Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people keep rottweiler and pitbulls?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Genuine offer, and I've made it a few times to people.

If your in Dublin and want to meet a some bullies I'd gladly let you meet and play with my guys.

attachment.php?attachmentid=121231&stc=1&d=1279842248

attachment.php?attachmentid=121232&stc=1&d=1279842331

We've never met anyone who didn't immediately fall in love with the bullies, in fact one poster in this thread got his Staffy after meeting Richo & Ruby!.

They look so proud and cool! :cool: Especially the dude on the right (your left)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

kylith wrote: »
    Why do people have pitbulls? THIS is why people have pitbulls.

For those without time/video: two pitbulls living rough for at least 2 years are trapped and happily accept food from completely unknown humans who then carry them around, bathe them and generally fuss over them without so much as raising a lip.

That was an amazing video. I posted it in AH videos so more people are aware of how affectionate they can be.

On Sky News, it was reported in America that 5 pitbulls killed a 5 year old girl. Story is here. Now people want tighther control on them/some want them banned completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lrushe

Wrongly euthanised...

Family dog killed after trying to save dying owner

Cleveland, OH - It appears that breed misconceptions may, yet again, have contributed to the euthanasia of a beloved family dog.
    According to a recent story, faulty assumptions caused the death of a loyal companion that valiantly tried to save his dying owner.

In April, the Cleveland Municipal Court ordered that Zeus, a 140 lb Rottweiler, be euthanized for "the mauling death" of his owner, Carolyn Baker.

Baker, aged 63, was found dead in her driveway in February. Authorities assumed that the 140 lb dog had mauled his owner after seeing a few bite marks on her body.

The assumption was wrong. According to Cuyahoga County Coroner, Frank Miller, Carolyn Baker's body did have a few bite marks, and some evidence of pawing, but the woman died from a heart attack and hypothermia, rather than from a vicious dog attack.

According to the coroner, it appears that Baker's dog was trying to help bring his ailing owner inside to safety, hence the paw and bite marks. Rather than a vicious mauling death, the wounds sustained on Baker's body were caused by a frantic pet attempting to drag his beloved owner inside to warmth and safety.

Baker was lying outdoors in the cold for several hours, clothed only in her nightgown. Zeus barked continuously until a neighbor finally came out to see what the problem was.

Zeus paid for his efforts with his life. The 9 yr-old dog was put to death via court order. Carolyn Baker's family now knows the truth, thanks to the coroner's report, and they too believe that Zeus had tried to save Carolyn's life.

One has to wonder what might have happened to the dog if he was a Labrador Retriever, or Standard Poodle....perhaps a bit more investigation before an assumption of "vicious mauling death".

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

did this not happen in the uk last year or the year before aswell? I think an elderly man collapsed on the street and his rottie who was trying to help him by dragging him was shot by the police who arrived on the scene. or maybe that was a dream :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

lrushe wrote: »
    Wrongly euthanised...

Family dog killed after trying to save dying owner

Cleveland, OH - It appears that breed misconceptions may, yet again, have contributed to the euthanasia of a beloved family dog.
    According to a recent story, faulty assumptions caused the death of a loyal companion that valiantly tried to save his dying owner.

In April, the Cleveland Municipal Court ordered that Zeus, a 140 lb Rottweiler, be euthanized for "the mauling death" of his owner, Carolyn Baker.

Baker, aged 63, was found dead in her driveway in February. Authorities assumed that the 140 lb dog had mauled his owner after seeing a few bite marks on her body.

The assumption was wrong. According to Cuyahoga County Coroner, Frank Miller, Carolyn Baker's body did have a few bite marks, and some evidence of pawing, but the woman died from a heart attack and hypothermia, rather than from a vicious dog attack.

According to the coroner, it appears that Baker's dog was trying to help bring his ailing owner inside to safety, hence the paw and bite marks. Rather than a vicious mauling death, the wounds sustained on Baker's body were caused by a frantic pet attempting to drag his beloved owner inside to warmth and safety.

