Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people keep rottweiler and pitbulls?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Bonito wrote: »
    Moar pictures of the woof woofs. :)

I've posted these pics in the photo thread but just want to share them here. This dog cracks me up every day with the quirks of her personality and we look past the fact shes a Rottie, shes just our dog. Every day she does something to make me laugh but this is one of the funniest moments so far.

Came down the other morning to be greeted by this, bed has been moved several feet and thats the bottom of the bed (black bit)

Before-1.jpg

Soon as I turned the key in the door.......

DSC_0047.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

lol, now we've seen a rottie fall out of its bed !! lovely pic

• Registered Users Posts: 81,889 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

God I hate these kind of threads :rolleyes: Why do people believe everything they hear in the news or the papers? Just because you hear a 'story' in the news or read it in the paper does NOT make it true!

I am the owner of one Pitbull Terrier and 3 Stafford-shire Bull Terriers and i am delighted that I choose these breeds to be my loyal friend and companion.
    They are just like any other dog wither its a fluffy little ****-zu or Rottweiler. They will love you for as long as they can live.
    People only pick the likes of ****-zu's or Pomeranians because they are 'FLUFFY AND CUTE' While us Pitty owners like the stamina and the loyality and they way they will love you untill there very last hours.

If people dont have anything good to say about these breeds then dont comment on them! Go and educate yourself about these breeds then come back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Overheal wrote: »

dammit......... while giggling away to that i'm after setting my fella off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I hate these kinds of judgemental questions as to why someone would want a particular breed of dog. It either stems from a bad experience with a dog, which boils right down to bad ownership, or someone who has no idea what they're talking about.
    I absolutely refuse to justify my choice of dog, or even the number of dogs I own (three, for the record and I have gotten questions from some people as to why I'd want three dogs in much the same tone as if I'd taken up doing heroin). If you've got any cop on at all, you'll realise that if it's under the care of decent people, it doesn't matter what breed of dog it is. It'll be a friendly, sociable creature. Otherwise, I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Met a pit bull recently; was amazed it was so small as I had assumed they were HUGE from the adverse stuff you hear. He was as friendly as can be with me, a total stranger..

WHen the Gardai called here on a routine matter, the dogs were loose so they stayed outside the gate.

They are whistle trained now and they came in on the first blast; I was proud of them.:)

The Gardai said they were more worried re the collie than the wee one; as i told them, it is the wee one who could do more damage.. JRT/Basset Cross. '

As a child, the only aggressive dog I met was a Pekinese...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Barr wrote: »
    Not really the same league.

Why not ?

I have been around dogs all my life. All breeds, including both those you mention.

Only dog that has ever bitten me was a Jack Russell.

Brother the same only dog that ever bit him was a miniature poodle.

Properly trained and properly raised rottweiler can be the most beautiful, loyal and friendly dogs you ever met. Their intelligent, hard working and honest dogs.

A poorly raised and ill trained lab can be deadly.

Speak to a few dog trainers and see what dogs they own.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I absolutely love all dogs, my family have had dogs since I was a baby and I grew up around them so they have always had a special place in my heart, especially Rotties, they are like the biggest loveable goofs of dogs you'll find..

A friend of mine had one for years and the 2 of them were like two kids rolling around playing in the garden, out in the park etc.. I loved that dog, he was so affectionate, loyal and trusting..

I would love one but just dont have the space or time to look after one yet, but someday soon I will.. :)

You mistreat a child, it will have issues in later life, you mistreat an animal, it has the same effect.. what do people expect? I believe they should have laws like they do in Europe about who can own a dog and do regular checks to see if the dog is being properly cared for and treated.

I heard a very disturbing statistic the other day on the radio, I think it was on newstalk, Ireland had put down approx 6500 dogs last year and in Scotland, a comparable country with population and dog owning population and they had only put down a quarter of that iirc.. it just shows that a lot of people in Ireland are not capable of owning and taking care of dogs..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I heard a very disturbing statistic the other day on the radio, I think it was on newstalk, Ireland had put down approx 6500 dogs last year and in Scotland, a comparable country with population and dog owning population and they had only put down a quarter of that iirc.. it just shows that a lot of people in Ireland are not capable of owning and taking care of dogs..
    A lot of the problem is breeders. Dogs which aren't sold or which are past their "best" are often abandoned and end up in rescues or pounds.

