Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

jesus im dizzy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Sorry but what is the M11 GAP. newlands cross I know but the n11 gap i dont. can someone fill me in.

Going South, the Rathnew by-pass is motorway, then it is a a two lane road before you come to the Arklow-Gorey motorway section. This two lane road includes the notorious Ballinameesda Bends (google them)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

MotorwayMadness, great set of posts there.
    I presume the N11 gap is the section of road form the end of the Rathnew ByPass to the start of the Arklow ByPass, that's how I understood it anyway.
    I would be very happy to put up with the disruption of the upgrade of this section sooner rather than later.
    I've been driving the N11 daily since before the Arklow bypass but it was worth the disruption. The summer months driving through Arklow on a bank holiday weekend was painful and I used to regularly take the fridays off if I could rather than drive on the roads on the busiest days of the year.
    Same with the Ashford/Rathnew works. Now let's get rid of the final bottleneck and be done with it before I retire.
    I even remember before the Bray bypass when all traffic heading to the South East used to drive through Bray. It was madness.
    Your other comments about driver behaviour are spot on, so many people just have no regard for other users. I have regularly seen people stopped on the side of the motorway (illegal) and then pull out in to traffic in first gear causing others to swerve in to the overtaking lane to avoid one accident and nearly cause another. Why can't people merge properly when joining a motorway using a slip road, they just barge out in to the traffic at a ridiculously low speed and make everyone take evasive action. Traffic on the main road has right of way.
    What is it with some people that they try their damnest to prevent anyone from changing lanes. I've seen people nearly go in to the rear of the car ahead rather than let someone change over to the overtaking lane.
    Why do some people only get in to the left lane to take their next exit at the very last minute and the exit lane is nearly gone past.
    The list is as long as it is ridiculous, the term 'Motorway Madness' was not invented for nothing.
    (Ooops, gone off topic there . . . )

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Quadra

BAM Balfour Beatty and GASTA roads have been shortlisted for by the National Roads Authority for Ireland's Eu180 million N11 Arklow to Rathnew road PPP project.

Posted on May 18 at:

http://www.projectfinancemagazine.com/Article/2574874/Sectors-Transport/Two-through-to-BAFO-for-N11-road-PPP.html

...you need to subscribe to see more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gasta is

Global Via Infraestructuras S. A.
    Macquarie Capital Group Limited
    P.Elliott & Company Ltd
    Wills Bros Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Great, BAM, the slowest crowd in the world. Think their bit of the M9. Not what we need on Newlands. Get Wills on the job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did I not see elsewhere that GASTA also had Jons in it? Jons did the N4 Newcastle scheme - similar in terms of traffic management issues - and did it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Open for the Dublin influx in Summer 2012 - or is that too ambitious?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

PoolDude wrote: »

Too ambitious: Newlands start say Q1 2011 - it will take minimum two years and the NRA thinks closer to three.

PoolDude wrote: »
    Depending how they schedule the build maybe they can take out most of the bad, dangerous stretch fairly quickly? Has anyone a detailed map of the scheme?

• Advertisement

Oh...you folk are talking about the M11. That is possible..just about. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Wills will have done the M6 ballinsaloe ahhloane and N18 gort - crusheen and both in under two years but they may be facing into a quiet spell and in no mad rush to finish , that and the CBM needs laying when it ain't frosty.

Summer 2012, I don't think so. If it opened for the October bank holidy in 2012 it would be a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Too ambitious: Newlands start say Q1 2011 - it will take minimum two years and the NRA thinks closer to three.

The NRA thinks closer to three - but remember, all schemes (bar ones routed over bogs of doom) come in well ahead of the NRA's forecast these days. Makes 'em look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

How far is it behind Gort to Tuam and Arklow Rathnew in the PPP process? Personally I think a much smaller and more efficiently shaped bypass around the town would have done the job. The current proposal seems a bit extravagant given that the country is broke

Probably 6 months (guess??). It got delayed a bit cos New Ross was disconnected from it for a while as Sweetman had his little tirade in the courts. When he was sent out to pasture it was re-joined. Delayed pre-tendering by a bit.

Clearly the anti-roads folk are not too worried about the state of the country's finances!

Following the bypass wars in England (Swampy etc) they reckoned they could stop the development of an infrastructure here by "raising the cost" so that projects were abandoned.

This was a stated goal in the mid-90s when they started to camp out in the Glen of the Downs.

Sadly for them, the Celtic Tiger eventually overwhelmed them (after an appalling delay by the authorities) and it was them were spent into oblivion :D.