Baker was lying outdoors in the cold for several hours, clothed only in her nightgown. Zeus barked continuously until a neighbor finally came out to see what the problem was.

Zeus paid for his efforts with his life. The 9 yr-old dog was put to death via court order. Carolyn Baker's family now knows the truth, thanks to the coroner's report, and they too believe that Zeus had tried to save Carolyn's life.

One has to wonder what might have happened to the dog if he was a Labrador Retriever, or Standard Poodle....perhaps a bit more investigation before an assumption of "vicious mauling death".

Did the same thing not happen in London last year or the year before, the police came and shot the dog (again a Rottie) dead at the scene, believing it had attacked its owner and killed him. Then later when they watched the cctv coverage, it showed the man having a fit and the dog trying to look after him. As you say, if it had been a lab, I don't believe the same action would have been taken automatically.

Edited cos Adser has just posted the exact same thing.

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    Did the same thing not happen in London last year or the year before, the police came and shot the dog (again a Rottie) dead at the scene, believing it had attacked its owner and killed him. Then later when they watched the cctv coverage, it showed the man having a fit and the dog trying to look after him. As you say, if it had been a lab, I don't believe the same action would have been taken automatically.

Think this might be it

http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/331/devil-dogs-lies-damn-lies-media-hype/

And yet another story about these amazing dogs!

http://dogsinthenews.com/stories/070301a.php

ISDW wrote: »

SNAP :D

Glad to know I didn't dream it though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I shouldn't read those links :/

Poor dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

http://www.egar.org/memory.htm

Scroll down to "Glor" - this dog was tortured within an inch of his life by his owner. He survived against all odds and NEVER EVER wavered in his faith in humans. THAT is what loving the Bull Breeds is all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

EGAR, those are some beautiful tributes to some beautiful dogs. I'm in tears here. You'd go a long way before you'd find a person who'd be as trusting and loving as Glor after such treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Thank you. I still can't look at pics of Glor without welling up. You have no idea how much nature was in that dog, it is unbelieveable. He had squashed testicles, maggots in his tail (the vet actually nearly choked) and bone splinters in his head and body. Even on the pic you can see the dent the hammer left on his skull.

Glor was a true example of his breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is a weight pulling event being held in Spiddal by the Players Club.

To quote:

"Weight Pulling Training Day Demo and Seminar and fun family day.
    This will be held in Spiddal, Co. Galway on the 1st August 2010. There will be experts attending from Players Club UK. They will also be bringing their own strong dogs to do demo's pulling the heaviest weights you have ever seen in Ireland. They will be talking about the equipment you need, training involved and your dogs diet. There will also be a small competitions between two dogs to demonstrate the fun and excititment involved in weight pulling.there will be a dog show on the day aswel, This day is being organised by The Players Club Ireland. "

I know nothing about this group but their website suggests that there will be a lot of Bull Breeds.

I sometimes wonder if some Bull Breed owners make the perception problem worse by kitting their dogs out in spiked collars, studded harnesses & by using gothic script on their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Honestly, I'm thinking this thread could be re-titled "why do people keep rottweilers and pitbulls when they go and treat them so abominably?" Poor old Glor, but at least he ended his days surrounded by people who loved him and in a safe environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

EGAR wrote: »
    Thank you. I still can't look at pics of Glor without welling up. You have no idea how much nature was in that dog, it is unbelieveable. He had squashed testicles, maggots in his tail (the vet actually nearly choked) and bone splinters in his head and body. Even on the pic you can see the dent the hammer left on his skull.

Glor was a true example of his breed.

Ghandi said - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"

Glor's story was horrific and I am so glad that even for a short time he got to experience the good in humanity and feel safe and loved.

It is just humbling to think that Glor could have gone through that horrific treatment and still have trust, love and faith in his heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

seamus wrote: »
    I shouldn't read those links :/

Poor dogs.