Greyhound breeders in particular are notorious for dumping massive quantities of dogs who don't make the grade and greyhounds don't have a reputation as a family pet here. The Irish rescues export an enormous amount of greyhounds to the UK where they are a typical family pet, but we also have to put down an enormous amount of dogs abandoned by Greyhound breeders. Estimates are that around 10% of the dogs PTS in Ireland are Greyhounds, but that doesn't include those dogs destroyed on the breeders' property (i.e. ones which couldn't be sold).
    A quick google gives estimates of 15,000 greyhounds destroyed each year in the UK and Ireland by breeders, the vast majority of which are born in Ireland (due to non-existent legislation and enforcement).

We are the absolute pits when it comes to this stuff. For some reason there seems to be little appetite in politics to address the problem of mistreating animals, even though it would appear that most people have or have had a pet at some point and so would be sympathetic to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Me and my mate were going out for a few drinks the other night.

I was meeting him at his house and he was going to be twenty minutes late.
    I jumped his fence to get in and what appears? A giant big scary rottweiler who's only seen me three times spread out over a few years. Friendliest thing ever, just lay down at my feet and wanted the cuddles.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 babbar sher

I am really glad the this question was raised because I'm happy to see that so many people out there don't base their assumptions on hear say or that stupid RB list. As for the one's who think the RB list gives a true & fair view of the dogs on that list, then its your wish but the government comes out with a lot of legislation that doesn't make sense to the common man, but you wouldn't pay such emphasis on that would you, people would say its stupid politicians who don't know how to run the country. So why the RB list? Get to know the dogs, research about the breed you want, be prepared to give the dog excercise and discipline and more than likely your dog will be a very well behaved balanced dog irrespective of the breed of the dog.

I think this debate clearly reflects the fact that a lot of perceptions about the RB dogs are not true. Glad to see so many people stand up for their rotties & pit bulls etc!

And as I said earlier I have 3 of my own. A rottie, a lab & a jacker. The most aggressive of them of all is the lab who dominates the jacker & the rottie, and the second in line is the jacker of tries to dominate the others, the rottie doesn't know what dominance or aggression is, and it is a fact!

Good luck to everyone with their dogs!

This is my Pitbull Terrier 'Boots', he is 2 years old and such a big softie ;) We took him in when he was just a puppy for a ''few days'' lol because was going to be PTS :confused:. We grew very attached to him and decided to keep him ourselfs:D Now he lives with us and his 3 Staffordshire Bull Terrier buddies_=]

We are part of Ireland's Pitbull Terrier Association which is a group of Pitbull owners who promotes responsible ownership,training,events and so much more. Some of our group is taking part in ''The Good Citizen Dog Scheme'' and they are coming on in leaps and bounds.
    Here are few pictures of 10 of the members training for The Good Citizen Dog Scheme.
    IPBTADOGTRAINING.jpg
    IPBTADOGTRAINING1.jpg

Blesington2010068-2.jpg
    BootsWalk2.jpgBootsPuppy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I love that "Good Citizen Dog Scheme" idea. Maybe you guys should develop a brand - some kind of badge that could be put on a lead/collar/harness which would advertise the fact that you are a responsible owner with a well trained dog. It might just reassure people who are prejudiced against certain breeds.

MsFifers wrote: »
    I love that "Good Citizen Dog Scheme" idea. Maybe you guys should develop a brand - some kind of badge that could be put on a lead/collar/harness which would advertise the fact that you are a responsible owner with a well trained dog. It might just reassure people who are prejudiced against certain breeds.

That is a brilliant idea :) I'll say it to the board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Where do you do the scheme Tara? I didn't think this was really up and running over here like it was in the UK.

Fair play to all of yis too, your pictures of the training are brilliant! :D

adser53 wrote: »
    Where do you do the scheme Tara? I didn't think this was really up and running over here like it was in the UK.

Fair play to all of yis too, your pictures of the training are brilliant! :D

They do it in Malahide im not sure where exact. Here is some info

We are pleased to announce that 10 members from IPBTA have started their Good Citizen Dog Scheme, a big thank you to those who are taking part with their dogs our association would like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best of luck for the next coming weeks of training.

The Irish Kennel Club runs a test procedure for pet owners which will help ensure that your canine companion will be a respected member of the community.

The purpose of the GOOD CITIZEN DOG SCHEME is to educate dog owners and those people thinking about acquiring a dog, how to ensure that their canine companion will be a respected member of the community.