Re the N11 - the lesson of the M50 billions lost is that if you are going to do it, do it right. Now is a good time to build - not when the economy is over-heating again.

Which it will, some day. :cool:

From
    http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Government_Press_Office/Taoiseach%27s_Press_Releases_2010/Leaflet_-_Capital_Expenditure_Review.pdf

I presume this means the "N11 Gap" between Arklow and Rathnew will be completed. Possibly the Enniscorthy B y Pass as well,
    Continued investment in the
    remaining road networks will include
    completion of the major inter-urban
    routes, progression of the Atlantic
    Corridor, the N11, the cross-border
    route linking Dublin to Derry and
    Donegal and other strategic routes.

Thread split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

jd wrote: »
    From
    http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Government_Press_Office/Taoiseach%27s_Press_Releases_2010/Leaflet_-_Capital_Expenditure_Review.pdf

I presume this means the "N11 Gap" between Arklow and Rathnew will be completed. Possibly the Enniscorthy B y Pass as well,

Hopefully so as its one of the most dangerous stretches of road in the country.

Enniscorthy shouldnt be touched for now, the M11 gap and Newlands is the most important scheme in the country. No way that Enniscorthy should be given another thought until the M20 is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

No way that Enniscorthy should be given another thought until the M20 is done.

The Enniscorthy by-pass is being done with the New Ross by-pass as a single PPP to make to more attractive. So one can't be built without the other. Now these 2 towns are major bottlenecks, particularly for HGV's.

Normally when there is little cash around, a cheaper short-term alternative is given (i.e. relief roads) until the main by-pass can be done (like Mitchelstown). Unfortunately a relief road would be uneconomical due to the surrounding lay of the land, so only a main by-pass is the worth while.

These 2 towns are on 2 main routes , the N11(E01) Dublin to Rosslare and the N25 also to Rosslare. So the common theme here is Rosslare.

Please forgive me but I just don't see how 2 vital routes to one of the major ports to and from Europe is not more important than the M20 (though I do acknowledge that the M20 is really needed).

New Ross is needed I grant that, but Enniscorthy is only being done to make it a decent PPP package. There are far more deserving schemes out there :(

In hindsight, maybe a PPP package of Waterford and New Ross bypasses should have been done together. Two bridges in one scheme, would be better use of the bridge builders perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

New Ross is needed I grant that, but Enniscorthy is only being done to make it a decent PPP package. There are far more deserving schemes out there :(

In hindsight, maybe a PPP package of Waterford and New Ross bypasses should have been done together. Two bridges in one scheme, would be better use of the bridge builders perhaps??

I dont see why New Ross would be more deserving than Enniscorthy, Id imagine the n11 is a busier road.

Lads! I didn't spend four hours last week splitting the M11 threads so you could talk about the Enniscorthy Bypass in the Arklow-Rathnew thread. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Anybody got any new info on the status of the Rathnew to Arklow scheme?

The NRA will announce the contractor on 22 October and the contract will be signed in December, pending DoT approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

bad accident at the beehive,southgoing on friday morning, a megane in bits, didnt hear of any deaths, anyone hear anything. Hope to god they sort out that bit of road asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Murtinho wrote: »
    bad accident at the beehive,southgoing on friday morning, a megane in bits, didnt hear of any deaths, anyone hear anything. Hope to god they sort out that bit of road asap.

Drivers of both cars taken to hospital but no life threatening injuries. Tailbacks of traffic for miles in both directions and no right turn for northbound traffic at the Beehive. Sadly there are near misses at this junction on a daily basis as traffic tries to cross the N11. Hope the missing link begins soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

jesus, im amazzed the megane driver survived, says something about the safety of Renaults, for all their faults!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

lottpaul wrote: »
    Drivers of both cars taken to hospital but no life threatening injuries. Tailbacks of traffic for miles in both directions and no right turn for northbound traffic at the Beehive. Sadly there are near misses at this junction on a daily basis as traffic tries to cross the N11. Hope the missing link begins soon.

I'm always amazed that there aren't more accidents here when you consider the layout and location - a major crossroads approached by a fast sweeping bend form the north and a long wide fast stretch from the south. I constantly see cars pull out on to the road without stopping and without using the merging lanes and regularly see cars/trucks overtaking on the junction box.

It's gross negligence on the part of the authorities and government that this junction and stretch of road has not been corrected yet. While I know the current finances are dire, when times were good the allocation for here was misdirected elsewhere despite the number of deaths between the two by-passes.
    How many years has this been going on?

Advertisement