Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate about Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

caseyann wrote: »
    Nope thats not as Irish people ;) thats as people :D

ah :D go on has to be something, we won't tell anyone honest, your secret is safe with us ;) how about the way we moan about the weather?

That really bugs me, we are blessed with the weather we have imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I hate the fact that Irish people are so opposed to success and if someone thinks that you are better than them in some way they will automatically try shut you out. Begrudgery and reverse snobbery.

I hate the way as a people we have let ourselves just go and we don't have such a great sense of fashion or looking after our bodys. Irish men and women are quite attractive but don't really try to keep fit and look after our bodys properly compared to Eastern Europeans who are more fitness inclined.

I hate the way people here allow the government to screw them in ass and only bend over and asks for more. In any other country the scumbags in charge here would be ousted by the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Wagon wrote: »
    The irish are famous for being pissed drunk and "having the craic".
    The french are famous for being up their own arses.
    The italians are famous for being pig ignorant and shouting a lot.
    The americans are famous for being stupid.
    The germans are famous for having no sense of humour.
    The russians are famous for being alcoholics.
    The argentinians are famous for the sleaze.

As far as that list goes I think we have come out ahead. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Stinicker wrote: »
    I hate the fact that Irish people are so opposed to success and if someone thinks that you are better than them in some way they will automatically try shut you out. Begrudgery and reverse snobbery.

I hate the way as a people we have let ourselves just go and we don't have such a great sense of fashion or looking after our bodys. Irish men and women are quite attractive but don't really try to keep fit and look after our bodys properly compared to Eastern Europeans who are more fitness inclined.

I hate the way people here allow the government to screw them in ass and only bend over and asks for more. In any other country the scumbags in charge here would be ousted by the people.

i agree with everything you said except this. at least we're not vain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

The things you all seem to hate about Irish people are typical of all people regardless of race or nationality. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

OPENROAD wrote: »
    ah :D go on has to be something, we won't tell anyone honest, your secret is safe with us ;) how about the way we moan about the weather?

That really bugs me, we are blessed with the weather we have imo.

Never moan about a thing,if i dont like something its because of a person not a nationality :D

I cant start saying what i like or else its off topic :P

Stinicker wrote: »

Speak for yourself,I dress hot and so does all my friends and so does all my cousins and family.Also we all keep fit and all attractive.:o and great fashion sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It would be easier to list the things I like...because it would be nice and short.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

The things you all seem to hate about Irish people are typical of all people regardless of race or nationality. :(

i agree. it just seems to be more obvious here because we're on an island

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I hate how insecure Irish people are about themselves, which this thread illustrates nicely.

The parish mentality is something that does bug me though. The whole fúcking place should not know your business and gossip endlessly. :rolleyes: "Brenda down the road is splitting up, SCANDAL" :rolleyes: Also, with this parish mentality I find it can be very cliquish. If you're not into GAA in a small town God forbid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Speak for yourself,I dress hot and so does all my friends and so does all my cousins and family.Also we all keep fit and all attractive.:o and great fashion sense.

I can hear that horn tooting all the way from down here.

:P

MultiUmm wrote: »
    I can hear that horn tooting all the way from down here.

:P

If you dont blow your own horn who will :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

You know the drill.....

Pics or GTFO! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

i dont like something its because of a person not a nationality :D

Spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I hate when Irish people say things like "sure everyone loves us" or "everyone wants to be Irish". No they dont and its fcukin embarrassing.
    A lot of people on this thread are moaning about the thread being self critical. The ability of Irish people to be self deprecating is actually one of our strong points. Arrogance is never an admirable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I don't hate anything about the Irish as a nation - but every nation has it's own sub cultures that let the country down.

The scumbags and their like that beat that poor Italian student to a pulp in Fairview Park a few years back and left him wheelchair bound and brain damaged.

The gangland culture that affects Limerick and Dublin and the innocents that get killed in the crossfire (Roy Collins for example)

The paramilitary underworld that is still alive and kneecapping in the North.

But it happens in all countries - I'm just glad I'm not from Afghanistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

The general self-loathing and shame for Ireland's past.