Its incredible what people will do to a dog.

When I got Richot was suspected that he's been thrown into a fire as he'd a lot of burns to his belly, his testicles & willy, plus his paw's were blistered and red raw.

And the final insult which was to befall him that day was that the Ashtown pound manager decided Richo should be PTS because of his breed!.

The burns/wounds were superficial, but his breed apparently mean't he was a danger to mankind!.

We spirited Richo out of the pound with the help of a member of staff who doesn't work there anymore, under a jacket!.

It was unreal, I was driving like a bat out of hell away from the place and kept asking "Can ******* come after us and take him back?".

You should see how soft Richo is!. the poster here, CL32 can testify to that one!.

Kimia wrote: »
    Especially the dude on the right (your left)

Thanks, this is herself doing what she loves best - watching TV!..

Ruby26april09.jpg

If I want her to sit still for awhile while I do something, I put the cartoon's on TV!.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

What's her favourite cartoon?:D

antomagoo wrote: »
    What's her favourite cartoon?:D

Dail Report - she dream's of eating a Fianna Failer, says Mary Harney looks like she might be full or protein, but too high in fat content.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I haven't read the whole thread but I think that those type of dog breeds (rotties, pitbulls, etc.) just seem to attract bad people. I know obviously on this thread there are people who love their dogs but for every 1 of you good people who have lovely dogs, there are probably 5 others who just want these dog breeds because they can turn them into a terror dog, treat them like crap and then make them aggressive.

I myself love big dogs, my family has a Newfoundland and he's gigantic. He is such a gentle giant and I would never ever feel afraid in his presence. However, I am wary of smaller dogs (terriers, jack russels, etc. - I just think they can be way more aggressive than the big cuddly ones) and I admit I am afraid of pitbulls, those kind of breeds - I would cross the street if I saw one of them. Our Newf is so big and you have these small feckers of dogs coming up to him snapping and he just looks at them and doesn't react. Such idiots, I mean the size of him - he could just sit on them and he'd flatten them! But he doesn't.

Anyway, I don't want to offend anybody but I would never have a dog that is one of those "restricted" breeds - I just could not trust one of them, there is no way. And I would never get a dog that I was afraid of, it would just not be right. Same reason why I would never have a terrier either or any small dogs. I prefer the placid gentle giant so Newfoundland for me and a golden lab / retriever. Those are the only two breeds I would ever consider.

• Advertisement

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread

Usually mean's, I've read the thread titile - have my own opinions and will ignore everyone else's & post my opinion regardless.
    I haven't read the whole thread but I think that those type of dog breeds (rotties, pitbulls, etc.) just seem to attract bad people. I know obviously on this thread there are people who love their dogs but for every 1 of you good people who have lovely dogs, there are probably 5 others who just want these dog breeds because they can turn them into a terror dog, treat them like crap and then make them aggressive.

So the people here in this thread, assuming we're all good people - are in a minority of 1 in 5?, seriously?.

And this doesn't make much sense to me;
    However, I am wary of smaller dogs (terriers, jack russels, etc. - I just think they can be way more aggressive than the big cuddly ones) and I admit I am afraid of pitbulls, those kind of breeds - I would cross the street if I saw one of them. Our Newf is so big and you have these small feckers of dogs coming up to him snapping and he just looks at them and doesn't react. Such idiots, I mean the size of him - he could just sit on them and he'd flatten them! But he doesn't.

You'd cross the road to avoid a breed which has never attacked your dog, but you won't for breeds which are "aggressive", and who have attacked your dog?.

:confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dail Report - she dream's of eating a Fianna Failer, says Mary Harney looks like she might be full or protein, but too high in fat content.

Good oul Mary Harney---A model of what a "Health Minister" should look like!!!!

Beautiful dog by the way Beckham Rhythmic Party.

Hellrazer wrote: »

Beautiful dog by the way Makikomi.

Thank you.

