Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suits - USA Network *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Is there some reason that Mike is not getting a Law Degree, from anywhere? the whole Harvard thing is a firm ploicy and as we've seen with Rachel something they could break.

But the lack of Law degree and BAR is a criminal offence. Surely they would try and rectify this?

One thing to be caught falsifying Harvard records, a completely more serious issue to be practising without a license.

He did pass the BAR exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd forgotten he'd passed the Bar exam. Because I'd forgotten that I thought it made sense that Jessica would have been concerned his name be scratched from the case. I interpreted it that he was practicing illegally.

Looking at things now from Mike's perpective, wouldn't he be better off moving to another firm as he's got his qualification? Certainly it has to be a Plan B for him if things go south and the world finds out?

Personally I'd like to see them make an exception now and make him a fully participating member depsite his having not attended Harvard. Scotty's fencing with Louis over the by-laws certainly shows there's room for this to happen. It's a much bigger move than getting Louis thrown off an internal committee but he's mor ethan capable of acquiitng himself now.

I'd imagine in the long run also that, for Harvey, it'd be a good thing to see the firm in the hands of his student, and someone as capable as Mike.

The Harvard-Only rule seems a little contrived now and certainly created plenty of drama in the early days but the characters have outgrown this now. In the light of recent episodes, it's hard to justify Mike being motivated in the longer term. We all like to get recognition for our work, even if it's just something small. There's no point in being a great genius if nobody knows about it.

I hope they'll develpe this theme for the rest of the season and either send Mike to Harvard (unlikely) or dramatically change the rules to accomodate him. It'd make for great drama as I'm sure it could certainly involve Harvey being indebted to Louis to ensure his support.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He is practising illegally, they've mentioned it a few times now. He needs a law degree as well as passing the BAR to be able to practice. Technically, he'd need the law degree before even applying for the BAR but we can put that down to artistic license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

why is rachel still with mike....didnt he cheat on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

jenjenten wrote: »
    why is rachel still with mike....didnt he cheat on her.

Wha?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Wha?:confused:

Yeah with that other girl. Can't remember why she took him back now... it's been so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

squonk wrote: »
    I'd forgotten he'd passed the Bar exam. Because I'd forgotten that I thought it made sense that Jessica would have been concerned his name be scratched from the case. I interpreted it that he was practicing illegally.

Looking at things now from Mike's perpective, wouldn't he be better off moving to another firm as he's got his qualification? Certainly it has to be a Plan B for him if things go south and the world finds out?

Personally I'd like to see them make an exception now and make him a fully participating member depsite his having not attended Harvard. Scotty's fencing with Louis over the by-laws certainly shows there's room for this to happen. It's a much bigger move than getting Louis thrown off an internal committee but he's mor ethan capable of acquiitng himself now.

I'd imagine in the long run also that, for Harvey, it'd be a good thing to see the firm in the hands of his student, and someone as capable as Mike.

The Harvard-Only rule seems a little contrived now and certainly created plenty of drama in the early days but the characters have outgrown this now. In the light of recent episodes, it's hard to justify Mike being motivated in the longer term. We all like to get recognition for our work, even if it's just something small. There's no point in being a great genius if nobody knows about it.

I hope they'll develpe this theme for the rest of the season and either send Mike to Harvard (unlikely) or dramatically change the rules to accomodate him. It'd make for great drama as I'm sure it could certainly involve Harvey being indebted to Louis to ensure his support.

To be honest, I don't think it's because he didn't go to Harvard that Jessica took his name off the case. My reading of the situation is that, due to her statement that, something along the lines of "being in the public eye is akin to being under a microscope". For this reason she is protecting the firm because his education would be public record then and anyone who has the inclination to do some digging would find out that Mike did in fact never go to Harvard (other journalists, Harvard Alumni and such). Soon as he mentions what year he graduated, actual Alum would be very quick to contact the mag and inform them that he never attended. The more in house they keep that fact the better for the firm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

pajopearl wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think it's because he didn't go to Harvard that Jessica took his name off the case. My reading of the situation is that, due to her statement that, something along the lines of "being in the public eye is akin to being under a microscope". For this reason she is protecting the firm because his education would be public record then and anyone who has the inclination to do some digging would find out that Mike did in fact never go to Harvard (other journalists, Harvard Alumni and such). Soon as he mentions what year he graduated, actual Alum would be very quick to contact the mag and inform them that he never attended. The more in house they keep that fact the better for the firm.

So why not send him off to get qualified and forget about Harvard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Yeah with that other girl. Can't remember why she took him back now... it's been so long.

You must mean Trevor's girlfriend from season 2,Jenny.No, Mike was with her before he ever banged Rachel in the store room:P

So why not send him off to get qualified and forget about Harvard?

Because now he has history. Why would you go to a lesser law school anywhere in the country if you've always got a harvard degree? If he did that he might as well tell the whole world his secret as it would automatically raise eyebrows anyway!!!

