Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Furet wrote: »
    The NRA will announce the contractor on 22 October and the contract will be signed in December, pending DoT approval.
    Good to see this going ahead since there was so much talk there about the PPP process maybe not working out for us.

Chin up, soldiers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

spacetweek wrote: »
    Good to see this going ahead since there was so much talk there about the PPP process maybe not working out for us.

Chin up, soldiers!

My chin is up more in hope than expectation....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I hope this road is started and soon. There is a huge amount of accidents on this stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

spacetweek wrote: »

Chin up, soldiers!

So will we be hearing the perferred bidder today some time on this project????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

No press release today then..

• Advertisement

I've seen two major accidents through Kilmacanogue (N11) the past two weeks. Bad one this morning. Three cars and a tractor. At the service station exit which crosses the exit ramp southbound.

On the northbound side we have a bus terminus at the point where the on-slip-road meets another service station exit.

If you were to award designing roads to cause accidents this layout would win an Oscar. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Wild Bill wrote: »
    If you were to award designing roads to cause accidents this layout would win an Oscar. :mad:

But, according to you, traffic volumes rather than road safety should be the priority in improving roads, whereas in fact, safety should be the priority. However slow certain roads may be, at least people aren't being killed on them, unlike on this stretch.

Which is why, were it up to me to prioritise, this stretch of the M11 would get priority over the M17/18, even though the latter would suit me better. Noel Dempsey stated that safety was going to be the priority when deciding where to fund road-spending - but I don't see much evidence of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I've seen two major accidents through Kilmacanogue (N11) the past two weeks. Bad one this morning. Three cars and a tractor. At the service station exit which crosses the exit ramp southbound. :mad:

Say no more, absolute disgrace

serfboard wrote: »
    But, according to you, traffic volumes rather than road safety should be the priority in improving roads

Indeed, and I still do. No "but" applicable! What I was commenting on here is how a virtually new road was designed without any apparent regard for safety. Different thing.
    serfboard wrote: »
    Noel Dempsey stated that safety was going to be the priority when deciding where to fund road-spending - but I don't see much evidence of it.

Thankfully. As I have also said earlier Dempsey is the token twit in a Government of cynics.

And I'd cite me rather as providing further reasons, on grounds of congestion alone, the Kilmac (N11) section back to J14 (M50 Sandyford) could do with being upgraded.

The mess (newly built) at Kilmac actually causes daily congestion - and not only due to the accidents.

Who thought of putting a major bus terminus (Route 145) in the hard shoulder of an on-ramp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Road-Hog wrote: »
    So will we be hearing the perferred bidder today some time on this project????
    jd wrote: »
    No press release today then..

The NRA PPP department informed me the announcement would be made last Friday (22 October). Didn't happen. :o

• Advertisement

The NRA PPP department informed me the announcement would be made last Friday (22 October). Didn't happen. :o

I've sent a query in to the NRA (email) - no reply as of yet. Hope nothing is up with the PPP funding...

Rang again - announcement is "imminent". They hope to have approval by end of year and get scheme started early new year

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Any further updates JD?

PoolDude wrote: »
    Any further updates JD?

Well, it's a step up from Godot. Not only is it coming but it is permanently imminent. :cool:

PoolDude wrote: »
    Any further updates JD?

Vague :(
    show details 9 Nov (8 days ago)
    Dear jd,

Thank you for your email.

It is anticipated that the preferred tenderer for the Arklow to Rathnew scheme will be announced later this year.

Regards,

Programme Administrator

National Roads Authority, St. Martin's House,
    Waterloo Road, Dublin 4.
    Tel. 00 353 1 660 2511.

Looks like go ahead from dept of transport today

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=257
    What road projects will proceed in 2011?
    · NRA will go ahead with the planned 2011 starts and have adequate money for rehabilitation and minor works.
    · Starts include Belturbet / N5 Longford/ Tralee bypasses and the Cork Southern Ring Road junctions.
    · Two PPP projects will also start in 2011 - the M17/18 Gort – Tuam PPP and M11/Newlands Cross PPP bypasses.
    · Purchase of land for service areas and expressions of interest from developers

Good news if it does indeed start in 2011.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

How long will this take them to connect arklow with rathnew ? Omg this is sweet news!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

iwo wrote: »
    How long will this take them to connect arklow with rathnew ? Omg this is sweet news!

I have fifteen years to retirement, I might just still be around for the official opening. (The eternal sceptic)

iwo wrote: »

If started next year i would say 2-3 years max.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If started next year i would say 2-3 years max.

It could be done in 1.5 years if the contractor wanted. Thirteen kilometres of the M8 between Cahir and Cashel were delivered between May '06 to October '07. Arklow-Rathnew is a similar length with no bogs in the vicinity as far as I know.

Absolutely. The CPO is completed as far as I am aware and the council themselves have had a number of houses demolished. So I think its a straight forward civil works contract.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Land's bought, fenced and cleared in its entirity.

The only thing I could see that could delay it would be any work possibly required to divert roads off the path of the new one at each end (like what happened at the southern end of the M3)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Newlands is ready to go too, theres a ton of space on the south of the carriageway to put traffic while its built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

It could be done in 1.5 years if the contractor wanted. Thirteen kilometres of the M8 between Cahir and Cashel were delivered between May '06 to October '07. Arklow-Rathnew is a similar length with no bogs in the vicinity as far as I know.

There is a section of about 3km just to the north of Jack Whites Cross that passes over very boggy land and a small river but it's relatively small and hopefully will not present any problems. The local townland is called Togher (Tóchar in Irish means a causeway over a bog etc, so it's obviously not a new feature :))
    Otherwise the entire route has been fenced off, paid for, surveyed, sprayed etc for years now and is absolutely ready.

Two large ESB pylons are being built on either side of the N11 midway between The Tap and Jack Whites cross. Workers on site say they are to raise the ESB wires to a height to cross the new M11 overbridge at that junction and that when the job is done - wires connected etc - the contract etc for the M11 will be granted and work started. Seems these pylons are the only thing delaying the start. This will require a full closure of the N11 for at least a day - Wicklow Co Co are mentioning January 15th?
    Thing is, they then only have until March 1st (?) to start clearance work - nesting season etc - so theres a very tight schedule for a 2011 start.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There should be no hedge-impacting clearance work to be done, the land was cleared to grass and fenced ages ago.

In fact about six years ago!

While talking to the workmen it was they who mentioned the 1st March date - I know it was all cleared years ago and should be ready - unless there's been regrowth etc?
    I just don't want there to be another "excuse" for delays and I'm hoping it starts asap. Am sick and tired of queues at the Beehive and of traffic having to take crazy risks to cross the road at every junction from there to Scratnagh. :(

• Advertisement

Waiting for Godot........:mad:

Advertisement