to happen in North Asia. It's cultural too of course.

And I hate the 'sure it happens everywhere' excuse. In fact it didn't use to happen in Ireland, at least not the same level of thuggery and violence...but Irish like you started making excuses for incompetent law enforcement. You don't see the Yanks doing that..3 strikes and you're out. Corporate fraud..go to jail for life. Local sheriffs voted to
    deal with local issues to get the job done. Proper law enforcement there

this post beggars belief.

what i don't like is the fact we're too forgiving.

*or maybe its apathy...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement