Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yawlboy wrote: »
    HI Fergal, just a personal thing but I really don't like Gold with Silver (Chrome) - perhaps Silver leaf?

YB

I'm not a big fan of gold and silver mixed myself but it's already in the boat, the bezels on the clocks are gold "they were cheep":) plus I have a polished brass prop and a polished stainless steel rudder and trim tabs. :confused:

oldscool4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

ah now the prop and rudder are under the water - I was on about the visible bits when the boat is in the water. sure you can get the clocks chromed :P

Seriously it is a gorgeous boat and anything you do will only enhance it. ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yawlboy wrote: »
    ah now the prop and rudder are under the water - I was on about the visible bits when the boat is in the water. sure you can get the clocks chromed :P

Seriously it is a gorgeous boat and anything you do will only enhance it. ;)

They are only under the water when I'm on the water, when your stuck behind me on the motorway for 3 hours I would like to offer an aesthetically pleasing ass to look at :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

id go for silver myself. id say there is a lot of bling yet to be put on. something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭airsoftone

i kinda like that silver kinda personalizes the boat .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lazywhole

hey fergal,

what made you decide that it was the glen-l design that you were going to build and not some other designer ? great job by the way,im trying to pluck up the courage to build a power skiff myself

Hi lazywhole :) I'd say it was their forum that clenched the deal knowing that if I had any problems I could just ask and someone would help me out. Also the plans are full size so no lofting. If you do decide to go for it I will help out any way I can but you might have to change your user name :D

just as amatter of interest fergal what did you do with the donour boat !

have a look here ..http://youtu.be/nrdTNzDugTw

airsoftone wrote: »
    just as amatter of interest fergal what did you do with the donour boat !
    :D I sold it on without the trailer and everything striped, the guy that bought it was going to put an outboard on the back.
    DSC00587.jpg

• Advertisement

yeah that one . what did you ever do with it .. ????

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

I remember seeing that boat up on DD a good while back, looked like he never got around to putting the outboard on it either.

breghall wrote: »
    I remember seeing that boat up on DD a good while back, looked like he never got around to putting the outboard on it either.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was still for sale :D The seats were so bad looking I entered them into an ugly boat seat competition on iboats and won:) a new set of seats that I was going to use on this boat but they turned out to be the wrong colour :Dhttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150139193353780&set=a.312605203779.145373.268788468779&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

That coving behind the seats in the cockpit at 4:13 in that video looks lovely. You want to retro-fit them ?

gutteruu wrote: »
    That coving behind the seats in the cockpit at 4:13 in that video looks lovely. You want to retro-fit them ?

I might be making something like one of them to cover the engine air breather if I put them on the back I would have to make new seats to match :eek:

I found a boat with the same name :)

560929_10152311810490463_1358957153_n_zpsdfb0f2d4.jpg

For my next little job I'm going to use some plastic tubing,pipe insulation and leatherette.

20131230_124205_zpsyj7smds5.jpg

I'm going to try and make a crashpad to go around the cockpit something like this.

DSCN5803.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

Looks impressive!

I started off cutting strips of leatherette and gluing them around the tubing all 16 foot if it, I could have sewn it but I'd need a piping foot for the machine.

20140109_164951_zps71d0f789.jpg

This is the edge I want to cover.

20140109_1150531_zps7cec1be0.jpg

It's just glued on for now to hold it in place as I will be stapling on the leatherette that covers the foam crashpad.

20140109_130206_zpsef826700.jpg

This is the foam covered I need 11 foot of this.

20140109_165248_zpsbfa550d0.jpg

And this is the look I'm going for with the piping.

20140109_172643_zps57ca2028.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭toshiba2010

how do you come up with these,s idea,s . :cool:

• Advertisement

how do you come up with these,s idea,s . :cool:

Pennilessity is the mother of invention :)

that,s so true . since i bought that boat of mine i found that out quite quick . with buying . life vest,s for me and the other half . rope fender,s & bit,s & bob,s plus the cost of petrol not to mention two stroke oil . it all add,s up . but i have to say it,s the best few bob i ever spent in my life the freedom is unreal .

i ment to ask you where did you get that material i,m looking to get some cheap material to cover the seat,s in the boat . and i,m going to do it my self to save money . can,t be that hard .

I had a good look around for it and this was the cheapest I could find http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fire-Retardant-FR-Faux-Leather-Leatherette-Leathercloth-Fabric-54-137cm-PVC-/121033388625?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric&var=&hash=item61d06965dd I was quite surprised it was so cheep :)

thanks fergal your a gentleman as allway,s :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

fergal.b wrote: »
    I had a good look around for it and this was the cheapest I could find http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fire-Retardant-FR-Faux-Leather-Leatherette-Leathercloth-Fabric-54-137cm-PVC-/121033388625?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric&var=&hash=item61d06965dd I was quite surprised it was so cheep :)

Is that right £1.75?? + postage?
    Its €20 per metre in hickey's or anywhere else really.
    (sorry thats just a sample, its £9.95 per metre,

whats ordering and delivery like?

coleria wrote: »
    Is that right £1.75?? + postage?
    Its €20 per metre in hickey's or anywhere else really.
    (sorry thats just a sample, its £9.95 per metre,

whats ordering and delivery like?

I paid £5.95 for 1 metre x 142cm, no problem with postage.

Another job done :)

20140117_133601_zps468db5e9.jpg

20140117_133629_zps79224be8.jpg

Added the name and Trim tabs :)

20140122_122036_zps507199eb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

that turned out very well indeed. well done Fergal.

Advertisement