Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The Minister was on the Pat Kenny show this morning and listed this road and two others (i think) as being priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    The Minister was on the Pat Kenny show this morning and listed this road and two others (i think) as being priorities.

The Radio Interview (scroll down to the first podcast).

The Interview is 34mins in length - about 30mins of that relates to transport!

Regarding Roads:

Repair of Local and Regional Roads as part of jobs initiative to be announced next Tuesday.

The A5 is of matter of agreement between the North and Republic and would be paid for from a different fund - not under Leo's remit.

He wants to see progress on:
    N11 A to R and N7 NX PPP
    M17/N18 Gort to Tuam PPP
    New Ross Bypass PPP
    State's PPP difficulties in financing.

Hopes to do N8/N25 Dunkettle Interchange in the course of this government

Some other interesting things - (This is OT):

Leo would not like Aer Lingus to be taken over by Ryanair - I don't think it would be a good thing either - a monopoly is rarely a good thing - he does speak well of Ryanair though and I for one think that Ryanair has had a positive affect overall in Irish air travel. He would like fewer airports and a continued rationalization of our marine ports.

Regarding Public Transport:

Privatization of existing CIE transport is not currently on the agenda, but supports private bus services.

Wants the DART rail link to Airport considered as an option, but didn't speak very highly of it - it would take DART trains away from existing services and wouldn't serve the people of Dublin properly.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Im actually in 2 minds about whether i want this done or not, of course i'd like a better road without tailbacks (I commute on this stretch) but tbh i'd prefer them to leave it alone rather than have to pay a toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Personally find it difficult to see how this section or Newands X could be effectively tolled. In any event, is the DC not a completely new road for this section with the old N11 reverting to an R road?

It's fairly irrelevant as a small PPP like this in Ireland is unlikely to receive any positive attention from non Irish investors for a significant number if years. They are only of interest to international investors if priced in Euro and there would have to b a significant FX risk on a potential departure. I don't think this is at all likely but it is another factor which decreases attractiveness especially when other similar opportunities are available outside Ireland. Irish banks are in deleveraging/contraction mode so I don't see them as substantial finders. EIB could provide some but hard to see it going alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

This is fantasy from Leo. This side of the inevitable debt restructure/default no investor with a brain will get involved in a PPP :D

(Though as we saw in the property bubble there are lots of investors with no brains....so maybe...who knows? )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

another crash on it this week, north bound car rear ended by the look of it, just at the last straight bit before the bend where you see the beehive, last wed morning about 8:30, no serious injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

Another crash this morning...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/crash-blocks-n11-508814.html
    13/06/2011 - 11:01:34
    The N11 Dublin to Wexford Road is closed in both directions, north of the Arklow Bypass, following a crash between a truck and a car.

Traffic has been diverted via the coast road but two lorries are blocking the road.

Cars and other small vehicles can divert via Red Cross but this route is not suitable for HGVs.

Traffic is very heavy in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The NRA have left the most dangerous part of the N11 unfinished. We can expect to see much more deaths before this road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    The NRA have left the most dangerous part of the N11 unfinished. We can expect to see much more deaths before this road.

The NRA haven't - government have by not authorising funding for it during the YEARS that it has had planning permission and CPOed land.

Its ready to go to construction in the morning - and has been for some time.

Got this re arklow/rathnew from the minister
    Dear Jd,

The NRA are currently pursuing whether this can get PPP funding. Because of its relatively small size they are somewhat hopeful that it can.

Yours sincerely,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

According to the Wicklow People (A fine journalistic source, I'm sure), BAM and Balfour Beatty have now tendered to construct this stretch of motorway, and have been successful. Construction should hopefully begin next year if all goes well.
    A CONTRACTOR HAS BEEN appointed to carry out the long awaited N11 upgrade works.

The extensive project is vital for road safety along the route which has seen traffic levels more than double in the last decade.

The National Roads Authority notified Wicklow County Council this week that the tender submitted by BAM PPP & Balfour Beatty Capital Ltd. has been successful and that funding is to be sought later this year.

Wicklow County Council was informed that ' tenders were received on the basis of an Authority Term Sheet. In order to progress to financial close BAM Balfour Beatty will have to secure funders through a market search or a Preferred Tenderer funding selection process. Engagement with prospective funders will commence later this summer'.

A date is not yet scheduled for the contract to be awarded as it will depend on engagement with lenders.

Along with the Rathnew-Arklow improvement works, further projects to upgrade the N7 Newlands Cross Junction and to construct the N11 Gorey North Service area are to be included in the contract.

Speaking to the Wicklow People, Cllr. Pat Fitzgerald welcomed the move and described it as the ' last lap'.

'I very much welcome this news and although it has some way to go still, it is good news for the many motorists who use that road. The backlogs have been serious in recent times. While finance must still be secured it is positive that a company has been selected.'