Responsible ownership is the answer and it is hoped that through Pet Training Classes around the country we will encourage owners to participate, and be rewarded not only with a rosette and certificate, but truly enjoy a rewarding relationship.

The scheme is under the control of the Irish Kennel Club. Clubs and Training Classes must gain approval from the Irish Kennel Club to hold a Good Citizen Test.

The test is by no means a competition, but designed to assess and officially recognise those dogs who are Happy, Loyal and Well Behaved Companions.

Being a responsible owner means looking after your dog properly in feeding, training, exercise and grooming. You must always ensure that you pet never causes trouble to any member of the Community – Remember not everybody likes dogs! You must also make sure that children in the family are taught from an early age to care for and respect their canine friend.

In building up a relationship both you and your pet can enjoy many years of companionship.

Trainer is Mr.John Ward From Dublin Dog Training .
    Have a look on our forum to see even more pictures and videos :)

Thanks Tara :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Tara, do you know if there are other good citizen schemes open to owners of RB dogs who are not pitbulls? It's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Bonito wrote: »
    You can get affection from any dog. Just because a charles looks cute it doesn't mean they can't be vicious little feckers. I know more smaller dogs than big dogs,like staffs, rotts and pitts, that are more aggressive.

lol i had the tamest pitbull ever and had to get rid of her because...........my JACK RUSSELL kept attacking her the poor dog couldnt fight back to save her life op the dogs are only bad if thier raised bad, saying that i wouldnt get a pitbull unless it was a pup and i knew i could bring it up as i wanted to not the way most are unfortunatley brought up

• Advertisement

TaraR, what a beautiful dog. That second to last picture, you can see how sleek and shiny his coat is and how lean he is. I can see how people might feel wary of such dogs because of their appearance, but you could say that about a big muscular person walking towards you on the street.
    If all dogs and people were properly brought up and taught respect and manners, we'd have fewer problems in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Interesting; I was with friends today who have small dogs and are great with them.

BUT they really believe that pit bulls are naturally and always aggressive. I tried to explain but made little headway. TV and newspapers have a lot to answer for.

Love the story re the JRT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

to make themselves look tough

sealgaire wrote: »
    to make themselves look tough

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good one

The thing is though, it's the dog that looks tough, due to their physique. The person can just end up looking like a poser wannabe. I've seen a few swagger around town with their big dogs and I find them ridiculous. If you want my respect, have a dog that walks to heel and behaves itself. Or at least, be committed to your dog and its well being, and look upon it as being an intelligent member of your family rather than a status symbol.

I'm sorry, but this type of thing really offends and bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I don't think these dogs have a reputation for being vicious, as such, not to my knowledge anyways. Their reputation is surrounded by the fact that should these dogs go mental (they are animals after all and even humans go mental) the damage caused is far greater than when a jack russel, for example, goes mental.

People who let young children climb all over these potentially lethal dogs are idiots as far as i'm concerned.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    People who let young children climb all over these potentially lethal dogs are idiots as far as i'm concerned.

People who think these dogs are any more lethal than, say a lab or saint bernard, when it comes to kids are idiots as far as I'm concerned. You don't levae any child with any dog unsupervised.

If a dog is well-trained and has proper manners, it won't go "mental", regardless of the breed. A responsible owner will be able to ward off any unsociable behaviour and remove it from the upsetting situation so nothing untoward happens.
    Kids shouldn't climb over dogs anyway, they should be taught how to properly treat the animals and when it's appropriate to give them a hug or sit in close to the dog. It all boils down to people getting these breeds and not knowing what the hell to do with them when they grow out of the cute pup stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    And that is EXACTLY why the RB classification is so dangerous. It allows people to think "oh he's not a RB he must be safe".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

adser53 wrote: »
    People who think these dogs are any more lethal than, say a lab or saint bernard, when it comes to kids are idiots as far as I'm concerned. You don't levae any child with any dog unsupervised.

Well, we know they are more lethal when reared wrong, or go mad or whatever. I'm sure a case of a Lab or Saint Bernard killing a child would get a lot of attention in the news just like the case with the foxes in England a few weeks ago.

But essentially i agree with your point, kids should never be left unsupervised with dogs.

LucyBliss, chances are it won't go mental but dogs are susceptible to mental illness just like any other animal including ourselves. Difference being your dog can't turn around to you and tell you all about it.

Advertisement