Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

moonshadow wrote: »
    A certain hotel owner might swap the lot for her tomorrow when he sees it !!

I have a feeling he might feel hard done by alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Well done , well done, excellent job, best of luck in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I presume the wheel will be orientated as in this photo for straight ahead.
    $(KGrHqN,!q0E88giHgFlBPl1RSYig!~~60_12.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Best of luck with it Fergal, it looks smashing , post us a video if you can too ....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The launch went well and the boat ran great up to 40 MPH then she started proposing so I may have to add a few wedges to act as trim tabs, she sat well in the water and level with my water line "shame it was the top of my waterline" :D I will try and get a video up later. Thanks to Dermot for the photos.

62862_10202071225132804_158584342_n_zpscf20444d.jpg

1235103_10202071245453312_1003878147_n_zpse84bf9de.jpg

574577_10202071262253732_1532033483_n_zps729d4884.jpg

1234190_10202071253133504_1282702732_n_zpsb722a569.jpg

625409_10202071282014226_1484170880_n_zps041267d4.jpg

20130920_162135_zps5ba516ed.jpg

20130920_162119_zps5a1fca0c.jpg

555853_10202071300254682_918603567_n_zps8b16ee56.jpg

1280496_10202071288654392_1040943390_n_zps1aa790ac.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Fascinated by this thread - you are some craftsman Fergal.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭airsoftone

wow she looks great fergal . where were the photo,s taken looks cool there .

airsoftone wrote: »
    wow she looks great fergal . where were the photo,s taken looks cool there .

Wineport on lough Ree the owner bought my last boat and a few free weekend were thrown in to sweeten the deal :D

Here she is, for some reason it was very quite in the boat but the wife said she could hear me from the hotel room ;)

man that is the coolest boat i have ever seen . what motor is in her . and is lough ree private and where is it .

Fergal,

That looks absolutely fabulous! I doff my cap to you my good man. It is a stunning job and the engine up front really makes the boat.

How do the wedges work to cure porpoising??

And not too far off on the water line markings, but we know you'll remedy that being the perfectionist that you are...

Stunning work well done once again. I'll have to see it in person some day.

• Advertisement

have to see it in person some day !!!!!!!!! if i seen that boat in person i would have to have a spin in her . i could not leave without going for a spin in her . that would make my hole year she is fantastic . mr bond eat your heart out . great work fergal she really is a credit to you .

breghall wrote: »
    Fergal,

That looks absolutely fabulous! I doff my cap to you my good man. It is a stunning job and the engine up front really makes the boat.

How do the wedges work to cure porpoising??

And not too far off on the water line markings, but we know you'll remedy that being the perfectionist that you are...

Stunning work well done once again. I'll have to see it in person some day.

The wedges are angled bits of wood shaped a bit like a doorstop and work like trim tabs they fit on hull at the back but don't extend passed it like your standard ones.

airsoftone she is a rebored 5Lt GM same as a mercruiser. Lough Ree is the second largest lake on the Shannon and is open to all :D Where I was is killinure lake one of the inner lakes at Glasson, Athlone, Co,Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Spotted the finished pics over on Glen-L so came here for a look. Fantastic job. Proper craftsman. I could stare at it all day.

cheers fergal thanks for the info . keep coming back to this page to look at the craftsmanship that you have built she is one cool looking boat .. best of luck with her .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Forgot to ask, whats the next project ? Riveria is a lovely boat :D You will need a bigger porch though.

gutteruu wrote: »
    Forgot to ask, whats the next project ? Riveria is a lovely boat :D You will need a bigger porch though.

Maybe a 50's pickup or hotrod to tow her with.:D

R_C_Feb_10_art2_med_detail.jpg

I might be doing a little radio interview on the build tomorrow at 3.30 on Dublin City radio :eek: Not really my thing "Talking":) but if you want to listen in you can here http://tunein.com/radio/1032-Dublin-City-FM-s9123/

20130919_161643_zps18c5cec4.jpg

20130919_161607_zpsc63614da.jpg

20130919_161547_zps1cca7bbe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hopefully will be tuning in on the way to work :)

Best of luck, rather you than me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

That is F%$KING AWESOME

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

Good luck with the interview. BTW did you have her out for a spin on Skerries Bay recently? Thought I saw a boat like her from Hampton Cove.

• Advertisement

Talent wrote: »
    Good luck with the interview. BTW did you have her out for a spin on Skerries Bay recently? Thought I saw a boat like her from Hampton Cove.

I did bring her down just to put ass in the water on the trailer and do a little test on the engine but I didn't go for a spin. "well spotted ":)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Came across very well on the radio Fergal, or should I say, 007!

Crap! Didn't get to listen in after all. Do you know is there's a podcast or recording???

I couldn't find a podcast but I recorded it and uploaded it to photobucket "might work just click the pic" seems like it only let me do 10min's but you get the gist of it.

th_medium_zps949ed8e0.jpg

Great interview! Well done :D

I'm only sorry I couldn't hear the end of it.

What a story!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IreJohn

White plastic ha ha ha ha ha

Well done
    Fergal, you're a braver man than I am to do that sort of thing...

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Great interview! Well done :D

I'm only sorry I couldn't hear the end of it.

What a story!

Here is a bit more, if only computers were made of wood and moving parts :D I may have found an easier way of doing it. I tried to upload a sound bite but no joy:confused: I think it's only missing a few min's.

th_Radiointerview-Medium1_zpse7ba2dda.jpg

I better stick in the last bit as it mentions Boards:D

th_radiointerviewpart2-Medium_zps7947fb6e.jpg

Just a nice little video of Brendan lawless making a boatbuilders chair.

http://vimeo.com/75565419

• Advertisement

well done mr bond . pity i did,nt get all of the interview but i got the general gist of it . now you are famous . as for the boat chair would love one of those for my shetland 570 could see myself steering the shetland sitting in it . good video . .

fair play to you fergal .

Advertisement