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Finally. Hopefully there won't be any last minute pull-out now that the contractors have been appointed, or am I too optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Niles wrote: »
    Finally. Hopefully there won't be any last minute pull-out now that the contractors have been appointed, or am I too optimistic?

Way too optimistic in my view as it's wholly dependent on raising Market funding. Given the government's inability to directly source finds, it seems highly unlikely that Market funds will be made available for a project that has government support but not a government obligor. Not sure if this is just trying to test different waters or whether he has the money in his budget allocation as a fall back. Anyone know the tender price?

If it's reliant on true external funding, I can't see this as being at the tOp of the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

BAM also tendered for and secured the M17/M18 Gort to Tuam. I've no doubt that they're gung-ho to build as much as they can, but whether or not they'll get the backing is the question. They probably will for the N7 and M11, as these are small, heavily trafficked schemes which include one MSA; and as we know, MSAs are proving quite lucrative.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tremelo wrote: »
    BAM also tendered for and secured the M17/M18 Gort to Tuam. I've no doubt that they're gung-ho to build as much as they can, but whether or not they'll get the backing is the question. They probably will for the N7 and M11, as these are small, heavily trafficked schemes which include one MSA; and as we know, MSAs are proving quite lucrative.
    Also AFAIK the land for this has already been paid for, so that's out.
    Yep I'm confident this will happen; M17/18 is more difficult to foresee.

Just saw this
    http://www.cisireland.com/ProjectDescription.aspx?id=985

he N11 Arklow/Rathnew PPP Contract
    Project ID: 128978
    Date Last Updated: 12/07/2011
    Easting:
    Northing:
    Address: The N11 Arklow/Rathnew, Arklow
    County: Co. Wicklow
    Post code:
    Contract Stage: Main Contract Awarded
    Planning Stage: Planning Not Required
    Planning Documents:
    Planning Authority:
    Planning Reference No.:
    Application Date:
    Decision Date:
    Start Date: 01/09/2011
    Finish Date: 01/09/2013
    Period: 24 Months
    Floor Area:
    Site Area:
    Structures:
    Value: €180,000,000
    Funding Type: Public
    Units:
    Storeys:
    Car Parking:
    Construction Type: Civil Works

€180m? That seems like an awful lot, seeing as they've already bought all the land, I thought. No big rivers or considerable valleys on the route are there? Does that include Newlands Cross?

€180m? That seems like an awful lot, seeing as they've already bought all the land, I thought. No big rivers or considerable valleys on the route are there? Does that include Newlands Cross?

From the link

Marcus Bingham Contract comprises the following elements:

- The design, construction, operation, maintenance and financing of approximately 16.5 kilometres of dual carriageway linking the existing Arklow Bypass with the existing Rathnew/Ashford Bypass in Co. Wicklow, together with several kilometres of associated side roads and link roads.

- The design, construction and financing of the upgrading of the existing Newlands Cross N7 Naas Road / R113 Belgard/Fonthill Road at-grade junction to a grade-separated junction, resulting in the creation of an N7 overpass.

- The design, construction, operation, maintenance and financing of the N11 Gorey North Service Area.

- An additional 31km section of the existing N11 route (Arklow Bypass and Arklow-Gorey Bypass) will also form part of the Project Road and will be operated and maintained by the PPP Concession Co.

All such elements of work set out above are approximate only and may be reduced or added to by the Authority following dialogue with those Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the competition or otherwise at the Authority's absolute discretion. The Authority may also extend the operation and maintenance elements to include other parts of the national road network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

awful motorbike crash on this stretch of road tonight, the sooner they get this done the better

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It says it'll start on the 1st September - seems very soon! How did we go from "uncertain/long fingered/no money" to 1st Sep so fast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

spacetweek wrote: »
    Also AFAIK the land for this has already been paid for, so that's out.
    Yep I'm confident this will happen; M17/18 is more difficult to foresee.
    spacetweek wrote: »
    It says it'll start on the 1st September - seems very soon! How did we go from "uncertain/long fingered/no money" to 1st Sep so fast?

This was, like the M17/18 and N11 & N25 projects, supposed to be a PPP project.

So where has the €180 million come from for this and why is the M17/18 project estimated at €300m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Hold on a minute...
    jd wrote: »
    he N11 Arklow/Rathnew PPP Contract
    Project ID: 128978
    Date Last Updated: 12/07/2011
    Easting:
    Northing:
    Address: The N11 Arklow/Rathnew, Arklow
    County: Co. Wicklow
    Post code:
    Contract Stage: Main Contract Awarded
    Planning Stage: Planning Not Required
    Planning Documents:
    Planning Authority:
    Planning Reference No.:
    Application Date:
    Decision Date:
    Start Date: 01/09/2011
    Finish Date: 01/09/2013
    Period: 24 Months
    Floor Area:
    Site Area:
    Structures:
    Value: €180,000,000
    Funding Type: Public
    Units:
    Storeys:
    Car Parking:
    Construction Type: Civil Works

:eek::eek::eek:

Where indeed is the €180m coming from in terms of funding? The contract is for 2 years, so that's €90m P/A from the public purse. I know that the ECB were backing the M17/N18 Scheme - is this money being diverted - somehow I doubt it but I'm rather :confused::confused::confused: and in the process, clutching at straws.

