Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Cheers, I don't think it took too much away from the back of the boat as I didn't go for a bright gold I also did it in two lairs black first and then the gold to give a 3D effect that didn't work right with just the gold and wood.

20140122_121923_zps02ecd7e6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

the tabs turned out very well, is there much room for adjustment on them?
    Have you taken her out for a spin yet to see if they eliminated the porpoising?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have the full length of the turn buckle to adjust them down from just about level so there is a good bit to play. I haven't tested her yet and won't get a chance till her official launch on Lough Ree on the 1st of March.

With or without the bow light :confused: what do you think :)

20140219_135617.jpg

20140219_141013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭lockmaster

without less is more .:) looks a great boat .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

without. maybe a nice shiny cleat

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

less is more, methinks, too.

The light is a quite rare 50's " Attwood seaflite riviera" http://www.moaaad.org/results_detail.php?AdvSearch=725 if that helps and it can also be used as a cleat :) Might just have to use it as a wall light if it doesn't get any likes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I'm afraid that it's a bit large and might spoil the flow along the deck. One fitting is enough. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you make the engine cover.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I like it with :)

• Advertisement

id have to agree with james its a bit more classy without it.id say its more suited to on top of a wheelhouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Without . Cleaner lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

I'm with the majority on this too.... without.

Shame, it is quite a novel peice of kit esp seening as it doubles as a cleat also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Without: The deck of a wooden boat is like a woman's hairdo - must be perfect without attachments - and nothing improves the appearance of wooden wood unless, of course, you drape a woman with a perfect hairdo across the foredeck.

I'm hoping to varnish and re-launch my wooden wood mahogany boat this summer and I hope that the tranquility under sail isn't disturbed by wakes from certain powerboats, unless, of course, there's a woman with a perfect hairdo draped across the foredeck.

Hmmm! In the event that the hairdo isn't perfect after tearing around the bay, clinging to the foredeck, other attributes may be considered.

By the way, old people like me are allowed to be sexist.

Well when you put it like that ........I'll see what I can do:D

1601310_587543341314895_1815931099_n.jpg

Good luck with the restoration and sure if you don't get around to it this year you could also stick a girl on the deck to tidy it up :)

3721642_bf84f63421_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

That is a seriously nice boat your creating there fergal. She is a beauty, great work.

Cheers kfod I was hopping to have her finished for her launch and christening on the 1st of March but all the bad weather I'm a bit behind :( with the finishing touches so she will be launched as is.

jamesM I did start to make up a hatch for the engine but then thought I might save up for some low profile aluminium exhausts that would allow the hatch to be flush with the deck except for the air intake. The saving is not going too well so I might have to go back to the old hatch or make a new one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

I Like it, definitely with

I cant find a good photo of one on a wooden boat but here's one on an odd looking 1959 CarAqua .

1455167_561777853891444_881781250_n.jpg

270300_505985369470693_1886402484_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

BrensBenz wrote: »
    ....... and nothing improves the appearance of wooden wood unless, of course, you drape a woman with a perfect hairdo across the foredeck.

Hmmm! In the event that the hairdo isn't perfect after tearing around the bay, clinging to the foredeck, other attributes may be considered.

By the way, old people like me are allowed to be sexist.

So, the two ladies in post 411 are for you, I'll take either from #407:) (just to prove that this old person is not ageist :p )

fergal.b wrote: »
    jamesM I did start to make up a hatch for the engine but then thought I might save up for some low profile aluminium exhausts that would allow the hatch to be flush with the deck except for the air intake. The saving is not going too well so I might have to go back to the old hatch or make a new one :)
    I had a look at the builders photos on the Glen site, but nothing very inspiring there - especially the guy who has an air intake from a 1970s F1 car :D
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    I had a look at the builders photos on the Glen site, but nothing very inspiring there - especially the guy who has an air intake from a 1970s F1 car :D
    Jim.

I do have these vents.

20130725_150201_zps5a79f30d.jpg

And was thinking about doing something like this with a chrome mesh across the front of it.

pic483k-81.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

And was thinking about doing something like this with a chrome mesh across the front of it.

pic483k-81.jpg

Looks really nice. Really think some people ruined their boats on Glen-L by just making a big ugly square box.

gutteruu wrote: »
    Looks really nice. Really think some people ruined their boats on Glen-L by just making a big ugly square box.

The square box :D type boats are more than likely aimed at the first time builder or someone that is not used to woodworking they can be a quick,easy and cheep way of getting on the water. My first boat was boxy but had all the mod cons :D

020-1.jpg

I think that Gutteruu means that the engine covers/vents were boxy :). Those vents should work, built in to a streamlined cover.
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    I think that Gutteruu means that the engine covers/vents were boxy :). Those vents should work, built in to a streamlined cover.
    Jim.

Yep I think your right :o

pic876-1.jpg

The square box :D type boats are more than likely aimed at the first time builder or someone that is not used to woodworking they can be a quick,easy and cheep way of getting on the water. My first boat was boxy but had all the mod cons :D

020-1.jpg
    how was this put together screws or was it fiberglassed?

• Advertisement

davlacey wrote: »
    how was this put together screws or was it fiberglassed?

Brass screws and glue I didn't know what fiberglass was back then :D

Advertisement