• Advertisement

You must mean Trevor's girlfriend from season 2,Jenny.No, Mike was with her before he ever banged Rachel in the store room:P

That must be it. Wasn't there a bit where Rachel walked in on them at his apartment? Didn't she come back and have a one night stand with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

There was also the girl he met at his granny's funeral.

There was also the girl he met at his granny's funeral.

Tess wasn't it? Some bird ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Because now he has history. Why would you go to a lesser law school anywhere in the country if you've always got a harvard degree? If he did that he might as well tell the whole world his secret as it would automatically raise eyebrows anyway!!!

Yale Law is actually ranked higher than Harvard. It's a ludicrous premise that a company would refuse to hire a Yale graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭squonk

It would raise eyebrows within the firm. He's in a catch22 situation for sure. If he continues on the course he's on he's screwed because Harvey will always get the full credit for his achievements and he risks being outed really. If he takes a degree from a lesser school he's going to be outed, but at least he can practice legitimately and, as things go, he's going to rise anyway. He's an excellent lawyer in his own right.

If it was me, as both outcomes appear to lead to the same place i.e. him being outed, I'd act now and get my degree if I was him. Even more so as he's now at the point where he's trying to build a life with Rachel. With his memory and his experience so far, actually getting the degree would be a piece of piss you'd think.

In the real world he would of just applied to Stanford and went there with rachel. Left the East coast behind and started without any history. Harvey could have easily built him up as a para-legal or something to get him a good history

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

If he got a legit law degree, how would he explain working as a lawyer for the years before that?

There are plenty of school specific firms, regardless of whether Harvard is the best.

he wouldn't have to explain it. Just enrol as a mature student and pretend that his career started after college

he wouldn't have to explain it. Just enrol as a mature student and pretend that his career started after college

So why is he doing a JD again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The idiot should be happy. Its the writers creating drama where none exists. He has his dream job and gets to practice law, Harvey and Jessica know his secret and are cool with it, he has the acceptance of his peers, and he finally got the girl. "Oh I'll never get the credit!" is suddenly an issue? Boo f*cking hoo.

Seriously. This whole storyline is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm not yearning for the days of Hessington Oil and the magic blue folder plot twists every five minutes but they are portraying Mike as a self centered spoiled brat. And why would he ever consider leaving the job he's always wanted to join some guys company and do.....what exactly? Talk about algorithms all day? :p

It's silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Really good episode last night, i think a lot of us saw the twist with who got the heart attack. Didn't really feature prominently anyways. Interested to see what happens with Mike now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Yep, good episode. It sets up the rest of the season perfectly Although it would've been interesting to see
    Mike in Iowa for 3ish years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What season of suits are they on in the states guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What season of suits are they on in the states guys?

Season 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

miralize wrote: »
    Season 3

Must loon around on line later.i downloaded around x mas every episode and watched them back too back I take it if there's new episodes airing in the states there brand new so must get them after

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well that was interesting! I think if anyone of us got that offer to join the new company we would be taking it! He could be much more wealthier and have a better career by moving, for those who saw the preview
    of course he tells harvey as he is his guru who he bounces everything off and is looking to him for advice, which he gives him and then see's Scottie ask him is he going to leave Mike leave? Harvey is stuck between a rock and a hard place it seems. For Mike to continue working there he'll have to go legit or else he leaves and its the end of the show!?

Kirby wrote: »
    The idiot should be happy. Its the writers creating drama where none exists. He has his dream job and gets to practice law, Harvey and Jessica know his secret and are cool with it, he has the acceptance of his peers, and he finally got the girl.

Completely disagree.

He's trapped in the position he has. Regardless of what he accomplishes, it's too dangerous to have him in the spot light, let alone move up the corporate ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i think mike will stick with law for the remainder of the show and then take up the job offer he got (i wonder how many zeros were on the letter), the business world doesnt require degrees and whatnot, so it would be a perfect job for mike to transition to after 5-6 years in law, he has a ceiling that he can reach as they have said, hes not quite at it yet, but will be in a few years and when he hits it he can simply move on, realistically he can do whatever he wants, and id say jessica and harvey will be happy to let him go, it would solve so many issues for them,

loved louis in this episode, he back to his best after some of the dire stuff with cats and mud, hell the whole cast are back to their best the last few episodes, like i said the show works better with cases of the week than season long cases,

Idk, as a lawyer, I see Mike's predicament big time. I think if that job was as an in-house counsel he would have taken it. But certainly would disagree with calling him self-centred. He can't be a junior associate forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was ready to give up on this with the Hessington rubbish- they tried being serious and it didn't work. Basically the show has to be a comedy - its based on a guy with no qualifications working at a top notch law firm and getting away with it. Thankfully we're back to character based comedy that looks like it wasn't written by a committee.
    Which brings me back to the conversation Jessica had with him - he has to stay beneath the radar. In reality, he'd be used a a legal consultant (or JobBridge slave with a suspiciously heavy paypacket) and wouldn't be anywhere near a courtroom. but then we wouldn't have a show.

Advertisement