What's going on??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Hold on a minute...

Where indeed is the €180m coming from in terms of funding? The contract is for 2 years, so that's €90m P/A from the public purse. I know that the ECB were backing the M17/N18 Scheme - is this money being diverted - somehow I doubt it but I'm rather :confused::confused::confused: and in the process, clutching at straws.

Indeed what's going on - this was PPP up until may
    From the history:
    08/07/2011 Contract Stage updated to Main Contract Awarded
    08/07/2011 Project Roles were updated
    08/07/2011 Funding is expected to be sought in late Summer 2011.
    08/07/2011 The contract is expected to be officially awarded once full funding has been secured for the project.
    08/07/2011 BAM PPP and Balfour Beatty Capital Limited have been identified as the successful tenderer for the project.
    13/05/2011 Funding Type updated to Public

From the description (which they apparently forgot to update):
    Marcus Bingham Contract comprises the following elements:

- The design, construction, operation, maintenance and financing of approximately 16.5 kilometres of dual carriageway linking the existing Arklow Bypass with the existing Rathnew/Ashford Bypass in Co. Wicklow, together with several kilometres of associated side roads and link roads.

- The design, construction and financing of the upgrading of the existing Newlands Cross N7 Naas Road / R113 Belgard/Fonthill Road at-grade junction to a grade-separated junction, resulting in the creation of an N7 overpass.

- The design, construction, operation, maintenance and financing of the N11 Gorey North Service Area.

- An additional 31km section of the existing N11 route (Arklow Bypass and Arklow-Gorey Bypass) will also form part of the Project Road and will be operated and maintained by the PPP Concession Co.

All such elements of work set out above are approximate only and may be reduced or added to by the Authority following dialogue with those Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the competition or otherwise at the Authority's absolute discretion. The Authority may also extend the operation and maintenance elements to include other parts of the national road network.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hold on a minute...

EIB not the ECB.

In theory we've got a few hundred million a year that had been allocated for interest and debt repayments and now isn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

MYOB wrote: »
    In theory we've got a few hundred million a year that had been allocated for interest and debt repayments and now isn't...
    In theory yes, in reality I dont think so. The savings from the reduced interest rate will probably negate the need to raise another 600m through tax increases rather than offset the need to cut capital expenditure. Government spending is too high compared to our tax take so I doubt this will affect the cuts.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    In theory yes, in reality I dont think so. The savings from the reduced interest rate will probably negate the need to raise another 600m through tax increases rather than offset the need to cut capital expenditure. Government spending is too high compared to our tax take so I doubt this will affect the cuts.

I believe they're tolling this road, so they must assume that they're going to earn the necessary money to pay it off eventually.

I believe they're tolling this road, so they must assume that they're going to earn the necessary money to pay it off eventually.

There's no solid plans to toll this - because there never was plans until the current kite flying exercise by Varadkar.

The only commercial element of the project was the operation of an MSA which has the ability to make good profits (particularly as this scheme bypasses the only online petrol station between Kilmacanogue and Camolin).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I'm going to be shot for saying this but I sometimes wonder whether or not the Gorey North service area is that big a priority, one can easily leave the M11 south of Arklow and use the service station at Inch, continue on to Tinnock and rejoin the M11 without the need to go into either Arklow or Gorey, traffic on the R772 (old N11) through Inch being light enough. If the funding is there fair enough, but even if the Rathnew-Arklow section could be done alone I'd be satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Niles wrote: »
    I'm going to be shot for saying this but I sometimes wonder whether or not the Gorey North service area is that big a priority, one can easily leave the M11 south of Arklow and use the service station at Inch, continue on to Tinnock and rejoin the M11 without the need to go into either Arklow or Gorey, traffic on the R772 (old N11) through Inch being light enough. If the funding is there fair enough, but even if the Rathnew-Arklow section could be done alone I'd be satisfied.

Wasn't this not the argument the NRA used so as to not provide service stations on the interurbans (M6 for example), the idea been that motorists would pull of motorway and use local services. It was shown to be a failure tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's a bit of a failure for the NRA to be building a NSA not on the M8/7 route first

However they did build 2 on the M1, one of which is less than 2km from an existing service station at the Courtlough junction

It's about 150m from the entrance of the service area to the motorway junction by road(and about 3m as the crow flies)

Advertisement