Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Finally a bit of pragmatism re road building, ie build stuff we actually need, for traffic which actually exists!

Refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

marathont wrote: »
    If this has been in planning for 20 years, why was it not done before now ? Is there something difficult about this particular stretch?

You could say the same about many of Ireland's infrastructure projects. We seem to be great at coming up with ideas and debating them, not so much when it comes to actually executing them.

Still, a bit of good news at last.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Is the Gorey service area included in this project?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Is the Gorey service area included in this project?

There doesn't appear to be any mention of it. IIRC the service area was to be somewhere in the vicinity of Inch, presumably that would be a separate project to the Rathnew-Arklow scheme but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

It's confirmed in Wexford People today that the Gorey Service area will be going ahead as part of this PPP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

jd wrote: »
    It's confirmed in Wexford People today that the Gorey Service area will be going ahead as part of this PPP.
    What do you means by Gorey service area?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,271 ✭✭✭✭L1011

iwo wrote: »
    What do you means by Gorey service area?

There will be a (single-sided with bridge) motorway service area built on the Gorey Bypass - North of Gorey - as part of this contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

EIS documentation on the Gorey service area can be seen here:
    http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/

See here for design:
    http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/file,15756,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4 andrewf10

dubhthach wrote: »
    EIS documentation on the Gorey service area can be seen here:
    http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/

See here for design:
    http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/file,15756,en.pdf

I don't get why there's a roundabout for northbound traffic entering the station (giving dozy people a chance to go in the wrong direction when exiting the station), why not have it like I've shown in the attached? Any ideas?

The reason I've seen written down for similar in the UK is to allow people who've forgotten something to go back in without having to go a massive distance down and back. All existing 6 MSAs have it too. Still not the most logical reason though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

MYOB wrote: »
    All existing 6 MSAs have it too. Still not the most logical reason though.

I don't think Enfield has?:confused:

Wild Bill wrote: »

Both sides enter with sliproads to a RAB and exit off the same RAB.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.41254&lon=-6.87876&zoom=17&layers=M

Both sides enter with sliproads to a RAB and exit off the same RAB.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.41254&lon=-6.87876&zoom=17&layers=M

What strange in this Gorey proposal is there appears to be two roundabouts, one quite close to actual DC, I would have thought the one would have been enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Wild Bill wrote: »

It does, east & west

The reason I've seen written down for similar in the UK is to allow people who've forgotten something to go back in without having to go a massive distance down and back. All existing 6 MSAs have it too. Still not the most logical reason though.

I thought MYOB was referring to an ability to U-turn at the MSAs. You can't do that at the Enfield one - no bridge. :confused:

But now I realize ye are talking about going back into the Service area! :D

I really must learn to pay attention......

Here is the linkie
    http://www.goreyguardian.ie/news/work-to-start-on-controversial-service-station-2974497.html

The article claims the service area is controversial and that there was a local campaign against it. Why was this? Surely it will employ local people when it's up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

dubhthach wrote: »
    The article claims the service area is controversial and that there was a local campaign against it. Why was this? Surely it will employ local people when it's up and running.
    The idea is that it will be the final nail in aul Inch and Ballyellen's coffin, as no one will even go in there to get petrol. That is, according to my cousin who's laughing at the protestors.

I'd imagine it will effect business at the petrol station/Londis at Inch, at the moment it's probably a convenient place for drivers to pull in without having to go into Arklow or Gorey. You do often see trucks pull in the southbound bus stop here. The only other establishment that I can think of being affected would be Toss Byrnes (though I'm not really sure if it would make much of a difference here).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I always object to Burger King being described as a restaurant :)

I always object to Burger King being described as a restaurant :)

It's going to be a Burger King? In that case I would use the term "restaurant" loosely myself, I suppose "fast food outlet" wouldn't sound as good. Though seeing as it's the one part of the M/N11 I rarely have reason to travel on (effectively bypasses me) I guess I've little need to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It'll be Burger King as far as I know, the same as the Enfield and M1 ones.

It'll be Burger King as far as I know, the same as the Enfield and M1 ones.

That'd most likely be reliant on BAM/BOI issuing "their" concession to SuperStop, although that would be fairly logical.

I still have nightmares about the BK I had in Enfield. I'd say I was their first customer in an hour - stodgefest.

In places like Germany and Belgium, the service area food is a good-quality buffet.

I wonder how viable it will be given the Enniscorthy by-pass won't be happening for a good while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I still have nightmares about the BK I had in Enfield. I'd say I was their first customer in an hour - stodgefest.

I suspect that a burger king would be a bit of a flop on the M11, that far south. At least the one on the M1 has commuters from Balbriggan, Drogheda and Dundalk.

It'd probably be better off building it in either Gorey or Arklow to begin with.. But of course, like everything in Ireland, someone will think "build it and they will come", and be surprised when no one does.

I wonder how viable it will be given the Enniscorthy by-pass won't be happening for a good while

Even without that there won't be a station between Camolin and Kilmac (there already isn't a 24hr station between Ferns and Kilmac) once the new scheme is built. It'll certainly be viable as a petrol station at least.

That's a good point. I suppose in for the immediate future it's really more of strategic value than anything else. I suppose there'll be some trade from lorries heading to Rosslare and the like, but can't imagine there being a huge amount of trade for the restaurant from casual motorists. The service station itself is probably viable enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Jayuu

The advantage of any motorway stop is that people know they can pull in to one of them and get all they need in the one go. So you're more likely to pull in to this place because if you go a bit further, while you might find a petrol station, there's no guarantee that you're going to be able to get food/coffee at it.

On the M1 there were a lot of people who said that the Lusk stop was too close to Dublin for people to want to stop there yet anytime I have pulled in there its been relatively busy. However I realise there probably is more traffic on this stretch of road than on the N/M11.

Advertisement