She's a cracking little dog, she's actually behind me giving me the 'come back to bed' eyes :D

I myself love big dogs, my family has a Newfoundland and he's gigantic. He is such a gentle giant and I would never ever feel afraid in his presence. However, I am wary of smaller dogs (terriers, jack russels, etc. - I just think they can be way more aggressive than the big cuddly ones) and I admit I am afraid of pitbulls, those kind of breeds - I would cross the street if I saw one of them. Our Newf is so big and you have these small feckers of dogs coming up to him snapping and he just looks at them and doesn't react. Such idiots, I mean the size of him - he could just sit on them and he'd flatten them! But he doesn't.

Anyway, I don't want to offend anybody but I would never have a dog that is one of those "restricted" breeds - I just could not trust one of them, there is no way. And I would never get a dog that I was afraid of, it would just not be right. Same reason why I would never have a terrier either or any small dogs. I prefer the placid gentle giant so Newfoundland for me and a golden lab / retriever. Those are the only two breeds I would ever consider.

I'm not going to repeat what Makikomi said but he hit the nail on the head. :rolleyes:

Even Newfoundland's have killed :

"Fatal Dog Attacks," by Karen Delise (published by Anubis, 2002). It's a study of all of the fatal dog attacks in the U.S. between 1965 and 2001. The total number of victims is 431. A total of 37 breeds/types of dogs have killed a person in those years in the States. Included in the list of breeds/types which have killed are such unlikely candidates as the Westie, the Irish Setter, the Sainte Bernard, the benevolent Newfoundland, the Brittany Spaniel, the Airedale and even a Pomeranian-cross. Each of these have killed once. The cute Dachsund - yes, the weiner dog - has killed three times. How many times have Staffordshire Bull Terriers killed?
    Zero."

Full article here:

http://www.dogwatch.net/myths/dog_bites.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Its incredible what people will do to a dog.

When I got Richot was suspected that he's been thrown into a fire as he'd a lot of burns to his belly, his testicles & willy, plus his paw's were blistered and red raw.

And the final insult which was to befall him that day was that the Ashtown pound manager decided Richo should be PTS because of his breed!.

The burns/wounds were superficial, but his breed apparently mean't he was a danger to mankind!.

We spirited Richo out of the pound with the help of a member of staff who doesn't work there anymore, under a jacket!.

It was unreal, I was driving like a bat out of hell away from the place and kept asking "Can ******* come after us and take him back?".

You should see how soft Richo is!. the poster here, CL32 can testify to that one!.

That story has just brighted up my day. Well done for rescuing the dog:D. I would not be able to work in the pound and put a lead on these dogs knowing I was walking them to their death chamber:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I myself love big dogs, my family has a Newfoundland and he's gigantic. .

:mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

andreac wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad:

Andrea I dont think that reaction is called for tbh.

Tinkerbells comments are probably the same as what most people in the country think of the RB list.

Getting all worked and mad about it is not the way to change peoples attitudes to these breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Andrea I dont think that reaction is called for tbh.

Tinkerbells comments are probably the same as what most people in the country think of the RB list.

Getting all worked and mad about it is not the way to change peoples attitudes to these breeds.

It might be the way a lot of people think but doesnt mean im going to be happy about it.
    We have discussed through this whole thread who amazing and great all of these dogs are but Tinkerbell still says she wouldnt trust any of the RB list dogs, so yes, i am mad.

• Advertisement

I would have to agree with Hellrazer (at the risk of him fainting with shock ;)). We all know that the restricted breed list is insane but I suspect that many people would agree with it.

Even in the UK, where people are far more aware, there was no real opposition to the "dangerous" dogs ban. We have the madness of BSL but, to date, we don't have breed bans. I would love to be optimistic but I think that a ban on certain breeds is only a matter of time especially as FG have no interest in animal welfare.

When you own certain breeds you become a publicist & campaigner. I have had so many conversations about how Greyhounds make super pets when walking mine. It is up to all of us to try & inform the public.

Advertisement