The way that anything that is new and not from ireland is readily accepted here in order to cover up what is percieved as a flawed past. it was especially apparent in the celtic tiger days. as soon as people could afford it they would get rid of everything that was old and replace it with exactly the opposite just for the sake of change.

people used to be more easy going, carefree and relaxed and now a lot of them have become more pedantic about doing everything by the book and are generally more hostile towards those around them. also more busy and impatient.

even 5 years ago i could just leave a bag at the train station and ask them to mind it. it was nothing unusual for them, but try it now and they are afraid you're trying to bomb the place and there are probably policies that they are made stick to now.

any new american or british tv show, music, or a gimmick like the iphone seems to be more readily soaked up here than in the place it came from because irish people hate themselves and they hate ireland for being 'backwards'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What I hate is other countries trying to do our accent! First of all, Ireland has so many accents that ya could go 5 miles down the road and find a different one and second, honestly, even with our many accents, majority of fake ones, I've never heard!

Oh, something I dislike about Ireland...the government :p and their inability to successfully run a country :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,202 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

sup_dude wrote: »
    What I hate is other countries trying to do our accent! First of all, Ireland has so many accents that ya could go 5 miles down the road and find a different one and second, honestly, even with our many accents, majority of fake ones, I've never heard!

Oh, something I dislike about Ireland...the government :p and their inability to successfully run a country :pac:

Most countries have a variety of accents. having said that, irish accents in american films are often shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

We're lazy, never on time for anything and moan about everything but do nothing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Mickeroo wrote: »
    irish accents in american films are often shocking.

Exactly! Once watched The Jackal where Richard Gere was attempting an Irish accent and we actually spent most of the movie trying to figure out what accent it was. We settled on Scottish, only to be proven wrong at the end of the movie..

Oh i forgot to add in my last post, we are never happy with the weather. "It's too rainy for hay, it's too dry for the grass to grow so we can get hay" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Begrudgery is a problem but I don't know if it is any worse than anytime else.

It isn't a nice characteristic, but perfectly understandable, given some of the knobheads of the last decade who thought they made it big.

Begrudgery I thought had reduced in the late 90's/early 00's, but rose again in correlation with the property bubble. Think it has started to drop again and will keep dropping when we get back to the idea of real wealth, not pyramid schemes driven by people who believe property always goes up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

Dudess wrote: »
    That's called an oxymoron.

nah i dont think i contradicted myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Most people said already, we hate it when certain things happen, but all we do is complain about it and do nothing but sit back.

Also the ''It'll be grand'' attitude is a bit frustrating. There are things worth fighting for, and I'm not on about love. Whether it be the government taking advantage, or even a personal issue, we shouldn't just let things occur if we're able to change it.

Finally, we're hypocrites. We might hear of a story of a scumbag and people saying 'I hope this, that and the other happens to him'. Then if someone does something to him, that other person is then considered as scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

The G.A.A crowd. I used to work in a bar and they were the worst crowd to deal with. I hated working Sundays.

Who are the G.A.A "crowd"? That would include 90% of the population of my town, and I've never, ever, ever seen them cause trouble.

You should try dealing with a few soccer hooligans sometime. Head along to a Milan derby or serve in a bar full of Millwall suppoters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Who are the G.A.A "crowd"? That would include 90% of the population of my town, and I've never, ever, ever seen them cause trouble.

You should try dealing with a few soccer hooligans sometime. Head along to a Milan derby or serve in a bar full of Millwall suppoters.

The G.A.A crowd would be the fans of G.A.A that I had to deal with. They were the roughest and messiest fans of the sports that were shown in the bar. Your town could be fantastic G.A.A supporters but I go by what I've experienced myself.

Maybe I should go to a Louth v Meath match and my opinion maybe put straight. Just kidding. :D

The title says Irish people that is why I didn't say anything about English hooligans.

The G.A.A crowd would be the fans of G.A.A that I had to deal with. They were the roughest and messiest fans of the sports that were shown in the bar. Your town could be fantastic G.A.A supporters but I go by what I've experienced myself.

Maybe I should go to a Louth v Meath match and my opinion maybe put straight. Just kidding. :D

The title says Irish people that is why I didn't say anything about English hooligans.

Was this around Croke Park?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

K-9 wrote: »
    Was this around Croke Park?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Our faces.

• Advertisement

No.

Dublin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement